Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,969 members, 7,817,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (376) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1645444 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 11:25am On Jul 24, 2021
teebaxy:
Please is it true that America embassies in Lagos and Abuja has been shut down for the rest of 2021 ?

Na wa o. Na fake news sha
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by iretex1(m): 11:29am On Jul 24, 2021
ifeanyimoses:
Good morning Bright minds, hope we all had a good rest, waking up this morning and glancing on my mailbox, I got a notification that my provide feedback case has been closed with these response:

Public Response:

Dear Applicant,
Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you would like to know the status of your emergency appointment request

In response to your question, we would like to inform you that your request is still under review. You will received an e-mail once your emergency appointment has been approved or denied.

.... please for those that got likely response, what are the implications??, does it mean my ER might be approved this week as I applied on the 9th of this month.

God bless all

You're not alone. I also applied since 8th July. Hoping for the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 11:37am On Jul 24, 2021
Dwisy:
Good morning nairalanders ,I got an admission in EIU , masters in computer technology , tuition and personal expense $27k approximately I didnt make down payment and no GA though my financial affidavit reads $140K , my resumption date was 17th august , so I was advised to defer since I can't make visa appointment again . (visa queue up till 2022)

I just deferred and need help to achieve my dream of studying abroad , I am going to be 39 this August , married with kids and with no funding .

Can any of the gurus here help ?
k

Was it Lagos you applied to?
If yes, why didn't you switch to Abuja
Secondly did you apply for EA?
If not, why didn't you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hemingway: 11:45am On Jul 24, 2021
[quote author=FRUDO200 post=103985211]Hello House
Please is there anyone that had their visa approved on 15th july in Abuja.

Yes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Olaide1984: 11:50am On Jul 24, 2021
Same with me too bro, sorry is it Lagos or Abuja

quote author=iretex1 post=104036483]

You're not alone. I also applied since 8th July. Hoping for the best.[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hey25(m): 11:52am On Jul 24, 2021
Hi,
I've noticed that you have asked these questions several times?

I were in your shoes, I will not defer my
admission assuming the following conditions are met:
1. I have a full funding that eases my visa application and approval.
2. I have money to book my flight ticket at hand (look out for airlines that give some flexibility in emergency situations).
3. I have money to shop for the things I need for travel.
4. I have a place to stay upon my arrival.

If you read your I-20 well, there is a part that states that you can not come to the U.S. at later admission date than the one stated in your I-20. What this means is that the risk of being turned back at POE is high if you can't present a support statement from your school in your defence.

Personally, I think if those four conditions above are met, you should just carry on with your visa preparation and get it for your travel.
You can schedule your flight two or three days later.
I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make �
richieboy1994:
Hello nairalanders.

My emergency appointment date is 16th August, the same date with my program start date. And classes start 23rd August.

I have emailed the school for a late arrival letter/extension letter permitting me to enter 3 or 4 days after the program start date. The school refused and asked me to defer. I then asked for deferal from my program coordinator he still refused

Please my question is:
1. Will I be denied entry and the port of entry and deported back to naija if I am not able to show the officers at the port of entry, the extension letter?

2. Will I be given visa at the embassy even if they see that my program start date has begun?

Pls guys save me with your answers pls

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bayocanny: 12:28pm On Jul 24, 2021
Thiwhy:
If you compare Canada thread with this thread you ll shake your head. Smart people, always ready to reply without insult but I can’t say the same here. Always ready to troll someone. Fair heart, Walspring, Lagos is my home, shawarma are people I respect so much here, they have helped people countless times so what’s with all this back and forth �. That’s why people are creating WhatsApp groups because this thread is not serving it’s purpose anymore. Such a shame
I'm telling you. Very disturbing trends. On this thread, you will see unnecessary arguments, counter-arguments, cyber bullying and all of that. All these has no place on the Canadian student visa thread.
Twoods, Fairhearts and et al should put an end to this. Enough! No time for this.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by statemanui(m): 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2021
Hello guys,

Please I got this response from the U.S visa service Desk after I applied for an emergency appointment at the Lagos consulate:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you would like to know the status of your emergency appointment request.

In response to your question, we would like to inform you that your request is still under review. You will receive an e-mail once your emergency appointment has been approved or denied.

For more information please visit our website:
https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T3P3RXJ to share feedback on the services we provide.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,
U.S. Visa Service Desk.

Then I tried to check for available dates to see if it has been approved and could only find dates in 2022. However, I haven't submitted my DS160 form and I realized that I have an option to change location before submitting the form.

My question now is if I change my interview location to Abuja will my EA (Emergency appointment request) still count for this new location or will my EA option link be restored as it has been removed after my first request?

I will be anticipating your response guys.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tiimmy(m): 12:51pm On Jul 24, 2021
I have been following quite a number of threads in preparation for my F1 visa interview, and I feel it’s only fair I share my experience so as to help someone else.

My visa interview took place in Lagos on the 22nd of July 2021 10:30am.

Visa Transcript -

VO - Good morning, can I have your documents
Me - I greeted him back and proceeded to hand him my i20 and intl passport.

VO - Why are you going to the US
me - I’m going for my Masters of Business Administration & Management at bla bla bla business school in Boston Massachusetts.

VO - Why did you choose this school.
Me - I chose this school because of its central focus on entrepreneurship as well as an exciting elective titled “Business Strategy in emerging Markets”. For some reason the VO guy nodded.

VO - Have you travelled out of Nigeria before?
Me - Yes

VO - Where have you travelled to?
Me - Australia

VO - I see you have a $30k scholarship, how do you intend to cover the rest of your tuition and living expenses?
Me - I have been awarded a student loan by a private company affiliated with the school (I proceeded to hand him a letter from the loan company (prodigy finance) + a sheet with the breakdown of the loan amount, interest rate and loan repayment terms)

VO - How long will it take to pay this money back?
Me - The maximum repayment term is 20years, however because the company uses an APR system, I intend to pay back much sooner to reduce the overall amount I’ll eventually have to pay back. (VO nodded for the second time)

VO - How do you plan to pay this money back?
Me - I have been offered a managerial position in my company (I proceeded to hand over my post-study employment letter from my employer)

VO - (flips through the letter to the salary breakdown section) This amount is your annual salary right?
Me - Yes it is

VO - Are you married?
Me - Yes I am

VO - Do you have any children?
Me - Yes I do. I have a one year old daughter

VO - Why aren’t you travelling with your family?
Me - My wife just started working at a new company less than 6months ago, and she isn’t entitled to an annual leave yet. My daughter is also very young and we have all the help we need in raising our daughter here in Nigeria, in the US we will have no such help. (VO nodded for the third time).

VO - (types fast and said nothing for what felt like 2 long minutes). I’ll be approving your visa, (handed me a white sheet of paper) you can pick your passport up at bla bla bla.

The whole process took less than 5minutes.

My advice to those going for their interview soon -

1. Read through as many visa transcripts on nairaland as you can find. I wasn’t asked any question that I wasn’t prepared for thanks to reading through a lot of transcripts.

2. F1 visa is classified as “non immigrant visa”. You need to show sufficient proof that you have no plans to immigrate permanently to the US. Saying it to the VO is not enough. There were alot of people who said the same “I will be returning to Nigeria after my studies” who got rejected. You need to show proof of ties to Nigeria.

3. Get your financial documents intact. For some reasons most people who had extended family members sponsoring them were denied (eg uncles, aunts, god father etc). You are better off being sponsored by parents or siblings. And they are so much more interested in the careers of your sponsors than just looking through their statement of account details. I didn’t notice anyone being asked for SOA, I certainly wasn’t asked as well (I think they have figured that some people come along with fake SOA).

4. Remain calm. Don’t be ruffled by other peoples interview, no two interviews are exactly the same. I personally tried my hardest not to focus on other people’s interview although for the most part it’s difficult not to hear what’s going on.

Wish you the best. Cheers.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 1:25pm On Jul 24, 2021
Phrancxs:
Thanks, I really appreciate your response.

Okay, so i graduated with Upper Credit (3.21) and used to be a Credit Portfolio Manager with graphics design on the side.

Try do a WES Evaluation of your Transcripsts and apply to schools that accepts WES. Read about WES( World Education Service) online to know about them.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 1:29pm On Jul 24, 2021
Tiimmy:
I have been following quite a number of threads in preparation for my F1 visa interview, and I feel it’s only fair I share my experience so as to help someone else.

Visa Transcript -

me - I’m going for my Masters of Business Administration & Management at bla bla bla business school in Boston Massachusetts.

Me - I chose this school because of its central focus on entrepreneurship as well as an exciting elective titled “Business Strategy in emerging Markets”. For some reason the VO guy nodded.

Me - Yes

Me - Australia

VO - I see you have a $30k scholarship, how do you intend to cover the rest of your tuition and living expenses?
Me - I have been awarded a student loan by a private company affiliated with the school (I proceeded to hand him a letter from the loan company (prodigy finance) + a sheet with the breakdown of the loan amount, interest rate and loan repayment terms)

Me - The maximum repayment term is 20years, however because the company uses an APR system, I intend to pay back much sooner to reduce the overall amount I’ll eventually have to pay back. (VO nodded for the second time)

Me - I have been offered a managerial position in my company (I proceeded to hand over my post-study employment letter from my employer)

VO - (flips through the letter to the salary breakdown section) This amount is your annual salary right?
Me - Yes it is

VO - Are you married?
Me - Yes I am

Me - My wife just started working at a new company less than 6months ago, and she isn’t entitled to an annual leave yet. My daughter is also very young and we have all the help we need in raising our daughter here in Nigeria, in the US we will have no such help. (VO nodded for the third time).

VO - (types fast and said nothing for what felt like 2 long minutes). I’ll be approving your visa, (handed me a white sheet of paper) you can pick your passport up at bla bla bla.

1. Read through as many visa transcripts on nairaland as you can find. I wasn’t asked any question that I wasn’t prepared for thanks to reading through a lot of transcripts.

2. F1 visa is classified as “non immigrant visa”. You need to show sufficient proof that you have no plans to immigrate permanently to the US. Saying it to the VO is not enough. There were alot of people who said the same “I will be returning to Nigeria after my studies” who got rejected. You need to show proof of ties to Nigeria.

3. Get your financial documents intact. For some reasons most people who had extended family members sponsoring them were denied (eg uncles, aunts, god father etc). You are better off being sponsored by parents or siblings. And they are so much more interested in the careers of your sponsors than just looking through their statement of account details. I didn’t notice anyone being asked for SOA, I certainly wasn’t asked as well (I think they have figured that some people come along with fake SOA).

4. Remain calm. Don’t be ruffled by other peoples interview, no two interviews are exactly the same. I personally tried my hardest not to focus on other people’s interview although for the most part it’s difficult not to hear what’s going on.

Congrats

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tylerbaby: 1:30pm On Jul 24, 2021
Pefuele:

Check DNA lab. They give discounts for students and it is N35k for students. You will need to provide your admission letter and data Page of international passport. Best!
Please, is this accepted by NCDC and by the airline? Read somewhere that we are required to upload the results on their website.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 1:36pm On Jul 24, 2021
Dwisy:
Good morning nairalanders ,I got an admission in EIU , masters in computer technology , tuition and personal expense $27k approximately I didnt make down payment and no GA though my financial affidavit reads $140K , my resumption date was 17th august , so I was advised to defer since I can't make visa appointment again . (visa queue up till 2022)

I just deferred and need help to achieve my dream of studying abroad , I am going to be 39 this August , married with kids and with no funding .

Can any of the gurus here help ?

What's your profile? CGPA, work experience, GRE score, TOEFL/IELTS score?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 1:39pm On Jul 24, 2021
Tylerbaby:
Please, is this accepted by NCDC and by the airline? Read somewhere that we are required to upload the results on their website.

Check list of private lab approved by NCDC online. Let me know if you didn't see them their. You can ask your airline if they accept it.
Good-luck UT Tyler baby!

https://covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/privatelabs/

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mickeywilliams(m): 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2021
Hello guys, anyone with ideas of GRE test dates for 2021. Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Phaithy: 2:29pm On Jul 24, 2021
jerry8243:
Congratulations, was it the white paper he gave you he said you should take to the POE?

He gave me the white paper of course and returned my 1-20 stating I should take it with me to the POE.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by richieboy1994: 2:50pm On Jul 24, 2021
What do I do please?
They don't want to give me extension letter or defer my admission and I have a tuition scholarship in d school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dwisy: 4:52pm On Jul 24, 2021
Pefuele:

What's your profile? CGPA, work experience, GRE score, TOEFL/IELTS score?
CGPA is 2.84, 8years work experience as a security equipment project engineer , no GRE score , no TOEFL/IELTS

I only applied with the documents I had and was given the admission

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dwisy: 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2021
JavanElsevier41:
k

Was it Lagos you applied to?
If yes, why didn't you switch to Abuja
Secondly did you apply for EA?
If not, why didn't you

I have not applied for visa at all , based on the information I have that I might not get date for visa interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pufframmy: 5:14pm On Jul 24, 2021
congrat
Tiimmy:

Visa Transcript -

Me - Yes

Me - Australia

Me - Yes it is

VO - Are you married?
Me - Yes I am

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Erudite77: 5:41pm On Jul 24, 2021
Good evening, brothers and sisters. Hope you're doing good.

I'm happy to be here today. So far, coming here is the best thing for me because I have read a lot of information about admission process.

Going straight to the point, I hold a B.A. degree in English with a CGPA 3.27. I am interested in doing a Master's Degree in English language, not English literature. Because of my 2.2 certificate, I have been discouraged from applying to any international universities.

Although with the certificate, I have worked in East Africa for few years. And, glory be to God Almighty, my employers were impressed by my performance, which outweighed the grade.

But coming onto this platform, especially this thread, I have been encouraged to give it a try. I have seen a lot of testimonies.

Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, I need your guidance regarding which of the US universities accept 2.2 certificates.

I need your advice on how to go about the application process: universities, documents and other requirements.

I'll be looking forward to getting your useful advice cum information.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Be blessed.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tylerbaby: 5:54pm On Jul 24, 2021
Pefuele:

Check list of private lab approved by NCDC online. Let me know if you didn't see them their. You can ask your airline if they accept it.
Good-luck UT Tyler baby!

https://covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/privatelabs/
They are on the list. Thank you, Pefuele.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Olaoke16(m): 5:59pm On Jul 24, 2021
Erudite77:

I'm happy to be here today. So far, coming here is the best thing for me because I have read a lot of information about admission process.

Going straight to the point, I hold a B.A. certificate in English with a CGPA 3.27. I am interested in doing a Master's Degree in English language, not English literature. Because of my 2.2 certificate, I have been discouraged from applying to any international universities.

Although with the certificate, I have worked in East Africa for few years. And, glory be to God Almighty, my employers were impressed by my performance, which outweighed the grade.

But coming onto this platform, especially this thread, I have been encouraged to give it a try. I have seen a lot of testimonies.

Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, I need your guidance regarding which of the US universities accept 2.2 certificates.

I need your advice on how to go about the application process: universities, documents and other requirements.

Be blessed.

Check Bowling Green state university.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Erudite77: 6:08pm On Jul 24, 2021
Olaoke16:

Check Bowling Green state university.

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked it out. Its first requirement is a minimum of 3.4. And I have 3.27.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 24, 2021
Erudite77:

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked it out. Its first requirement is a minimum of 3.4. And I have 3.27.
Check Morgan State University
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sunnico(m): 6:15pm On Jul 24, 2021
Good evening everyone, first I want to say a big thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, I have picked so much reading through the comments here. I need some advice please, I recently scheduled my visa appointment and got the date February 1st, 2022, while my program start date is October 20th, 2021 my question is, should I go on to apply for an emergency request even though it states on the website that this should be done within 60 days to resumption which would fall on August 20th, or should I just wait till it's within 60 days, my fear is the delay that comes up at times, and hope this doesn't lag to my resumption date.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sureb0yy: 6:24pm On Jul 24, 2021
I’ll let others give more info/advice but please, NEVER EVER let anyone decide what you can or can’t do with your life. A second class lower degree doesn’t mean you can’t secure admission in an international university or that you can’t make giant strides in life. Get that negativity outta your head immediately else me and you go get problem.

Your profile has very good potential. I can already see how you could come up with a plan that would secure your dreams (e.g. after teaching in east Africa for a while, I enjoyed it and decided I’d like to teach in my country Nigeria, I talked to my former HOD and he advised me to get a grad degree in the UK, US or Canada that it would give me an edge to get hired at the faculty and achieve my dreams of becoming xyz. I’m determined to get to the top. I spent 4 months researching and I decided to study in the US because…).

The above was an example only. All I’m trying to say is for you to know what you wanna do, know why you wanna do it, and know how you’re gonna do it. Taking charge will not only help you get the admission, it will guide you when it’s visa time.

You’ll need to put the work in tho so google, google, google. Find schools that offer English language at MA level, read their requirements properly and if they don’t specifically say they have a cgpa requirement, go ahead and consider them. If it helps, compose an email and send to all them schools (even some of the ones who want a high cgpa) asking if they’re a right fit for you because you’re considering them. List your strengths, and let them give feedback on if you have a chance before you pay application fee lol.

Graduate level admissions are considered holistically, not just your cgpa. So, build an admission profile with a solid statement of purpose (let it stress the fact that you’re very eager to learn and get better, stress what you plan to do with the degree and show them you have a passion for the career path and you’d love for them to be a part of that dream) letter of recommendation, TOEFL if you can, GRE if you can, etc. you may even do a WES evaluation if you think it would help, your work experience would help you too.

Finally, GOOGLE, GOOgle, google! Dedicate time to research. You’ll get more info by doing your own research and asking us specific questions when you’re stuck, than just asking a generic one and having people respond with negativity. Also, be open to constructive criticism. You can do it!!!

Erudite77:

Going straight to the point, I hold a B.A. certificate in English with a CGPA 3.27. I am interested in doing a Master's Degree in English language, not English literature. Because of my 2.2 certificate, I have been discouraged from applying to any international universities.

Be blessed.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by psychologyshuby: 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2021
Have you tried to evaluate your transcript using the free WES IcAP? Please do that and let us know what your GP is on a 4. Scale. I believe it should be over 2.9 which is fair enough for some universities.
Erudite77:

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by walepepe21: 6:36pm On Jul 24, 2021
Tiimmy:

Visa Transcript -

Me - Yes

Me - Australia

Me - Yes it is

VO - Are you married?
Me - Yes I am

Hearty Congratulations

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Toriah789: 7:17pm On Jul 24, 2021
Hello Guys, please do our passports have book no?
It was requested for on the DS160 form or it doesn't apply?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nellie160: 7:28pm On Jul 24, 2021
Hello
Please can anyone recommend any cheap Hotel close to the international airport in Lagos?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by UAVdrones: 7:31pm On Jul 24, 2021
Congratulations!
Muleriders:

grin grin that Twoods guy?.

I almost committed suicide in 2018 when this dude quoted me and said "you are failure, just forget about American dream and re-enroll afresh in a Nigerian University to get a better grade", "what were you doing when your mates were making 2.1 and first class".

As God will have it, walspring came to my rescue for TOEFL and GRE 50% discount as well as sevis payment. Fairheart came through for mocks. He was calling me with his credit days to my interview. Lagosismyhome came through for motivation and mentorship.
To the glory of God and shame of Twoods, I will be graduating with an MBA next week Friday July 30. With an estimated cgpa of 3.7/4.0.

Also got several honors including Beta Gamma Sigma which is the highest honor any business student can receive in the whole world.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.