Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

My Scholarship Story - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Scholarship Story (1148 Views)

"I Will Rethink My Scholarship Offer To Mmesomma". / My Scholarship Journey As A Son Of Poor Church Worker / My Sweden Scholarship Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 02, 2021
It's all about your STORY

I lost my sister when I was 18.

She actually motivated me to study microbiology over biochemistry. From the onset she had wanted to become a medical doctor. So, after a 2.1 in biochemistry, she went back for MBBS.

We lost Funmi at 500 level, she was writing her thesis then.

This changed a lot about my family. Been the only son, my mum became really protective and closer to me.

This almost ruined my chances for graduate study abroad. When I shared the good news of the Korean Government and Chinese government scholarship offers with the family, we became divided

While my dad and first sister supported, my mum and immediate elder sis objected on the premises that I was 6 months away from completing my Msc in Ekiti State University

I was so confused, terrified and scared. Suddenly, I asked myself what if I had no family?

I then personalized my dreams, like no one is going to stop me.

Even with those on my side I told them I was going to resume in October in Korea

Lo and behold I left home in July, 2013 to board my free emirate airline flight to Korea scheduled for August.

My mum was disturbed when she couldn't reach me for 4 hour at intervals. My first picture in Dubai changed everything for them all.

They accepted the fate that I already left.

It is worthy to note that I left Nigeria with 100USD (16,000N)

My mum sent 250,000N the next day.

I came back home 6 years after with a PhD in the bag!

Do not be discouraged by events around you.

It's all about you. Do your best and trust God in 2021!!

Follow me for more on my twitter handle@olumuyiwaayo

2 Likes

Re: My Scholarship Story by Skmoda360(m): 6:07am On Jan 02, 2021
Ok
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 6:45am On Jan 02, 2021
Why did u make use of too many abbreviations?
Congrats btw

Hit my signature, download the app log in to get 200# awoof airtime
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 6:51am On Jan 02, 2021
Congrats btw

Thanks
Re: My Scholarship Story by Paulcyril19: 8:30am On Jan 02, 2021
[quote author=olumuyiwaayo post=97633674]It's all about your STORY

I lost my sister when I was 18.

She actually motivated me to study microbiology over biochemistry. From the onset she had wanted to become a medical doctor. So, after a 2.1 in biochemistry, she went back for MBBS.

We lost Funmi at 500 level, she was writing her thesis then.

This changed a lot about my family. Been the only son, my mum became really protective and closer to me.

This almost ruined my chances for graduate study abroad. When I shared the good news of the Korean Government and Chinese government scholarship offers with the family, we became divided

While my dad and first sister supported, my mum and immediate elder sis objected on the premises that I was 6 months away from completing my Msc in Ekiti State University

I was so confused, terrified and scared. Suddenly, I asked myself what if I had no family?

I then personalized my dreams, like no one is going to stop me.

i actually feel motivated by your story but I sincerely want to ask, do you think you would have been better off here in Nigeria or Korea judging from a financial point of view.

And aside accomplishing a great feet academically were you able to bag big bag money wise. Please I would appreciate if you lend your voice in regards to these aspects. Thank you in anticipation. I'm still in school in my penultimate year rn, and I'm hatching the idea of doing my masters through this same route.
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 02, 2021
[quote author=Paulcyril19 post=97636688][/quote]

The honest truth is that there is no big money in academia but I'm just okay.

I am better off in Canada than Nigeria.

I have explored 3 continents in the last 7 years for free. Msc-Korea, PhD-Germany and I currently work with the University of British Columbia here in Canada. I got the offer on the platform of my expertise and not the Canada Express Entry Program.

So, it's a matter of choice. You can decide to explore the industry pathway after your graduate study.
Re: My Scholarship Story by Paulcyril19: 8:49am On Jan 02, 2021
olumuyiwaayo:

The honest truth is that there is no big money in academia but I'm just okay.

I am better off in Canada than Nigeria.

I have explored 3 continents in the last 7 years for free. Msc-Korea, PhD-Germany and I currently work with the University of British Columbia here in Canada. I got the offer on the platform of my expertise and not the Canada Express Entry Program.

So, it's a matter of choice. You can decide to explore the industry pathway after your graduate study.

Thank you very much boss. That's the very reason why I want to use academic as a bait to achieve a better life.

So that equally states strive to go to Canada not Korea.

Please I would appreciate if I get your email for further mentorship, I promise not to disturb please. Thank you in anticipation.
Re: My Scholarship Story by nams77: 11:11am On Jan 02, 2021
olumuyiwaayo:
Congrats btw

Thanks
Good one bro. Congratulations. I sent you a PM. Will want to find out something. Can't ask here
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 02, 2021
Paulcyril19:

Thank you very much boss. That's the very reason why I want to use academic as a bait to achieve a better life.

So that equally states strive to go to Canada not Korea.

Please I would appreciate if I get your email for further mentorship, I promise not to disturb please. Thank you in anticipation.

Please connect with me via my twitter handle@olumuyiwaayo
Re: My Scholarship Story by Myzubby(m): 3:12pm On Jan 02, 2021
congratulations brother . You are blessed
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 02, 2021
Myzubby:
congratulations brother . You are blessed

Thank you so much
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 02, 2021
Wow wow wow
Re: My Scholarship Story by adeadeyera(m): 5:50pm On Jan 02, 2021
I have a lot of questions and I've just followed you on Twitter.
Kindly follow back sir
@adeadeyera
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
adeadeyera:
I have a lot of questions and I've just followed you on Twitter.
Kindly follow back sir
@adeadeyera

Done
Re: My Scholarship Story by Oyiboman69: 8:35pm On Jan 02, 2021
Lucky you
Re: My Scholarship Story by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2021
Oyiboman69:
Lucky you

Thanks
Re: My Scholarship Story by Paulcyril19: 11:13am On Jan 04, 2021

Please connect with me via my twitter handle@olumuyiwaayo

Done sir.

(1) (Reply)

Best Education Forum For Nigerian Students - Campuscatch Forum / Nysc Direct Posting To Lagos, Abuja And Other State / NANS SOUTH WEST: EMBATTLED FPI PRESIDENT EMERGES COORDINATOR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.