Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? (364 Views)

The Ball Is Now Rollling Matthew 24:30-31 / Breakdown Of Matthew 24 / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo And Daddy Freeze Exchange Words Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by DappaD: 11:23am On Jan 12, 2021
Several translations render the Greek word ‘parousia’ as ‘coming’ at Matthew 24:3 but that rendition tends to limit the actual meaning of the word from being understood.

The normal Greek word for ‘coming’ is ‘érchomai’ but this doesn't appear in either Matthew 24:3, 1Corinthians 15:23 or 1Thessalonians 4:15 rather the Greek word ‘parousia’ which means ‘presence’ does.

Hence, the most apt meaning of the word ‘parousia’ indicates an arrival first, then a subsequent presence. Matthew 24:7 & Luke 21:11 show the events what would take place at the presence of the Son of man which has been happening for quite some time now. compare Psalm 110:2 & Revelation 6:2-8

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by cardoso514: 11:29am On Jan 12, 2021
Let Bible scholars join this discourse
Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by haddeylium(m): 11:55am On Jan 12, 2021
I agree with you brother!

pa.rou.sia means “presence"

"What will be the sign of your coming" is an incorrect translation . That's why I recommend the NWT for people most times.
There's a great deal of difference between 'Coming' and 'presence'.
The former indicate what's to happen in the future while the latter 'Presence' calls for Immediate attention for something ongoing.

The right translation will show the status of Jesus rulership.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by haddeylium(m): 11:56am On Jan 12, 2021

"What will be the sign of your coming" is an incorrect translation . That's why I recommend the NWT for people most times.
The former indicate what's to happen in the future while the latter 'Presence' calls for Immediate attention for something ongoing.

The right translation will show the status of Jesus' rulership.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by DappaD: 12:14pm On Jan 12, 2021
haddeylium:
The former indicate what's to happen in the future while the latter 'Presence' calls for Immediate attention for something ongoing.The right translation will show the status of Jesus' rulership.

How convenient for us that Jesus himself laid down a suitable analogy at Matthew 24:37-39 & Luke 17:26-30.

Just like it took Noah a good number of years(40-50y) to complete the ark and preach to people so they could change their ways(Genesis 7:6, 2Peter 2:5) so also the presence of the Son of man would span several years and people would also ignore the signs of his presence like those in Noah's day did. Compare 2Peter 3:3,4

That's why all them ‘rapture’ people have turned the meaning of 1Thessalonians 4:14-16 upside down because they lack the accurate knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by donnie(m): 12:23pm On Jan 12, 2021
Very useless thread. The thread is all about Mathew 24:3 and you didn't think you should quote the verse anywhere on your post.

I would have posted it but no. Let the thread die a natural death.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by Janosky: 3:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
donnie:
Very useless thread. The thread is all about Mathew 24:3 and you didn't think you should quote the verse anywhere on your post.

I would have posted it but no. Let the thread die a natural death.
Very Useless post..
Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:54pm On Jan 12, 2021
I thought by now he would have gathered hundreds of black Bantus prepared for his black Lord! cheesy

Janosky:

Very Useless post..

1 Like

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by DappaD: 3:56pm On Jan 12, 2021
Janosky:

Very Useless post..

You’d have let him alone to continue ranting. I just ignore his kind completely when I notice they want to get smart. He knows he can neither contribute to nor debunk the stated facts so he has set his mind to do what he knows best.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 24:3, Is It ‘Coming’ Or ‘Presence’ ? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:06pm On Jan 12, 2021
Logically it makes no PRACTICAL sense the way some translators rendered the text, i'm not vast in Hebrew or Greek but one thing i know as a soldier is there can't be anything if a commander says he's coming, we all have to wait for orders until his arrival, but when Jesus' disciples asked for signs it couldn't have meant signs to know of his coming because it has now taken more that 1900 year since he promised to come back! Revelations 22:20

but rather signs that he's around so that they can start taking new orders from their commander whose presence could only be felt BY THE SIGNS!

cardoso514:

Let Bible scholars join this discourse

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Other Issues With The Jehovah Witnesses / . / Why You Should Study And Meditate On The Book Of Genesis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.