Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? (6148 Views)

Poll: Which do u prefer???

Windows: 50% (13 votes)
Mac: 30% (8 votes)
(K)(X)(EDU) Ubuntu: 19% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / "you May Be A Victim Of Software Counterfeiting. This Copy Of Windows Did Not Pa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by bigrovar(m): 9:10pm On May 20, 2009
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsCpIeLLoT8[/flash]
The Future of Netbook is Moblin
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by flyuche(m): 9:41pm On May 20, 2009
something i find very annoying with windows is having to restart my system after some software installations, windows updates or even a programs update.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by blackweaver(m): 9:48pm On May 20, 2009
personally i'm a linux guy -at least at home but the truth is windows still
rules the roost.
Recently i downloaded and installed windows 7; now that's a worthy
successor to XP  i must confess that of recent i've been using it more than
my favorite linux oses (but i'll return soon - it's just the new os excitement)
However the hardware requirements are still relatively high -
16gb harddisk for installation (before anybody makes noise about the fact that
16gb is not much i'll have you know that i have up to 8 linux distos, freebsd and opensolaris
on my pc so you have and i likekeeping backups f installation files on my hard disk too)
with 1.5gb ram memory isn't much of an issue; my biggest problem is probably
my 1.8ghz CELERON processor (at this time a processor upgrade will mean a
motherboard upgrade and a change in ram) all in all it's ok
by the way for those of you still harping about vista, i say stop harping about
a dead os (ok an os not going anywhere) everybody agrees that vista is MS greatest
flop since WinME and i hear that win7 offiicial release will come out thiis year
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 20, 2009
@ esquire,

i honestly cannot make head or tail of what you posted, in particular your reference to my ' chickening out'

why don't you answer my questions? must bigbrovar be the only linux advocate on NL who can get his points across?  undecided

simple question, what popular CAD programs run on linux ? and please don't give me the crap you did in the past about software that can give autocad a run for its money. there are only two  commercial cad/3d applications i have come across that run on both linux and vista nvidia gelato, and varicad. yes, i know freeware apps are supposed to be the bomb etal, but most of the freeware word processors i have come across are feature poor compared to the commercial versions as a simple example

Plus i can make my system look like a mac with the same sound scheme, boot screen, login screen and with variety of dock to choose from but its not worth the trouble though. This is just to show the flexibility of linux

duh. windows users can do the same with  dock x, and logonvista.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by blackweaver(m): 10:44pm On May 20, 2009
@flyuche also having to update antivirus every other day;
also annoying that there are so many things i can't do without using the mouse;
now vista has made it even worse; before with XP i could shutdown with keyboard,
just press 'Win' then 'u' then 'u' again, now you have to use the mouse; in linux all it takes is
the halt command (provided you have root access)
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 12:45am On May 21, 2009
@oyb
What is u dont understand cos the last time i checked my post was written in english plus we are not even talking of applications packages here its about stability and vunerabilty of OS undecided angry

well here we go again bout this your autocad stuff undecided

Why am saying get linux is the fact that i makes you have balanced veiw of both oses and you'll not be saying some things wich are pure fuds.
You use linux or u dont use it is not my headache it just makes us to have one less windows fanboy to deal with in the house.

Open office is good word processor and its what i use everyday and it does the job and we also have abiword which is extremely lightweight so why should i miss MScrap.

@oyb
duh. windows users can do the same with dock x, and logonvista.

With third party application yes, which may further cripple the performance of a windows system with low ram eg 1gb cos not everybody has thekind of hardware you do and when i say flexibilty can you make ur system to be like gnome, kde,enlightment etc hell no, this feat i dont even need to edit my registry before theming if i have one. i can make my system to be like what i like anytime not what some corporation want me to have.

thank God you did not use abusive language on me this time around smiley smiley
Cheerio
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 1:04am On May 21, 2009
My system spec

Processor: Amd turionx2 64 2.0ghz ( but i use 32bit OS same problem oyb complained on windows cos most device driver is written for 32bit but of course you ccan make it work on linux i.e using 32bit device driver on 64bit but i decided not to go down that road)

Ram: 3gb ddr2 (too much on linux but thats what i got with the system. 1gb will do)

Vga: Nvidia geforce go 7150 256mb video memory

200gb now am with 100gb cos it crashed as got spoilt totally am not donewith repairing it cos the drive is now spinning will finish it later cos i have some important documents i gotta pull out.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 6:03am On May 21, 2009
@ esquire,

wonderful.

What is u dont understand cos the last time i checked my post was written in english plus we are not even talking of applications packages here its about stability and vunerabilty of OS

we are talking about the whole nine yards. what good is the most stable ,protected , hardened OS if i cannot get my work done with it?

s stationary car in a garage is much safer , and more stable than a moving car on an expressway, but it is serving absolutely no purpose and no one is getting anything done with it. what good is that.

hey, our computers rae the most stable, they are hack proof, crash proof . . .
great! so i can make movies using maya and 3ds max, play fear 2 and not have to worry about system crashes
er. . .no. . .they don't run on linux. . .
okay, so what runs on linux? . . .

Open office is good word processor and its what i use everyday and it does the job and we also have abiword which is extremely lightweight so why should i miss MScrap.

you are highlighting the exact issue i am referring to. the other day, i was out of town with a pc without word installed on it. i installed abi2word, and using it was an exercise in annoyance. the application is feature dead. i could do almost nothing with it.

as to customization, it more a matter of personal interest/choice

there are third party themes for windows you can get on deviant art,

i'm using a really beautiful longhorn shellstyle for my win 7 as we speak
you can tweak the appearance of all your icons either vis the registry or third party applications

there was a thread i started the other day demonstrating how i have hacked/tweaked my explorer background context menu using registry entires and 3rd party tools.

200gb now am with 100gb cos it crashed as got spoilt totally am not donewith repairing it cos the drive is now spinning will finish it later cos i have some important documents i gotta pull out.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You use linux or u dont use it is not my headache it just makes us to have one less windows fanboy to deal with in the house.

funny coming from a linux fanboy , its ok to cheer the wonders of lnux, but windows users must keep silent?  undecided

but i use 32bit OS same problem oyb complained on windows cos most device driver is written for 32bit but of course you ccan make it work on linux i.e using 32bit device driver on 64bit but i decided not to go down that road)

i was not talking about device drivers. i was talking about application support etal. Eg vba is not natively supported in 64 bitwindows. 32 bit apps that do not have 64 bit versions run in some sort of virtualized mode that slows them down. that is why i ma keeping away from 64 bit windows. most drivers issues have been sorted out, going by blogs etal
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by swift1: 10:30am On May 21, 2009
I currently use windows vista on my laptop, Mac OS X on my desktop, with Ubuntu installed on it. In my own opinion, Mac OS is still the best of the three.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by bigrovar(m): 1:30pm On May 21, 2009
@oyb my advise for you is this: Use what you are comfortable with and what works for you. if you are ok and happy with windows by all means you it. I dont believe in forcing people to use linux doing that will always back fire, when you need linux you will know it and you will seek it out. that is the culture of Free and open source software we don't preach we mention and that is why you will never see any fancy linux advert in your TV screen anytime soon. the community is focused on development and improvement.

we are talking about the whole nine yards. what good is the most stable ,protected , hardened OS if i cannot get my work done with it?

s stationary car in a garage is much safer , and more stable than a moving car on an expressway, but it is serving absolutely no purpose and no one is getting anything done with it. what good is that.

hey, our computers rae the most stable, they are hack proof, crash proof . . .
great! so i can make movies using maya and 3ds max, play fear 2 and not have to worry about system crashes
er. . .no. . .they don't run on linux. . .
okay, so what runs on linux? . . .
You have zero knowledge of linux and when you speak it shows so just use your windows which you seem to know to well and get on with your life. There is no point highlighting the virtue and advantages of linux to you, it would seem like greek because its a world you have no idea about, its an unknown. so lets keep things that way.

Insert Quote
personally i'm a linux guy -at least at home but the truth is windows still
rules the roost.
Recently i downloaded and installed windows 7; now that's a worthy
successor to XP i must confess that of recent i've been using it more than
my favorite linux oses (but i'll return soon - it's just the new os excitement)
However the hardware requirements are still relatively high -
16gb harddisk for installation (before anybody makes noise about the fact that
16gb is not much i'll have you know that i have up to 8 linux distos, freebsd and opensolaris
on my pc so you have and i likekeeping backups f installation files on my hard disk too)
with 1.5gb ram memory isn't much of an issue; my biggest problem is probably
my 1.8ghz CELERON processor (at this time a processor upgrade will mean a
motherboard upgrade and a change in ram) all in all it's ok
by the way for those of you still harping about vista, i say stop harping about
a dead os (ok an os not going anywhere) everybody agrees that vista is MS greatest
flop since WinME and i hear that win7 offiicial release will come out thiis year
Posted on: Yesterday at 09:41:13 PM

I have heard lots of good stuff about windows 7, seem MS finally got it right with that one, anyway i am bothered little about it. because for me it doesnt change anything. The One reason i use linux is FREEDOM. its gives me complete control over my computer, there is no DRM, EULA, no need to crack anything, i dont have to feel like am breaking the law just because am tweaking my PC, i own my PC in every sense of the world, That is one thing that no windows can ever give me. and if you are someone you careless about this things then Linux is definitely not for you. Linux is more than just an OS its a culture,

also collaboration: the development of linux is done is an open and participatory atmosphere , you can have a say in how your OS/Software is developed. you get to interact with the developer on how to make a software better, everything is done in the open, i cant get that with windows or any proprietary software ,

so even though my laptop can last for weeks without me having to reboot , and its just as fast as day one, and i can format and reinstall my OS and still have all my files and user settings including my wall paper and browser bookmarks intact in the new OS because i my Home directory is mounted on a separate partition
even though i can tweak my OS to my taste without feeling am breaking the law, and i can install any tool i need from a central package manager with the click of a button, even though my system as some of the best virtual effect of any OS, and runs as fast a super computer even though i use just 30% of my system resources.

all this means nothing if am not running a free and open source software, if you care less about software freedom then Linux is not for you and you are better off with windows.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 21, 2009
so even though my laptop can last for weeks without me having to reboot , and its just as fast as day one, and i can format and reinstall my OS and still have all my files and user settings including my wall paper and browser bookmarks intact in the new OS because i my Home directory is mounted on a separate partition

now thats the sort of thing i'm talking about. that is a clear advantage. am looking at reinsatlling win 7 this weekend - my install of MS office 2010 preview updated my VBE.dll to a version that my autocad does not work with, so my autocad vba is broken sad. (one of those odd things, if i had installed it before autocad the problem would not have arisen, at least it didn't in my VM) anyway, i have my own ways of retaining my settings, basically copy my user/appdata folder and replace, and most of my settings are intact. my files are intact because i have created sepearte partitions for my files, downloads, music, etc.

You have zero knowledge of linux and when you speak it shows so just use your windows which you seem to know to well and get on with your life. There is no point highlighting the virtue and advantages of linux to you, it would seem like greek because its a world you have no idea about, its an unknown. so lets keep things that way.

why does using linux breed such arrogance ? undecided smiley or is it the admin in you talking

if you care less about software freedom then Linux is not for you and you are better off with windows.

exactly to each his own, but that won't stop y'all from coming into windows threads to spread the gospel of the penguin
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:52pm On May 21, 2009
aiye shin lo linux ni? cry
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 4:28pm On May 21, 2009
@all windows users including their brother oyb
I still repeat cos am not a man of much word and i dont rely on bloggers.
i cannot be bothered if you use linux or not even torvald care less.

I use linux and it works for me where windows falters even the cafes that i managed have almost migrated their server to linux and the results are obvious not down time and with little or no interference (set and go) having to restart and virus rigmarole, stability high nos of uptime etc with no cost and have some linux workstations among them etc.

enjoy your crap that tells you to restart at any slightest thing even after reconizing and installing a flash drive. and that you'll have the hardware of a supercomputer for you to have optimum performance which can cause you to break your bank if ever you have one, the list is endless. Truth be told its just of the piracy thats triving in Nigeria do you thing average nigerian can afford windows and addon to bring it to their desired level?

where oyb is busy flaring up at any small point made against windows it amazes me how you protect windows with so much zeal.

If anybody is a fan boy its you oyb because the zeal with which you defend windows if you divert it into solving some of numerous windows problem all most filling to the brim of this computer section but i must confess you've solve few problems in the past but try to channel some of your energy in to helping other people.
And please dont insult me or else i'll enter my computer and come fight you over there grin cheesy wink

Am a bit techie so i can work on anything i use reading meters, soldering iron and repair computer motherboards, ups etc. 200gb was what came with my system it crashed so i bougth 100gb as a replacement and am having some important data which i'll like to pull outof it. I actually changed it read and write head, i have done it bout four time and it has actually worked for me to salvage some thing from the drive.

ThiefOfHearts:

aiye shin lo linux ni? cry

Wetin this one mean ooo arabinrin

@Big brovar
I still dey put my house together oo concerning the abuja stuff
will go to post office tommorrow to collect me jaunty will paste me latest screenshot when am done cos this mint will be going tommorrow. Peace to y'all
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by bigrovar(m): 4:52pm On May 21, 2009
why does using linux breed such arrogance ? Undecided Smiley or is it the admin in you talking
haba , i wasnt being arrogant my brother , i was just saying the honest truth, if you ask me what are the cool things about linux, and i start ranting about , kernel mode setting, ext4 filesystem, hotplugging for x.org, better gnome notification , gnome-do, network manager 0.7, empathy, devicekit, i can go on and on , you wont understand what am saying unless you eat and breath linux. its just like you telling me the essential features of autocad , it would mean nothing to me ,
in same light it would be of no use preaching the virtue of linux to you without confusing you with things you have no idea about (which is not an insult no body knows everything you know enough to help you get by)
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by bigrovar(m): 4:53pm On May 21, 2009
@esquire no shaking my brother

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Acer Aspire E5 4GB Ram 1TB 15.6 For Sale!!! 60k !!!SOLD!!! / UK Used thinkpad Lenovo T440s core i7 / UK Used Elitebook Folio 9470 And 9480 Core I5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.