Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? (6150 Views)

Poll: Which do u prefer???

Windows: 50% (13 votes)
Mac: 30% (8 votes)
(K)(X)(EDU) Ubuntu: 19% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / "you May Be A Victim Of Software Counterfeiting. This Copy Of Windows Did Not Pa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 6:23pm On Jul 02, 2007
Every now & then, I'm  always caught up with the issue of having  to format my system for different reasons such as: the popularly known hott,  ViRuS win32/Brontok.A has caught up with me or somehow, my OS refuses to boot,
Thinking Microsoft will bring an end to this, they came up with the disappointing Vista Operating system. I have Ubuntu (Linux) 'n' I think You shuld give it a try if your xperiencin similar problem  since they are virus free and very reliable, Or rather use Macintosh wink
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by hayprof(m): 7:53pm On Jul 02, 2007
@topic, NOPE.
@U, nomatter how difficult d Windows OS is, some pple use it wit no Virus complain,
Thank God u knw there is linx, go ahead!
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by nazzyon(m): 12:33am On Jul 03, 2007
Ralvy:

Thinking Microoft will bring an end to this, they came up with the dissapointing Vista OS. I'm about to try Ubuntu (linux), or Macintosh since they are virus free and very relaibale,

Too bad no operating software is Virus and Spyware free. It is only when an Anti virus detects a Virus that is when you will know that you will know.

Some Viruses don't have a visible effects on the OS.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2007
Too bad no operating software is Virus and Spyware free. It is only when an Anti virus detects a Virus that is when you will know that you will know.

@u; ofcourse, Linux is free of Trojans u u 4 ril??
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by texazzpete(m): 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2007
Ralvy:

Everynow & then, I'm always caught up with the issue of having to format my system for different reasons such as: the popularly known hott, ViRuS Ronto Bronto or somehow, my OS refuses to boot,
Thinking Microoft will bring an end to this, they came up with the dissapointing Vista OS. I'm about to try Ubuntu (linux), or Macintosh since they are virus free and very relaibale,

I'm sure M$ will be saying good riddance to you, when you can't even be arsed to install a decent antivirus program. Sure, there are millions of viruses out there, but there are miullions of users who don't even get viruses.

I wonder how people who can't be arsed to scan flash drives for viruses before running them will manage with the technical aspects of linux. go figure
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Harlex(m): 3:21am On Jul 17, 2007
i don't think i can be tired of windows, for linux, not an option
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:48am On Jul 17, 2007
well i use linux and ubuntu for that matter and so far its been fun if you want to switch to ubuntu i'll suggest you ask bigbrovar for a copy of the dvd
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by BlackRevo: 9:51am On Jul 17, 2007
I think not everyone experiences virus problem, i will have to say it depends on the sites you visit like me when i visit some sites to download illegal stuffs i do get virus but i have anti virus protection that helps me to clean those stuff. Also windows is majorly targeted because it is the most widely used operation system and not that  the secuirity in the others is better than it but if the same attacks are targeted to this other operating systems we will not be saying all this. Just get a good anti virus and anti spyware programme with a good firewall software and be careful on the sites you visit on the net. but you can actually use both linux and windows on the same pc.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Sacarsity(m): 10:12am On Jul 17, 2007
Ralvy:

Every now & then, I'm always caught up with the issue of having to format my system for different reasons such as: the popularly known hott, ViRuS Ronto Bronto or somehow, my OS refuses to boot,

Thinking Microsoft will bring an end to this, they came up with the disappointing Vista OS. I'm about to try Ubuntu (Linux), or Macintosh since they are virus free and very reliable,

Why do you complain about windows when u don't have a geniune copy. You should expect nothing more than u 've got. As such, am sure u don't even have a good antivirus. Try and get a powerful antivirus like AVG or Avira-Antivirus or Avast, and don't forget to frequently download the update from the internet. Don't forget to manage your windows properly and frequenly formatting the hard drive will reduce drastically it effeciency.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 10:33am On Jul 17, 2007
Why do you complain about windows when u don't have a geniune copy. You should expect nothing more than u 've got. As such, am sure u don't even have a good antivirus. Try and get a powerful antivirus like AVG or Avira-Antivirus or Avast, and don't forget to frequently download the update from the internet. Don't forget to manage your windows properly and frequenly formatting the hard drive will reduce drastically it effeciency.

I don't know whether u have seen my computer that your already assuming my copy of windows not to be genuine. I use the HP cd that came with my laptop and I use Norton Internet Security 2007 which I updated yesterday. I dual boot because I have Windows Vista and Windows XP on my hard disk. so ask

Please if anyone has any other virus protection, let me know. the thing is that my hard disk is full, Thnx in advance anyway. My System spec/ is as follows

HP ADVENT DUO Centrino
2GB ram
200GB HDD
1.98GHZ
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:49am On Jul 17, 2007
Avast is free now just go to their page download and register free for your key
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Sacarsity(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2007
The Norton internet security that comes with the Hp system CDs is free for trial for about 60days, after which you are expected to get the upgrade. Therefore, it's beter you get AVG or Avast. Both are good but avg requires frequent update from their website to function effectively. After installation you can schedule a daily full system scan at a specific time or schedule authomatic system scan when your computer starts for the first time in a day.
Good Luck
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by FBS: 3:39pm On Jul 17, 2007
well, i think most people use win os because of its simplicity, linux needs lots of tweaking. I spent weeks tweaking mine (ubuntu) but i'm glad it worked plus it has tons of free software that can compete with Microsoft. plus you actually build your own OS, how amazing, and its free, the day wey Bill gates will storm and sue ppl is coming soon becos most win os out there are pirated.

but then i feel (X)(K)ubuntu and other desktops distributions of linux still have a long way to go, MS and Bill gates will not want to give up.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by shockreaction(m): 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2007
No.

And Windows Vista is neat.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by texazzpete(m): 5:37pm On Jul 17, 2007
My windows OS (Xp) works 99.99% of the time. Most people complaining about being 'sick and tired' of windows know that they can easily live with the 0.01% uncertainty, but they just like to whine about something.
Like i said before, i fail to see the logic behind people complaining about installing an MS security update, yet they eagerly update linux kernels and spend hours tweaking drivers and scripting just to get something to work.
There are genuine reasons for switching to Linux, if you want to save money and your system is underpowered. But what galls me is the majority of those naijans bashing Windows have never paid a dime to MS in their lives. Hell, some people can even quote the Xp serial number off head grin

Show some respect for a decent (and at times stellar) OS that we've all grown to love.

PS: You cannot be running a frequently updated version of Norton 2007 and still catch Rontokbro. I still feel you weren't updating your antivirus frquently. either that of you got careless.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Gamine(f): 5:39pm On Jul 17, 2007
i tell u all

when u go Mac
u cant go Back1!!

Forget Windows!!!
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 5:52pm On Jul 17, 2007
Hell, some people can even quote the Xp serial number off head.  embarassed

That's real crazy man.

PS: You cannot be running a frequently updated version of Norton 2007 and still catch Rontokbro. I still feel you weren't updating your antivirus frquently. either that of you got careless.

Developers of RontoBrontok worm have a web based application that is dedicated to constantly updating the worn. Rontobrontok was formely called Brontok, Rontobrontok came in, rontoronbron/win.32 came after and now we are dealing with win32/zjomb - the latest from the developers, If u doubt that this viruses are not the same - browse through your registry editor and crosschek the HEX codes  for the virus, by tracing it from your C:\windo, brontok.A,  I have been dealing with trojans, woms for years, bh brontok is crazy. Some of the so called brontok washers are updates for the viruses in the infected computer.
If u doubt that I don't update my Antivirus, I can proove it tu u wit a screenshot.
Browse through Google en read articles my man.

Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 6:04pm On Jul 17, 2007
i tell u all

when u go Mac
u can't go Back1!!

Forget Windows!!!

So pls tell us, what 're u guys enjoying on mac that anybody that uses falls greatly inlove with the OS. My problem is that mac doesnt have a CD that u can use tu install it on computers like (k),(x),(edu) Ubuntu. It has tu be a mac system. I heard they were coming up with one soon. We are yet tu see, 
But windows XP is cool if not for the viruses. Take a look at this screen shot

Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by texazzpete(m): 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2007
@Ralvy
And your point is? You made yourself vulnerable to RontokBro either by visiting the wrong sites, or accepting infected media into your PC. usually the AntiVirus guys are the first to know of new updates to a virus (or new viruses) and they respond speedily. Try and update your virus definitions weekly. it could be done automatically as i'm sure you know.

Norton Internet security 2007 has an inbuilt phishing filter to help you detect fake /spoof sites. Use it.

I appreciate your advice for me to keep aimlessly searching google and reading up random topics. However, if you had been following your advice you'd find out that contrary to your earlier claims, W32/Brontok o it's derivatives will not prevent your OS from booting. and it isn't a trojan; it's a worm.

Anyone who downloads and runs so-called 'brontok washers' from dodgy sites need to have their head examined.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 6:39pm On Jul 17, 2007
Infact eh, I don tire, make wuna talk
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by MrInfo1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 17, 2007
My system is affected by dat virus deskstop eatever now
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by neeyee(m): 8:03pm On Jul 17, 2007
Windows is still the best O/S to me. I think U should try XP Unlimited, it's virus free.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by candylips(m): 9:31pm On Jul 17, 2007
Has anyone had any problems with the computer hanging when it goes to sleep. I just got a laptop with Windows Vista Pre-Installed and i am battling with this problem right now
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:10am On Jul 18, 2007
i can't help laughing imagine some people really need to get examined as someone suggested. its just too funny abeg i dey go sleep. Note that ubuntu kubuntu x ubuntu edubuntu are all the same the only difference is the desktop environment and this you can install easily through the synaptics i.e kde gnome xfce
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Harlex(m): 4:40am On Jul 18, 2007
no !!!!!!!!!
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by alleno: 11:04am On Jul 18, 2007
You have such a powerful system and you are complaining about microsoft and viruses, i think you should be ashamed of having so much power and no authority, common virus.
Its like Hulk Hogan complaining about strong chicken bone,

But less you misunderstand me, i feel your pain. But in all the gist"s" above, Microsoft cannot be blamed for nothing. If people are complaining, they just want to make noise,
Microsoft Certifications have increased your salary, Microsoft brought/GAVE you all the knowledge you have about computers now, (just imagine, a scenario where we all started with Linux and others, half the computer gurus you have now will not be anywhere, and these Linux people, where was your linux initially written from, on a linux machine abi, Streams calling the Ocean IDLE).

, 'll call it quits here before you guys think i am related, (though i'll love to be)
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2007
Windows is still the best O/S to me. I think You should try XP Unlimited, it's virus free.

My Dear, Windows XP Unlimited is NOT virus free, 2; Windows Unlimited is not a new OS on its own by microsoft, it is the same Windows XP Professional SP.2 with some additional addins done by Mr. X - A famous Computer freak [www.windowsxlive.net] for details. Don't you see something that when Windows XP Unlimited is loading, that is on the boot skin page - U see sth like miko in love ("mikoinlove@hotmail.com"wink thats the creators -mail add, with that - u shuld know that Windows Xp Unlimited was not signed by Microsoft.
SAFE
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2007
Note that ubuntu kubuntu x ubuntu edubuntu are all the same the only difference is the desktop environment and this you can install easily through the synaptics i.e kde gnome xfce

Did I or any1 say (X)(K)(edu) Ubuntu are nt the same grin
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:24pm On Jul 18, 2007
I wasn't refering to you or anyone o. I was just trying to shed light on the name issue o. Some people don't know the difference , i have friends like that who were using Ubuntu and reformated to install kubuntu because they didn't know they could have both.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by africanboy(m): 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2007
i am surprised people still have this argument. as far as i am concerned, we all choose what helps up sleep at night.

i dual boot windows xp and ubuntu 7.04. i spend more time in windows and i have not had a virus problem in years.

for all those arguing for linux, have you played electronic arts' godfather on linux without using a WINE layer? how about other games that I am so much in love with. ok, does dreamweaver run on linux? (last time i checked and i may be wrong - NO). i have no problem with command lines or having to tweak applications for them to run, but in my business - time is money. usually the first to the market wins the market.

one of my experiences with linux: i have a usb-serial dongle which i need to connect to my phone for my internet access. the driver is only available for windows, yet to get software for linux i have to connect to the internet. sorry, too much bother. i switch back to windows.

windows xp, not vista cause vista sucks!

linux distros are good because i have the 3 *buntu flavors, fedora core 6, knoppix and DSL, BUT like i said windows serves me better for now.

------------------------------------
i will ignore the argument for mac until i can install it on my machine. until then, its like offering me a hummer engine for my SLK.

------------------------------------
as at now, i am comfortable with windows
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by africanboy(m): 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2007
Ralvy:

So please tell us, what 're u guys enjoying on mac that anybody that uses falls greatly inlove with the OS. My problem is that mac doesnt have a CD that u can use tu install it on computers like (k),(x),(edu) Ubuntu. It has tu be a mac system. I heard they were coming up with one soon. We are yet tu see,
But windows XP is cool if not for the viruses. Take a look at this screen shot

i guess you should not forget to indicate that you have installed VTP7 on your system. hope you have run an anti-spyware after that installtion because VTP7 is adware supported. check the terms.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:39pm On Jul 18, 2007
africanboy who said dreamweaver doesn't run on linux ? i use linux and i have been running flash and dreamweaver on ubuntu linux 6.10 and i haven't had a problem ever since. grin
Do you know why there are few commercial games and applications for linux ? Its because most of the software companies are one way or the other tied to microsoft and they dear not support a different platform or else they'll get their a** sued.
And also the population of linux users were not that much but with the increasing size of linux users, expect to see more commercial titles for it. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UK Used Elitebook Folio 9470 And 9480 Core I5 / Zinox Computers Address / UK Used thinkpad Lenovo T440s core i7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.