Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,350 members, 7,868,021 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 09:06 AM

Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas (7797 Views)

Unforgettable Sights At The 2015 Presidential Inauguration / Rights Group Stop Buhari's Planned Visit To UK, Sights Human Rights Violations. / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 1:10am On Mar 26, 2011
Justcash:

[b]LOL! It is funny to see how some Nigerian Yorubas are trying hard to feel like Europeans and Americans just to exhibit their hatred for Eastern Nigeria. Do you know that When you move from Lagos state to Imo state, you will feel a real breath of fresh air? Ok let's do it like this,

Apart from Lagos state, Which other state's capital in the West is comparable to Owerri, Enugu, and Umuahia in terms of cleanliness and urban development?
Do you know that in terms of Juju (Rituals), no Eastern city or state is comparable to Ijebu ode alone?
Do you know that the Crime rate in Lagos alone is far more than that of any of the South Eastern states?
Where d'heck did you hear that Igbos eat foreigners? If it is about history, did Yorubaland not have Cannibals?
Do you know that talking of the Eastern region as a whole (Including Rivers, CRS and AKS), the most naturally beautiful cities in Nigeria (Not built with oil money) are in the East?
The most Nigerianised, widely traveled and welcoming Nigerians are from the East. Unlike the West and North that always descend on Easterners for no just course, Easterners exercise extreme restraint about that, because life is valuable to us. The last time we attacked Northern Muslims was because truck loads of dead Easterners that were killed in the North arrived in the East, and caused some retaliation. That was the first ever in the history of the East.

Please tell me if the Cities (Glorified villages) in Ondo, Ogun, Oyo and Ekiti (Lagos is a more National state due to its former fed. capital status) is comparable to those in Imo, Abia, Enugu and Anambra.
If Oyibo dey read this stuff now, in go think say we dey talk of the West as in America and co, not knowing that it is about some glorified slums and villages in western Nigeria. Sigh.
No insult intended. I am stating facts. I travel from the West (Lagos) to the East (Owerri) to have a breath of fresh air, have peace of mind, enjoy and rest from all the Hustling and bustling, red eyes and strong faces. I am always in an "Ngwori " mood in ala Owerri, and we spray cash in that mood, yet no one approaches us as an alaye to tax us, talkless of kidnapping me. Small boys kidnap rich people in the East to siphon money, but when the gong sounds, they leave their victims and run. They don't slaughter them. Anyway, there is no more kidnapping in the East.
If you don't wish to come to the East, then fine. We won't know that you exist. Just don't complain about us coming to the West. that is where we will have some problems with you.[/b]

ok every state in the west is shit FINE but even then I wont live in the East. For me its Lagos Ibadan Okure Abuja or AMERICA UK CANADA- ASIDE FROM THAT HELL NO TO THE EAST the west can be FULL OF DIRT HUTS BUT I WILL STILL NEVA LEAVE THE WEST
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 1:13am On Mar 26, 2011
WE LOVE OUR "GLORIFIED VILLAGES" fine

ah ah is it by force to wanna live in the East?

ekt_bear:

What exactly is going on here

If I don't want to visit the SE, I have "hatred for Eastern Nigeria"? Look, Calabar is fine, I'd like to visit there. Port Harcourt is a swell city, I like it too. But me not having much interest in going to the SE means I'm hating "Eastern Nigeria"?

When did it become by force to go there?

Do ya'll work for the ministry of tourism, or something?  grin grin grin Why the defensiveness and insecurity? Digressing into stories about "extreme restraint", etc.

If you like it better than the SW (or elsewhere in naija), fine. . . nothing spoil.

Man, next some dude from Utah is going to tell me I'm racist against Mormons because I've no interest in going there. . . when did the world start revolving around you

my brother I live on the East coast  America and I dont plan on living on the west coast or down south(aside from Miami and ATL) ! lol I dont know what the big deal is

I like Calabar too not PH tho BUT I DONT PLAN ON LIVING AND INVESTING IN EITHER AREA LOL
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 1:17am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

What exactly is going on here

If I don't want to visit the SE, I have "hatred for Eastern Nigeria"? Look, Calabar is fine, I'd like to visit there. Port Harcourt is a swell city, I like it too. But me not having much interest in going to the SE means I'm hating "Eastern Nigeria"?

When did it become by force to go there?

Do ya'll work for the ministry of tourism, or something?  grin grin grin Why the defensiveness and insecurity? Digressing into stories about "extreme restraint", etc.

If you like it better than the SW (or elsewhere in naija), fine. . . nothing spoil.

Man, next some dude from Utah is going to tell me I'm racist against Mormons because I've no interest in going there. . . when did the world start revolving around you

I dint even notice that you even intended to visit the East. The truth is that whether you visit there or not, nobody will notice you. So stop feeling like Yoruba is written on your forehead and your "Prick" is made of gold. There are thousands of Yorubas in the East, living good and happily as Nigerians. So, your presence won't be noticed. It is totally your choice to go or not, don't ask for views like a foreigner before trying to visit any Nigerian state. It is not as if you are not Nigerian and used to the general Nigerian rot that is also in the West.
Recently, Jimoh Ibrahim's mum was kidnapped in her Igbotako home in Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State. I bet because of the IGBO in IGBOtako, it will mean that it is Igbos that did it? Ondo is also in the East abi?
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 1:20am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

WE LOVE OUR "GLORIFIED VILLAGES" fine

ah ah is it by force to wanna live in the East?

my brother I live on the East coast  America and I dont plan on living on the west coast or down south(aside from Miami and ATL) ! lol I dont know what the big deal is

I like Calabar too not PH tho BUT I DONT PLAN ON LIVING AND INVESTING IN EITHER AREA LOL

Nah, I dint say that it is by force for you to live in or visit the East. I am just saying that you guys should stop talking as if the West is any better.

Where you wish to visit, live and invest is totally your choice. I aint canvassing for you to come to the East. why should I? it's not like you will make any difference.  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 1:24am On Mar 26, 2011
Justcash:

Nah, I dint say that it is by force for you to live in or visit the East. I am just saying that you guys should stop talking as if the West is any better.

Where you wish to visit, live and invest is totally your choice. I aint canvassing for you to come to the East. why should I? it's not like you will make any difference. grin grin grin grin grin grin

exactly why i think the West is better cause I know I can make a difference cool

If ibo think east is better I wont even argue Id be like ok. great lol I think the west IS better. but thats my personal opinion.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 1:26am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

exactly why i think the West is better cause I know I can make a difference  cool

If ibo think east is better I wont even argue Id be like ok. great lol I think the west IS better. but thats my personal opinion.

Good that you noted that IT IS YOUR PERSONAL OPINION.  If I may ask, what do you have to offer that an Easterner does not have? Lol! Do you know that the Easterners move to Lagos State to gain competitive advantage? Everything is in the East, so we move to the west to take advantage of the lack of competition from Westerners in the West.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 1:27am On Mar 26, 2011
@sbeezy8:

I feel you. There are like 5 or 10 cities in the US which I'd consider settling longterm. Imagine if some jackass wants me to add names to the list just to massage his ego?

People have a lot of gall. If you don't like, go hug a transformer
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by AljUche: 1:28am On Mar 26, 2011
i hav lived in the east before and i can tell you they have nice cities

the only people is the language unlike port harcount and lagos where broken english is mixed with the local language

all in all,.,, , the east is very clean and less stress than the west i mean lagos
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by jason123: 1:34am On Mar 26, 2011
Its like Yorubas are very proud of themselves and their acheivements  undecided . Please guys, be humble. Humble yourselves. The Igbos are your brothers. Forget this internet wars. The truth is that, an economy with with a workable relationship between igbos and yorubas will be anybody's dream especially the us in the SS. Do you know that SS has suffered because you so-called big brother ethnic groups cannot work out the best interest of the South Take a look at the North, they do not discriminate against themselves because they see each other as one. Take a look at Alj Harem, Abu-mayram etc and how they defend the North NOT Hausa or Fulani or Kanuri but the North!!! Yes, the yorubas have their brothers across the border and all but what will it take to include igbos in this family

The Igbos are also very independent and proud  but what will it take to trust the Yorubas If its the civil war, every group has their own story to make them look goo to the world but lets reason here, the war was fought but 3 Brothers about 45 yrs ago and the other 2 brothers reconciled with their third brother. This war was fought by our fathers and grand fathers not US. We are the new generation filled with energy and pride. We have intermixed so much that our founding fathers will never believe it could happen. We are Nigerian and PROUD!!! Whether igbo, yoruba we are one with a common interest but different approach. I have Igbo "brothers" and Yoruba "brothers" and we see each other as Nigerians not ethnic groups.

About Lagos, Lagos is Yoruba land in Nigeria whether you like it or not. But it is also the Nigeria we never had. It is a place were everyone drops their identity and become Lagosians. It is a de-tribalised city with every ethnic group in Nigeria in it. With that said, we should also make efforts not to disturb the peace by increasing the insecurity levels among locals.

I am a proud Nigerian!!!!
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 1:35am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

@sbeezy8:

I feel you. There are like 5 or 10 cities in the US which I'd consider settling longterm. Imagine if some jackass wants me to add names to the list just to massage his ego?

People have a lot of gall. If you don't like, go hug a transformer

Nobody asked him to add names, and nobody will ever ask him to do so because he is inconsequential. He gat nada to offer. It's like saying that a Chinese will beg you to come to China and manufacture stuffs when you are not even an entity in biz. Sigh.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 1:38am On Mar 26, 2011
jason123:

Its like Yorubas are very proud of themselves and their acheivements  undecided . Please guys, be humble. Humble yourselves. The Igbos are your brothers. Forget this internet wars. The truth is that, an economy with with a workable relationship between igbos and yorubas will be anybody's dream especially the us in the SS. Do you know that SS has suffered because you so-called big brother ethnic groups cannot work out the best interest of the South Take a look at the North, they do not discriminate against themselves because they see each other as one. Take a look at Alj Harem, Abu-mayram etc and how they defend the North NOT Hausa or Fulani or Kanuri but the North!!! Yes, the yorubas have their brothers across the border and all but what will it take to include igbos in this family

The Igbos are also very independent and proud  but what will it take to trust the Yorubas If its the civil war, every group has their own story to make them look goo to the world but lets reason here, the war was fought but 3 Brothers about 45 yrs ago and the other 2 brothers reconciled with their third brother. This war was fought by our fathers and grand fathers not US. We are the new generation filled with energy and pride. We have intermixed so much that our founding fathers will never believe it could happen. We are Nigerian and PROUD!!! Whether igbo, yoruba we are one with a common interest but different approach. I have Igbo "brothers" and Yoruba "brothers" and we see each other as Nigerians not ethnic groups.

About Lagos, Lagos is Yoruba land in Nigeria whether you like it or not. But it is also the Nigeria we never had. It is a place were everyone drops their identity and become Lagosians. It is a de-tribalised city with every ethnic group in Nigeria in it. With that said, we should also make efforts not to disturb the peace by increasing the insecurity levels among locals.

I am a proud Nigerian!!!!

Left for me o! I hope the newly discovered gas can convince western Nigerians to seek for their own country. We need to divide, especially if we cannot unite. There is nothing like "Divided unity". Ndi Igbo don't need natural gas to progress. We need good leadership, which we can enforce.
IT IS ONE NIGERIA OR NO NIGERIA! NOT OIL AND GAS ONE NIGERIA, MIGRATION NO NIGERIA!!
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 1:39am On Mar 26, 2011
jason123:

Its like Yorubas are very proud of themselves and their acheivements  undecided . Please guys, be humble. Humble yourselves.
Who in this thread has shown pride? That I like my homeland and don't want to visit someone else's means I'm arrogant   A bit illogical, no?

I reject this accusation of pride. There is nothing wrong with liking what you have.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 1:48am On Mar 26, 2011
Justcash:

Good that you noted that IT IS YOUR PERSONAL OPINION.  If I may ask, what do you have to offer that an Easterner does not have? Lol! Do you know that the Easterners move to Lagos State to gain competitive advantage? Everything is in the East, so we move to the west to take advantage of the lack of competition from Westerners in the West.

great do you know why westerners stay in the west? because we can sit in the west and still be billionaires LOL. I dont care about compeitition people I know are trying to trade stocks and investment bankers, Oil Telecoms def not worried about competition "trading goods" thats what yoruba women do LOL.

I mean Guys dont even need to be in Lagos I can be based in Ibadan or Akure

Obatoil oil chairman is Based in his TOWN WHERE HES OBA. LOL but hes a billionaire. keep coming to the west Only making dudes like Adenuga, Okoya, Folawiyo, kola daisi, Otudeko, Jimoh, richer because they dont trade they own coporations, stocks, investment banking. - to a yoruba thats whats popping not compeition among alaba workers
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 1:50am On Mar 26, 2011
I dont have pride In the west because im from the West.

I dont see the point of going to the East aside from Calabar. and thats only because it can be beach resorts near the ocean.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by AljUche: 1:51am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

great do you know why westerners stay in the west? because we can sit in the west and still be billionaires LOL. I dont care about compeitition people I know are trying to trade stocks and investment bankers, Oil Telecoms def not worried about competition "trading goods" thats what yoruba women do LOL.

Obatoil oil chairman is Based in his TOWN WHERE HES OBA. LOL but hes a billionaire. keep coming to the west Only making dudes like Adenuga, Okoya, Folawiyo, kola daisi, Otudeko, Jimoh, richer because they dont trade they own coporations, stocks, investment banking. - to a yoruba thats whats popping not compeition among alaba workers

haba is that not too much angry

u think say na only you get lagos angry

we have igbos, SS and northerners that have made it in lagos eg dangote etc

why are you people getting above yourselves angry angry angry angry

i would start laying clim to lagos as well ooo angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by jason123: 1:54am On Mar 26, 2011
Justcash:

Left for me o! I hope the newly discovered gas can convince western Nigerians to seek for their own country. We need to divide, especially if we cannot unite. There is nothing like "Divided unity". Ndi Igbo don't need natural gas to progress. We need good leadership, which we can enforce.
IT IS ONE NIGERIA OR NO NIGERIA! NOT OIL AND GAS ONE NIGERIA, MIGRATION NO NIGERIA!!

First of all, the discovery of oil and gas does not mean it must be tapped. If the East goes, I can bet my phone that your economy will still be based on oil. Why? Because you or Nlanders do not make the decisions, it is your politicians. Secondly, in a few years down the line, it will probably be a "mini-Nigeria" with the oil communities screaming marginalisation. The same will happen with the SW.

When there was no Oil and gas, we still had Southern Nigeria with the iGbos and Yorubas in it(pre-amalgamation time and after), didn't we The East and West were one of the fastest growing economies in the world. In fact, we were approaching global dominance, so what happened Civil war Come of it man, most igbo will probably say NO to a country without yorubas. I am sure the same can be said about the West but a little more reluctant. Now, you should ask yourselves, why?? It is not because they hate igbos or anyone, but after the Afonja scenario, they became . . . . . more cautious! and will you blame them This is strictly my opinion, btw.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 2:02am On Mar 26, 2011
Alj Uche:

haba is that not too much angry

u think say na only you get lagos angry

we have igbos, SS and northerners that have made it in lagos eg dangote etc

why are you people getting above yourselves angry angry angry angry

i would start laying clim to lagos as well ooo angry angry angry

HAHAH claim Lagos if you want I like many yorubas dont care I mean outside NL your average yoruba knows where he comes from. Migrants who come to Lagos and SW just happen to mix in with the yoruba population anyway. I myself must admit Im not 100% yoruba at all but im very yorubanized like my parents and I consider myself a yoruba.

Yorubas arent leaving Lagos so what should it matter to us who comes to Lagos. larger market for Coporations, and more babes you know us yorubas like babes
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 2:12am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

[b]Well, we are not talking about billionaires here, or stocks. I am trying to tell you that Igbos move to Lagos state to take advantage of the lack of competition from Yorubas. Average Yorubas don't trade as much as average Igbos. This is why Igbos may not have the richest people in Nigeria, but in terms of spread of wealth (As in number of millionaires), Igbos cannot be competed with.
We trade, make money, pick up young Igbo youths to teach them how to trade, then we settle them off with capital for them to go and become wealthy too and touch the lives of the younger generation of Igbos. That is the cycle. Average Igbos are rich. We have " plenty Cashmoney" grin because we do the raw business. Even very educated Igbos like me still settle for biz. After doing my masters in the UK, all my fellow Nigerian graduates that were mainly Yorubas decided to work or lecture to earn pounds. I left them and flew to Asia to do biz. You cannot compare the Pound to Yen or Yuan remimbi, but still I make 10 times more money than them. I even took some boys from my hometown to teach them the biz, and they are now earning far more than my Yoruba mates that took jobs and lecturing careers. Not that what they did is bad. I may not be the richest man in Nigeria, but I gat Cash. I have also made several families to make the same cash. That is the story of average Igbos. 
So it is not really about having billionaires, it is about the spread of wealth and comfort. I cannot be using Emeka offor and Ibeto to make a point when I can use myself to do same. Those Alaba boys that you mentioned with reckless abandon earn more money than you. Most of them are millionaires, with comfortable homes and lives in the East. [/b]
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 2:25am On Mar 26, 2011
^-- Ultimately, people just have different objectives in life. Probably about 4-5 years ago, I wanted to be a professor of some sort. If I went down that route, I'd likely top out at $150-200k a year (at least in pure salary, not mentioning any side gigs/investments.)

However, recently I've decided I'd instead rather focus on making money. I'll (hopefully) top out at at least an order magnitude more in annual salary.

There is nothing wrong with either option. If one prioritizes money (as I do now), fine and well. If something else (like I did before), also good.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 2:36am On Mar 26, 2011
@justcash great for ibos wink

If teaching a class, being a lawyer, being a doctor or sitting in an working is what they (yorubas) want to do thats fine.

But I cannot TELL YOU the amount of yoruba guys I know who ahve finished their grad school and have coporate business BACK HOME/West not in Japan buddy.

and I dont think Alaba boys make more money than me cause I dont even work yet - when I finish my grad school I have NICE COPORATE/WHITE COLLAR JOBS waiting for me in Naija wink

If alaba boys made more money than I doubt they would even be at Alaba smiley
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Justcash(m): 2:38am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Ultimately, people just have different objectives in life. Probably about 4-5 years ago, I wanted to be a professor of some sort. If I went down that route, I'd likely top out at $150-200k a year (at least in pure salary, not mentioning any side gigs/investments.)

However, recently I've decided I'd instead rather focus on making money. I'll (hopefully) top out at at least an order magnitude more in annual salary.

There is nothing wrong with either option. If one prioritizes money (as I do now), fine and well. If something else (like I did before), also good.

You are right. Taking your point, you can also say that people migrate to other places for different reasons. I only started contributing to this thread because of the laughable insinuation by some folks here that Igbos migrate to Lagos state because Igboland is less developed than Western Nigeria.
Igbos migrate to Lagos for the same reason that an American company would decide to migrate to china, a Chinese biz man would prefer to live in Nigeria  etc. Moreover, we are talking of Nigerians in Nigeria, so there should be no question about Nigerians deciding to move to other lands in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 2:42am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

If alaba boys made more money than I doubt they would even be at Alaba smiley

Volume sorts of things like retail, trading, etc can be pretty profitable. Imagine doing $1 million worth of merchandise a week, having a gross profit margin of 1% (which is fairly small.)

Trading has a bad rep amongst Yoruba, but if you do the math can be pretty good. . . assuming you can get the volume.

I'm more interested in manufacturing though. I feel it adds more value to society than just buying and selling.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ideylaff: 2:42am On Mar 26, 2011
Please can we keep this thread as informative as possible no need for tribalism on here. Thanks
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 2:45am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Volume sorts of things like retail, trading, etc can be pretty profitable. Imagine doing $1 million worth of merchandise a week, having a gross profit margin of 1% (which is fairly small.)

Trading has a bad rep amongst Yoruba, but if you do the math can be pretty good. . . assuming you can get the volume.

trading not my style - reminds me of my aunties who sell things in their shops LOL
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Afam4eva(m): 2:47am On Mar 26, 2011
Justcash:

[b]Well, we are not talking about billionaires here, or stocks. I am trying to tell you that Igbos move to Lagos state to take advantage of the lack of competition from Yorubas. Average Yorubas don't trade as much as average Igbos. This is why Igbos may not have the richest people in Nigeria, but in terms of spread of wealth (As in number of millionaires), Igbos cannot be competed with.
We trade, make money, pick up young Igbo youths to teach them how to trade, then we settle them off with capital for them to go and become wealthy too and touch the lives of the younger generation of Igbos. That is the cycle. Average Igbos are rich. We have " plenty Cashmoney" grin because we do the raw business. Even very educated Igbos like me still settle for biz. After doing my masters in the UK, all my fellow Nigerian graduates that were mainly Yorubas decided to work or lecture to earn pounds. I left them and flew to Asia to do biz. You cannot compare the Pound to Yen or Yuan remimbi, but still I make 10 times more money than them. I even took some boys from my hometown to teach them the biz, and they are now earning far more than my Yoruba mates that took jobs and lecturing careers. Not that what they did is bad. I may not be the richest man in Nigeria, but I gat Cash. I have also made several families to make the same cash. That is the story of average Igbos. 
So it is not really about having billionaires, it is about the spread of wealth and comfort. I cannot be using Emeka offor and Ibeto to make a point when I can use myself to do same. Those Alaba boys that you mentioned with reckless abandon earn more money than you. Most of them are millionaires, with comfortable homes and lives in the East. [/b]

Well said.

Igbos have proven beyond reasonable doubt that even illiiterates can become millonaire. It's not about having the Dangotes or Ibetos of this world but by having the wealth go round. The number of millonaires or billonaires of Igbo extraction is the highest of any African ethnic group. The so called white collar workers don't even earn a quarter of what those so-called Alaba illiterates make.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 2:49am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

trading not my style - reminds me of my aunties who sell things in their shops LOL

Agreed, not my style either.

Thing though is if you have a market of 18+ million people (Lagos State), then it can really be a gold mine.

But as I said. . . doesn't really add that much value to society, imo. Not much job creation, no value added (in terms of taking X, Y, and Z and making product A), etc.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 2:50am On Mar 26, 2011
afam4eva:

Well said.

Igbos have proven beyond reasonable doubt that even illiiterates can become millonaire. It's not about having the Dangotes or Ibetos of this world but by having the wealth go round. The number of millonaires or billonaires of Igbo extraction is the highest of any African ethnic group. The so called white collar workers don't even earn a quarter of what those so-called Alaba illiterates make.

Id rather be a doctor prof/teacher/ lawyer/ Civil servant or coporate finance.

even if I can make 2 mili weekly trading in Alaba Godforbid.- even thinking about it is making my head hurt.

im not knocking it but dont mean shiot to me.

ekt_bear:

Agreed, not my style either.

Thing though is if you have a market of 18+ million people (Lagos State), then it can really be a gold mine.

But as I said. . . doesn't really add that much value to society, imo. Not much job creation, no value added (in terms of taking X, Y, and Z and making product A), etc.

true I mean thats why I think people esp in the SW are thinking in coporate term everyone cant be a businessman or woman.

and what some make trading can be less than what a teacher lawyer civil servant or someone who works for a coporation makes. I need ASSURED MONEY and SALARY till im ready to set up my own coporation the word Business doesnt mean anything to me. I can sell pencils and make little money and call myself a businessman
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 2:55am On Mar 26, 2011
^-- Personally what I want to do is to pack the people of the SW into factories. Go the same route the US went, from a primarily agricultural society to a manufacturing one.

There are countless stories here of uneducated immigrant types working factory jobs to send their kids to school to become doctors, lawyers, etc.

China is pretty much doing the same thing. . .

Anyway, I think we know what we need to do in the SW, just need to do it undecided
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Afam4eva(m): 2:58am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

Id rather be a doctor prof/teacher/ lawyer/ Civil servant or coporate finance.

even if I can make 2 mili weekly trading in Alaba Godforbid.- even thinking about it is making my head hurt.

im not knocking it but dont mean shiot to me.

true I mean thats why I think people esp in the SW are thinking in coporate term everyone cant be a businessman or woman.

It's very important for south-westreners to go to school because that kinda seems like the only way they can make a livelihood. But for the Igbos it's a two way street. Whether you go school abi you no go you can still make it in life and big time for that matter.

And who says south-westerners don't trade. So according to you every south-westerner is thinking corporate including the Tomato and pepper sellers, The meat sellers. Pls guy be real. Everyone trades the only difference is that the Igbo people are better at it and do it at the highest level.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by sbeezy8: 3:06am On Mar 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Personally what I want to do is to pack the people of the SW into factories. Go the same route the US went, from a primarily agricultural society to a manufacturing one.

There are countless stories here of uneducated immigrant types working factory jobs to send their kids to school to become doctors, lawyers, etc.

China is pretty much doing the same thing. . .

Anyway, I think we know what we need to do in the SW, just need to do it undecided

I was thinking that exactly

theres soo MANY ELITE people in the SW sitting on Money. everyone cant be a business person some just need Jobs in the factories and up to managers.

its starting tho cause guys like Okoya, Folawiyo,Otudeko etc have manufacturing coporations. Thats where stocks come into play- so it cant be avoided

Big business is where its at honestly

Im tired of everyone tryin to sell everydamn thing from tooth brushes on the street to pure water its annoying.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by ektbear: 3:10am On Mar 26, 2011
afam4eva:

And who says south-westerners don't trade. So according to you every south-westerner is thinking corporate including the Tomato and pepper sellers, The meat sellers. Pls guy be real. Everyone trades the only difference is that the Igbo people are better at it and do it at the highest level.

Trading in basic commodities isn't going to be very profitable. . . meat, tomato, simply too widely available. Unless you are the guy who imports from the north and ships to the south.

Regarding the latter comment, maybe, I dunno. I certainly don't see ya'll doing anything better than us here in the US. But perhaps things are different in naija.

sbeezy8:

theres soo MANY ELITE people in the SW sitting on Money. everyone cant be a business person some just need Jobs in the factories and up to managers.
I don't have that attitude towards factory jobs. Personally I think they are kind of 'noble', somehow. I dunno. Maybe I'm romanticizing 'em because of the impact I know they had in the US and in China.
Re: Nigeria Sets Sights On Natural Gas by Afam4eva(m): 3:11am On Mar 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

its starting tho cause guys like Okoya, Folawiyo,Otudeko etc have manufacturing coporations. Thats where stocks come into play- so it cant be avoided

Big business is where its at honestly

Im tired of everyone tryin to sell everydamn thing from tooth brushes on the street to pure water its annoying.

They are selling pure water because they want to be their own boss and not work for you and your factory for little or nothing. people have become wiser you know. You just want to use people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Policeman Kill Okada Rider In Lagos / Nnamdi Kanu Arrested Wearing Fendi Worth 760,000-photo / How Obiano's Wife Went Half Naked, Hit People With Broken Bottles Over Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.