Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,460 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence (23289 Views)

ABU Students Return N2.5m To Owner (Photos) / Mixing ‘Runs’ With Academics; A Sad Tale Of Nigerian Universities / Education And Academics: The Difference You Really Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by edoairways: 9:15pm On Jan 10, 2021
GetMeRight:

I don't see how rewarding excellence prevents them from upgrading the schools' facilities. You can clamour for that too
You start from the bottom not top
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Proflere: 9:31pm On Jan 10, 2021
44Bulldog:
That's mordern day world for u, not Nigeria only.... where we derive joy and happiness in celebrating irrelevant and mediocre things undecided

It also happens at family level sef....

In a situation whereby a capable and rich uncle will fail to help his niece or nephew in terms of academics procedures such as helping in tuition fee payment etc but derive joy in spraying money in parties just for petty show off

The one that annoys me the most was the fans of laycon vs fans of Erica....both involved in competition of donating money to them to see who'll emerge the richest, including our lazy youths wey never chop ooo undecided

This part of the world is messed up

Someone got bleeped on live TV, just to come out of the show to bag political appointment undecided
Celebrating them up and down

But someone with a 5.0 GPA is still under the damn sun looking for employment

*Spits in disgust*
Ogbeni no spit inside my food abeg sad
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by 44Bulldog(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
Proflere:
Ogbeni no spit inside my food abeg sad

LOL

1 Like

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by 44Bulldog(m): 9:38pm On Jan 10, 2021
DamZik:
You just describe my uncle is a single paragraph.
Our leaders have seen us finish. They know what excites the majority of our unintelligent youths.

Most uncles are known for that undecided

1 Like

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Myer(m): 9:39pm On Jan 10, 2021
samsard:
What everyone fails to realize is that entertainment is a business, academics is not.
If an entertainer is paid 50 million today, be rest assured that they're making at least 150 million off of him. A graduating student is generating exactly zero Naira in revenue. It's simple economics, not morals at play.

Here in lies the problem.
This is what happens when you prioritize business over development.

That's why Nigeria is rotting away everyday.
Instead of investing in those that can bring about development, we are more interested in what will bring fast money. Not understanding that the development will bring even more money.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Marveaux(m): 9:49pm On Jan 10, 2021
I want to ask, for those who say BBN is entertainment,what makes entertainment entertaining if it's not accessible?
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by samsard(m): 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2021
Myer:

Instead of investing in those that can bring about development, we are more interested in what will bring fast money. Not understanding that the development will bring even more money.
Elon Musk and Bill Gates did not need a graduation incentive to do what they're doing.
Entertainment is a sector on it's own and should not be the scapegoat for our inability to get things right.

2 Likes

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Myer(m): 10:09pm On Jan 10, 2021
samsard:
Elon Musk and Bill Gates did not need a graduation incentive to do what they're doing.
Entertainment is a sector on it's own and should not be the scapegoat for our inability to get things right.

They are 1 in a million.
The point is clearly not to diminish the entertainment industry but to establish which is more important.

You can't possibly argue that BBN or football is more important than making N8geria less of a consuming nation and more of a producing nation through academic development.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by samsard(m): 10:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
Myer:

They are 1 in a million.
The point is clearly not to diminish the entertainment industry but to establish which is more important.

You can't possibly argue that BBN or football is more important than making N8geria less of a consuming nation and more of a producing nation through academic development.
Well, the problem has never been cash reward for exceptional students. Entertainment is a private sector business and education should be largely public sector.
If our universities produced the right products, then we'd have problem solvers without incentives.
The Elon Musk and Gates example is just to show that people who will become problem solvers don't necessarily need cash rewards.

3 Likes

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Snitch24(m): 10:40pm On Jan 10, 2021
officialsaw01:
I'm dedicating this FTC to my padi hasib04, top notch digital farmer. He keeps telling me 'Education in Nigeria is a scam'.

obviously he lied to u bro
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by moradeke42109: 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2021
E je a ma bawon so, ki won ma se wu iwa ibaje mo o
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by calcal: 12:45am On Jan 11, 2021
It is important to differentiate between gifted, talented, and able to follow instructions.

laycon might be gifted to do what is doing, this is a quality one cannot easily learn or copy and that's why he was appreciated

The effikos might be talented but mostly processes the ability to follow instructions faster than their pairs, however, they need to be rewarded but not as the gifted ones.

Vitalik Buterin the co-funder of Etherium is an example one can say gifted, he won the grant to develop something with the option to drop out of school.

"The Thiel Fellowship (originally named 20 under 20) is a fellowship created by billionaire Peter Thiel through the Thiel Foundation. The fellowship is intended for students under the age of 23 and offers them a total of $100,000 over two years, as well as guidance and other resources, to drop out of school and pursue other work, which could involve scientific research, creating a startup, or working on a social movement. Selection for the fellowship is through a competitive annual process, with about 20–25 fellows selected annually."

So, OP the guys plus the olodo sanwo-olu, Tinubu puppet you want us to celebrate ... sorry.

The young guys are only good at cramming, ask them to start blockchain development now, na story go follow. whereas if they are so clever in computer science they should be a millionaire in dollars by now not to be hanging around with that useless murderer governor.

The funder of TRON TRX was a student like them when he developed he TRX, no governor celebrate him but is a millionaire today.

What the olodo sanwo-olu needs to do is provide free drinkable tap water for those children in the school and stop covering his yansh.

and you OP do your research well

Lanrelagboi:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribuneonlineng.com/n5m-to-celebrate-nudity-n5m-for-mental-excellence/amp/

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Godbless3(m): 1:25am On Jan 11, 2021
obicoolnino:
Well said op, our politicians and other public holders should stop wasting money and resources on things that don't count, it's good to appreciate laycon and their likes but more should be focused on the bright brains amongst us.

Untill you guys get sense before you are a wee bit free in life.
Was/is BBN a government sponsor programme?
Just like BBN is a private sponsor programme, look too at private finance school and make something out of it.
I go to primary/sec. school and the way people destroy already renovated school you wonder why we're still crying.
The same teacher paid by govt, took their children to private sch to show you that even they have nothing to offer or don't believe in their teaching.

Just as youth destroy govt properties and wast their time/money on bbn so shall it be well sponsor to attract more of you.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Godbless3(m): 1:30am On Jan 11, 2021
Myer:

Off all the educated political office holder what are the differences in their govt from others?
Education is overhype and scam to control humans.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Godbless3(m): 1:40am On Jan 11, 2021
Myer:

They are 1 in a million.

So all these 5.0 GP why are they not create their wealth to help fellow graduate?
I may hate BBN but comparing it with government programme is damn stupid and useless.
Untill you been to power then you'll know the pressure that comes with it while personel business you focus your mind how to make profit and interest.
Stop crying about BBN on a private app like twitter using a data bought from a private network like glo, mtn, airtel, 9mobile on a phone develope by private individuals and blame govt for their lack of focus.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by generationz(f): 3:00am On Jan 11, 2021
Isn't Laycon a first class graduate?

Didn't he represent his people well on a platform we watched his waking, sleeping and eating on for months?
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by PARADIZEPRIEST: 5:45am On Jan 11, 2021
obicoolnino:
Well said op, our politicians and other public holders should stop wasting money and resources on things that don't count, it's good to appreciate laycon and their likes but more should be focused on the bright brains amongst us.
DAPO WAS LOOKIN FOR SPOTLIGHT
CHEAP SPOTLIGHT sad
is just fckin hype and cheap fame tht politrickcians use to draw spotlight

1 Like

Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by GetMeRight: 8:02am On Jan 11, 2021
edoairways:

You start from the bottom not top

Which part you didn't understand? One doesn't prevent the other my friend. Giving a cash of paltry sum of 1 to 5 million naira to reward excellence doesn't prevent any government from providing or upgrading facilities. So, there is no case of bottom or top here
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by edoairways: 8:16am On Jan 11, 2021
GetMeRight:

Which part you didn't understand? One doesn't prevent the other my friend. Giving a cash of paltry sum of 1 to 5 million naira to reward excellence doesn't prevent any government from providing or upgrading facilities. So, there is no case of bottom or top here
Giving cash does not solve the problem at hand. If you like start from the stem, you are just wasting your time.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 11, 2021
OYENIYIJK:
For that scholarship given, nice one from Babajide. For that Dapo, him go dey alright Las las. And for my own, just check my signature grin

People with good grades should be massively rewarded, much more by Company's MDs/CEOs and Academicians compared to government.

Meanwhile, the choice on Laycon by Ogun State Governor isn't a bad idea at all. Everything about him is not just about BBN (I dislike the programme btw because of nudity). BBN only made him popular.

Google up his timelines to read up his courageous contributions on youth affairs, ever before qualifying for BBN. Laycon's got the youthful spirit and also maintained good behavoiur throughout BBN despite serial temptations from Erica. In fact, his good behaviour inspired many youths to keep voting for him until he eventually won.

If I were to be the governor of the state he hails from, I will repeatedly do the same thing Dapo Abiodun did.
Re: Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence by helicoptarr: 9:53pm On Jan 11, 2021
Pickieox:

Can we blame the yoots. No! They have been brainwashed via all these moribund ivory towers which train them to think and reason like a programmed robot. What can they do? They can't think outside the box...

You're right on point!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please I Need Help In Balancing These Equations / JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME / Lagos Shuts Ojodu Grammar School Over Students’ Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.