Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (646) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1642930 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by KingDavid12: 12:05pm On Dec 11, 2021
Good day everyone,

Please I have a question and would appreciate if anyone can help out.

I was denied at lagos embassy on Dec 6, the reasons written is the blue paper was somehow because the VO did not even ask me a question relating to that.

Now I am applying again but the date I am seeing is Sept 2022 and my resumption is Jan 2022. How can I get an early date so I don't miss the admission and scholarship that I have? Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gokoyer1401: 12:32pm On Dec 11, 2021
Congratulations ma'am. I am happy for you.

Could you explain in anyway you can how F2 expenses are calculated? I will appreciate your input.

OlawumiCecilia:
*Visa approved to the glory of God*.

NB: Our visa (F1 and F2) is a great testimony. We had the I-20 for the fall semester in June. I made application to Lagos, picked Dec 7, applied for emergency, waited for over a month and when they would respond, emergency request was denied. We were so worried. We contracted date out to an agent, that even made it worse and by August, the date we had was Dec 8 in Abuja. I notified my supervisor and HOD, who then suggested I start my program remotely. 3 working days before Dec8, Friday Dec 3 I mean (which happened to be the day before my birthday), devil raised ugly head again. Abuja embassy rescheduled our appointment to Feb 9, 2022. Ah, it was really a bad day. There was no more motivation in me to continue my program remotely. When I related that to my supervisor, he said if I cannot make it to the spring semester, I may lose my assistantship. That struck me badly. The following day, Saturday, we cancelled that Feb 9 appointment and paid new visa fee. Applied to Abuja and requested emergency. Alas, Monday came to be a good day. About 9am, Abuja embassy approved the emergency request. At that point, we knew we are getting our visa. Dec 7, 8, and 9 were the close dates available. That same Dec 8 when we originally have appointment had 18 slots, I was shocked. Why would the embassy cancelled appointment and still open that number of slots? Well, I knew it was not normal. So, we picked Dec 9, I never had interest in Dec 8 again. We prayed and fasted. I believe God answers prayers and whatever He says he would do cannot be changed. Delay is not denial.

COA: $34K (F2 expenses inclusive)
Funding: $31k
Deficit: $3k

Date: 9/12/2021
Interview time: 11:30am by one white VO
My husband and I got to the Abuja embassy around 7:30am wearing same attire. But later got interviewed by 11:30. Just one VO attended to everyone at window 9.
We: good morning
VO: good morning, what’s the relationship?
We: we are married
VO: ok. when did you get married?
We: we got married six months ago
VO: Have you travelled before?
Me: Yes, I went to the United Kingdom for my master’s degree program in Plant science and biotechnology… (VO cuts in)
VO: (to my husband) what of you? Have you travelled out before?
My husband: NO.
VO: I can see you’re going to North Dakota State University for PhD program?
Me: Yes, I am going to North Dakota State University for my doctoral degree program in Plant Pathology
VO: ok
VO: Why do you choose this course?
Me: I have interest in contributing to addressing the challenges of food insecurity that is ravaging the global population. Our food supply does not commensurate with the growing population because our crops suffer from the problem of pests and pathogens. So my interest in plant pathology is to study the interaction that goes on between hosts which is plants and pathogen and I believe this understanding would help to develop durable disease resistant hybrids.
VO: oh…great
VO: What would you do after the program:
Me: just like I returned when I went to the UK, my intention is to return back to my home country and take a research position (VO nods head) at the international institute of tropical agriculture located in Ibadan, Oyo state in Nigeria here. Not only because the company Is an international company but they have made impact not only in Nigeria but also in many African countries since it was established.
VO: I can see that you have stipend and tuition waiver
Me: Yes, I have a research assistantship with my supervisor professor Shaobin Zhong who is originally from China but now a professor at NDSU. I will be working on the interaction between plant and pathogens of crop (VO cuts in)
VO: When did you get married?
We: six months ago, June
VO: When did you know each other?
Me: 2016, that’s was in the school I did my bachelors
VO: Have you both travelled together before?
We: no, we got married six months ago.
VO (to my husband): What do you do?
Husband: I work at Resource Unveilers Nig. Ltd as a geophysicist and data analyst (VO cuts in)
VO: What are you doing there?
Husband: Basically… actually I work as a geophysicist and as a data (VO cuts in)
VO: So, what would you be doing in the US while she study?
Husband: Actually, I have a leave of absence from work that I would be accompanying my wife to the United States of America for her PhD program because I believe in her vision, goals, dreams….(VO cuts in)
VO: So you would be leaving your work for about 3 years thereabout?
Husband: yes sir.
VO starts typing for about 2 mins (In my mind, I was hoping the VO could ask more questions about my program so I can chip in that I have started my program in the fall semester remotely and had to defer I-20 to the Spring semester, but he never did ask)
VO: Did you travelled in the last 2 weeks?
We: No
Me: I travelled to the United Kingdom in 2019 and came back last year 2020. (VO cuts in)
VO: What did you say?
Me: I said I went to the UK in 2019 and came back (VO cuts in)
He typed for a while and the next thing I hear is that take this white paper, that would guide you on how to get back your passports blah blah blah…

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Leestan45(m): 1:00pm On Dec 11, 2021
Keren12:
Good morning guys. Please I need serious assistance on this matter. I have been refused Canada visa 3 times. 1 visit and two study, I want to try USA study route. Please what is the tendency that I will get it since there both share visa information. any one with experience can please answer
You dont know what will happen until you try but i’m sure you can be favored because your going for studies and your profile is going to show that you’ve applied for student visa twice and that will tell the visa officer that you really want to go and study by not giving up

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Amazingg11: 1:50pm On Dec 11, 2021
Childofgrace01:
VISA APPROVED✅✅
First of all, I’m very grateful to everyone who posts on this forum. I’ve been an avid reader of every transcript posted here and I vowed to join and post mine when I get my visa as this forum helped me a lot!
Visa approved Tuesday 07/12/2021 Abuja consulate
Appointment time was 9:15am I got there 8:15am but was interviewed around 12:15pm because there was only 1 VO, the bald white man…he was nice.
VO: Good morning please pass your I-20 passport, DS 160 confirmation and visa fee receipt
Me: Passes documents
VO: So where are you going to in the United States?
Me: I’m going to northern Illinois University dekalb Illinois.
VO: What are you going there to do
Me: I’m going for my master’s in public health
VO: Why public health?
Me: Public health is in continuation with what I studied as an undergrad which is medicine and surgery. While I was in medical school and even as a practicing doctor I realized one of the problems that plagued patients was lack of access to healthcare. Public health will give me the knowledge I need to work with the federal ministry of health and key stakeholders in the health sector to develop and implement policies that improve patient’s access to healthcare.
VO: Have you traveled out of the country before?
Me: Yes I have, I’ve been to the United Kingdom
VO: Oh really what did you go there to do?
Me: I’ve gone for different reasons- went on vacation a couple of times, went for a fashion show and went to present one of my publications in a medical conference
VO: What do you do here in Nigeria?
Me: I work as a research assistant at bleep teaching hospital. Prior to that, I was a practicing medical doctor for a year.
VO: What plans do you have after the public health?
Me: I’ll come back to Nigeria to work hand in hand with the federal ministry of health and health maintenance organizations to improve on those policies I mentioned earlier that will improve patient’s access to healthcare. I will also return to my Alma mater where I’m currently working as a research assistant to lecture
VO: Who will be sponsoring your education?
Me: My parents
VO: What do they do?
Me: My mom is a corporate lawyer. She’s a senior manager at bleep in Abuja and my dad is a barrister and solicitor, he represents clients in court. I also received a merit based partial tuition waiver
VO: Oh nice and how much is the waiver?
Me: About 7,000 dollars. I noticed the VO was looking for the waiver on my I-20 so I quickly informed him that the waiver came in after I had received my I-20. I tried emailing the school to send an updated I-20 but they refused and said the letter stating the tuition waiver should suffice and I should present it along with my financials if I’m asked for proof.
VO: Okay your application sounds good, I will be approving your visa. So I’ll keep your passport, you can pick it up in about a week. You’ll need your I-20 at the port of entry keep it with you at all times. This white paper will give you information on how to pick up your passport.
Me: Thank you very much, have a good day!
NB: No documents were asked for, nothing not even bank statements
This was the man that approved my visa same day.very niceee…He approved a lot of student visa that day

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mascotyl: 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2021
My appointment date is January 24,2022 and my school resumption date is January 10,2022 . Have requested for two EA and wasn't granted; so can I be interviewed at Embassy after my school resumption date? Cuz I haven't seen any closer date. I also requested for an extension letter from my school, but school says they don't give Extension letter to students .

Pls, can I be interviewed after my resumption date and there won't be an issues at Embassy?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bukhety(f): 2:40pm On Dec 11, 2021
Mascotyl:
My appointment date is January 24,2022 and my school resumption date is January 10,2022 . Have requested for two EA and wasn't granted; so can I be interviewed at Embassy after my school resumption date? Cuz I haven't seen any closer date. I also requested for an extension letter from my school, but school says they don't give Extension letter to students .

Pls, can I be interviewed after my resumption date and there won't be an issues at Embassy?
No, you cannot, your best bet is to continue checking for a closer date or defer. Best wishes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Kennytrips(m): 2:59pm On Dec 11, 2021
Hello Kayjay69, I am having the same issue with the ustraveldoc site. Have you been able to schedule an appointment?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mascotyl: 3:06pm On Dec 11, 2021
bukhety:

No, you cannot, your best bet is to continue checking for a closer date or defer. Best wishes

If I deferred my admission to Fall 2022 , can I still be interviewed in January 24,2022. I'm would go to Embassy with my Deferment letter cause it takes my school some months before issuing new i-20 to students .

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kayjay69(m): 3:13pm On Dec 11, 2021
Yes, i had to pay someone to help me do it.
Obviously some people are aware of this and are taking full advantage of it to make money.
I don't know who manages the website and if they are aware but it is quite unfortunate really.
Kennytrips:
Hello Kayjay69, I am having the same issue with the ustraveldoc site. Have you been able to schedule an appointment?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaySterling: 3:39pm On Dec 11, 2021
No more surge dates or emergency appointment (EA) dates for December,
January etc

Defer your admission to Summer or Fall 2022

Good luck y’all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bnad: 3:46pm On Dec 11, 2021
I have a question.
To the people who have gone to Abuja embassy in the last two weeks, is it only a male visa officer that attends to you guys or both male and female?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Childofgrace01: 3:47pm On Dec 11, 2021
Oh congratulations! Where is your transcript so I can read your experience? Yes he was nice
Amazingg11:

This was the man that approved my visa same day.very niceee…He approved a lot of student visa that day
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Childofgrace01: 3:49pm On Dec 11, 2021
Only 1 male
bnad:
I have a question.
To the people who have gone to Abuja embassy in the last two weeks, is it only a male visa officer that attends to you guys or both male and female?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Childofgrace01: 3:50pm On Dec 11, 2021
Thank you
Femotech123:

Congrats to you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Childofgrace01: 3:55pm On Dec 11, 2021
Thank you very much
Kaygirl33:

Wow! Na Abuja Consulate dey reign oo! Congratulations to you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Childofgrace01: 3:57pm On Dec 11, 2021
So brilliantly and perfectly put!
Timotte:

* Must my research publication be limited to my final year project, or can I write on any topic germane to political science that interests me?.
No, it doesn't have to be limited to your final year project. Your research paper can be on any topic in political science that you like. However, your final year project may be much easier to use as you've done the bulk of the research work already. I'm not sure if you fully grasp the process of conducting research and writing a research paper. A research paper isn't exactly like a commentary or an editorial that you just write like an essay. You have to develop a research question, study rationale and study objectives/aims. Then you need to obtain the dataset that you'll be using for your data analysis. Findings from your data analysis will be reported in your results section and then you'll discuss about your result findings with respect to your study objectives, hypothesis, and existing literature (previous studies that have been done on the research topic).

*And isn't there some measures to trim down the amount of research publication that is published on a certain journal or can any and every body publish a research publication?.
I'm not sure if I fully understand you here, but I'll try. Not every paper that is submitted to a journal gets accepted. Most journals have acceptance rates ranging from 10% (or less) to about 30%. The more prestigious the journal is, the more difficult it is to get accepted. You can determine how prestigious a journal is by using the "impact factor" of the journal. The higher the impact factor of a journal, the more prestigious the journal is.

*Can I publish my research in multiple journals, and can I write multiple research publications?.
As a rule, if you submit a paper to a journal, you cannot submit it to another journal, unless the paper is rejected and then you can resubmit it to another journal. Simply put, you can only publish a paper in one journal. With respect to multiple research publications, yes, you can write multiple papers, but note that conducting research and writing the manuscript is tedious.

*And finally is there any monetary aspect to the publication?. If so, does that invariably means that the best journal charge the most. And what could be the cost range?.
The issue of cost of publication depends on various factors. If an author wants to publish an "open access" paper (open access means that anybody can view and read the paper), then there's a cost, which can range from $1,000 to $4,000 or more. However, for most journals, if you do not want open access, then there's usually no charge. But people will only be able to read the abstract of the paper unless they have a subscription that gives them access to the full paper.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ifedayosol(m): 4:00pm On Dec 11, 2021
Congratulations!!! More wins for u.

Quick one, please how much is expenses of dependent(spouse) on your i-20 ?
Just want to have idea of expenses of dependent.

Thanks

OlawumiCecilia:
*Visa approved to the glory of God*.

NB: Our visa (F1 and F2) is a great testimony. We had the I-20 for the fall semester in June. I made application to Lagos, picked Dec 7, applied for emergency, waited for over a month and when they would respond, emergency request was denied. We were so worried. We contracted date out to an agent, that even made it worse and by August, the date we had was Dec 8 in Abuja. I notified my supervisor and HOD, who then suggested I start my program remotely. 3 working days before Dec8, Friday Dec 3 I mean (which happened to be the day before my birthday), devil raised ugly head again. Abuja embassy rescheduled our appointment to Feb 9, 2022. Ah, it was really a bad day. There was no more motivation in me to continue my program remotely. When I related that to my supervisor, he said if I cannot make it to the spring semester, I may lose my assistantship. That struck me badly. The following day, Saturday, we cancelled that Feb 9 appointment and paid new visa fee. Applied to Abuja and requested emergency. Alas, Monday came to be a good day. About 9am, Abuja embassy approved the emergency request. At that point, we knew we are getting our visa. Dec 7, 8, and 9 were the close dates available. That same Dec 8 when we originally have appointment had 18 slots, I was shocked. Why would the embassy cancelled appointment and still open that number of slots? Well, I knew it was not normal. So, we picked Dec 9, I never had interest in Dec 8 again. We prayed and fasted. I believe God answers prayers and whatever He says he would do cannot be changed. Delay is not denial.

COA: $34K (F2 expenses inclusive)
Funding: $31k
Deficit: $3k
Date: 9/12/2021
Interview time: 11:30am by one white VO
My husband and I got to the Abuja embassy around 7:30am wearing same attire. But later got interviewed by 11:30. Just one VO attended to everyone at window 9.
We: good morning
VO: good morning, what’s the relationship?
We: we are married
VO: ok. when did you get married?
We: we got married six months ago
VO: Have you travelled before?
Me: Yes, I went to the United Kingdom for my master’s degree program in Plant science and biotechnology… (VO cuts in)
VO: (to my husband) what of you? Have you travelled out before?
My husband: NO.
VO: I can see you’re going to North Dakota State University for PhD program?
Me: Yes, I am going to North Dakota State University for my doctoral degree program in Plant Pathology
VO: ok
VO: Why do you choose this course?
Me: I have interest in contributing to addressing the challenges of food insecurity that is ravaging the global population. Our food supply does not commensurate with the growing population because our crops suffer from the problem of pests and pathogens. So my interest in plant pathology is to study the interaction that goes on between hosts which is plants and pathogen and I believe this understanding would help to develop durable disease resistant hybrids.
VO: oh…great
VO: What would you do after the program:
Me: just like I returned when I went to the UK, my intention is to return back to my home country and take a research position (VO nods head) at the international institute of tropical agriculture located in Ibadan, Oyo state in Nigeria here. Not only because the company Is an international company but they have made impact not only in Nigeria but also in many African countries since it was established.
VO: I can see that you have stipend and tuition waiver
Me: Yes, I have a research assistantship with my supervisor professor Shaobin Zhong who is originally from China but now a professor at NDSU. I will be working on the interaction between plant and pathogens of crop (VO cuts in)
VO: When did you get married?
We: six months ago, June
VO: When did you know each other?
Me: 2016, that’s was in the school I did my bachelors
VO: Have you both travelled together before?
We: no, we got married six months ago.
VO (to my husband): What do you do?
Husband: I work at Resource Unveilers Nig. Ltd as a geophysicist and data analyst (VO cuts in)
VO: What are you doing there?
Husband: Basically… actually I work as a geophysicist and as a data (VO cuts in)
VO: So, what would you be doing in the US while she study?
Husband: Actually, I have a leave of absence from work that I would be accompanying my wife to the United States of America for her PhD program because I believe in her vision, goals, dreams….(VO cuts in)
VO: So you would be leaving your work for about 3 years thereabout?
Husband: yes sir.
VO starts typing for about 2 mins (In my mind, I was hoping the VO could ask more questions about my program so I can chip in that I have started my program in the fall semester remotely and had to defer I-20 to the Spring semester, but he never did ask)
VO: Did you travelled in the last 2 weeks?
We: No
Me: I travelled to the United Kingdom in 2019 and came back last year 2020. (VO cuts in)
VO: What did you say?
Me: I said I went to the UK in 2019 and came back (VO cuts in)
He typed for a while and the next thing I hear is that take this white paper, that would guide you on how to get back your passports blah blah blah…

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by stone2x: 4:05pm On Dec 11, 2021
bnad:
Is there anyone who is also interested in doing mock interviews?

Please am interested.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nahum777(m): 4:36pm On Dec 11, 2021
Mistakenly paid SEVIS fee before booking interview. The validity of the SEVIS will expire before the next interview date which is in 2022.

Is there anything that can be done? Emergency appointment for December was denied.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gokoyer1401: 4:40pm On Dec 11, 2021
Hopefully, madam will reply us. I had asked something similar from her earlier on.
Sir, have you secured admission and when are you planning to resume studies in US?
ifedayosol:

Thanks

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ifedayosol(m): 4:52pm On Dec 11, 2021
Admission secured
Resumption is Jan
EA still under review

Gokoyer1401:
Hopefully, madam will reply us. I had asked something similar from her earlier on.
Sir, have you secured admission and when are you planning to resume studies in US?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gokoyer1401: 5:01pm On Dec 11, 2021
Ok, i wish you all the best sir. Looking forward to hear good news from you.
Btw, I have applied to some schools for Fall 2022, and i am hoping to secure some funding. My plan is enter US with my wife and kids. So, i am desperately looking for the financial requirements to obtain visa also for dependents.
ifedayosol:
Admission secured
Resumption is Jan
EA still under review

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by macsilver(m): 5:11pm On Dec 11, 2021
I have problem with maths in this life, hence my fear for GRE. I NEVER passed maths in my life. In fact after plus and minus I know nothing. Is there any material that can help in this aspect?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Erudite77: 6:03pm On Dec 11, 2021
macsilver:
I have problem with maths in this life, hence my fear for GRE. I NEVER passed maths in my life. In fact after plus and minus I know nothing. Is there any material that can help in this aspect?

This got me laughing hysterically.

Mathematics no be people's mate o.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by abrahamfexli1: 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2021
Hi! Everyone thanks so much for All the beautiful contents posted here it really helped me.

I got my Visa Approved yesterday to the glory of God.

School: Florida State University
Course: Systems Engineering
Funding: No funding
Appointment time: 10/12/2021 (9:30)

God is the key.
Pray for confidence, mercy and favour and God who did it for me will do it for All of you who believe.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Presto12: 6:24pm On Dec 11, 2021
abrahamfexli1:
Hi! Everyone thanks so much for All the beautiful contents posted here it really helped me.

I got my Visa Approved yesterday to the glory of God.

School: Florida State University
Course: Systems Engineering
Funding: No funding
Appointment time: 10/12/2021 (9:30)

God is the key.
Pray for confidence, mercy and favour and God who did it for me will do it for All of you who believe.

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Samreb: 6:32pm On Dec 11, 2021
Good evening everyone, please where can I get a single dose vaccine, I heard of one called Johnson Johnson, please where can I get it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ModelLook(m): 6:37pm On Dec 11, 2021
Good Evening.

Please can someone with a B.Sc from Nigeria apply for ADN (Associate Degree In Nursing) in USA? Is it possible?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Oyeyemidesign: 7:00pm On Dec 11, 2021
Mascotyl:

If I deferred my admission to Fall 2022 , can I still be interviewed in January 24,2022. I'm would go to Embassy with my Deferment letter cause it takes my school some months before issuing new i-20 to students .
You can only apply for visa when it’s 120 days to your program start date. For Fall you can only go to embassy for interview from April/May

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Uco01(m): 7:08pm On Dec 11, 2021
I am very grateful for everyone on this platform. Have been a silent follower and I got my visa approved in abuja on 7th. Confidence and hard work is the key.

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bukhety(f): 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2021
ifedayosol:

Thanks

The expenses of a dependant depends on the school. You have to check the schools website to know

(1) (2) (3) ... (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.