Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,579 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer (27300 Views)

Reasons To Start A Private School Business In Nigeria / CONTRACT OFFER FOR Real Estate Writer / Career Openings At Society For Family Health (SFH) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Eddee(m): 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2021
Wande22:

As a former Account Staff in NGO, I would advice you stay with the school
You can only "jump ship" if you are assured of continuity

Then you should know better! You almost speak in favor of perpetuity without taking into consideration that for most of last year, teaching/non-teaching staff of schools struggled to stay solvent as COVID-19 screwed our backward educational system. Sh*t can and will always hit the fan, the only way out is to be ready and stay dogged.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Rutherford2019: 12:54pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:
A very lovely Thursday to you all.

I was recently given a 6 months contract by SFH to work as a finance assistant of a project with a salary of N125,000 per month (subject to 5% withholding tax) and I currently work as an accountant for a private school which salary is N70,000 per month.

Is it advisable that I leave my current work of N70,000 per month and go for the contract offer with SFH or I should just reject the contract offer and continue with my present place of work?

Plz anyone?

I won't even consider leaving my 70k permanent job for 200k 6 months contract job..
You should understand what contract job is and it can be terminated even b4 the 6 months
The most difficult thing in Nigeria is getting a job so value what you have and stop running around

2 Likes

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Mac2016(m): 12:55pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

I was recently given a 6 months contract by SFH to work as a finance assistant of a project with a salary of N125,000 per month (subject to 5% withholding tax) and I currently work as an accountant for a private school which salary is N70,000 per month.

Is it advisable that I leave my current work of N70,000 per month and go for the contract offer with SFH or I should just reject the contract offer and continue with my present place of work?

Plz anyone?
Bro, I doubt if there is any temptation here. Years ago, I was in a similar shoe, I got a take home salary offer of ₦612k when my current salary then was ₦180k thereabout.
I was certain the company I was to move to is an highly projectized one (meaning it rarely exceeds its target so the extension could not be more than 3 months). When I tot about school fees after the 6 months, I jejely remained in my 180k job.
Keep searching for a better job but reject the new offer!
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Chainex(m): 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2021
[quote author=Nisot7 post=97801456]A very lovely Thursday to you all.

Plz anyone? [Please take the 125k offer. 5 % is roughly 6,250
One other major concern is just how much time you'll have to yourself]
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Chainex(m): 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2021
[quote author=Nisot7 post=97801456]A very lovely Thursday to you all.

Plz anyone?
[/the 125k]
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

Plz anyone?

I can imagine how confused you are right now. You must have even calculated the approximate N300,000 you will gain if you drop your present job.

There are questions you need to answer however.
Are you married?
Are you a graduate?
Do you have skills that will raise your employability?
Do you have other side engagements?
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Engrr(m): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2021
Even if the salary is thesame, pls go for the shf job. That six months experience is far better than what you are doing in the private school. I can assure you that you will grab another contract with SFF or another INGO if you play your card well. Good luck!
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Chainex(m): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2021
The 125k
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by akezn: 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2021
Go for the SFH job, and abeg give me info on how to apply for the account position in the school.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by salvation77177: 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2021
Oga, continue with your present school job. Looking for another one six months time may not be easy. This is my candid advice to you.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by idu1(m): 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2021
Hotbutt:

No

Start as a volunteer in one. Experience counts in getting NGO jobs.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by mechanics(m): 1:31pm On Jan 07, 2021
Retain your teaching job.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by ViktorOG: 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2021
teadrake:

Respectfully bro, I thought its all about experience and growth. SFH will offer him/her that. School teacher on the hand will not. Anyways, he should make his decision

He stated he works as an accountant in the school...
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by doggedfighter(f): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2021
ugofulfilled:
I just want to lend a voice in addition to what other well meaning people have advised. Everyone who has advised you, has done so either from the position of fear, uncertainty and or experience. now my counsel is: Go to God and ask of Him. You can never go wrong asking him and going by His instructions. Thank you and God bless you.

Shut up. You said nothing
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by elbulk(m): 1:46pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

Plz anyone?

Coming frim someone tgat has worked in that system, go for the SFH job most times its renewable. Also, its easier to jump on other projects and NGOs.
Do something for your career and take this job.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by elbulk(m): 1:50pm On Jan 07, 2021
ViktorOG:
I'm an accountant but with your question, you sounds really different. You need to study your FM more. Why will you ever think of quiting a permanent role for a (6) contract role?
You should be looking for another permanent role elsewhere and not considering quiting to take up a 6month job.

All you see is permanent and contract? With NGOs most roles are time bound but renewable. It's good to make findings instead of assumptions.
Most NGO jobs in Nigeria are project based. I know this as i have worked in this sector and will always be better than a private school.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by airex(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2021
salisuammy:
If you can avoid resigning from your school, maybe tell them you are going for a course. That way, you can come back to your school if your contract is not extended.
Which private school will give you leave for 6 months? Even pregnant women go for maternity leave for only 3 months.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by crowther15(m): 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2021
DontBullshitMe:
Reject the two jobs and become a pastor.
You almost killed me with laughter cheesy cheesy
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by united4men: 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2021
If you're of a younger age with little number of mouths to cater for, then taking this kind of risk isn't bad at all. If you have a family depending on you presently, 6 months is too short for a contract as it may not be renewed at all & you'll fall back job hunting sooner. It's easy for people to shout start a business, sustaining the business is the main deal
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by samuelson06(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2021
teadrake:
Go for SFH job. Don't worry about the 6 month contractual duration. Before your contract ends, they'll advertise similar position and you'll be considered automatically

Automatically you say? Be calming down pls. You don't have any idea about the politics in NGO recruitment. Just say you may be considered but not automatically except the position is going to be in the North. But if in a place like Akwa Ibom, Cross River or even South East with little to less insecurity, forget it. It's gonna be big politics.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Ogidigan1: 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2021
Stay where u are
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by samuelson06(m): 2:15pm On Jan 07, 2021
jacobnel:

Go for the SFH Job offer,there are alot of opportunities attached to it,Mind you that's an INGO .The experience alone will boost your Cv and you will have an advantage when applying for NGO job.There is no much opportunities for been a School Accountant ,no training.

SFH is not an international NGO. It's an indigenous organization.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Roman52: 2:41pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

Plz anyone?
if I were you just move on, take the new job. I am talking from experience, this six months contract Job can extend into years. My own opinion
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by litaninja(m): 3:06pm On Jan 07, 2021
the SFH job is MOST likely coming to you via a 3rd party and not SFH directly. After 3 months that party will find someone to do it at half what you're being paid. And then you'd either have to settle or leave. After another 2 months, there'll be another cut again. Trust me on this.
Feel free to mention or tag me when it happens.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by bigdot1759(m): 3:21pm On Jan 07, 2021
Wiifesnatcher:
you studied accounting and you're an accountant where you work?

how much is 125×6= 750k. and savings for the 6months might be 600k let's assume, what did you intend to do after that? start a business?

duration and steady income are things you should put into consideration and as an accountant I expect you to know better
are u normal
Are telling he go dey spend 25k/month
Wetin u smoke
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Wiifesnatcher(m): 3:24pm On Jan 07, 2021
bigdot1759:
are u normal
Are telling he go dey spend 25k/month
Wetin u smoke

I'm not the problem for your lack of comprehension, I don't even know why slow brain people keep increasing on this forum every seconds

please read my earlier post and see how foolish you're, you saw the word Assume yet you're still bent on disgracing your lineage

clown
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Genea(f): 3:25pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

My brother, the bolded is what I'm thinking about oh. Thanks sir
ask for a six months unpaid leave from your school due to personal or family reasons

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by daddycee91(m): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2021
salisuammy:
If you can avoid resigning from your school, maybe tell them you are going for a course. That way, you can come back to your school if your contract is not extended.

This is best
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by kastgeraldino: 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2021
How will he save 600K out of the 750K he earns in six months? Some of you will be talking like children that have never lived on their own. So you are implying that will live on 25K per month for 6 months. Even if he does not pay rent, he will have to live near poverty level to save such an amount (600K) in 6 months.

Wiifesnatcher:
you studied accounting and you're an accountant where you work?

how much is 125×6= 750k. and savings for the 6months might be 600k let's assume, what did you intend to do after that? start a business?

duration and steady income are things you should put into consideration and as an accountant I expect you to know better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience As A Banker / I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.