Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (806) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1644543 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (803) (804) (805) (806) (807) (808) (809) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mcilfero: 8:24am On Mar 16, 2022
ramon212:

Is GRE mandatory? I want to do a master in elect engineering. My bachelor is from same field.

No it's not
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by peejay03: 9:25am On Mar 16, 2022
@Moshkom and others, kindly advice on this.
peejay03:
Hello house,

Please what would you advice?

My sister in US will be graduating this year 2022 and she requested for an invitation letter from her school in order for me to attend her graduation. I applied for a visitors visa last year and got an appointment date for May 2022.
I also applied to schools in US. Luckily, I was offered admission in ASU for Fall 2022. (Any ASU student here, please let’s connect�)

My question is, should I proceed with the US visitors visa appointment in Nigeria, travel to US and change to a student Visa or Send a mail to the embassy to change my visa type to F1 for the same appointment date?

Kindly advice because my passport detail is already in the embassy’s record for an appointment and I doubt if I can apply for a student visa while still awaiting my appointment for a visitors visa.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 10:03am On Mar 16, 2022
peejay03:
Hello house,

Please what would you advice?

My sister in US will be graduating this year 2022 and she requested for an invitation letter from her school in order for me to attend her graduation. I applied for a visitors visa last year and got an appointment date for May 2022.
I also applied to schools in US. Luckily, I was offered admission in ASU for Fall 2022. (Any ASU student here, please let’s connect�)

My question is, should I proceed with the US visitors visa appointment in Nigeria, travel to US and change to a student Visa or Send a mail to the embassy to change my visa type to F1 for the same appointment date?

Kindly advice because my passport detail is already in the embassy’s record for an appointment and I doubt if I can apply for a student visa while still awaiting my appointment for a visitors visa.

Good day!

Omo! A lot of applications for and from you, for only USA. God when?! Lol.

Nice one. The best bet is going with F1 visa, because others are not really sure. Let’s put it in a way that you go for the visit and/or the invitation visa and you probably did not get it, now you would be left to settle for the F1. Meanwhile the records of those two would be in your profile already and during the F1 it might be against you, the VO would be like this one is desperate to enter USA, that he’s tried this and that; now coming for F1 to try again.

All story short, settle going with F1, CALL / EMAIL the embassy’s support system, they would easily change your cgi profile to F1 for you. It’s not something biggie, IF you paid 67,200 for the other profile (visit / invitation) because F1 is 67,200, IF NOT you would have to pay a new visa fee after they switch your profile for you.

Good you already have a date in May sef.

Goodluck Champ!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by DeevaB: 10:38am On Mar 16, 2022
Thank you so much for replying and for the advice. Since it is a win-win situation I will explore the option of using my personal funds.

Svelte98:
Hey, I don't know if anyone has answered you yet, so I hope this helps.

I'm actually in the same shoe as you (not with Virginia Tech though, mine is ETSU). I'm waiting on them to make GA decisions which will take place between April to June.
Personally, I'm hopeful that I'll be given an offer atleast by the second week of May so I can start working on my I-20 and visa application, since my program starts in August.

Here's what you can do; you can start processing your I-20 with your personal funds and see if you can secure a visa date.
If during the process, the GA funding is given to you, you can always print out the offer letter and go with it to your visa appointment and try and explain to the V.O when you're asked about funding.
Just my two cents.

Its a win-win situation.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaceyOpara(m): 10:39am On Mar 16, 2022
Tamad101:
Visa Transcript
My profile:
Second master’s degree
COA: $36,500
Scholarship: $8,000

1st Attempt – Lagos, (December 1- surge date) MTSU
2nd Attempt - Abuja (9th March) MTSU.

After my first delay, I was disappointed and this is because I’ve been to the US couple of times and had two kids in between in the US. However, the Lagos VO wasn’t even interested in my I20 but more about my kids and my sister who was supposed to be in the US at the time but was in Nigeria trying to renew her F1 visa.

Anyway to the transcript proper, (questions in no particular order)

VO: Have you been to the US before? I see you are going to MTSU
Me: yes
VO: how many times and what did you go for?
Me: thrice, holiday with family and other times to have my babies
VO: So you have 2 America Citizens? Any other children
Me: yes, 2 citizens and no other child
VO: I see you are going to MTSU. What course and why?
VO: IT project management. I choose the course because while I was considering a career change and looking for a degree to empower my transition and offer me new and better opportunities, it came top on the list.
VO: Tell your study plan?
Me: for the successful completion of my course, I’m required to complete 30 credit semester with 2 years. I’ll be taking courses like IT project risk & recovery, IT planning & implementation, IT project strategies for success, applied business analytics, big data analytics amongst others (she was nodding and actively listening).
VO: why did you pick MTSU?
Me: I picked MTSU over my other admits because my graduate coordinator assured I could cope despite not having an IT background and most especially because I got 23% off my COA.
VO: How did you get it (scholarship)?
Me: well my school has merit scholarship for international students which is dependent on your GPA evaluation. In my case, I had 3.64/4.0 hence why I got it.
VO: Where did you do your bachelors and course?
Me: I graduated from xxxx University here in Nigeria and studied Tourism management.
VO: So what did you do in the UK?
Me: Well I had a master’s degree there in 2013 and I have since returned back to Nigeria.
VO: (still nodding) So you don’t intend to work in US?
Me: Not at all.
VO: So where do you work?
Me: I work at a federal government instruction and I intend to transfer from there to Galaxy Backbone Limited to take up the role of an IT project manager upon return to Nigeria.
VO: So this will be your second master’s degree.
Me: Yes, it will.
VO: Are you married?
Me: yes, I am married
VO: Will your husband and be going with you?
Me: No he won’t.
VO: I see you have a sister in the US, where does she live and school.
Me: She schools at Campbellsville University. (she interrupted, what location is that?) I replied oh it’s in Kentucky.
VO: Oh I see you had an interview in Lagos.
Me: I had an interview but I couldn’t get my visa so I deferred from spring 2022 to fall 2022.
VO: Ok ….. (she typed and typed, erased somethings too).
VO: I’ll be recommending you for the visa, take this white paper, it will tell you how to pick up at the VI location. Also kindly go with your I20, you’ll be needing it at the POE as its very important.
Me: thank you, thank you, thank you very much (with smiles).
VO: Its ok….(she smiled).

Things to note……
1. Oh my God, I prayed ehen because I was disappointed in Lagos as it was also my birth month and I got such a news on the first day of the month.
2. I immediately paid another visa fee same day but didn’t check for a date until January 2022.
3. I initially picked April 7 only to get a mail from the embassy that my appointment had been moved from April 7 to March 9. I got the notice 5 days prior to my interview date.
4. In answering why I was refused a visa in my DS160, I explained my ties back home as the reason why I can’t be going for long (I figured she was reading through them).
5. No documents was requested.

Congratulations

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by habbyy03: 10:48am On Mar 16, 2022
Mcilfero:

No it's not

When did you apply please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Lizzy828: 12:26pm On Mar 16, 2022
macuwon:
PLEASE i need help on how to prepare, i got admission from houston community college for an associate degree for fall 2021, but i deferred the admission to summer 2022 and resumption is may 30th. No funding. My uncle in the US is my sole sponsor. My fear is in his account statement. the SOA i submitted to the school during application was around august last year. The school didn't request for a recent SOA as i deferred but i do not know if the visa officer would need a recent one or stick to the one i submitted to the school. thanks

Pls look for another school, a community college is a red flag at the embassy. I am talking from experience

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Svelte98(f): 12:28pm On Mar 16, 2022
DeevaB:
Thank you so much for replying and for the advice. Since it is a win-win situation I will explore the option of using my personal funds.

You're welcome.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by peejay03: 1:06pm On Mar 16, 2022
Thank so much for this @Moshkom. I initially paid 67,200 for the B1/B2 visa fee so it might not be necessary to pay another for the F1. If in case I need to, I’ll have no choice than to pay.

Also, I have a valid UK visitors visa, do you think it will be of support in my application after I change to F1? Will I need to fill another DS 160 for the F1 visa?

Moshkom:

Good day!

Omo! A lot of applications for and from you, for only USA. God when?! Lol.

Nice one. The best bet is going with F1 visa, because others are not really sure. Let’s put it in a way that you go for the visit and/or the invitation visa and you probably did not get it, now you would be left to settle for the F1. Meanwhile the records of those two would be in your profile already and during the F1 it might be against you, the VO would be like this one is desperate to enter USA, that he’s tried this and that; now coming for F1 to try again.

All story short, settle going with F1, CALL / EMAIL the embassy’s support system, they would easily change your cgi profile to F1 for you. It’s not something biggie, IF you paid 67,200 for the other profile (visit / invitation) because F1 is 67,200, IF NOT you would have to pay a new visa fee after they switch your profile for you.

Good you already have a date in May sef.

Goodluck Champ!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by freezy4me: 1:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
arizona20:
Civil engineering with concentration on construction engineering and management

Are you proceeding with your admission? If yes let's connect please cos I got admitted for same course
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by freezy4me: 1:15pm On Mar 16, 2022
Anyone going to Michigan Tech for fall 22 or someone who is already in MTU?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 1:18pm On Mar 16, 2022
peejay03:
Thank so much for this @Moshkom. I initially paid 67,200 for the B1/B2 visa fee so it might not be necessary to pay another for the F1. If in case I need to, I’ll have no choice than to pay.

Also, I have a valid UK visitors visa, do you think it will be of support in my application after I change to F1? Will I need to fill another DS 160 for the F1 visa?

Good. You won’t be ask to pay new fee then.

UK and Yankee have zero database correlation, so I don’t think anything UK should affect you here. You might just be ask “Have you travelled out before?” During your F1 visa Interview and when filling your ds160. which you can now chip in your UK matter.

Ofc, you would need to fill in a new ds160. A new one! And you would have to update your new Ds160 application/confirmation ID on your cgi portal after the switch to F1 profile.

Don’t rush to fill your ds160 (no added advantage doing that), make sure you settled everything you need to do at your end before taking your time to fill and package your ds160 for your F1 waka, you that even have ‘multiple profile(s)’ like this. Lol

Luck!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by decorum003(m): 1:58pm On Mar 16, 2022
Hi thanks to this tread I just received my i-20 letter for NEU which my financial statement was based on LOAN from MPower Finance.
I really need help with some fresh questions
After paying SEVIS fee and visa fee
I would like to have some befitting answers to the possible questions from the VO
Questions like
*How do you intend to repay the Loan*
And I want to add this have never been outside the country before

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HerrFrank(m): 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
energixx:
Please I need advise

I got a PhD in Germany which comes with several gadgets (laptop, desktop, phone, flight coverage, residency option etc) and huge salary. At the same time, I got a PhD offer in the USA with a research assistantship.
The salary in Germany is 1.8 times the one in the USA
USA PhD will take me 5yrs to complete while Germany will take me 3yrs
The course from German directly aligns with my interest while I'm gonna be picking up another field in the USA, all in Engineering.

Which one will you advise me to go for?

I live in Germany. Bro, you can not do that phD in 3 years. Even the average masters degree is 2.5 years.

In all aspects but one, the phD in Germany would do you better. The probability of getting a suitable job after your phD is less than 1/2.

#gurus_in_the_house
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Zeeefold: 2:42pm On Mar 16, 2022
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022
COA: $71,850
Funding: $30,000
Deficit: 41,850

VO: You are going for an LL.M at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
ME: That's correct

VO: What is your concentration?
ME: Regulation, Sustainability and Compliance Law

VO: Where do you work?
ME: I work at ***** as a Company Secretary. We offer compliance and Legal services to different client companies.

VO: What are you going to do upon your return?
ME: I am going to continue at my present place of work and thereafter apply for better opportunities in any of the big four accounting firms in Nigeria. I would also like to open my own compliance and legal firm in the nearest future.

VO: Who is your sponsor?
ME: My uncle ***** he has been my guardian since i was 3. He owns an electrical cable and wire manufacturing company that has been in existence for the past 44 years and has over 50 staffs in his employment. He also owns a LPG distribution company.

VO: Makes a move to give me the white paper. Your start date is August 1st?
ME: Yes, but my school has notified me of an introductory course commencing in July.

VO: But your start date is August 1st.
ME: Yes

VO: I cannot issue your visa now as it is more than 120 days to your start date. (Gives me the yellow slip) Bring this along with your passport and I-20 any date from 1st of April. You don't have to come in person, you can send it through DHL.
ME: Alright, Thank You.

Thanks to God for his kindness and grace
All these happened in less than 2 minutes.

Tips
1. Fill your DS160 yourself, be as detailed as possible
2. Get your story straight, if your story doesn't sound believable to you, you won't be able to convince the VO.
3. Watch you-tube videos from ARGO VISA, this really helped a lot.
4. Lastly, PRAY.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Canada2021: 3:03pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022

ME: I work at ***** as a Company Secretary. We offer compliance and Legal services to different client companies.

ME: I am going to continue at my present place of work and thereafter apply for better opportunities in any of the big four accounting firms in Nigeria. I would also like to open my own compliance and legal firm in the nearest future.

ME: My uncle ***** he has been my guardian since i was 3. He owns an electrical cable and wire manufacturing company that has been in existence for the past 44 years and has over 50 staffs in his employment. He also owns a LPG distribution company.

ME: Yes, but my school has notified me of an introductory course commencing in July.

VO: I cannot issue your visa now as it is more than 120 days to your start date. (Gives me the yellow slip) Bring this along with your passport and I-20 any date from 1st of April. You don't have to come in person, you can send it through DHL.

Tips
2. Get your story straight, if your story doesn't sound believable to you, you won't be able to convince the VO.
4. Lastly, PRAY.
congratulations to my learned colleague.. I tap into your grace

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BunmiBie: 3:13pm On Mar 16, 2022

Tips
4. Lastly, PRAY.
[/quote]

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by alliyuf(f): 3:22pm On Mar 16, 2022
OlamideTosyn:

Have you gotten? If no, what's your email, so I can send the few samples I have?
Please I need the sample. alliyuf@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 3:43pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022

Tips
4. Lastly, PRAY.

Congratulations, big one!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Progress100: 4:10pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022

Tips
4. Lastly, PRAY.

Congratulations �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ijchichi5190: 4:17pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022

Tips
4. Lastly, PRAY.

Woa ,congratulations to you.

Prayers works.
Argo visa on YouTube helps alot also.
I'm next in line

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by angel4sure: 5:01pm On Mar 16, 2022
Good day everyone. Pls am new here. Pls am interested in studying masters in renewable energy in the US. Pls are there schools offering full funding for Masters program there. If there are, can I get a list or link to the schools. Thank you for your prompt response.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Saokelarin6942: 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022

Tips
4. Lastly, PRAY.

Congratulations [color=#990000][/color]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Princessemily: 6:42pm On Mar 16, 2022
Cheekybae:
Congratulations!!!! Please how/when were you able to get an appointment date?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Princessemily: 6:44pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022

Tips
4. Lastly, PRAY.
congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by GAPPLE: 6:50pm On Mar 16, 2022
BunmiBie:

4. Lastly, PRAY.

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AdebolaNG: 7:01pm On Mar 16, 2022
You might not get an approval mail but check your appointment page it will show if it was approved.

Taryourbukhz:
[color=#990000][/color]
Very important; I am new here. I need someone to guide me on what to do. I have been processing my VISA application since last month. I am supposed to resume school by March 27. When I applied for my visa appointment, the only date available in 2022 was November so I chose it and immediately applied for an emergency appointment date. It’s been over three weeks and the embassy hasn’t mailed me to know if the emergency was approved or denied. I am so confused right now. I have mailed them to no avail.
Somebody should help.
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mightymuy: 7:18pm On Mar 16, 2022
Please am in need of it also. Kindly send to my email: lummyjames@gmail.com
OlamideTosyn:

Have you gotten? If no, what's your email, so I can send the few samples I have?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by twoangel: 7:27pm On Mar 16, 2022
Please is there anyone here or you know someone who got a F2 VISA recently (within the last 2 weeks)?
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (803) (804) (805) (806) (807) (808) (809) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.