Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,678 members, 7,823,917 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (275) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1649905 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Stevenssen(m): 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2021
bunmibanlyz:
Hello .... my sister recently got her F1 visa but she hasn't travelled yet and I am also going for my interview next month. We have the same sponsor (our dad). If I'm asked if I have any one in the US, my plan is to say NO. I hope this wouldn't be an issue. Or do I have to clarify that my sister recently got a visa also?

Thanks.
You should just say no since the question would be if you have anyone in the US, and you don't.
Keep the answers simple.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2021
AOJA:

She tried calling them but they weren't picking up, so she wrote them an email using the email provided on the white paper given to her during the interview, they responded that it has been sent to the location she picked.

That's why it's all confusing, she is afraid they have lost her passport or something like that.

How far? Has she been able to get her passport?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pace6: 4:51pm On Jun 21, 2021
The total deficit is high. And having a large deficit with a non parent sponsor usually decreases approval chances. [/quote]

Thank you very much, so what do you advise?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Stevenssen(m): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2021
Pace6:

Thank you very much, so what do you advise?
You can try your luck again or try and get some sort of funding before trying again. Your chances will be much higher if you have funding.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pace6: 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2021
You can try your luck again or try and get some sort of funding before trying again. Your chances will be much higher if you have funding.[/quote]

Once again thank you

Though it’s the person helping me out is actually my sponsor and I’m not sure he will want to transfer the funds to my brother/sister.

I’m confused at this point
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by jojoey: 5:25pm On Jun 21, 2021
Jesunikanloba:
From my own experience, it was not signed by me. I uploaded it as it was sent from the school. Please ensure to upload your visa fee receipt as well together with the docs required. Also make sure you politely explain why you need an emergency appointment. I got an approval within 2hours when I requested last month.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Marks112: 5:31pm On Jun 21, 2021
Hello everyone,I want to travel to the us but not planning to go to school ,just need something to enter with ,to hustle till I get papers
Which is the best way to enterlike which visa should I apply for ,was thinking school but was told if I don’t go to school ,my status will be cancelled but visiting still gives me 6months grace
And the visiting is highly unlikely for me cos I don’t have business here or husband or anything that will indicate I’m coming back to nigeria
Please which visa should I apply for?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 5:39pm On Jun 21, 2021
Marks112:
Hello everyone,I want to travel to the us but not planning to go to school ,just need something to enter with, to hustle till I get papers
Which is the best way to enterlike which visa should I apply for ,was thinking school but was told if I don’t go to school ,my status will be cancelled but visiting still gives me 6months grace
And the visiting is highly unlikely for me cos I don’t have business here or husband or anything that will indicate I’m coming back to nigeria

Hustle what?
There is no US visa for hustling.

15 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by iykelight: 5:48pm On Jun 21, 2021
Please is there anyone going to southern illinois university Edwardsville this fall?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 5:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
TWoods:

Hustle what?

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chibertha(f): 5:59pm On Jun 21, 2021
No please.
Girlbestfriend:

Have you gotten one now?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by wascofasco(m): 6:13pm On Jun 21, 2021
I would say the amount of deficit doesn't matter. We have seen other instances of more deficit with a relative as sponsor. In my Opinion, I dont think its the fees. I would say he/she should have explained in detail how the journey has been since 2006. such as 2007-08 diploma, I worked 1 year as teacher, doctor, etc. 2010 I started another NCE program blah blah blah. I now work as an engeer with ABC since 2019 till date. Make sure they are well structured and in line.

Stevenssen:

The total deficit is high. And having a large deficit with a non parent sponsor usually decreases approval chances.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Flexigenius: 6:19pm On Jun 21, 2021
EkemNgo:
I was misguided and so even before my F I-20 got to me, I made a request from the school to send me my sevis number and school code throughh the advice of someone. So after the payments, I applied for visa and the interview dates showed 4th January 2024 whereas my start date is August 15, the same person asked me to apply for emergency visa without telling me that I would need to upload my sevis receipt and i20 which by the way I haven't gotten them. So I filled the emergency request page and uploaded only my admission letter, till date no response. Right now I'm confused because I just learnt that it's the f i20 that I was supposed to attach. Pls what do I do now

I also applied for an emergency date recently and attached all documents but I have not gotten a response till now.

Although you’re meant to attach your SEVIS reciept, I don’t think that’s why you’ve not gotten a response. They’ve just not attended to your request.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by wascofasco(m): 6:23pm On Jun 21, 2021
How about if he split his deficit to say....My dad will be supporting me with $... and my uncle will also be contributing $... toward my education. If am right, he can only list one person on ds160 (I stand to be corrected). but he can explain himself better verbally.
fairheart:

You attempt to change what your Dad do? During interview, one of the key things VO note down in their remark section on applicant's profile is what sponsor does. If you say he is a farmer during first interview and that interview did not go well and you reapply and during second interview you say he is a mechanic, it will lead to automatic refusal. They would see it as lying/misrepresentation.

Also, I always say it, a consular would not take your statement if he/she is not interested in approving you. They always take the statement to look to seal their conviction that student is credible. So using this context, you satisfy consular during the interview, but your statement did not convince him/her that your Dad can comfortably pay.

Now, the following interview, changing school can be nice, but only when it will significantly change your case, or make your case favourable. VOs are human too; sometimes, they can see you as unserious student when your application is riddled with inconsistency. And that is why it is good to come to this thread and share your stories and ask for advise, then use that knowledge to decide what you think is best for you.

This is my opinion: I perceive you have a remark that says your sponsor may not be able to comfortably pay your COA due to the balance on the statement when you first applied. Secondly, it is possible your answer about what your sponsor do, did not sit well with the first VO, hence left a remark that affected other interviews.
My Advise: Do not reapply now. Please! Get a full-tuition scholarship and go back. You will get your visa. However, if you feel convinced that reapplying with your current profile still hold a good chance, please try again.
All the best!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pace6: 6:25pm On Jun 21, 2021
say the amount of deficit doesn't matter. We have seen other instances of more deficit with a relative as sponsor. In my Opinion, I dont think its the fees. I would say he/she should have explained in detail how the journey has been since 2006. such as 2007-08 diploma, I worked 1 year as teacher, doctor, etc. 2010 I started another NCE program blah blah blah. I now work as an engeer with ABC since 2019 till date. Make sure they are well structured and in line.

Hmmm thank you. Maybe really I fumbled here

[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by omokennyoguns20: 6:40pm On Jun 21, 2021
Please when did you apply?
Flexigenius:

I also applied for an emergency date recently and attached all documents but I have not gotten a response till now.

Although you’re meant to attach your SEVIS reciept, I don’t think that’s why you’ve not gotten a response. They’ve just not attended to your request.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Flexigenius: 6:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
omokennyoguns20:
Please when did you apply?

I applied last Thursday, 17th June.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by walmadamori: 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2021
I applied for emergency interview today at Abuja and got approval email within the hour, I would advise you to upload your i-20, SEVIS receipt and admission showing funding if any. Also politely state your case stating the resumption date clearly.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by osadestiny: 7:04pm On Jun 21, 2021
fairheart:

You attempt to change what your Dad do? During interview, one of the key things VO note down in their remark section on applicant's profile is what sponsor does. If you say he is a farmer during first interview and that interview did not go well and you reapply and during second interview you say he is a mechanic, it will lead to automatic refusal. They would see it as lying/misrepresentation.

Also, I always say it, a consular would not take your statement if he/she is not interested in approving you. They always take the statement to look to seal their conviction that student is credible. So using this context, you satisfy consular during the interview, but your statement did not convince him/her that your Dad can comfortably pay.

Now, the following interview, changing school can be nice, but only when it will significantly change your case, or make your case favourable. VOs are human too; sometimes, they can see you as unserious student when your application is riddled with inconsistency. And that is why it is good to come to this thread and share your stories and ask for advise, then use that knowledge to decide what you think is best for you.

This is my opinion: I perceive you have a remark that says your sponsor may not be able to comfortably pay your COA due to the balance on the statement when you first applied. Secondly, it is possible your answer about what your sponsor do, did not sit well with the first VO, hence left a remark that affected other interviews.
My Advise: Do not reapply now. Please! Get a full-tuition scholarship and go back. You will get your visa. However, if you feel convinced that reapplying with your current profile still hold a good chance, please try again.
All the best!

Thank you so much for replying, I have already reapplied again and I am going for my interview on the 28th of June that is a week from now. Please I just need guidelines on what to do this time around, I need your directions please. I wanted to explain to the VO in the next interview that my father has two things that he is doing, stating the first one I used in the first interview and then state the other one together with it. I don't actually know the problem why I was denied the first time because there was sufficient amount of money in my Father's bank statement and this time around I was given a partial tuition waiver
from my new school and I had $20k as the deficits. I am going for undergraduate degree and my school told me there is no funding available for undergraduate studies , i don't know where to get full funding. Talking about answering the questions that was been asked about my school , course and reason for choosing them, I played my role very well in answering all of that. I know all of your contributions will be resourceful to me this time around when I go to the embassy. I just need it please.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Davidkking(m): 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2021
Marks112:
Hello everyone,I want to travel to the us but not planning to go to school ,just need something to enter with ,to hustle till I get papers
LMAO... you're funny grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by walmadamori: 7:06pm On Jun 21, 2021
Pace6:
I applied and got admitted in a university in the US and my interview date was scheduled for today but unfortunately I was denied. The school I applied is $12k tuition and $8k estimated living expenses with other fees a total of $23,512

Me: good morning

VO: good morning

I see that you applied for this university, how did you get to know about it?

Me: Through my uncle who owns an educational consulting firm

VO: have you traveled outside Nigeria before?

Me: No ma’am

VO: who’s sponsoring your trip?

Me: My uncle

VO: when did you finish secondary school?

Me: 2006

VO: what have you been doing since then?

Me: I’ve had a National Diploma and a Higher National Diploma from xyz school in Nigeria

VO: hands back my passport and a green paper to me!

At this point I felt devastated and heart broken.

Please gurus in the house do you think I said anything wrong?

Was it that the tuition fee is way too much or too small?

In as much as you need to prepare well and answer questions intelligently and confidently, I believe prayer and God favour is the key because from what I saw from my own experience at the Lagos consulate office, some people do not stand a chance of getting approval from the VO from the way the interaction begins. Also your profile on the DS160 can equally disqualify you even if you answer all the questions well. The mood of the VO and the intuition or vibe He/she gets from you also determines the approval.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Girlbestfriend(f): 7:16pm On Jun 21, 2021
chibertha:
No please.

I sent you a mail. Let's talk
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Marks112: 7:17pm On Jun 21, 2021
TWoods:

Hustle what?
���,Just to enter joor
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Davidkking(m): 7:27pm On Jun 21, 2021
Marks112:

���,Just to enter joor
This is a student visa thread tho. You can create one for people looking to hustle in the US

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Easydgre8: 7:30pm On Jun 21, 2021
So I was hoping I'll testify positively today but it's the other way round sadly.
Denied today at Lagos embassy

Vo asked me to pass my i20 and passport as I was approaching the counter.
Vo: which sch are you going.
Me: going to Louisiana State University
Vo: why did you choose this school?
Me: I preferred Louisiana State University Shreveport because the school offered me the course aline to my career goal
The cost of living in the school location is affordable also the school offered me scholarship of over 12000 US dollars and I attended the school pilot preview day via zoom where I was able to see the school facilities and its environment which I believe fit my study curriculum.
Vo: where are you working
Me: I'm working at Imeafia Nigeria
Typed for some secs
Vo: who is paying for this deficit
Me: my mum
What does she do
Me: she owns a restaurant at Luanda Angola which she has been running for over 18years now and she's also into real estate.
Then he gave me a yellow paper and said I should try again.

I just finished my Nysc Feb this year. Could it be because my lack of work experience or from my sponsor or the entire transcript. �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Davidkking(m): 7:32pm On Jun 21, 2021
Easydgre8:
So I was hoping I'll testify positively today but it's the other way round sadly.
Denied today at Lagos embassy

Vo asked me to pass my i20 and passport as I was approaching the counter.
Vo: which sch are you going.
Me: going to Louisiana State University
Vo: why did you choose this school?
Me: I preferred Louisiana State University Shreveport because the school offered me the course aline to my career goal
The cost of living in the school location is affordable also the school offered me scholarship of over 12000 US dollars and I attended the school pilot preview day via zoom where I was able to see the school facilities and its environment which I believe fit my study curriculum.
Vo: where are you working
Me: I'm working at Imeafia Nigeria
Typed for some secs
Vo: who is paying for this deficit
Me: my mum
What does she do
Me: she owns a restaurant at Luanda Angola which she has been running for over 18years now and she's also into real estate.
Then he gave me a yellow paper and said I should try again.

I just finished my Nysc Feb this year. Could it be because my lack of work experience or from my sponsor or the entire transcript. �
What are you going to the US for?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Marks112: 7:37pm On Jun 21, 2021
Davidkking:

This is a student visa thread tho. You can create one for people looking to hustle in the US
Getat if you can’t help angry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by emmanuelle27: 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2021
Marks112:
Lmao, wrong thread, grin grin grin look for an American that will come here and marry you ma'am, then he'll file for you, lool, you're funny grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 7:44pm On Jun 21, 2021
walmadamori:

In as much as you need to prepare well and answer questions intelligently and confidently, iI believe prayer and God favour is the key because from what I saw from my own experience at the Lagos consulate office, some people do not stand a chance of getting approval from the VO from the way the interaction begins. Also your profile on the DS160 can equally disqualify you even if you answer all the questions well. The mood of the VO and the intuition or vibe He/she gets from you also determines the approval.

Not true. The application criteria for an F1 visa is clearly stated. Prayer is not one of them. For the person you quoted, he is going for a bachelors degree 15 years after he left secondary school. His reasoning is that he spent that time doing an ND and HND. Both should take a maximum of 5 years. What has he been doing for the other 10 years? Did he indicate he was gainfully employed for those years?

Also, the VOs now know that a HND degree is equivalent to a bachelors degree in Nigeria. Why would he want to do a second bachelors? His is a quintessential example of an educational aspiration that isn’t intended to enhance his career.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Davidkking(m): 7:49pm On Jun 21, 2021
TWoods:

Not true. The application criteria for an F1 visa is clearly stated. Prayer is not one of them. For the person you quoted, he is going for a bachelors degree 15 years after he left secondary school. His reasoning is that he spent that time doing an ND and HND. Both should take a maximum of 5 years. What has he been doing for the other 10 years? Did he indicate he was gainfully employed for those years?

Also, the VOs now know that a HND degree is equivalent to a bachelors degree in Nigeria. Why would he want to do a second bachelors? His is a quintessential example of an educational aspiration that isn’t intended to enhance his career.
I couldn't have said it better. The VO's don't just throw out peoples chances to further their education because they have a bad mood, they just try their possible best to find loopholes in your story. Anything that'll indicate you're trying to go hustle.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MipoRoss(f): 7:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
School: Western illinois university
Course: Msc. applied statistics and decision analytics 
Coa: 22600
Scholarship: 4000
Deficit:18600
No standardised test
Never travelled outside Nigeria 
Not married
Day: 21st, June 2021
Time:7:45am
Venue: Abuja
I can only say it was God's grace

ME: Goodmorning
VO: Good Morning, can I have your passport and I-20 please ?
Hands it over
VO: I see you are going to western illinois university, applied statistics and decision analytics ?
ME: Yes I am, please i am a little nervous, this is my first time.
VO: Smiles
ME: Then I laughed
VO: What will this program do for you ?
ME: I will return to work at my dad's company
VO: What kind of company ?
ME: Pharmaceutical manufacturing company she was quiet hinting me to continue then I went blank, when I noticed I went blank I started stuttering till the end of my interview cos I became scared

VO: Tell me about your academic background
ME: I graduated from Babcock University with a bachelor's degree in aaa in 2017. I had a 4.27/5.0 cgpa
VO: What have you been doing ?
ME: I proceeded for my one year compulsory nysc after that, I have been working at (vo Cuts in)
VO: I see you work at Bleep bank. Have you always been here ?
ME: I worked at yyy bank for 1year before moving to Bleep bank
VO: how many universities did you apply to?
ME: 4, University of Florida,western illinois university, illinois institute of technology and kennesaw state university
VO: how many admitted?
ME: western illinois university and kennesaw state university
VO: Who will be sponsoring your studies ?
ME: My mother
VO: What does she do ?
ME: She is a co-founder of bbb. She is also a big time supplier of agro products at restaurants and eateries. one of her top clients is Chicken Republic.
VO: I will be holding your passport and approving your visa.. omo everything after this I didn't hear. I honestly thought I messed up

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by iykelight: 7:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
Anyone going to southern Illinois University Edwardsville this fall?

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.