Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) (18005 Views)

Maryam Babangida And Princess Diana At The Tafawa Balewa Square (Throwback Photo / Tafawa Balewa's Letter To South Africa In April 1961 (Throwback) / Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Welcomed In America In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by almarthins(m): 10:00am On Dec 23, 2020
IamFINESSE:
See him head grin

The man must by clueless and useless as buhari

He is far more brilliant that your generation put together. He was one of the finest set of leaders nigeria had in 60s.

2 Likes

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 23, 2020
LZAA:

Cc imh.otep greenback Afonjaconehead
Nzeogwu is an Igbo man sometimes, and a Bini man some other times grin

Sai mama

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by LZAA: 11:04am On Dec 23, 2020
imhotep:

Nzeogwu is an Igbo man sometimes, and a Bini man some other times grin

Sai mama
Sai APCheat grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Judgesledge(m): 11:39am On Dec 23, 2020
rosskiti:

When will YOU ask Britain to return our stolen trillions?

The money hasn't disappeared into thin air.

When will you tell them to RETURN BOTH the money they looted during colonial rule AND the money their Nigerian stooges looted and deposited in Britain?

IF YOU REALLY CARED ABOUT THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE AS OPPOSED TO BEING AN ASSLICKER OF WHITES, THAT'S WHAT YOU'D BE ASKING.

By not DEMANDING an immediate return of all stolen wealth, you show yourself to be an ENABLER and SUPPORTER of corruption and theft.

Your only interest seems to be to get us to hate our leaders, but Britain can keep the money.

Are you working for the British?
The British didn't come to Africa with the aim of helping us, they came for purely commercial reasons, and I don't blame them for that ,so they did what they had to do for the benefit of their country, and that still pretty much plays out today , it's a dog eat dog world my dear , so simply blaming others for your woes is just being lazy , after all India was colonised by same British, but you don't see them blaming the Brits, they've taken responsibility and today ,you just can't compare them with us, despite their own peculiar challenges. For your information , other nations will continue to prey on us ,so long as we give them the opportunity

1 Like

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Yankee101: 11:47am On Dec 23, 2020
Nigeria was on a trajectory that was truncated
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Neoteny(m): 12:29pm On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Tafa Balewa was chosen as Time magazine leader of the year in December, 1960. Nigeria held so much promise when it gained independence.

Then the igboes struck and ruined everything...

1 Like

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Neoteny(m): 12:33pm On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

He was actually very intelligent and well spoken with a strong British accent. He studied abroad at the University of London's Institute of Education, which today forms part of University College London. Upon returning to Nigeria, he became an Inspector of Schools for the colonial administration and later entered politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP0XooKCvac

There's no such thing as a British accent, since Britain includes England, Scotland and Wales. English, Scottish, and Welsh have different accents in addition to local varieties.

The accent the late prime minister has is known as Received Pronunciation, which is a type of artificial posh accent usually used by the elite English social class.

Pardon me if i come across as a bit pedantic.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 1:03pm On Dec 23, 2020
He warned against accepting/recieving aid because doing so would lead to unavoidable involvement in ideological wars.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by frog12: 1:15pm On Dec 23, 2020
these PEOPLE were just PUPPETS for the british and they look like it. ALL of them except ZIK and AWO!

1 Like

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Ddaji(m): 1:21pm On Dec 23, 2020
[quote author=Neddstark post=97347352]

Nzeogwu was the head of the coup.[/qNzeogwu was head of the in the north but igbos elite conspired abducted and killed tabawa bales and some senior northern military officers in lagos.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

He was actually very intelligent and well spoken with a strong British accent. He studied abroad at the University of London's Institute of Education, which today forms part of University College London. Upon returning to Nigeria, he became an Inspector of Schools for the colonial administration and later entered politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP0XooKCvac

This is nice!
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Em5(m): 2:15pm On Dec 23, 2020
IamFINESSE:
See him head grin

The man must be clueless and useless as buhari

This was one of the most sound leader Nigeria ever had. By the way I'm not a Northerner.

1 Like

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by AMvanquish: 4:38pm On Dec 23, 2020
Funny. I think my Old Man has a copy in one of his Old stuff.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by engrchykae(m): 8:32pm On Dec 23, 2020
The tafawa balewa who first refused Independence when Anthony Enahoro moved motion for Independence is the first prime minister of Nigeria.
What a joke?
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2020
IamFINESSE:
See him head grin
They usually have this bovine/herbivore/unintelligent look about them.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by NaMeAboki: 12:59am On Dec 24, 2020
Do you know that when Tafawa Balewa was Prime Minister of Nigeria;
Chief of Army Staff was from SE
Chief of Naval Staff was from SE
IG of Police was from SE
Chief of Defence Staff was from SE
Internal Affairs Minister SE
External Affairs Minister SE
Education Minister South SE
Many other key ministries to SE
Parliament President SE
Unilag VC from SE
The University of Ibadan VC from SE
North resisted same at ABU!
Still, there was dissatisfaction by SE, the officers from the region killed this same Balewa!!!!

Out of all the most senior officers in Nigeria, SE has 37, none was killed. 8 from the north, all of them were killed. 10 from the west, 2 were killed.
Then Ironsi imposed a unitary system of government on the country so that everything can belong to a region who snatched it!
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Dedetwo(m): 1:23am On Dec 24, 2020
NaMeAboki:

Do you know that when Tafawa Balewa was Prime Minister of Nigeria;
Chief of Army Staff was from SE
Chief of Naval Staff was from SE
IG of Police was from SE
Chief of Defence Staff was from SE
Internal Affairs Minister SE
External Affairs Minister SE
Education Minister South SE
Many other key ministries to SE
Parliament President SE
Unilag VC from SE
The University of Ibadan VC from SE
North resisted same at ABU!
Still, there was dissatisfaction by SE, the officers from the region killed this same Balewa!!!!

Out of all the most senior officers in Nigeria, SE has 37, none was killed. 8 from the north, all of them were killed. 10 from the west, 2 were killed.
Then Ironsi imposed a unitary system of government on the country so that everything can belong to a region who snatched it!

Nigeria is actually basket of fools. The above post is simply moronic.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by youngblaq: 2:01am On Dec 24, 2020
jagorinho:

In as much the other guy came across as rude to your initial submission but we should make conscious effort to reduce the hype for these Europeans, what is the advantage of speaking Queen's English to a black man? nothing!!! I would rather rate Balewa on other aspects than his ability to speak Queens English.

No language is superior to the other, some parents even banned their wards from speaking their indigenous languages at home, we are really loosing it in this part of the world, when there is a U.N congress, serious countries speak in their indigenous languages, it is a big shame we are at this level, have you seen Wayne Rooney obsessed about speaking Yoruba? or a lampard obsessed about speaking Igbo?

There is nothing glamorous about a black man speaking Queens language. Obsession of most Nigerians with the ability to speak the Queen's English is a trait we do not need to pass to the next generation.

Here's something I've seen so common with most people who imagine themselves more intelligent. They always strive to show off. They listen to quickly give responses rather than to understand.

If a subject matter is not clear enough to you, or you don't seem to figure out how serious a post is...rather than imagining, why not just scroll over

I was only showing that "I had thought the characteristics of the hausa language as a first are so strong that they manifest in every other languages (could be other local languages of course or could be our official one, which happens to be English).
Here I didn't categorically state that "because the English lang was superior in a way"

That I said I liked how Tafa sounded with the lang doesn't mean I hate how the morph interference affect others, I only happen to like it better or whatever which I consider normal
And another point is, even if I'd said I liked it because the white men's language was superior, it's a view. Which I don't see why I should expect anyone to like it like I do.

So bro...what I practice and stick to is that I don't attempt to correct people's view especially if that person didn't say he/she wants a piece of contribution or advices. Because doing that is lame, why? It causes unnecessary arguments and arguments implies that one person (or group) is less intelligent or not smart enough, (this doesn't sit well with a lot of people).

Thanks for your position on my comment, however, it's parallel to my idea. Good morning.
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Coolgent(m): 7:23am On Dec 24, 2020
IamFINESSE:
See him head grin

Shame on you

1 Like

Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by Rosskivvyy: 7:43am On Dec 24, 2020
Judgesledge:
The British didn't come to Africa with the aim of helping us, they came for purely commercial reasons, and I don't blame them for that

That shows you are a JOKE of a human being.

And a fool of the first order.

You're basically saying that it is ok for a group of people to come from a foreign land, and destroy, burn down your cities, seize your land, massacre your people, rape and gang rape your mothers, embezzle your resources, force you to drop your religion and adopt theirs, and force you to speak their language.

You've no problem with that!

Ok, so would there be anything wrong with a FULANI group doing the same to you?

Aha!!! ...... Now there's a problem, correct?

So tell me, WHY is it acceptable for a British man to destroy your society, but an utterly unacceptable abomination for a Fulani man to do the exact same thing?

Can't you see you've been brainwashed?

If your head was reasoning correctly, and wasn't brainwashed, it would be just as unacceptable to you for a British man to destroy your society, as it is for a Fulani man to do so.

so they did what they had to do for the benefit of their country

But the Fulani man is doing the same thing for the benefit of his people, so why do you object to him?

and that still pretty much plays out today , it's a dog eat dog world my dear , so simply blaming others for your woes is just being lazy , after all India was colonised by same British, but you don't see them blaming the Brits, they've taken responsibility and today ,you just can't compare them with us, despite their own peculiar challenges. For your information , other nations will continue to prey on us ,so long as we give them the opportunity

[b]Don't say what you don't know.

NO people on earth display as much contempt for the British colonialists as Indians.

Visit their forums and read posts.

They fully know what the British are about. They frown and laugh at their own people who try to imitate English ways.

Even though Indians speak English as their lingua franca, they always mix it up with their localĀ languages when speaking, even in Parliament and business meetings.

They reject christianity and respect their own ancient religions.

Those Indian religions are no different from African religions, in their basic philosophies.

If you explore their history, they are even derivatives of African religions.

Indians are true anti-colonialists.

Nigerians are the direct opposite and skin bleaching experts who think white people are superior to them.

Hopeless, ignorant set of people with zero self esteem.

And then when you try to correct them, they tell you you're being ''rude''.

You want respect but you don't respect yourself.[/b]
Re: Tafa Balewa Chosen As Time Magazine's Leader Of The Year In 1960 (Throwback) by NaMeAboki: 10:02am On Dec 24, 2020
Dedetwo:

Nigeria is actually basket of fools. The above post is simply moronic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Al Mustapha Freed / FG To Sign $7 Billion Contract For Mambila Power Plant This Month!! / Wamakko To Service Chiefs, IGP: Resign Now For Dereliction Of Duties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.