Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,229 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1644201 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2021
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Cover Crop Systems
Agricultural Research Service (ARS)- ORISE

https://careers.careerplacement.org/jobs/14415134/postdoctoral-fellowship-in-cover-crop-systems
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2021
Postdoctoral Fellow, Cropping Systems Agronomy

University of Idaho, Parma R&E Center

https://careers.careerplacement.org/jobs/14513056/postdoctoral-fellow-cropping-systems-agronomy

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:22pm On Mar 13, 2021
MS Research Assistantships in Applied Ecology, North Carolina State University

Specializing in Environmental Risk Sciences

Seeking highly motivated candidates for MS Research Assistantships focused on environmental risk assessments of new technologies, such as nanotechnology, advanced materials, and/or biotechnologies.

Research projects may be related to:
Evaluating risk assessment frameworks for new, emerging technologies used in food and agriculture;
Evaluating uncertainties in risk assessment that evaluate new/novel risks;
Evaluating risks and benefits of new (bio)technologies developed for conservation.

Assistantships will also develop materials for NC State Extension. Collaboration with the Genetic Engineering and Society (GES) Center at NC State is also possible, with an option of pursuing an additional minor in GES.

Two years of funding available on a Research Assistantship, with demonstrated progress towards the student’s degree.

Assistantship will start in August 2021, and includes a salary, tuition, and health benefits.

Required Skills: BSC in natural sciences, biology, engineering, or other STEM-related field, with strong research, analytical, and communication skills.

Preferred Skills: Familiarity with risk sciences, including risk assessment and communication, as well as interest or experience in community outreach and education.

Application Deadline: April 1, 2021

Application Instructions:
Please send your Academic CV, transcripts, 3 references, and a personal statement that describes your motivations and goals for the MS assistantship to Dr. Khara Grieger (kdgriege@ncsu.edu), no later than April 1, 2021

Complete and submit a graduate application through the NC State Graduate School (https://grad.ncsu.edu/).

Students may find information about the Biology Graduation Program and application procedures at:

https://bio.sciences.ncsu.edu/graduate/graduate-programs/biology/
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:28pm On Mar 13, 2021
PhD level graduate student position in Sustainable Nitrogen Management, University of Maryland, USA

The Environmental Science and Policy Lab at the Appalachian Laboratory of the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (UMCES) is seeking a motivated Ph.D. student interested in investigating nitrogen (N) cycles in coupled human and natural systems ad informing N management along the food supply chain. This position is funded by a research project recently awarded by National Science Foundation (NSF), titled “CAREER: Sustainable Nitrogen Management across Spatial and System Scales”
(https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2047165&HistoricalAwards=false).

The student will be advised by Professor Xin Zhang, the PI of the project. The student will have the opportunity to
1) quantify key nitrogen flows in the agro-food system at various spatial scales; and/or
2) work with a stakeholder advisory group to co-develop indicators and models to assist decision-making in N management along the food supply chain in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. Through this transdisciplinary and transnational project, the student will have ample opportunities to work with a range of stakeholders (e.g., policy makers, NGOs, farmers, agricultural business) and international experts. More information about the lab: https://research.al.umces.edu/xzhang/

Qualifications:
Students with strong quantitative backgrounds and interests in stakeholder engagement and policy applications are particularly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate should be proficient in at least one programming language.

Start Date: Flexible. The review of applications will begin March 15, 2021 and continue until a qualified candidate is found.

The UMCES Appalachian Laboratory (AL-UMCES), Frostburg, MD. Frostburg is a small college town with a low cost of living and abundant outdoor recreation opportunities. Nearby amenities include numerous state forests and wildlife areas, scenic Appalachian Mountains, and Frostburg State University.

Description:
The assistantship will include tuition coverage, benefits, and a 12-month annual stipend of over $26,000. Three years of support are available through the NSF research assistantship, with additional support available through AL-UMCES institutional funds and fellowships.

Program: The student will matriculate through the Marine, Estuarine, and Environmental Sciences Program
(MEES; https://www.mees.umd.edu/admissions#How-to-apply),
a University of Maryland multi-campus joint degree program, and will reside at the Appalachian Laboratory in Frostburg for the duration of the project.

In addition to the MEES application, interested candidates should also send an email to Xin Zhang (xin.zhang@umces.edu) containing following documents as a single PDF:
(1) a statement of interest,
(2) an Academic CV,
(3) contact information (names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses) for three references, and
(4) copy of academic transcripts (optional).  Please indicate in your subject line “[NSF-SUSN position]”. Informal inquiries are also welcome.

Information about AL and UMCES can be found at: 
http://www.al.umces.edu/. 

UMCES is an affirmative action, EOE.  Individuals with disabilities, veterans, women and minorities are encouraged to apply
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:29pm On Mar 13, 2021
Research Assistant position available (details below) at Rockefeller University, New York City, USA

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:32pm On Mar 13, 2021
PhD student wanted at the Drexel ASIM Lab, Drexel University College of Engineering, Philadelphia, USA

Research Objective......
Thermodynamic-guided manufacturing process for production of lightweight aggregate from waste glass and waste coal combustion ash.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Vivianchisom93: 1:32pm On Mar 13, 2021
ok thank you
horlahsunbo225:

You've to pay thru someone in USA or contact walspring
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 1:35pm On Mar 13, 2021
I am looking for two students interested in an M.S or a Ph.D in Agriculture (Biotechnology) to work with me at Tennessee State University, USA

Download this PDF file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0TSifz67LPzquZTYnhBtTNrg0BDQUuL/view

More details are in there

Projects will be on "Peptides in Root Nodule Symbiosis"

Come work with me in Nashville AKA Music City!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kastgeraldino: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2021
Bro, it's great that you are helping prospective students, but don't you think this is the wrong place to be posting all these? Perhaps you can just attach a small link without using pages. Moreover, those who are really serious will find a way to get this information. This space is mainly for visa stuff, if I'm not mistaken.

lentomac:
I am looking for two students interested in an M.S or a Ph.D in Agriculture (Biotechnology) to work with me at Tennessee State University, USA

Download this PDF file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0TSifz67LPzquZTYnhBtTNrg0BDQUuL/view

More details are in there

Projects will be on "Peptides in Root Nodule Symbiosis"

Come work with me in Nashville AKA Music City!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chibertha(f): 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2021
Yes you can only if you are on F1
Purplestorm:
Good evening guys, please I’ll like to ask if it is possible to change course of study in the same school when you get to USA after receiving your study visa?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2021
Yes and Yes. What's up with the GTApp?
nelmc:
1. Must SEVIS fee be paid before visa interview fee?

2. Anyone who has paid for interview fees with a GTBank app pls indicate. Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 13, 2021
kastgeraldino:
Bro, it's great that you are helping prospective students, but don't you think this is the wrong place to be posting all these? Perhaps you can just attach a small link without using pages. Moreover, those who are really serious will find a way to get this information. This space is mainly for visa stuff, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree.

I really don't use Nairaland for any other reason than to get information about the visa process.

I follow this thread and sometimes it's frustrating to see notifications for 30 - 50 new posts talking about admission opportunities.

I can understand the utility of these info, but I don't think this is the right thread for that
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Walspring: 3:15pm On Mar 13, 2021
Vivianchisom93:
ok thank you

You welcome and you can contact if you want me to pay for you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Walspring: 3:18pm On Mar 13, 2021
Purplestorm:
Good evening guys, please I’ll like to ask if it is possible to change course of study in the same school when you get to USA after receiving your study visa?

Yes it possible and there are procedures in doing such and also you must get admission in that other school before you get to USA so as to make the transfer easy.

Remember the school you got visa with won’t like it and they will want to stress you and even cancel your sevis so as to have negative effect like you been out of status.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Walspring: 3:23pm On Mar 13, 2021
nelmc:
1. Must SEVIS fee be paid before visa interview fee?

2. Anyone who has paid for interview fees with a GTBank app pls indicate. Thank you.

You can pay any one you want first but remember sevis fee must be paid before going for visa interview because the receipt is needed during visa interview. You can feel free to contact me for Sevis fee payment.

Also I advise you don’t pay your visa fee via mobile app if you don’t have Internet banking on your GTBank because of the visa fee receipt that you will need to print.

If you pay via GTBank app you won’t see the receipt unless you go and login via your internet banking and download the receipt.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by nelmc: 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2021
KemLaughs:

The “Date” part on the form, was it date of birth or today’s date they require?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Fabuloski(m): 4:50pm On Mar 13, 2021
KemLaughs:
Please can I contact you? I want to go through the process and I need a bit of Guide. I have emailed you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 13, 2021
Sure. I've responded
Fabuloski:

Please can I contact you? I want to go through the process and I need a bit of Guide. I have emailed you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by jhidey08(m): 5:29pm On Mar 13, 2021
nelmc:

The “Date” part on the form, was it date of birth or today’s date they require?

it’s your date of birth
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by FutureSenator: 6:50pm On Mar 13, 2021
Kharleed:

Personally, I believe there are only three things a VO needs an F-1 applicant to prove.
1. Strong Home Ties: This is a no-brainer. A Visa Officer needs to be assured that you will return to Nigeria and not be a burden after you graduate. Do you have family here? Do you have a wife/husband in Nigeria? Do you have kids? Are you currently working? Do you own a business? Is it your family/Spouse that is funding you? Do you have scholarship from a local company? Is it a government scholarship? At least, can you clearly articulate your plans after you graduate? Does the VO has a gut-feeling that you are genuine? Do you have history of past travel and returning to Nigeria as at when due? Do you have a research you are working on tied to Nigeria? Just answer any of these questions honestly in your mind. If you are planning to lie to the VO, don't trip: Be rest assured you are coming out of that cubicle with a rejection slip.

2. Proof of Studentship: The VO is trained to pick the wheat from the chaff, to separate genuine students from people who want to japa. (Sorry if you don't know the meaning of Japa cheesy ). Answer honestly in your mind: What do you know about your research/course-of-study? Are you clear on your proposed thesis? What do you know about your school? The city where your school is? Where are you going to stay when you get to the US? Why did you apply to the school? Why did you select the school? Do you have contacts in your department? Is the course related to your undergraduate degree? If not, why are you switching careers? Can you articulate responses to these passionately?

3. Funds: Who is paying for your trip to the US? People with scholarships/fellowships/assistantships/funding from first family (mother, father, siblings, spouse) usually have no problem with this point. But if someone else is funding you, I mean awon Uncle, Aunties, In-laws, companies gang, be ready to explain the motive. Someone cannot just part away with millions of naira just because they love you. Be ready to explain, what is your relationship with this entity? How long have you known each other? What is their motive for investing in you? Are you paying back? Is it a loan? If you got a partial funding, and another entity is covering the rest, you'd still explain. If you got tuition waiver, with no extra funding, you need to explain solidly how you plan to survive in the US.
If you have kids going with you, what is your educational plan for them? What is your medical plan? You must have sorted accommodation for at least a semester. You cannot be saying. You are not sure/act like you have not really prepared. So what's your plan?

In essence, be honest and be prepared. The VO must have rejected you earlier for not meeting one of those requirements. The embassy/consulate HAVE YOUR RECORDS and also access to DO A BACKGROUND CHECK on you. So with these few points of mine, I hope I have been able to , reflect on your last interview and answer honestly to yourself, has something changed? Do you have strong home ties now? Can you convince a dummy you are really a student? Do you genuinely have funding (have plans for funding) now?

Be it as it may, if God wants you to be in US, and you have worked diligently and honestly, and you have nothing to hide, your visa WILL be approved. The God factor is the most important factor. As the maxim goes: work like you have not prayed, PRAY like you have not worked, because in essence, it is not by your hard-work.

Whew! That was an epistle. My bad. I was a beneficiary of this thread (Part 15) and I look for opportunities to pay it forward. It's been a month in the US now and I must say, life is really good here. Back to my studies, Aluta Continua!

PS: Don't look for my moniker, I'm on ghostmode grin

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Flakkie1130(f): 8:33pm On Mar 13, 2021
Jukwasi:
Hello everyone! Please is it okay to go into a masters program without funding or assistantship? I was told by my coordinator that hourly student employment or work study employment may be an option. The total cost of the program is $26,766 annually. What's your take on this? Thanks
Yes, I don’t know what you mean by “okay” are you talking about the chances of getting a visa? What is your total COA? You will only per semester here. If you are able to pay for the first semester, you can always hustle around before the next semester commences. Some on-campus student employments might not even be enough for your upkeep. Some schools will promise you employment but upon arriving, it’s another story. If you can get employment offer first, then cool.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tulacious123: 9:07pm On Mar 13, 2021
I did
HollyMadison:
Who else got this mail from GSU?

Public finance FALL FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR MPA, MPP AND MA ECON APPLICANTS!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tulacious123: 9:12pm On Mar 13, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

What type of fellowship
See the letter below

Public finance FALL FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR MPA, MPP AND MA ECON APPLICANTS!I got this mail from Georgia State University(MSc Public policy) and they are requesting for a brief writing sample .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 9:18pm On Mar 13, 2021
Tulacious123:

Public finance FALL FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR MPA, MPP AND MA ECON APPLICANTS!I got this mail from Georgia State University(MSc Public policy) and they are requesting for a brief writing sample .
I don't have any idea about the subject
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by RemarkableMind: 11:37pm On Mar 13, 2021
fairheart:

I saw your email notification. I will reply all requests for mock today.

Boss, long time o. Please I have told my cousin to contact you for mock. Kindly assist if you are feee. I will DM you on WhatsApp later. Thanks for all you do��

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by nonyjess: 8:13am On Mar 14, 2021
Good morning,
Please, I have some questions.
My passport expires in September 2022 and I am supposed to start my program in August 2021 (if I successfully get the visa).
Is it advisable to proceed with processing my visa?
Is my passport valid for a 2-year program?
Is there a chance for someone to be granted a visa and the person can return next year and renew his/her passport?
Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 8:15am On Mar 14, 2021
nonyjess:
Good morning,
Please, I have some questions.
My passport expires in September 2022 and I am supposed to start my program in August 2021 (if I successfully get the visa).
Is it advisable to proceed with processing my visa?
Is my passport valid for a 2-year program?
Is there a chance for someone to be granted a visa and the person can return next year and renew his/her passport?
Thanks.
Yes to all your questions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by godguy: 10:14am On Mar 14, 2021
kastgeraldino:

Please do not discourage him from posting these information, it is of great help to most of us, it is necessary

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.