Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,909 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Why Buhari Over Ribadu? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Over Ribadu? (2481 Views)

Ministerial List: Why Buhari Holds On To 15 Other Nominees / Fayose Warns Apc And Buhari Over Attacks On pres. Jonathan / Northern Youths Challenge Buhari Over Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 8:24am On Mar 27, 2011
For those with a brain hence not voting for Silverback Gorilla Jonathan. What are your reasons for Buhari over Ribadu?

Mine is the other way round, even though I have admiration for Buhari to an extent.

I prefer Ribadu because of his commitment, zeal, record, no nonsense (like me), objectivity, detribalisation, political cabal supporters, inspirationalism, likely Gen X thinking, bravery and untarnished image with corruption.

Why do you prefer Buhari over Ribadu?

Buhari has 3 weakness in my view:

1) Statement in 2003 that muslims should only vote for muslims (High concern)
2) Military background (Low concern)
3) Age and hence thinking (Moderate concern)

On the other hand, lets look at the useless incumbent.

GEJ's Profile
No track record.
No achievements.
Lacks inspiration.
Full of Goofs.
Very very slow mentally.
Complicit in corruption.
Unpresidential utterances.
Unpresidential association with/celebration of criminals.
No plans for the nation.
Represents business as usual for corruption.
Has admitted he is not fit for the job.
Has not done anything as President so far.

Utterly useless man!
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 8:35am On Mar 27, 2011
fstranger3:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=inspirationalism

Nuff said!

The type of reeetards that will do anything a dictator tells them with zeal without using their brains are dangerous to society. Example:

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44Exz46Ymw[/flash]

Nuff said!
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 27, 2011
in libyan society, do women normally go to foreign reporters with allegations of r.ape?

just asking.

God forbid bad thing.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by ektbear: 8:39am On Mar 27, 2011
Practically speaking, Buhari commands a large following in the NW, NE, and NC zones. Ribadu does not. So if you want to defeat the incumbent, Buhari represents the best possible chance.

Otherwise, they'll likely be similarly effective (at least, in my opinion.)
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 8:39am On Mar 27, 2011
tpiah!:

in libyan society, do women normally go to foreign reporters with allegations of r.ape?

just asking.

God forbid bad thing.

Did she have any other options?

Who else can she go to?
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 27, 2011
seems too coincidental.

i'd think her first option would be her family, friends and local officials.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 8:46am On Mar 27, 2011
tpiah!:

seems too coincidental.

i'd think her first option would be her family, friends and local officials.

Coincidental? How?

Who could possibly set it up and for what benefit?

What will family and friends be able to do against authorities in Libya?
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 27, 2011
Sagamite:

Coincidental? How?

Who could possibly set it up and for what benefit?

What will family and friends be able to do against authorities in Libya?

you have a lot to learn.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 8:48am On Mar 27, 2011
tpiah!:

you have a lot to learn.

Please teach me.

I like being educated.

The floor is yours.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 27, 2011
i already did.

her story needs to be investigated, not just taken at face value.

i'm not saying r.ape doesnt occur, but this particular incident is a bit too opportunistic.

such cases make it harder for other victims.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 27, 2011
Tinubu

i have been a staunch supporter of tinubu's fight against pdp

but i cannot stomach or fathom the business of imposing his wife etal as senators

i also beleive that buhari is more uncompromising than ribadu

sanusi tye rigidity is needed at this juncture to save nigeria, imho
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 27, 2011
the twins. grin
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 8:58am On Mar 27, 2011
tpiah!:

i already did.

her story needs to be investigated, not just taken at face value.

i'm not saying r.ape doesnt occur, but this particular incident is a bit too opportunistic.

such cases make it harder for other victims.

Think about it for a second.

Why would anyone, absolutely anyone, volunteer to be an actor in a situation where they would be taken away by Ghaddafi's agent to an unknown, unaccounted for fate in the private dungeon's of a brutal and psychotic dictator?

Lets not start thinking like a Community College Hoodrat that is claiming to be on a Medicine course in Princeton when Princeton does not offer Medicine.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 9:06am On Mar 27, 2011
fstranger3:

Nuff said!

I love Tpiah

Taking our so called highly reeetaerded intelligent Bristol graduate to school!

PAWNED!
Anyway, need to get back to my books! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oh, they provide books for repeat drug-dealing offenders on short sentences? grin grin grin grin grin

Is the wing of the Correctional facility called "Princeton"  by any chance? grin
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Wadeoye(m): 9:11am On Mar 27, 2011
I hate to see treads like this - trying to compare Buhari with Ribadu. How? Buhari and Ribadu are poles apart. Who is Ribadu? Who wants Ribadu to be president of this country apart from Ribadu himself and probably businessman Tinubu?
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 9:20am On Mar 27, 2011
Wadeoye:

I hate to see treads like this - trying to compare Buhari with Ribadu. How? Buhari and Ribadu are poles apart. Who is Ribadu? Who wants Ribadu to be president of this country apart from Ribadu himself and probably businessman Tinubu?

Ribadu is the superstar.

Several intellectual people want to see Ribadu as President.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 9:42am On Mar 27, 2011
@Sagamite.

Good thread. I agree with the reasons you listed for choosing Ribadu over Buhari . My reasons are precisely the same . I have met Ribadu in the UK a few times. His energy and passion for Nigeria and Nigerians is palpable. The man is very bright despite people thinking otherwise because he does not speak like Obama. For those who are eloquent themselves  , and thus not distracted by oral profficiency, it is easy to concentrate on the qualities that are important in our next President . Ribadu has them all in my opinion. I like and respect Buhari immensely and , pragmatically , I feel he is probably the best chance , even with innate limitations, for Nigeria to gain leadership that will surely move us forward .

Most of the time I like to work with science and logic rather than sentiments. I think this has gotten me reasonably far in life. I rarely gamble and never leave anything to chance, "divine intervention" or "luck" . In that respect, I have to support Ribadu ahead of Buhari. Ribadu has been deliberate and sytematic . Buhari has not done much since leaving office . That is dissapointing . Let us remember that evil thrive when good men do nothing. With that in mind,  one can respect Gani Fawehinmi , Femi Falana and even Bakare more than Buhari and former Presidents/heads of State happy to watch while Nigeria burns . Some men don't feel they must have power to make a difference . In that respect , Ribadu is undoubtedly ahead of Buhari . The signs , if we are honest , is that Ribadu is far mor vibrant than Buhari . He understands modern opposition politics better than Buhari. Buhari has been a huge dissapointment in that aspect. There is always the option of using his considerable clout effectively,  out of office , for the benefit of Nigeria . One has to wonder if Buhari is the sort who only thinks he can deliver when he has supreme executive powers. That consideration raises new questions we best not speak about because it is obvious Gani Fawehinmi  and Wole Soyinka , for their bravery and vocal presence , may have had more real efficacy in they had the clout of Buhari - especially in a region that can make a difference if it wants to.

Nonetheless , I am mainly supporting Buhari because , overall and considering the chances of those running , he is the best chance of defeating the PDP. I have always insisted that Ribadu's best chance is for him to emerge consensus candidate of an ACN/CPC alliance . If that did not happen , then we must be pragmatic for the sake of Nigeria and our future generations unborn. One thing that I must highlight , which is vitally important , is that Buhari will not employ those who are corrupt and compromised as GEJ does with ease.

Anyone who has a first hand knowledge of West Africa , to see what some Nations are doing better than us, will realise that, above everything else , the patronage system (which GEJ subscribes to wholeheartedly) must be destroyed for Nigeria to make progress . Jerry Rawlings destroyed that patronage system in Ghana. Today you can barely see semi-illiterates leaders ridiculing Ghana's image publicly with 'shakabula' english as we witness regularly in Nigeria. The current patronage system must be replaced by a meritocratic system. only Ribadu and Buhari can give us a meritocratic system because the "carrot" temptations and innate character defects  that leads GEJ to compromise always is absent for Ribadu and Buhari. Buhari and Ribadu will never be as profligate as GEJ. Both are quite austere men not given to hedonistic materialism. Buhari and Ribadu , unlike GEJ , won't condone that disgraceful self-aggrandizement in others if they have[b] supreme executive power[/b]. Buhari or Ribadu are not interested in money and material wealth. In fact Ribadu has a lucrative job offer on the table , consultant to Afghanistan on corruption, he ignored to run as ACN candidate . It is instructive that when politics ended for Okonjo-Iweal and Ezekwesili both wen't back to high paid jobs in the private sector. This is another testimony to Ribadu's constant devotion to serving Nigeria. Some who gave their best left when they were pushed out . Ribadu did not . Buhari and Ribadu do not associate with a large number of the folks who have gotten Nigeria where it is today. Buhari and Ribadu are not mediocre men , as their time in office has shown us all,  and neither want power for any reason other than to make a difference .

In the end I prefer Ribadu but I will also be very happy to welcome Buhari as the President of Nigeria come May . As Ekt-Bear states succinctly :
they'll likely be similarly effective
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by ektbear: 9:56am On Mar 27, 2011
^-- Destroying the patronage system will be very hard, no? It isn't a new thing. From what I've read, Nigeria has been like this since the 60s, even before oil was a mainstay of the economy.

"Drastically reduce" might be a more achievable goal than "destroy."

To be quite frank. . . we really need some constitutional changes to really defeat it long term. The power of the FG is too strong. And the state governors within each state are too strong. . . this is a major roadblock to progress.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 9:56am On Mar 27, 2011
Wadeoye:

Get lost then !!!! Why are you contributing to this thread then? Na by force ? No wonder Buhari , with intolerant support such as your's , cant shake the image of intolerance for others. "who is Ribadu?" Abeg go and sit down with your silly and messianic categorisation of Buhari. Nonsense !!! Ribadu fans  have been gracious to hardline folks like you for far too long . It is folks like Ekt-Bear and sagamite I respect because they are politically savvy, moderate , pragmatically intelligent, and objective enough to see the big picture. i.e the notion of Nigeria gaining progressive leadership ahead of the desire for some of us to claim our "messiah" is  holier than everyone else !!!

Who wants Ribadu to be president of this country apart from Ribadu himself and probably businessman Tinubu?

Ridiculous nonsense from a messiah worshipper !!! Try Femi Falana , Wole Soyinka , Rotimi Akeredolu (former NBA boss) and the many, many progressive and exemplary Nigerians who have stood up for Nigeria through thick and thin. Do some research before you spout ignorant nonsense . Yes all the almajiris may want to see Buhari as President but the truth , if you are someone who admits the truth to yourself, is that Ribadu enjoys the support of the most liberal and progressive minded Nigerians. It is ungraciously egotistic thinking such as yours that has ensured we have never seen our best hands coming together to move Nigeria forward.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 9:57am On Mar 27, 2011
I think Gbawe has said it all.

For me it had to be one of the two but the moment Ribadu opted to run under ACN, I dropped my support for him. So far, he has not disappointed especially with his public denial of his statement several years ago fo Tinubu's fraudulent activities.

In addition, I strongly feel that an ACN government will not be too different from a PDP government in the loong run. It will be the same 2 steps forward, several steps backwards we've been having for 12 years now. With ACN, loads of people who 'contributed' to the campaign will have to be compensated, not just Tinubu.

That's why Im in total support of CPC. I didn't vote Buhari in 2003 and 2007 because I didn't believe he would succeed under the party structures he registered with. I am glad this time around he has started his own party i.e. the CPC. There are no godfathers to compensate. The success or failures of the CPC government will be down to the men at the top.

On Buhari's 'knowledge' or not being in tune with modern trends, I don't think this is a problem. I have told people continuously that governing Nigeria is not too hard a job. If we have a leader who truly and genuinely wants change, all he needs to do is put the right people in the right places and back them up.
The rest will take care of itself.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 10:01am On Mar 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Destroying the patronage system will be very hard, no? It isn't a new thing. From what I've read, Nigeria has been like this since the 60s, even before oil was a mainstay of the economy.

To be quite frank. . . we really need some constitutional changes to really defeat it long term. The power of the FG is too strong. And the state governors within each state are too strong. . . this is a major roadblock to progress.
I think the BB team acknowledge this issue as a main point and is an issue that should be tackled over time. The Nigerian state is a complex one. But right now, we need just the basic things - quality education, water, shelter, food.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 10:04am On Mar 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

The patronage system is indeed too endemically entrenched in Nigeria for it to be destroyed in a short time but a sincere Nigerian President can begin the process that will have far reaching effects in setting us on the path to its destruction. To an extent , every Government must make concession but not wholesale ones as the PDP does to the detriment of the nation.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 10:10am On Mar 27, 2011
proudly9ja:

I think the BB team acknowledge this issue as a main point and is an issue that should be tackled over time. The Nigerian state is a complex one. But right now, we need just the basic things - quality education, water, shelter, food.

Indeed . Who does not think the basic things will be delivered if men like Femi Falana are deployed and then allowed to work , unhindered, for Nigeria? Did OBJ not do it with Okonjo-Iweala and co , to an extent , before parochialism, opportunism and greed took over the thinking of our former President? All the talk of the problems of Nigeria being complex are self-defeatist. They are put in the public domain by the "business as usual" crew to justify the current state of affairs that sees them living opulently while everyone else suffers.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Katsumoto: 10:29am On Mar 27, 2011
I think most people choose Buhari over Ribadu for two principle reasons

1. Ribadu doesn't have much following in his own base (It appears Buhari has more support in the North)
2. Ribadu's association with Tinubu bearing in mind the perception that Tinubu is criminally corrupt whether rightly or wrongly

Also, most people prefer to back a winning horse as opposed to one with potential.

Personally, I would go with Ribadu because I believe he is young, principled, dynamic, and like Buhari, should be able to tackle corruption, which is the main problem in Nigeria. The questions that harm Ribadu's profile

1. How well can he tackle corruption when he is running on Tinubu's platform?
2. True or false, there are allegations concerning Tinubu's management of Fashola vis-a-vis contracts, etc. Can he afford not to play ball with Tinubu without a base of his own?

In light of those questions, many have just switched their support to Buhari for his perceived no nonsense attitude towards corruption and his alleged honesty.

While Buhari is able to tackle corruption, it doesn't appear that he may be able to offer more. Ribadu on the otherhand, might be restricted in his ability to tackle corruption but will likely be surrounded by smart people who will take Nigeria foreward.

Both are good candidates.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 10:44am On Mar 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

I think most people choose Buhari over Ribadu for two principle reasons

1. Ribadu doesn't have much following in his own base (It appears Buhari has more support in the North)
2. Ribadu's association with Tinubu bearing in mind the perception that Tinubu is criminally corrupt whether rightly or wrongly

Also, most people prefer to back a winning horse as opposed to one with potential.

Personally, I would go with Ribadu because I believe he is young, principled, dynamic, and like Buhari, should be able to tackle corruption, which is the main problem in Nigeria. The questions that harm Ribadu's profile

1. How well can he tackle corruption when he is running on Tinubu's platform?
2. True or false, there are allegations concerning Tinubu's management of Fashola vis-a-vis contracts, etc. Can he afford not to play ball with Tinubu without a base of his own?

In light of those questions, many have just switched their support to Buhari for his perceived no nonsense attitude towards corruption and his alleged honesty.

While Buhari is able to tackle corruption, it doesn't appear that he may be able to offer more. Ribadu on the otherhand, might be restricted in his ability to tackle corruption but will likely be surrounded by smart people who will take Nigeria foreward.

Both are good candidates.

Very balanced . All in all , a good summation of the real state of issues on the ground . I have never fooled myself that Ribadu could win if he is not the consensus candidate of the opposition because he has simply not had enough time to cultivate a support base in the region that cast its votes more clannishly than others IMO. We have to accept that Buhari , for all inherent limitations, is the best chance of defeating the PDP. If we juxtapose that consideration with the notion that he will definately fight corruption and is highly likely to employ the most meritocratically deserving and most upright Nigerians to very important office then we can conclude that , without doubt , Buhari is a better bet than Ribadu.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Dulcet7(m): 11:24am On Mar 27, 2011
Good topic, Sagamite!

Both are great candidates and Ribadu is a good idea but I dont think its time for him as president.

There is a lot of cleaning up to do, and while Buhari can do this himself, Ribadu can't. He will be used by Tinubu to witch-hunt his enemies and protect himself and allies. Just like baba iyabo did.

Buhari, I believe, will fill his cabinet on merit. We may like to remember Tunde Idiagbon.

What Nigeria needs now is a president who will
select the right people for the right posts, empower them to work, and will not hinder their work because they have some skeletons.

Right now we dont need a genius so to speak, we need a grader, a leveller. GEJ is business as usual. We need someone to birth the next level of which Ribadu is part.

I think if Buhari wins, he should place Ribadu on a pedestal where he can do useful work. This way it will be possible for Ribadu to contest for presidency on a (hopefully) proven non-corrupt platform.

This is why I will vote for BB.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 11:25am On Mar 27, 2011
Gbawe:

Indeed . Who does not think the basic things will be delivered if men like Femi Falana are deployed and [b]then allowed to work , unhindered, for Nigeria? [/b]Did OBJ not do it with Okonjo-Iweala and co , to an extent , before parochialism, opportunism and greed took over the thinking of our former President? All the talk of the problems of Nigeria being complex are self-defeatist. They are put in the public domain by the "business as usual" crew to justify the current state of affairs that sees them living opulently while everyone else suffers.
The bolded part forms my decision to support Buhari. I do not (ofcourse I may be wrong), see ACN chieftains giving free hand to such people to do the right thing. Its the same way OBJ destroyed the works of his hand when he got greedy. You see, once selfish interest is the foundation of Nation building, there cannot be much progress. For instance, I know a Falana may not keep quiet while an individual is being paid millions of naira per month from tax payers money just as compensation. And that is just one of it. Unfortunately, I think Ribadu's passion is too hot for him to work properly in a party like ACN. I can imagine the firt things he'l like to do is rid himself of the fraudsters backing him. This ofcourse we know is easier said than done.

Look at it this way, in fighting corruption, do you think Ribadu will fight others and leave the ones running around in his backyard? I respect the man personally, don't get me wrong but he lost my support when he decided to run under ACN. I am certain he will have a place in Buhari's government.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by HamidO1(m): 11:27am On Mar 27, 2011
I like this thread simply because there are no PDP m¤r¤ns in here, People that believe that after 12years without results, there isn't any need for change.
I have nothing against Buhari, the man is good and I pray God almighty continues to give him strength and good health.
I'll go for Ribadu anyday anytime except if I have Fashola has an option. Ribadu is young, sensible, clean. I repeat "clean". Considering the kind of politicians we have in this country if Ribadu had stolen a kobo, he won't be free. Ribadu is bound to set up a good team which is evident from his choice of vice president.
I have never seen him as inexperienced because there's nothing more to that office than what we see.
I like Buhari but what I have for Ribadu is called love, believe and trust.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 11:30am On Mar 27, 2011
What many people do not know is that while bakare was still at SNG, they convened meetings with people such as Ribadu, Okonjo Iweala, Fashola, ElRufai, Ezekwesili, Duke discussing issues on how to move Nigeria forward.

I want to believe these (in addition to others) will be the people who will form the core of the coming new government (ofcourse Fashola is still Lagos state governor). Its because of things like this that I have seen and heard that I have pitched my tent with the BB team.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Akpabio Of Akwa Ibom State Leaves Office / CPC Chieftain Accuses GEJ Of Drinking Kain Kain, Throws Tantrums / The Fear Of Boko Haram ( PIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.