Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? (25203 Views)

Whatsapp Group For Construction Engineers, Builders, Interior Designers And Mor / Architects And Builders In The House,pls Criticize This Floor Plan / How Do I Construct Sewer Chamber. Builders, Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by pompeiimagnus: 9:18am On Dec 21, 2020
mogbolade43693:
I even prefer woods to steel, building houses with woods is promoting the green technology.

Not entirely correct Bro. Read the reasons on this website:
https://www.google.com/amp/validus.construction/7-reasons-why-americans-prefer-wooden-houses/%3famp
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ElvisGee94(m): 9:19am On Dec 21, 2020
n3xt:
In Nigeria, when it comes to choosing the materials to construct a building, most people have cost in the forefront of their mind.

The general assumption of a rational mind is “steel construction is more expensive than the traditional brick and mortar construction.“

However, with the technological advances that have occurred in the building industry over the past decades, there are numerous alternative building solutions that not only save on cost but also allow for creative structural ideas, and innovative builds and designs that weren’t possible in the past.

One such technological advancement is prefab steel construction.

A solution for the creative minds (thinkers) and not for those with fixed mindset (the this-is-how-we-do-it guys)

Is this cheaper wen compared to Bricks
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Ikengawo: 9:31am On Dec 21, 2020
im you use steel you still need bricks. Steel is for framing and scaffolding

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Iyajelili(f): 9:40am On Dec 21, 2020
emae009:

what are the recycled materials you are speaking of??
What properties of this materials will trap carbon atoms within themselves?
Whether we cut trees to use for timber or not, those trees will still be cut and then land used for something due to the exponential growth of urbanization. This way using timber for construction helps to reduce the damage.
All the roads being constructed, the trees that were cut to make way for that, how have we replaced them?
I hope you're doing well in your profession? Because you're intelligent and confident.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by n3xt(m): 9:50am On Dec 21, 2020
mdchikezie:

BUT THIS IS JUST A TINY HOUSE, HOW ABOUT MASSIVE RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS
EVEN A TYPICAL FAMILY HOUSE WITH MANY ROOMS, DONT YOU THINK THIS WOULD BE A HASSLE.

This is 21st century. The world has witnessed a lot of technological advancements

______
Project by Cromrite in Ikota, Lagos, Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by emae009(m): 10:05am On Dec 21, 2020
Lordbinsmar:

have you heard about sustainable practices in the built environment.?

Usage of timbers for sole purpose of building and construction is not a sustainable practice. no matter how you try to defend it.

when you talk about zero carbon emission building, you think in terms of green buildings, improving the energy performance of buildings, reducing the energy consumption of building system e.g Hvacs system.

and most importantly making use of better building materials. e. g improving the u and h values of walls, windows e.t.c, better insulation materials.

also you can think about improving the construction techniques for building e.g 3d printing which leads to low energy consumption.

clearing up of forest to create environment for building is in fact one of the problems of urbanization, but complicating the problem more by relying on timbers for building purposes is not logical and also not sustainable.

My thesis was on the "Comparative Analysis of Sustainability Practices between Civil and Building Engineering Projects".
so yeah I'm vastly I know what sustainable Construction is.
Going green in terms of energy efficiency and reduction is just one part of having a zero carbon emissing building. To complete the cycle, you need materials that trap carbon from the atmosphere and timber is one of those.
A simple check on the Internet, you'll see that buildings that have net zero or negative carbon emissions are mostly constructed using Timber and you're saying Timber is not sustainable.
Sustainability is not just about reducing energy consumption, there are so many aspects to it.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by n3xt(m): 10:19am On Dec 21, 2020
ElvisGee94:

Is this cheaper wen compared to Bricks

Not really but maybe in the long term.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Brunicekid(m): 10:28am On Dec 21, 2020
Exactly...Nigeria Builders should be using Made-in-Nigeria Steel.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by emae009(m): 10:31am On Dec 21, 2020
GMBuhari:
well said and badly said

yeah clients but it's majorly budget , yes most people buy everything ,when i collect cooperative whereas educated people already have a concept in mind , it also involves concrete

Building standard certification stopped in 1802 , anybody can build anything, even local town planning offices and officers won't bother to inspect what you are doing as long you you sort it

people are poorly informed about this type ( i seen people who mocked aregbe's skeleton because of the buildings looked just like the picture above, steel all through) of building, they've never seen , heard or thought about it

talk about scarcity of materials if you have to import then it's not worth it to some people

finally money , MUuuuulaaa

you're right but why I refused to mention budget is that even Government projects still use concretes.Very few use other types of building materials
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ChuckKingston(m): 10:38am On Dec 21, 2020
onyechez:

Are you in Port Harcourt so that I can buy one, because I will be going to a shop today where I buy my clothes to shop.
No sir.
We're based in Lagos.
However, we can always waybill to anywhere in Nigeria like we've done to other customers
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ChuckKingston(m): 10:45am On Dec 21, 2020
Havilah9779:
Do you make only male footwears?
We also make for females, however, we do not have good number of design samples you can choose from. But if you have any design, kindly send it to us and we shall make it
Thank you
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ChuckKingston(m): 10:47am On Dec 21, 2020
bigAG:

You in abuja?
No sir.
We're currently based in Lagos sir.
However, waybilling to anywhere in Nigeria has become a norm for us in the past few months.
The cost of waybilling to Abuja should not exceed 2k
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by molbic(m): 10:50am On Dec 21, 2020
this is the area of my specialty but I didn't see the thread early so no need of expanciating even though I would have loved to
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by n3xt(m): 10:55am On Dec 21, 2020
molbic:
this is the area of my specialty but I didn't see the thread early so no need of expanciating even though I would have loved to

You can still do so.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by 10kgod(m): 11:22am On Dec 21, 2020
Deforestation will arise from using wood.

Unecessary rise in price of iron, steel etc will occur and btw our weather here will not allow using steel nor iron to construct building unless you get money to furnish with cooling components.

So concrete is still the best......
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ElValiente(m): 11:30am On Dec 21, 2020
ceaser:

In those days, timber is much more reliable to use in Nigeria for obvious reasons. The woods were harvested when mature. I have seen a number of old buildings with their stairs and decks made of wood and these structures hodk solidly even after several years.

However nowadays, Nigerian lumberjacks will supply you with useless wood that termite will destroy within one year. Even they cannot be sincere with the common woods being supplied for roofing and nogging let alone the whole building.

If Nigerian builders can supply you with inferior bricks, cement and all sundry, why won't they do the same with timber for construction.
those ibadan 18 century building ehm you will be stepping on the stairs and be hearing ko ko ko ko.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by tollyboy5(m): 11:35am On Dec 21, 2020
ElValiente:
You wan make light shock us with our agbuefure electrician we have here. Small disconnection all of una go shine teeth out ni. Thanks I'm good with bricks grin grin grin
Steel is not a conductor

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ElValiente(m): 11:37am On Dec 21, 2020
tollyboy5:

Steel is not a conductor
tell that to Nigerians. Dem go say it is Agbero. ��

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Lordbinsmar: 12:14pm On Dec 21, 2020
emae009:

My thesis was on the "Comparative Analysis of Sustainability Practices between Civil and Building Engineering Projects".
so yeah I'm vastly I know what sustainable Construction is.
Going green in terms of energy efficiency and reduction is just one part of having a zero carbon emissing building. To complete the cycle, you need materials that trap carbon from the atmosphere and timber is one of those.
A simple check on the Internet, you'll see that buildings that have net zero or negative carbon emissions are mostly constructed using Timber and you're saying Timber is not sustainable.
Sustainability is not just about reducing energy consumption, there are so many aspects to it.
I agree with you Sir. I've made more research on it.
https://www.swedishwood.com/wood-facts/about-wood/wood-and-the-environment/wood-is-a-sustainable-construction-material/

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by emae009(m): 12:26pm On Dec 21, 2020
Lordbinsmar:

I agree with you Sir. I've made more research on it.
https://www.swedishwood.com/wood-facts/about-wood/wood-and-the-environment/wood-is-a-sustainable-construction-material/

I wish more people were like you. Making research and gaining more knowledge.
Please can you enlighten more people in your cycle. With a little contribution from each of us, the next generation will be more aware of these other building materials and make sustainable choices. Thank you!
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by emae009(m): 12:28pm On Dec 21, 2020
Iyajelili:

I hope you're doing well in your profession? Because you're intelligent and confident.

thank you
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2020
In Abuja they say there is land, there is land. No need to climb. The peoole fall for it and build miniscule buildings called bungalows stretching as far as the eyes can see then the problem starts.

No roads, no electricity, no water and the police cannot reach you in case of emergency because you are nowhere to be found thoughtless of fire or ambulance services.

If reasonable planning was implemented in a city like Abuja with a view to vertical living, every soul from Bwari to Gwagwalada to Nyanya can be comfortably housed between Wuse and Garki districts alone with superior quality services and manageable cost of living.

But it wil only be possible if steel becomes the material of choice in large scale infrastructural projects as a going concern.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 12:40pm On Dec 21, 2020
Brunicekid:
Exactly...Nigeria Builders should be using Made-in-Nigeria Steel.

There is no such thing. Let us not kid ourselves.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Aconomist: 1:02pm On Dec 21, 2020
Reference:
In Abuja they say there is land, there is land. No need to climb. The peoole fall for it and build miniscule buildings called bungalows stretching as far as the eyes can see then the problem starts.

No roads, no electricity, no water and the police cannot reach you in case of emergency because you are nowhere to be found thoughtless of fire or ambulance services.

If reasonable planning was implemented in a city like Abuja with a view to vertical living, every soul from Bwari to Gwagwalada to Nyanya can be comfortably housed between Wuse and Garki districts alone with superior quality services and manageable cost of living.

But it wil only be possible if steel becomes the material of choice in large scale infrastructural projects as a going concern.
Nigerians are idiots. We don't have what it takes to build a modern society.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by ShitStain(m): 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2020
molbic:

I would appreciate it if you do expatiate on the topic as I'm currently working on an assignment on sustainable alternative building materials in Nigeria!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by gbenga4sure(m): 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2020
sonnie10:
It is actually more expensive to build residential houses with steel. From what I have seen, houses with steel frames usually have three layers ; the steel fram, the outer plywood and then brick or pvc siding and the interior sheet rock ( also include the inside wall insulation material).
By the time you add the cost of all these, you see that cement and blocks is more cost effective.

Places that use the steel frame and wood do so mainly because of weather, tornado and earth quake problem. It is safer when the house crumbles and people would not be trapped under the weight of heavy cement blocks. Nigeria has never had that problem.
You have some solid points.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by n3xt(m): 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2020
Aconomist:
Nigerians are idiots. We don't have what it takes to build a modern society.

We need a collective front to change the narratives.

How about starting something new from here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by prinsam30: 1:15pm On Dec 21, 2020
Omoikarekimire:

The reason for using timber in US is because of weather over there.Wood offers one of the best protection against cold weather.Dem no born person well make im use block.when the cold arrives you go speak payan with your teeth fused with your tongue.

grin grin
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Aconomist: 1:16pm On Dec 21, 2020
Reference:

Abuja doesn't even have a respectable business district. It is just endless low density sprawl. Nigerians are stupid past monkeys. We can't do anything right -- even a in a "planned city" we repeat the same mistakes that made lagos so unlivable.
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Perfectbeing(m): 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2020
Concrete resists compression and steel resists tension forces. Both are useful in constructions
Re: Why Don't Builders Use Steel In Nigeria? by Brunicekid(m): 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2020
Reference:

There is no such thing. Let us not kid ourselves.
There can be such thing IF our government can start a radical and conscious repositioning of the steel industry.e.g. the ajaokuta steel company in Kogi State...Am a Metallurgical Engineer by training, I know what am saying.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

RELOCATION SALE: PLOT OF LAND WITH GERMAN FLOOR. I OWN IT! / Designed Pillars, Interlocking Tiles, Fancy Finishing / Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.