Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) (17972 Views)

Maryam Babangida And Princess Diana At The Tafawa Balewa Square (Throwback Photo / Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) / Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Welcomed In America In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 23, 2020
Less than a month after Queen Elizabeth II proclaimed self-government for Eastern and Western Nigeria, the tropic Federation got its first Prime Minister and installed its first all-Nigerian Cabinet in the capital of Lagos, beside the tepid green waters of the Bight of Benin.* Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, a Northern Moslem, became Nigeria's first Prime Minister.

In a graceful speech opening Parliament, Balewa paid tribute to British statesmanship and the service of Christian missionaries, spoke of the "tremendous good will" that existed between Britain and Nigeria, but emphasized that he and his ministers are" "irrevocably committed" to complete independence for Nigeria.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,809884,00.html

9 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 12:16am On Dec 23, 2020
Tafa Balewa was chosen as Time magazine leader of the year in December, 1960. Nigeria held so much promise when it gained independence.

42 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by IamFINESSE: 12:16am On Dec 23, 2020
See him head grin

The man must be clueless and useless as buhari

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 23, 2020
IamFINESSE:
See him head grin

The man must by clueless and useless as buhari
He was actually very intelligent and well spoken with a strong British accent. He studied abroad at the University of London's Institute of Education, which today forms part of University College London. Upon returning to Nigeria, he became an Inspector of Schools for the colonial administration and later entered politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP0XooKCvac

158 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by ipobarethieves: 12:23am On Dec 23, 2020
sad

2 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti,rossnitti....we got independence in 1960.And you still blame the white man for all Nigeria's problem.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by sirjoggy(m): 12:46am On Dec 23, 2020
One of Aboki wey get sense, not this senseless one call presidency

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by doggedfighter(f): 2:23am On Dec 23, 2020
Those were good old days when men were men.

See the focused look on his face .

With those eyes piercing and deeply affecting.

Not these days that boys are more interested in inanities ,singing boobs and ass or either opening threads upon threads to rant and cry on women affairs. grin grin grin grin grin shocked

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by LegendHero(m): 2:36am On Dec 23, 2020
One thing caught my attention.

“Independence Without Chaos”

We held so much prospect and we should have consolidated on the peace to chart a better path at that infant stage.

I don’t know who to blame, the founding fathers or the barrack guys that ended it so soon.

21 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by BigSarah(f): 3:03am On Dec 23, 2020
Probably consolatory....I still don’t get why the British gave Nigeria independence so easily .. the only reason I have would come off as tribalistic.

3 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by juman(m): 3:10am On Dec 23, 2020
Obviously one nigeria is a mistake, a fraud.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by nasirope: 4:03am On Dec 23, 2020
This is a dreamer,doer and confident speaker. This combination in one person is lacking in Nigeria's corridor of power today.
Most are talkers only.

Indeed, that period was Nigeria's golden age.

9 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 4:08am On Dec 23, 2020
nasirope:
This is a dreamer,doer and confident speaker. This combination in one person is lacking in Nigeria's corridor of power today.
Most are talkers only.

Indeed, that period was Nigeria's golden age.
I wonder if there was not a coup in 1966 and we had parliamentary system of governance if the county would have been different today.

15 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by rosskiti: 4:23am On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
rosskiti,rossnitti....we got independence in 1960.And you still blame the white man for all Nigeria's problem.

What simplistic nonsense.

You cannot minimise my positions by simply tagging it as ''blame the white man'' bla bla bla, which is what you are trying desperately to do, because you cannot argue against the specific points I raise.

Face the actual points I raise or SHUT UP.

One more thing. Having a ''strong British accent'' does not make a person ''intelligent'', which seems to be your implied position in your first post.

7 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 23, 2020
BigSarah:
Probably consolatory....I still don’t get why the British gave Nigeria independence so easily .. the only reason I have would come off as tribalistic.
They should have waited a little longer until we were matured to rule and our culture had changed for better.

4 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 4:24am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti:

What simplistic nonsense.

You cannot minimise my positions by simply tagging it as ''blame the white man'' bla bla bla, which is what you are try9ng desperately to do, because you cannot argue against the specific points I raise.

When will you hold Nigerian leaders accountable for their misrule and corruption 60 years after independence?

5 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by rosskiti: 4:30am On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

When will you hold Nigerian leaders accountable for their misrule and corruption 60 years after independence?

When will YOU ask Britain to return our stolen trillions?

The money hasn't disappeared into thin air.

When will you tell them to RETURN BOTH the money they looted during colonial rule AND the money their Nigerian stooges looted and deposited in Britain?

IF YOU REALLY CARED ABOUT THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE AS OPPOSED TO BEING AN ASSLICKER OF WHITES, THAT'S WHAT YOU'D BE ASKING.

By not DEMANDING an immediate return of all stolen wealth, you show yourself to be an ENABLER and SUPPORTER of corruption and theft.

Your only interest seems to be to get us to hate our leaders, but Britain can keep the money.

Are you working for the British?

11 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by youngblaq: 4:30am On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

He was actually very intelligent and well spoken with a strong British accent. He studied abroad at the University of London's Institute of Education, which today forms part of University College London. Upon returning to Nigeria, he became an Inspector of Schools for the colonial administration and later entered politics.

When I watched Tafa speak for the first time, omo! I changed my view regarding hausa language and the almost general and constant morphological interference syndrome they suffer (as most African natives).
Tafa was sound. You know, listening without watching you'd imagine the person speaking was probably an English native speaker.
But sha...if better tins last for dis our country so...na luck.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by rosskiti: 4:39am On Dec 23, 2020
youngblaq:

When I watched Tafa speak for the first time, omo! I changed my view regarding hausa language and the almost general and constant morphological interference syndrome they suffer (as most African natives).
Tafa was sound. You know, listening without watching you'd imagine the person speaking was probably an English native speaker.
But sha...if better tins last for dis our country so...na luck.

The words of a total, complete SLAVE.

It is this dumb mentality of servitude and inferiority complex that has led to Nigeria becoming the world's skin bleaching capital.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SPEAKING WITH A HAUSA, IGBO, OR YORUBA ACCENT, AND IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU 'LESS' THAN A PERSON WHO SPEAKS WITH AN ENGLISH ACCENT, MR AIR HEAD DUMBITO!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by youngblaq: 4:54am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti:

It is this dumb mentality of servitude and inferiority complex that has led to Nigeria becoming the world's skin bleaching capital.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SPEAKING WITH A HAUSA, IGBO, OR YORUBA ACCENT, AND IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU 'LESS' THAN A PERSON WHO SPEAKS WITH AN ENGLISH ACCENT, MR AIR HEAD DUMBITO!!

Who be dis stray dog ke??

What is the wrong doing in showing how I like an individual's speaking traits e gbami.

Abi o fe shoriburuku ni.

Who send you how you feel abi who you help?

Whats stopping you from typing using your L¹ and not English?

Pot wey dey call kettle black.

Omo ale jati jati.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by ElValiente(m): 5:01am On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Damn it. Niqqa sound. Gotta be listening to him more on YouTube now. Walaaa

3 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by rosskiti: 5:01am On Dec 23, 2020
youngblaq:

Who be dis stray dog ke??

What is the wrong doing in showing how I like an individual's speaking traits e gbami.

Abi o fe shoriburuku ni.

Who send you how you feel abi who you help?

Whats stopping you from typing using your L¹ and not English?

Pot wey dey call kettle black.

Omo ale jati jati.

Wow, you've forgotten your Queen's English?

Are you sure you don't speak that Yoruba with English accent?

Ode oshi.

Or should I say ''oh-day oh-shay...''......wink
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by ElValiente(m): 5:05am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti:

You need a happy life Mr sadist.

10 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by rosskiti: 5:05am On Dec 23, 2020
ElValiente:
You need a happy life Mr sadist.

Shush.

I hate colomentality.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by youngblaq: 5:24am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti:

Wow, you've forgotten your Queen's English?

Are you sure you don't speak that Yoruba with English accent?

Ode oshi.

Or should I say ''oh-day oh-shay...''......wink

Hehehe...Akoshi bero.
Well the pig always enjoy it in the dirt.

You obviously derive pleasure in attacking people without
them hurting your soul.
I call that "taking Panadol for someone else's headache"

Its so easy to see that your family failed to raise you to manifest good values, but then we always have families like that.

And as charity begins at home, you certainly do not sound like you have a home. So how could you exhibit a quality that does not exist in your lineage.

Attempting to insolently display how superior you are in a matter that has no attachment to your online particulars shows you are really a toxic fellow, bitter and hopeless.

A word: Evaluate yourself, it's not that late, you don't necessarily have to die a fool.

13 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by ElValiente(m): 5:33am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti:

Shush.

I hate colomentality.
your irresponsible father is the one Kolo here . Omo ale

2 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by OBTMOS(m): 7:59am On Dec 23, 2020
Ok
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Oxtonguy: 8:00am On Dec 23, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ondo Partners Horn Glass Germany To Establish Float Glass Factory (Photos) / Lagos Task Force Raids Okada Riders, Confiscates 70 Motorcycles In Abule Egba / Lucky Lelebori Coxson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.