Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,814 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

Quit Notice To A Tenant - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Quit Notice To A Tenant (36070 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by cozy7(m): 11:35pm On May 08, 2021
DaBogu:
Author Leezah

LAWYER
Get a lawyer.. Please don't take laws into your hands, because the law tilts more in favour of tenants. get a lawyer to Give him quit notice if his a yearly tenant If the tenant is on yearly payment, it is 6 months notice that u'll give him and it will start counting frm d day you served him d notice irrespective of how many months he has not paid.

Once the quit notice has been filed validly for 6 months, any day over that 6 months notice means the tenant is holding over that property illegally and he no longer becomes a tenant but a tenant at sufferance and from there onward you dont need to issue him a quit notice again but an OWNERS INTENTION TO RECOVER PREMISES in 7 DAYS And from there onwards the tenant practically has no defence legally when the matter will be filed at the rent tribunal nearest to you.

Tops with all the adjournment within 3 to 5 months the court balliffs will personally come to serve them to eject them of the premises compulsorily.

or

DO IT YOURSELF (DIY)
If you don't want to contact a lawyer.
Let me give you a summary of what you should do .Serve him the statutory notices ie 7 days and one month,then file a suit for recovery of premises at the nearest magistrate court.

Once the case comes up tell the court you are handling the case yourself,enter witness box and tell the court what the man did and the order you are seeking from them.The bailiff will then enter the box and tell the court that he served the man but he didn't come .The court will then grant you the order you are seeking.You will take the judgement copy and go to the bailiff and pay them for policemen.

The policemen and the bailiffs will go to the man's house one early morning, break his house and pack all his properties to the court premises. I hope you learnt something today from this. Goodluck

or

GOVERNMENT
If you based in Lagos If its Lagos, go through the human right activist section or Mediation center of the State Government. They have many outlets in each local government in the state. They'll charge a fee of #8,000 and would handled the cases

or

STREETS
I don't encourage this any longer but its inevitable where a tenant things you must suffer after the initial suffer to build a house. Go to court, pay the clerk and officials and get a notice, paste on his door in his absent and snap then take notice off. Make some other person appear in court in his stead as a proxy tenant he transferred tenant ship to without your consent and get a verdict and evict him immediately as the unpreparedness will rock his life for ever. He can continue the fight from outside your house. The person that appeared is the person you have been seeing around the house and you don't know him. Simply put, he alone can provide that person.
This is very insightful. THANKS.

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Chris2863(m): 11:36pm On May 08, 2021
Oracleforce:

The reason for the quit notice is for personal use...nothing more.
You are very stupid
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Opus85(m): 11:37pm On May 08, 2021
Draslo:

Not a sense of entitlement. By law, I'm entitled to six months.

You are not entitled to any 6months
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Opus85(m): 11:43pm On May 08, 2021
stanley000:
baba! U are a very big liar and you are not even good at it, I don't pity the op that will yake your advice but your family that follows your lead knowing you know so little lol

Just seeing this now. For your information, I am an estate surveyor that have worked with jide taiwo, diya fatimilehin with property management experience of more 6years. People don't listen until something happens to them.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by CaptainFM1: 11:55pm On May 08, 2021
femi4:
You think it's easy to get a new apartment. You can't just give quick notice without notifying the occupant on time just because you are the landlord

Mr Femi, The idea of a notice is for the tenants to prepare. And you must agree that 6months is quite a long time for the person to prepare.

We need to put sentiments aside. Do you know what it is for landlord not to eat for 6months?.....Death. So many tenants have sent their Landlord below the earth on top of their property.

The 6-months-rent-free notion is a misconception. It is no where in the law. There's only "xx-month-notice" and it's not free either despite it's a notice.

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Olatunjibaby: 11:56pm On May 08, 2021
DrinkWater10:

My issue is that the courts have not been active due to covid, endsars and now Jusun strikes.
Two Tennants have been living for free throughout this period because we decided to play by the rules and use the courts.

Exactly, this JUSUN strike is making matters worse. After 6 months notice, 7 days notice have been served, our tenants refused to pack out claiming courts are on strike. Living rent free for over a year now. How wicked can some tenants be?
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Opus85(m): 12:00am On May 09, 2021
Olatunjibaby:

Exactly, this JUSUN strike is making matters worse. After 6 months notice, 7 days notice have been served, our tenants refused to pack out claiming courts are on strike. Living rent free for over a year now. How wicked can some tenants be?

That is why most of them are.not able to build their own houses. Living tenant from one place to another with their arrogance.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by LightUpWithKemi: 12:19am On May 09, 2021
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Origin(f): 12:37am On May 09, 2021
What do Nigerians fear the most??

Carry calabash add egg add eko add palm oil.
Leave it at her entrance.

Next bring black cat and cage it near her door. Next be dropping different sizes black birds near her window.

First she will call Alfa or pastor to come and pray then they will advice her to leave.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by drealcivilceno(m): 12:53am On May 09, 2021
Draslo:

Six months notice, oga...
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by drealcivilceno(m): 12:54am On May 09, 2021
Oracleforce:

Since she is a yearly tenant, I gave her 6 months notice to quit

Then you are right, but do as God leads...
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by drealcivilceno(m): 12:59am On May 09, 2021
DaBogu:
Author Leezah

LAWYER
Get a lawyer.. Please don't take laws into your hands, because the law tilts more in favour of tenants. get a lawyer to Give him quit notice if his a yearly tenant If the tenant is on yearly payment, it is 6 months notice that u'll give him and it will start counting frm d day you served him d notice irrespective of how many months he has not paid.

Once the quit notice has been filed validly for 6 months, any day over that 6 months notice means the tenant is holding over that property illegally and he no longer becomes a tenant but a tenant at sufferance and from there onward you dont need to issue him a quit notice again but an OWNERS INTENTION TO RECOVER PREMISES in 7 DAYS And from there onwards the tenant practically has no defence legally when the matter will be filed at the rent tribunal nearest to you.

Tops with all the adjournment within 3 to 5 months the court balliffs will personally come to serve them to eject them of the premises compulsorily.

or

DO IT YOURSELF (DIY)
Let me give you a summary of what you should do .Serve him the statutory notices ie 7 days and one month,then file a suit for recovery of premises at the nearest magistrate court.

Once the case comes up tell the court you are handling the case yourself,enter witness box and tell the court what the man did and the order you are seeking from them.The bailiff will then enter the box and tell the court that he served the man but he didn't come .The court will then grant you the order you are seeking.You will take the judgement copy and go to the bailiff and pay them for policemen.

The policemen and the bailiffs will go to the man's house one early morning, break his house and pack all his properties to the court premises. I hope you learnt something today from this. Goodluck

or

GOVERNMENT
If you based in Lagos If its Lagos, go through the human right activist section or Mediation center of the State Government. They have many outlets in each local government in the state. They'll charge a fee of #8,000 and would handled the cases

or

STREETS
I don't encourage this any longer but its inevitable where a tenant things you must suffer after the initial suffer to build a house. Go to court, pay the clerk and officials and get a notice, paste on his door in his absent and snap then take notice off. Make some other person appear in court in his stead as a proxy tenant he transferred tenant ship to without your consent and get a verdict and evict him immediately as the unpreparedness will rock his life for ever. He can continue the fight from outside your house. The person that appeared is the person you have been seeing around the house and you don't know him. Simply put, he alone can provide that person.

Omo you are terrible!

2 Likes

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:26am On May 09, 2021
Nice one I have learnt something from here

Might you it soon

A big thanks

DaBogu:
Author Leezah

LAWYER

or

DO IT YOURSELF (DIY)

or

GOVERNMENT

or

STREETS
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by obi58: 1:43am On May 09, 2021
fineboynl:
op, if i'm that girl we will meet in court. and see how you are going to waste 3 years on this matter with free rent and occupied your house till she like. by then she must be tired living in your house.

You're deceiving yourself. I like stubborn tenants like you.

If I want to evict stubborn tenants like you, after the 6 month notice, I will serve you a 7 day notice to vacate my premises due to urgent renovation to be conducted on the property and that I will not be held liable for any damages to your property for your failure to do so.

Once the 7days elapse, I will cut off water and power to your property and take off the roofing sheets to your apartment. I will also make sure that your locks are not tampered with.

Also I will make sure the notices expire in the middle of the rainy season.

Let's see how long you will expose your properties to the rains.

2 Likes

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by greatcrown: 1:45am On May 09, 2021
Oracleforce:
Pls, advise me on what to do with this stubborn tenant.

I wish to recover my apartment from a female Tenant for personal use...I then approach a lawyer to draft a quit notice. I gave her the quit notice and she refuses to collect it,

lawyers in the house, pls can you advise me on what to do? Thanks.

If your lawyer is clueless on what to do then he's a learner and not fit for purpose; change him or her!
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by obi58: 1:48am On May 09, 2021
saphiere:
Are you aware that quit notice takes effect after 6 months? And during that period of 6 months you are not to collect any rent from the tenant?

Na lie.! Please read:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.naijalegaltalkng.com/do-i-have-to-pay-rent-after-being-issued-a-quit-notice/amp/
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by obi58: 2:04am On May 09, 2021
udomonday:
my former landlord gave me a quit notice for no reason and I stayed for one year and seven months without paying a dime.if not because I had already decided to quit even before she came up with the quit notice.I would shown her real wickedness.

You only got away with this because your landlord was ignorant. If I were the one, I would have given you 7days after the quit notice to pack out then I would have cut off power and water to your apartment and then taken the roof off your apartment. I would also have barricaded your apartment door in your absence by getting a welder to seal the doors until you pay all outstanding. Since you decided to behave like an irresponsible adult you will be treated as such
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Okortor: 2:27am On May 09, 2021
Lol, u never jam tenant..d last one de came with forceful eviction..d tenant already arranged soldiers on ground
.las las, na landlord beg to settle out of court.
Note: I am also a landlord but av got no issues with my tenant's.
petitmonde:

God bless you!
Well said.
If anyone has ever seen a scenario where a tenant is forcefully ejected .they would not toy with quit notice.
Forceful eviction is humiliation.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Danisaint112(m): 3:22am On May 09, 2021
Have you tried speaking to your lawyer on the issues on ground. I think your lawyer will be in a better position to answer that.

She doesn't have the right to say No. na lie now. If she do strong head to much take the matter up to court.

That is the only legal solution to this problem.

My family and I has been into real estate business for the past 20 years
. Yes we even have houses built that is atleast 20 years old.

And I would tell you that there is even a better way you chase stubborn tenants out of your house without giving them a quit notice.

And we call it "increment." Experienced lawyers are aware of this.
It is the act of increasing your house rent by legaling optaining the papers from a laywer three month before the expiry date.

Even though she doesn't have the right to reject the notice she would have acted and sounded foolish if she had said no to an increment served to her by you.

Once you give them increment the 3 months before the stipulated time/expiry date.
Trust me you see them packing their loads with the speed of light.

The beauty of it, and the reason the would pack out fast is that, if they stay for one month, the would pay for that one month and according to the new house rent fee/price.

The must pay for the time spent before leaving.

This is what my uncle uses to chase out the very stubborn tenants out of his house. You should take my advice cause I and my family have been running a real estate business for the past 20 years.

What you should do is to, paste the notice on her door. It is legal. Your lawyer should has told you that. She might not still agree your terms in your absence. But trust me before that time she will vacate the building.

I have said it that I would never do a business whereby "I will build a house and put people called tenants"

Reason is, it's one of the worst business you know. And I personally consider it as one of the ways to get a lot of enemies.

The tenants you know are people and people you know are very hard to deal with even when you bring peace to them indirectly.

Wisdom is what conquers them. Follow her wisdom...

My 2 kobo

3 Likes

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by femi4: 3:47am On May 09, 2021
DeoGratias1:

Please I need your advice and that of any other lawyer in the house about my sister's ordeal with her landlord.

My sister moved into a house she rented in 2019.
According to her, that evening the landlord started disturbing her on phone to sleep with him which she refused. After much persuasion from the man and she refused, the man turned against her and it has been a war for her.
Note that the man collected 10k from her as agreement fee but never gave her any agreement paper to sign till date.

Even though she went with her boyfriend the day she paid the house rent, all of a sudden since this year, the man insisted that the guy won't pass the night in her house any longer.

My sister runs a POS point which she started recently, but the landlord insisted she will not stay where she got a space close to the house. His reason is that he is not in good term with the family living opposite her shop. Now he is even sending people and threatening to destroy the shop of the woman who gave my sister the space to stay.

Note that his wife also take her fruit to thesame woman's shop and he doesn't have a problem with that.

Now on Monday this week, my sister's boyfriend visited her house (not to sleep over). Around 7pm the landlord came to knock on her door and asked her to tell the guy to go that it's late. According to her, she flared up and had exchange of words with the landlord. The next day, the man returned the 6 months rent she paid him barely 3 weeks ago in the presence of my dad who went to visit her and asked her verbally to vacate his house in 7days.

Her boyfriend also came to see my dad in her house to discuss his coming to my family for my sister's marriage introduction rite, but when he was leaving, the landlord started warning him never to come to the house again till my sister vacates.

Now my sister has gone to report the matter to the police and he was been invited to come yesterday but he didn't honour the invitation yet.

My sister simply wants him to serve her a proper quit notice and give her 3 months to vacate the house not the verbal one week notice. She is also asking that he should stop harassing her, her boyfriend or the woman she is staying in her shop.

Please do you think my sister has taken the right steps or is there any other thing she should do?
Was the man right in asking her boyfriend not to come to the house again? . I really need your input on this. Thanks.

Note that she reported this matter to the man who claimed to be the lawyer in charge of the house, he promised to get back to her but stopped taking her calls afterwards before she went to the police.

Create a new topic for this for wider coverage
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Tizu(m): 4:01am On May 09, 2021
You are lucky those were not professional tenants.
You will run when you live with one.
Their legal eviction process last at least two years in the court. Imagine now the courts are closed until God knows when in Buhari's Nigeria.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Tizu(m): 4:19am On May 09, 2021
See your mouth running "The reason for the quit notice is for personal use...nothing more"
Her tenancy is still running while you want to throw her out ?
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by plot697: 4:50am On May 09, 2021
]The lawyers here are not explaining things clearly.

Scenario 1.
A tenant that rented the house for one year doesn't pay his/rent after the expiration date. What does the land do? Can he recover his/her rent?

Scenario 2.
A tenant rents a house for a year. 7 months into year, the landlord needed the house for some reason best known to him. How does he recover the house?

* I am not a lawyer but have some experience. A tenant that does not pay for three consecutive months is not entitled to any notice to quit but only a seven day notice of owners intention to retake possession of property.
* You are legally entitled to all your rent whether you issued the tenant notice to quit or not. Go to your state multi door court and report the matter. One of two things would happen if not the two depending on your prayers are to the court. The court will help recover your rent. If your prayer includes sending the tenant away, the court will certainly grant it.
* the content of your tenancy agreement is important.
* in the second scenario, you would have to refund the balance of the tenant's rent and allow the tenant sometime to relocate since the fault is not coming from him.
* good luck.

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by victorjoe(m): 5:18am On May 09, 2021
DaBogu:
Author Leezah

LAWYER

or

DO IT YOURSELF (DIY)

or

GOVERNMENT

or

STREETS

I like "streets" over!!!

2 Likes

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by victorjoe(m): 5:19am On May 09, 2021
petitmonde:

Stop advertising your ignorance.
'flex six months Sara': unto say you gather money join build the property.

No mind am. Na so them de run mouth. Him never jam.

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 5:28am On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

I have gone to check it and I am back.
Everything I wrote before is what I still saw

Lagos Tenacy law please
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 5:38am On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

I have gone to check it and I am back.
Everything I wrote before is what I still saw

Hope you can clear your doubt now

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Zetty177x: 5:58am On May 09, 2021
Draslo:
Not a lawyer but if you serve me quit notice and I'm not owing, you're just wasting your time. If my rent expiration coincides with the quit notice, I'll flex 6-months sara and nothing go happen.

The problem is when landlords issue a quit notice in the morning, they expect you out by evening. Where is the sense in that? As if I'll be living under the bridge and contacting housing agents from there.

You are a lay man truly..
U can be served a quit notice during your tenancy period..even if you are a monthly, yearly, or even 6months tenant...if u pay your rent monthly, then u are a monthly tenant entitled to month's notice. What if the girl is a monthly tenant? The 6months notice rule won't apply. Guess what, that so called 6months notice u are talking of flexing is not free period for u or any tenant. I don't know why people misconstrue this law. And again, my pain about ur comment is the hundreds of people that liked ur comment, not u....
Make I nor go say dullards full NL o! Geez!

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by PoTTV: 6:46am On May 09, 2021
Oracleforce:

Partly from her yearly rent. base on the lawyer's advice
� � � Aswear your lawyer is a dumbo! What kind of silly advice is that. If that is the case refund her complete rent back to her and enforce the 6 months quit notice. Shikena!
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by gassbee: 7:41am On May 09, 2021
djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

by law i am entitled to 6months after my rent expires. period!
no Sir, dat law has been changed, u r now entitled to 6 months before ur rent expires, u can confirm from your lawyer if u doubt me
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Nobody: 7:47am On May 09, 2021
Draslo:

Ur a tenant nobody should have! U are those types of tenants many house owners see as a nightmare, u easily forget u rented the house not the owner!!

Advisory

I would advise landlords to give tenants at least 4months to pack out of the house, the quit notice should be served early enough and lawyers made to serve them their notices, u don't necessarily need to do that yourself!

I would advise tenants to pay their rents even when its about to expire if u re sure u still want t live there, pay ur house rent installmentally before it gets too big to pay, don't disrespect ur landlords, but if u feel u don't like him/her, is nothing personal just do ur own part by paying ur rent and keeping ur house in good condition at least that's where u live for now, pay ur electric bills and be conservative with energy otherwise get a generator or inverter, mind ur business and don't get involved in gossips with other cotenants, I've lived as a tenant in school, and I had a misunderstanding with my landlord but I have come to know that u being a tenant doesn't mean u should be fighting ur landlord!

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Nobody: 8:05am On May 09, 2021
gassbee:
no Sir, dat law has been changed, u r now entitled to 6 months before ur rent expires, u can confirm from your lawyer if u doubt me

okay. did not know. thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Before You Rent That House!!! / What Is The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And Deed Of Assignment??? / Architect Turns Old Cement Factory Into His Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.