Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,502 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Quit Notice To A Tenant - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Quit Notice To A Tenant (36882 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by fkj950ax(m): 8:08am On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

Hope you can clear your doubt now
I don't understand how you aren't getting this.
All you are just posting is what I had said before.
I think you got it confused with who you think you are quoting.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 8:33am On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

He is to give her the notice 6 months to her rent expiry, NOT after it expires.

This why i quoted you,you can't serve someone who has a running rent a notice,it is never done anywhere,are you going to refund the 6 months rent remaining on his contract?
If you serve me a notice while i still have up to 6 months on my contract i no go listen to you.
Why do you think the lady refuses to accept the notice? because it's illegal and she knows her right and no lawyer will enforce such an order except it's a quack

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by adebwalex(m): 8:35am On May 09, 2021
yomi007k:

Your life don finish.

You are a nobody.

I don't have time to argue with you...I just have to thank God from liberating me from the hand of wicked landlord like people like you if at all you don even get one which I doubt...
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by adebwalex(m): 8:37am On May 09, 2021
gstream:
guy... you never build house jare...stop lying.

That is your own believe. But to God be the glory am free from some of you Landlord palaber...
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by yomi007k(m): 8:38am On May 09, 2021
adebwalex:

I don't have time to argue with you...I just have to thank God from liberating me from the hand of wicked landlord like people like you if at all you don even get one which I doubt...

Go to hell...
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by adebwalex(m): 8:42am On May 09, 2021
Omoabike1:

Thank God for your own, but do not think of any landlords as wicked or selfish...

A man could av built his own personal House and live peacefully... But when he decides to build a house for the purpose of rentage and making himself money for a living, why will someone be bold enough to want to live without paying for it services

You can as well build a rentage apartment let see how nice you can be when your rent is not bin paid.. hahahahahahaha business is business not pleasure

And not everyone will build a house

For your Info i said some Landlord....Not all. I have lived with wicked landlord and Nice landlord before. Am saying it out of experience.. Am not in support of owing rent because some landlord use that to feed. But am trying to justify a situation were rent was not own by the tenant and the landlord bringing out an excuses just yo evict some one from his house is unspeakable... We need to be at time fill empathy by putting yourself in such tenant position....
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by adebwalex(m): 8:50am On May 09, 2021
yomi007k:

Go to hell...

You are talking to your entire generation to go to Hell..Bleep you Nicompi Animal. I don't have time to waste with Animal like you this Sunday morning period
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by yomi007k(m): 9:04am On May 09, 2021
adebwalex:

You are talking to your entire generation to go to Hell..Bleep you Nicompi Animal. I don't have time to waste with Animal like you this Sunday morning period

Frustration go kill you. You worthless piece of s.hit.

I get your time today . You think you have monopoly of trash talk.

You don jam your master today. R.etard.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Lekan239(m): 9:40am On May 09, 2021
Opus85:

There is nothing like rent free. People feel it is rent free because most times notice to quit are served after the rent has expired and tenant has not paid rent. This is how notice to quit works... If your rent is Jan to dec, I can serve you notice from 1st of July to end 31st of December at the anniversary of your tenancy.

You people should read tenancy laws and also the agreements before signing them. So many clauses are hidden that you won't know which would be used against you in court. If you have handled tenant-landlord cases in court, you will know how far. Both parties waste resources at the end landlord still wins
in this example you gave above, what if the landlord served the quite notice on 1st of April, it will expired by 1st of October right, since the tenant rent has not elapses then, will the tenant still have to vacate the house at the end of the notice to quit which is October?
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by supernet4(f): 11:21am On May 09, 2021
Draslo:

Not a sense of entitlement. By law, I'm entitled to six months.
By law u re entitled to 6 month payable not free oga

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Jenny1010(f): 11:41am On May 09, 2021
fineboynl:
no man it doesn't work like that. She is not going anywhere.

I'm sure you are not a lawyer because you are totally wrong in what you are saying . Don't misinform her. The notice to quit given to the tenants is valid.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Housing(m): 12:16pm On May 09, 2021
Draslo:

Yes but not free. The fact that most Landlord don't claim their right/rents for the six months grace period doesn't make it free. As the last law doesn't make it free.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Housing(m): 12:24pm On May 09, 2021
saphiere:
Are you aware that quit notice takes effect after 6 months? And during that period of 6 months you are not to collect any rent from the tenant?

Who told you that? A landlord has every right to his rent fee even after the tenant had been served a quit notice

2 Likes

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Montaque(m): 1:21pm On May 09, 2021
not in all cases. Where a tenant is in arrears for a year in Lagos State, the tenant is only entitled to a 7 days notice. People should stop doing landlords what they themself won't accept. EspeciALLY Igbos in Lagos
Draslo:

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Montaque(m): 1:23pm On May 09, 2021
Housing:

Who told you that? A landlord has every right to his rent fee even after the tenant had been served a quit notice

Leave the guy. I don't know how they come up with lots of misconception about tenancy. A tenant is liable to pay rent till he lives. Even during the period of the notice.

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by fkj950ax(m): 1:27pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

This why i quoted you,you can't serve someone who has a running rent a notice,it is never done anywhere,are you going to refund the 6 months rent remaining on his contract?
If you serve me a notice while i still have up to 6 months on my contract i no go listen to you.
Why do you think the lady refuses to accept the notice? because it's illegal and she knows her right and no lawyer will enforce such an order except it's a quack

Rent Start Feb 01
Rent End Jan 31

If the landlord wants his house back or wants the tenant out he has to give a notice 6 months before the rent expires.

Quit Notice date July 31.

It doesn't mean she has to leave the house July 31.
She has between Aug 01 and Jan 31 to vacate the premises.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Montaque(m): 1:27pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

Sometimes listen so you will learn. Arrogance cannot get you knowledge. A normal Quit Notice is served to expire along with the tenancy, whether the tenant is rent compliant or not
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Montaque(m): 1:30pm On May 09, 2021
BarristerAlarig:

This doesn't explain the right time to issue to quit notice. Is it 6months before rent expires or 6months after?

6 months before end of tenancy, whether the tenant has paid rent or not.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 1:50pm On May 09, 2021
Montaque:

Sometimes listen so you will learn. Arrogance cannot get you knowledge. A normal Quit Notice is served to expire along with the tenancy, whether the tenant is rent compliant or not

Some of you talk as if you have monopoly of knowledge,i just moved into a New flat after my landlady issued me quit notice at the expiration of my Rent in September,i spent extra 6months without paying a rent,the only payment i made is for utilities.
It you that need to come down from your high horse
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 1:52pm On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

Rent Start Feb 01
Rent End Jan 31

If the landlord wants his house back or wants the tenant out he has to give a notice 6 months before the rent expires.

Says who?
get yourself familiar with rent laws, elsewhere nonentity go dey take you shine
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by NoToPile: 1:57pm On May 09, 2021
DeoGratias1:

Please I need your advice and that of any other lawyer in the house about my sister's ordeal with her landlord.

My sister moved into a house she rented in 2019.
According to her, that evening the landlord started disturbing her on phone to sleep with him which she refused. After much persuasion from the man and she refused, the man turned against her and it has been a war for her.
Note that the man collected 10k from her as agreement fee but never gave her any agreement paper to sign till date.

Even though she went with her boyfriend the day she paid the house rent, all of a sudden since this year, the man insisted that the guy won't pass the night in her house any longer.

My sister runs a POS point which she started recently, but the landlord insisted she will not stay where she got a space close to the house. His reason is that he is not in good term with the family living opposite her shop. Now he is even sending people and threatening to destroy the shop of the woman who gave my sister the space to stay.

Note that his wife also take her fruit to thesame woman's shop and he doesn't have a problem with that.

Now on Monday this week, my sister's boyfriend visited her house (not to sleep over). Around 7pm the landlord came to knock on her door and asked her to tell the guy to go that it's late. According to her, she flared up and had exchange of words with the landlord. The next day, the man returned the 6 months rent she paid him barely 3 weeks ago in the presence of my dad who went to visit her and asked her verbally to vacate his house in 7days.

Her boyfriend also came to see my dad in her house to discuss his coming to my family for my sister's marriage introduction rite, but when he was leaving, the landlord started warning him never to come to the house again till my sister vacates.

Now my sister has gone to report the matter to the police and he was been invited to come yesterday but he didn't honour the invitation yet.

My sister simply wants him to serve her a proper quit notice and give her 3 months to vacate the house
not the verbal one week notice. She is also asking that he should stop harassing her, her boyfriend or the woman she is staying in her shop.

Please do you think my sister has taken the right steps or is there any other thing she should do?
Was the man right in asking her boyfriend not to come to the house again? . I really need your input on this. Thanks.

Note that she reported this matter to the man who claimed to be the lawyer in charge of the house, he promised to get back to her but stopped taking her calls afterwards before she went to the police.

You see someone sexually harrasing your sister, has returned her rent and she still wants to stay there for 3 months?

You know all these the landlord is doing is because your sister refused to sleep with him.

He has refunded her money, she should leave ASAP before that man plans for your sister.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 2:02pm On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

Rent Start Feb 01
Rent End Jan 31

The technicality is that your quit notice starts reading from the day i accept that notice from you.
Rent laws and edicts is much more technical,it protect the tenants more than the landlord, except you don't know where your right starts,.
Why do you think landlords don't like going to court any more?
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by fkj950ax(m): 3:32pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

The technicality is that your quit notice starts reading from the day i accept that notice from you.
Rent laws and edicts is much more technical,it protect the tenants more than the landlord, except you don't know where your right starts,.
Why do you think landlords don't like going to court any more?
Solatium:

Says who?
get yourself familiar with rent laws, elsewhere nonentity go dey take you shine

Is it the owner of a house that is the nonentity?

You seem just to be saying things based on hearsays. Most of your comments don't play out in real life.

You don't have to collect it from me. There are other ways to carry out proof of service in court I will paste it on your door and take a photo showing the house identifiers (number, street name) and I hold a copy of that day's newspaper.

There is no rent law or edicts in Lagos State. There is a Tenancy Law of 2020. I don't know about other States. The fact that you even called it an edict shows you are not abreast of the new provision on tenancy.

What kind of protection do you need as a tenant from your landlord if you abide by the agreement you both sign. He has a right to rent his house to you or ask you to leave, and you have a right to rent from him or leave, as long as it's in the terms of the agreement which is guided by the Tenancy Law.

Landlords don't go to court because the rent is miserable compared to legal expenses. And even when a court gives judgment against the tenant, most time they can't pay. Someone owing 2 years of N450k/yr because he can't afford it becomes a recalcitrant tenant because he still can't afford N600k to get a new place.
The landlord may spend N100k or N150k as legal fees to get him out. Remember the landlord is out of pocket by N900k. He will still hustle another N150k because of a tenant claiming rights.
It's better the tenant leaves, and he uses the N150k to fix the house and get a new tenant who will pay N550k.

For a landlord to ask a tenant to leave, he has to serve a quit notice, and it has been established that it should be 6 months notice for a yearly tenant. At the end of the notice, if the tenant doesn't leave, then removal proceeding starts. One week notice. Case filed at magistrate court. Tenant is served court papers. Court hears why tenant doesn't want to leave. Court confirms landlord has followed the law. Court rules (in favour of landlord most times) and if landlord requested for mense profit, court asks tenant to pay.

From my explanation before, Jan 31 is cut off date. If court rules May 25, mense profit will be rent pro rated from Feb 01 to May 25.

At this stage, landlord can get the court to ask the Sheriff to physically eject tenant.
If landlord insists on back rent or just mense profit, the tenants properties will be seized by the Sheriff and auctioned to get the landlord his money.
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 4:27pm On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

Is it the owner of a house that is the nonentity?

You seem just to be saying things based on hearsays. Most of your comments don't play out in real life.

You don't have to collect it from me. There are other ways to carry out proof of service in court I will paste it on your door and take a photo showing the house identifiers (number, street name) and I hold a copy of that day's newspaper.

There is no rent law or edicts in Lagos State. There is a Tenancy Law of 2020. I don't know about other States. The fact that you even called it an edict shows you are not abreast of the new provision on tenancy.

What kind of protection do you need as a tenant from your landlord if you abide by the agreement you both sign. He has a right to rent his house to you or ask you to leave, and you have a right to rent from him or leave, as long as it's in the terms of the agreement which is guided by the Tenancy Law.

Landlords don't go to court because the rent is miserable compared to legal expenses. And even when a court gives judgment against the tenant, most time they can't pay. Someone owing 2 years of N450k/yr because he can't afford it becomes a recalcitrant tenant because he still can't afford N600k to get a new place.
The landlord may spend N100k or N150k as legal fees to get him out. Remember the landlord is out of pocket by N900k. He will still hustle another N150k because of a tenant claiming rights.
It's better the tenant leaves, and he uses the N150k to fix the house and get a new tenant who will pay N550k.

For a landlord to ask a tenant to leave, he has to serve a quit notice, and it has been established that it should be 6 months notice for a yearly tenant. At the end of the notice, if the tenant doesn't leave, then removal proceeding starts. One week notice. Case filed at magistrate court. Tenant is served court papers. Court hears why tenant doesn't want to leave. Court confirms landlord has followed the law. Court rules (in favour of landlord most times) and if landlord requested for mense profit, court asks tenant to pay.

From my explanation before, Jan 31 is cut off date. If court rules May 25, mense profit will be rent pro rated from Feb 01 to May 25.

At this stage, landlord can get the court to ask the Sheriff to physically eject tenant.
If landlord insists on back rent or just mense profit, the tenants properties will be seized by the Sheriff and auctioned to get the landlord his money.

The scenario you just painted is not what the rent law is all about,i am talking about a non owing tenant, someone owing 2yrs rent can't expect to be treated fairly,he/she has exhausted the fair treatment under the law,the 2yrs spent has gone beyond the acceptable window of law,such a tenant does not need a quit notice before you act.
If the that with someone whose rent hasn't expired you no go find am funny, pasting of notice on wall don cast tay tay, gone were those day's landlord can get such black market arrangements.
Do it now and find yourself in trouble, except the person wet you dey follow deal no sabi.
just come try am with someone like me
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by fkj950ax(m): 4:47pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

The scenario you just painted is not what the rent law is all about,i am talking about a non owing tenant, someone owing 2yrs rent can't expect to be treated fairly,he/she has exhausted the fair treatment under the law,the 2yrs spent has gone beyond the acceptable window of law,such a tenant does not need a quit notice before you act.
If the that with someone whose rent hasn't expired you no go find am funny, pasting of notice on wall don cast tay tay, gone were those day's landlord can get such black market arrangements.
Do it now and find yourself in trouble, except the person wet you dey follow deal no sabi.
just come try am with someone like me

You are my tenant.
You are not owing me rent. You have paid me.
You rent you paid expires Jan 31, 2022
I want you to leave my house
I will give you quit notice July 31, 2021
You cannot force me to keep having you as a tenant.

Pasting on wall is not black arrangement, it is an option of Proof of Service under the Tenancy Law.

You have a lot of educating to do, and I think I have tried so far. I am not continuing this exchange with you because you are just forming streets, when the reality is different.

Even a tenant owing 2 year rent has rights. The landlord must still serve notice.

What do you mean "someone like you"... Attitude like this gets people into trouble in life. So you are Jackie Chan or what. Pay me my rent if due or pack out of my house if I have follow the law.

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 5:44pm On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

You are my tenant.

Pasting on wall is not black arrangement, it is an option of Proof of Service under the Tenancy Law.

You have a lot of educating to do, and I think I have tried so far. I am not continuing this exchange with you because you are just forming streets, when the reality is different.

Even a tenant owing 2 year rent has rights. The landlord must still serve notice.

What do you mean "someone like you"... Attitude like this gets people into trouble in life. So you are Jackie Chan or what. Pay me my rent if due or pack out of my house if I have follow the law.

.The scenario you painted is not different from what I said earlier but because you want to flex your muscle and think everyone is under your authority because you are the landlord does not allow you digest/comprehend.

My argument has been what you stated up there,you wait till the last day of rent to serve the notice,and the 6 months begins from the day the rent expired,not counting part of the rent as quit period.
How is that difficult for you to understand?
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Solatium(m): 5:49pm On May 09, 2021
fkj950ax:

You are my tenant.

The use of photography as evidence must have been after several unsuccessful attempt to serve in person or the person has been avoiding the notice,your legal team will then go back to the court and state the same to the judge,it is then the judge will order that he can be serve through substituted means,i.e photographs and Newspaper Advertorial.

Learn to read and apply things in totality,no be everything be gragra.
Na people like you i dey like to transact with,sebi you know law? we go both dey apply am
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by fkj950ax(m): 5:59pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

My argument has been what you stated up there,you wait till the last day of rent to serve the notice,and the 6 months begins from the day the rent expired,not counting part of the rent as quit period.
How is that difficult for you to understand?

You wait till rent expires before younissue quit notice?

You sir, are a genius heading off a cliff
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Opus85(m): 6:13pm On May 09, 2021
Lekan239:
in this example you gave above, what if the landlord served the quite notice on 1st of April, it will expired by 1st of October right, since the tenant rent has not elapses then, will the tenant still have to vacate the house at the end of the notice to quit which is October?

If you serve notice to quit on 1st of April, it will end 31st of October. Let me.know full details
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by Lekan239(m): 6:33pm On May 09, 2021
Opus85:

If you serve notice to quit on 1st of April, it will end 31st of October. Let me.know full details
what will be the case of the tenant in this scenario, since his rent has not expired, will the landlord refund the rent of the remaining two months?
Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by dustydee: 6:35pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

The use of photography as evidence must have been after several unsuccessful attempt to serve in person or the person has been avoiding the notice,your legal team will then go back to the court and state the same to the judge,it is then the judge will order that he can be serve through substituted means,i.e photographs and Newspaper Advertorial.

Learn to read and apply things in totality,no be everything be gragra.
Na people like you i dey like to transact with,sebi you know law? we go both dey apply am
I think you are missing the point. A notice can be issued to you 6 months to the end of your yearly tenancy. This notice will expire on the anniversary of your tenancy. That way you have exhausted your rent and also had ample time to find an alternate accommodation. If you refuse to leave (Say notice was given on June 30 for your rent that will expire on December 31st 2021), the landlord can commence eviction proceedings against you. If your eventually leave say June 30th 2022 you will be liable to pay 6 months rent (January 2022 after your rent expired till June 2022 when you finally left). The fact that your former landlady did not pursue you for the rent does not make it law. If you meet a principled and learned landlord, they will get that rent from you (and there are legal tools to do that) except you are bankrupt or untraceable. I hope this clarifies the point the other person was trying to make to you.

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice To A Tenant by gassbee: 6:54pm On May 09, 2021
Solatium:

lets assume you are a yearly paying tenant whose rent expires every 31st of December. The landlord now serves u 6 months quit notice effective from Ist of July which runs and expires by December 31st which also coincides with when your rent expires. Do u think the 6 months quit he gave u from July to December wil be illegal

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

how much will it cost me to Roof a 3 bedroom building / Latest Prices Of Building Materials In Nigeria (pics) / Nigerians With Property In UK Panic Over Unexplained Wealth Orders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.