Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents (14925 Views)

Borno Residents Reject Repentant Boko Haram Members / Obiageli Mazi Receives N1 Million Donations From Borno Residents / Borno Residents Wash And Sweep Ramat Square After Atiku's Visit Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Eriokanmi: 8:10pm On Dec 21, 2020
Kidnappings: Nigerian Army has failed Borno residents – Zulum

The Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, has blamed the recent spike of abductions along the roads leading to his state on the Nigeria military, even as he stressed that the people are being killed because the army has failed to do their assigned jobs.

Mr Zulum was reacting to last weekend’s abduction of 35 travellers and many other such incidences that have become a daily occurrence on Maiduguri-Damaturu road, the only safe route that leads to Borno State.

The governor, on Monday, visited the location where the 35 travellers were abducted to inspect the level of destruction perpetrated by the Boko Haram.

The governor spoke to journalists at the scene of the attack, expressing shock and annoyance on how such magnitude of attack was being perpetrated under the watch of the soldiers and police special squads deployed to protect the highway.

“It is sad and mind-boggling how innocent commuters are being kidnapped and killed on this Maiduguri – Kano road, especially the road linking Maiduguri and Damaturu. It is also very annoying to note that these atrocities are being committed between Jakana and Auno, a distance of only 20 kilometres.”

“Surprisingly we have a Brigade Commander with his team in Jakana; we also have a commanding officer with his battalion in Auno; both teams cover a distance of only 20 kilometres, and they have failed to protect the commuters.

“The Nigeria Army has failed us; they have failed in discharging their role of protecting the commuters.

“This morning while travelling from Maiduguri to Jakana up to Auno, I did not see or sight any single soldier. Even the police-led Rapid Response Squad (RRS) that we established and equipped and enabled to patrol this highway were nowhere to be found on the highway. Instead, they are busy harassing and collecting money from innocent travellers, both police and soldiers.”

“This is embarrassing. Just look at the number of vehicles that have been burnt here, yet we have our soldiers there watching and collecting money from commuters.

“The irony of the whole thing is that no one dares to speak the truth; if you do, they would soon be out to condemn you.

“If the army cannot protect people travelling within a distance of only 20 kilometres, then I cannot foresee the capacity of the army ending this insurgency any time soon.”

The governor said that despite the setbacks he would be convening an emergency security meeting as soon as he returned to the state capital.

The distance between Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, and Maiduguri, is about 135 kilometres but the hotspot location for attacks and abduction is a 20km stretch on the road. Which means, coming from Damaturu, travellers are no longer safe from kilometre 91 up to 115th kilometre; and coming from Damaturu the road becomes dangerous from 25th kilometre up the 45th kilometre.

In between this stretch, there are identifiable cattle routes that the insurgents use. Also, at both ends of the danger zones, there is a military deployment.

Travellers who must use these routes are only safe to do so between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. The insurgents usually take charge of the highway from around 2 p.m. till late in the evening. Most of the victims of the attack are late travellers, especially those coming to Maiduguri from long distances; or those who set out on journeys very early in the morning.

Mr Zulum, since he assumed office last year, has been very vocal in his criticism of security agencies anytime he feels they are not performing.

The Borno governor, who sometimes ignores security advice to visit troubled parts of Borno State, once accused soldiers of deliberately attacking his convoy to prevent him from reaching a troubled fishing community in the state.

The army, however, said the attack was carried out by Boko Haram, the terror group that has been carrying out attacks in North-east Nigeria since 2009.

The Boko Haram insurgency has caused over 40,000 deaths and displaced millions of others, mainly in North-east Nigeria.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/432452-kidnappings-nigerian-army-has-failed-borno-residents-zulum.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by doggedfighter(f): 8:21pm On Dec 21, 2020
North

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Azmanaty: 8:23pm On Dec 21, 2020
Foolish zulum

I thought he said security has improved since the dullard took over.. he should enjoy it while it lasts and He should stop disturbing our ears abeg

160 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2020

BORNO indigenes failed themselves when they turned themselves to willing tools to push an Arabian political ideology.

A Boko Haram terrorist is just another BORNO villager with a gun and machete. Without a gun and machete, the terrorist is just a dominant villager living among his people , respected and feared by his family members and granted beautiful brides by his community.

The Nigerian army did not behead people , a Kanuri led terrorist group beheaded Kanuri people. A government that does not regulate what clerics preach in Mosques, supports the destruction of alcohol in a secular Country and sentences children to death for Blasphemy should consider itself responsible for Islam extremism.

The Nigerian Army are risking their lives to safe everyone and prevent the Islamists from advancing.

At least twice this year, Zulum's convoy was attacked and without those soldiers and policemen who died, Zulum would be dead.

88 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Redhot111(m): 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2020
Is governor Zulum mad? He used to be about the only governor I respect until a couple of weeks ago when he came up to tell us that the dead one in ASO rock is doing well security wise despite the fact that Boko boys are killing his people on daily basis. Now how does he expect us to support him on this one again. If you take me to the river and leave me in the middle of it and I eventually manage to get to the shore, next time don't come and expect me to follow you to the middle of that river again. Never again Zulum. The armies and bubu are doing very well as far as we are concerned. Cry your cry and let me cry my cry please

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by kentrowiz(m): 8:28pm On Dec 21, 2020
Nah just cruise the army dey.

But as per say I be Southerner, I cannot cry more than the bereaved. The North is safe grin

25 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by illicit(m): 8:38pm On Dec 21, 2020
Zulum unfortunately this is ur own personal cup of tea.... cool

34 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Mgbadike80: 8:42pm On Dec 21, 2020
Zulum is a big fool playing politics with human lives, he should cry to Buhari, who is the commander in chief of the Nigerian armed forces. We southerners cannot cry more than the bereaved so Zulum should stop been a nuisance with his outbursts.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by mike8804: 8:46pm On Dec 21, 2020
Our leaders are not accountable, cause Nigeria is established to be so. A serious govt would have replaced the security chiefs for lack of efficiency.

Why is our leaders not accountable? the main reason is tribalism... it is our turn, we must finish our tenure, others can go and die.

Nigeria needs restructure or separation, it can't work, it hasn't work and it will never work .

13 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Arrewa: 8:50pm On Dec 21, 2020
Azmanaty:
Foolish zulum

I tot he said security has improved since the dullard took over.. he should enjoy it while it lasts and He should stop disturbing our ears abeg
Dear Easterners!!

Leave zulum for us the northerners!!

We know you all hated this man right from time!!

Zulum is better than all Eastern politicians put together!!

Leave zulum and face your politicians!!

Zulum never asked to be praised!!

Zulum is more concern about his region!!

Zulum is never a threat to anyone's presidency!!

His only crime is to acknowledge buhari's effort in the war against Bokoharam in Borno!

You people are pathetic!!

God bless Babagana Zulum!!

Arewa youths are solidly behind zulum!

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Arrewa: 8:50pm On Dec 21, 2020
Mgbadike80:
Zulum is a big fool playing politics with human lives, he should cry to Buhari, who is the commander in chief of the Nigerian armed forces. We southerners cannot cry more than the bereaved so Zulum should stop been a nuisance with his outbursts.
the biggest fools we have in Nigeria are the Eastern governors!

The eastern governors remain the most useless governors in Nigeria.

How dare you refer to zulum as a fool...

Governor Zulum is better than all your present and past governors put together!

face your politicians and leave zulum for the north.

Face Obiano, ikpeazu and uzodinmma.

Zulum is not your governor... He has every right to acknowledge the effort of the Buhari government in the fight against insurgency.

We all know how Borno used to be...

We all know how people are being killed on daily basis!!

We all know how bombs are raining back then...

So he has the right to appreciate the little Buhari has done.

Face your region... Zulum is not your problem!

God bless Babagana!!

9 Likes 4 Shares

illicit:
Zulum unfortunately this is ur own personal cup of tea.... cool
Zulum never asked to be trusted by the Igbos.

You people never trusted or loved him.

You people are the first to celebrate whenever Bokoharam strike any village killing innocent women and children.

You people are only waiting for opportunities like this to display your hatred.

Zulum was right...

Bokoharam no longer control places the way they used to.

When zulum attack the government and the military... You all cheered him!

But the moment he acknowledged the president effort in tackling insurgency in the state... You all become furious and started attacking the governor.

Why this hatred??

Zulum remain a Hero to his people!!!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Arrewa: 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2020
Redhot111:
Is governor Zulum mad? He used to be about the only governor I respect until a couple of weeks ago when he came up to tell us that the dead one in ASO rock is doing well security wise despite the fact that Boko boys are killing his people on daily basis. Now how does he expect us to support him on this one again. If you take me to the river and leave me in the middle of it and I eventually manage to get to the shore, next time don't come and expect me to follow you to the middle of that river again. Never again Zulum. The armies and bubu are doing very well as far as we are concerned. Cry your cry and let me cry my cry please

Nairaland should have different classes for people. There should be an exam you must take to join certain conversations on Nairaland. Like a common sense exam.

This forum is like putting students from Jss1 together with postgrads in a hall & ask them to discuss sub atomic particles in quantum mechanics. So folks jumping into discuss above their mental capacity just to be ''Woke'' makes it annoying.

Dear Mr...

This is what Governor Zulum said...

“I have had occasions to defend the Nigerian military in order to boost the morale of commanders and their troops at the front lines because I know the true picture of things, however, I am really disappointed that despite all support from both the federal government and from us in Borno state, our military is failing to secure an area of 20 kilometers." -

Where is this hatred for zulum coming from??

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Fuckhypocrite: 8:52pm On Dec 21, 2020
E be things Zulum don enter one chance. We expect him to speak against bubu but he's comparing past and present
Now the south no get any pity 4 him ass again, lol

6 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by T9ksy(m): 8:56pm On Dec 21, 2020
Oga zulum, I thought you claimed last week (despite the 110 rice farmers beheaded in your state, earlier this month) that bornu is much safer now since Buhari took over the reins of govt?

Dem bandits go soon kidnap u too, for ransom

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Conrod: 8:57pm On Dec 21, 2020
Both the president and the terrorists are your brothers,you should settle your problems your way.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by jubilee55f: 10:14pm On Dec 21, 2020
Very stupid zulum. So na only Nigeria army you get power reach abi? When e reach Buhari you go say ' under Buhari security is far more better 'abi? Idiot.

11 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by clockwisereport: 10:16pm On Dec 21, 2020
Keep us safe o lord

1 Like

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by jubilee55f: 10:22pm On Dec 21, 2020
Very stupid zulum. So na only Nigeria army you get power reach abi? When e reach Buhari you go say ' under Buhari security is far more better 'abi? Idiot..Fear of Buhari because of re_electn abi? Nonsense.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Eriokanmi: 10:50pm On Dec 21, 2020
Arrewa:
ok
Pele my brother from the north. This is really a trying time for the north and the entire country. Personally, I'm not happy. Does it mean those behind these terrorism are too powerful to be touched, from the north east now to the north west? What's really happening to us? Just asking. Lives are being wasted daily. Enough!

2 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Kalapizim(m): 10:54pm On Dec 21, 2020
This zulum reeks of total hypocrisy, the yeye man will go to Abuja and say another thing else.

Imagine the trash he is saying, wasn't it the same army who bailed him out of when he was attacked.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by slivertongue: 11:00pm On Dec 21, 2020
They have always failed

1 Like

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Racoon(m): 11:13pm On Dec 21, 2020
Better stop all these lamentation & be responsible for once.Governor Zulum have proven that a man just need to be in position of leadership to know his real worth of integrity.

Imagine this is the same man that was saying security have really improved under this helpless govt by down-playing all the total anarchy that have descended upon this nation even with the palpable fear, unabated kidnapping, maiming, bloodshed and killings.

Now, in hypocrisy he is blaming the soldiers for allegedly failing the beleaguered Borno populace while tactfully avoiding their C-in-C who the buck stops @ his table.
Until they're ready to hold the leadership to accountability
, then they will continue to run in circles.

7 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Onuoraijele: 11:16pm On Dec 21, 2020
Hmm
Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Onuoraijele: 11:16pm On Dec 21, 2020
Zulum stop crying

1 Like

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Omoiyaa: 11:17pm On Dec 21, 2020
I feel for Borno people

1 Like

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by Azmanaty: 8:27am On Dec 22, 2020
Arrewa:
[s]Dear Easterners!!

Leave zulum for us the northerners!!

We know you all hated this man right from time!!

Zulum is better than all Eastern politicians put together!!

Leave zulum and face your politicians!!

Zulum never asked to be praised!!

Zulum is more concern about his region!!

Zulum is never a threat to anyone's presidency!!

His only crime is to acknowledge buhari's effort in the war against Bokoharam in Borno!

You people are pathetic!!

God bless Babagana Zulum!!

Arewa youths are solidly behind zulum![/s]

since the northerners dont have conscience and u soo love ONE NAIJERIYA, Easterners have every right to be concerned about ur north. Except offcourse you don't want ONE NAIJERIYA again

17 Likes

Re: Governor Zulum: Nigerian Army Has Failed Borno Residents by ehinmowo: 8:57am On Dec 22, 2020
I used to think Zulum was sensible. But he is an idiot. You came out to say the government is doing well and that people should shut up. Now you saying something else. Talking from both sides of your mouth like a leaking funnel. Is it millitary you should be talking about or the one commanding them? Mofo

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Crowd At Rallies Really Matter? / Peter Obi Promises To "Checkmate" Boko Haram And ISWAP, Silent On IPOB/ESN / Pictures Of The Killers Of European Contractors - SSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.