Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? (41836 Views)

Why Is " Anything Raised To The Power Zero" Equals To One? / Why Is Any Number Divided By Zero Equals To Infinity?? / How To Find The Square Root Of ANY Number Instantly In 3 Secs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:07pm On Jan 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

If you are not considering the 15 and the 2 you would NEVER HAVE 30.

You would simply be presenting 30 "Boom!" out of the sky, just like that. Then reasonable person shall say "ok, what happened to the 30? And what shall do you want us to do with the 30?

But this is not so when we see the 15 and the 2. Surely we shall see the connection that 2 in 15 places is 30 And 15 in 2 places is Also 30!

Get the point. The question is about the result. 15 and 2 are not the result. They are the factors used for production. Not what is produced.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:08pm On Jan 14, 2021
nonut:

He made the explanation as simple as it could be.
If he's not a good tutor, I don't know who is.

Maybe it came out simple to you but not me. wink
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by YakubuA: 3:09pm On Jan 14, 2021
uracefriend:
Zero is actually a devourer

zero is simply absence of anything

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by mu2sa2: 3:14pm On Jan 14, 2021
Aucun:

Then you didn't multiply them naa...

You're taking this thing too personal!

Once you do, even you, yourself, will confirm the outcome!
"Then you didn't multiply them naa". Yes, I agree I didn't and I keep my cars, but you're saying I now have zero cars because of a failed attempt at multiplying them.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by iWise(m): 3:16pm On Jan 14, 2021
It's a consequence of the fact that the set of all real numbers together with the binary operations "+" and "*" is a ring with unity - that is, a ring that has a multiplication identity (rings are some of the most basic algebraic structures). 0 is the additive identity in this ring and 1 is the multiplication identity,, and every element has an additive inverse - if a is an element in this ring, then -a is its addive inverse so a+(-a) = 0.

For example -1 is the additive inverse of 1, so

1+(-1) = 0.

Suppose b is an arbitrary real number, then by distributive property of a ring,

b*0 = b*(1+(-1)) = b*1 + b*(-1) = b +(-b) = 0.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Firstandonly(m): 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2021
STINOS:
First the commonsense explanation:

Say you are giving away free apples. An infinitely big apple tree has sprouted in your garden (it's hypothetical) and you have decided to give away apples to each person who comes by. You have decided that you'll give 1 apple to each person that comes by. If one person comes by, you have given away one apple. If two people come by, you have given away two apples. If seventy-five people come by you have given away seventy-five apples. This is multiplication by 1. If there are n people that come by, 1*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Say you are giving away 2 apples per person. If one person comes by, you have given away two apples. If two people come by you have given away four apples. If thirty people come by you have given away sixty apples. This is multiplication by 2. So if 'n' is how many people came by, 2*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Similarly, if you are giving away 100 apples per person, 100*n tells you how many apples you have given away in total where 'n' is how many people came by to collect their apples (everyone loves apples).

If you are giving away 0 apples per person, then regardless of how many people come by, how many apples would you have given out by the end of the day? Logically? None, of course! Hence, 0*n = 0.

This also works the other way around, because of the commutative law for multiplication. So lets say no people come by, i.e., n = 0. Regardless of how many apples you want to give away, the total number of apples you have given away will always be 0. Cause no one comes by to take the apples! So a*0 = 0 where a is how many apples you give away per person, which doesn't matter.

Now for an explanation hinging slightly more on mathematical notation:

Multiplication is basically addition, done over and over again. Multiplying a number n by 2 means adding n twice --> n + n

Multiplying a number by 7 means adding it seven times --> n + n + n + n + n + n + n

Multiplying a number a gazillion times means n + n + n ... (a gazillion n's)

So what you multiply 'n' by tells you the number of n you have to add together. If you multiply n by 0, then there are no n's in the picture. Since you are not adding anything, you are left with nothing, aka 0. So:

2*n = n + n (two n's on this side)
7*n = n + n + n + n + n + n + n (seven n's on this side)
0*n = (how many n's do you see on this side? None.

I go like sit close to person like u for exams
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by pquaver(m): 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Stop arguing what you don't know. Buhari was pushed. Aided to achieve beyond his capacity.

Are you stupid or you did not go to school? All this ariaria boys who no finish primary school with China phone everywhere. So you don't know what a testimonial or recommendation is? So if I give you a recommendation it means I pushed you? As you are so you want to tell me nobody has recommended you for anything in your life? That is why you are a nobody and busy causing nuisance here on Nairaland? OK come for recommendations make we see if your life fit change. You can't give what you don't have.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by banio: 3:18pm On Jan 14, 2021
What does the word multiply mean.
If You think a little, you would would know what the word "multiply" means.

Multiply means in increasing a number in multiples. So if you want to increase a number by multiple of zero.

Then the number will be zero.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:21pm On Jan 14, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Get the point. The question is about the result. 15 and 2 are not the result. They are the factors used for production. Not what is produced.

Yes, But All Products come from the Fact of Production Exactly as your post here in Nairaland is a Product of the fact that you CERTAINLY used a phone/Computer, Internet Connectivity, Registration in Nairaland Membership, Login and Successful Submission of your comment by pressing "Submit".

The Whole True View is that it is an Inseparable Process, your Post and comment did not just fall in here, you went through a process.

I can safely say that in this world, all True Products, Come from Due Process and the Process and Products are an Inseperable Whole.

For there is No Product without a Process in this world.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Aucun(m): 3:21pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:
"Then you didn't multiply them naa". Yes, I agree I didn't and I keep my cars, but you're saying I now have zero cars because of a failed attempt at multiplying them.

I don't know what you're on about.

But following your illustration, you didn't even attempt to multiply the cars, unless there was an insurance or warrantee on it/them.

A clear case of you trying to multiply the car would be, investing it in MMM, MBA forex or 9jabet!

Unless, there was a money back guarantee, you won't get the car(s) back the exact same way/numbers.

PS. This is not about "you" oh! It could be me, anybody or just plain imaginary.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Xfuzzy(m): 3:23pm On Jan 14, 2021
Great question OP.. This is going to be a really long read, but it's worth it. wink wink

This question is more of mathematics and thus requires sound understanding of the axioms of mathematics to make sense of what's going on. I don't want you to appeal to a physical interpretation by trying to relate this with something real, something you can touch or something you can relate with. Mathematics is beyond all of this.

Alright, lemme introduce you to Abstract Algebra, or just Algebra. This is a field of study in mathematics that deals with algebraic structures (will explain what this means shortly) and the various operations that can be done in these algebraic structures. Basically, these structures are just abstract entities with well-defined axioms that describes them.

Now for starters, you may be wondering what an axiom is.

An axiom is a statement or proposition that is well accepted based on logical inference and is self-evidently true, but can not be proved.

Now, something about axiom is that, it is the foundation of all of mathematics, infact all of mathematics is built on well-defined axioms, from these axioms, theorems and conjectures are built to produce everything we've ever known in mathematics. So without axioms, there is no mathematics. Second is, axioms can't be proved, so these axioms must be well thought out by mathematicians before they are established. So as a mathematician, you don't worry about whether or not an axiom is true cause all of that has been handled by mathematicians. You just agree that these axioms exists and are self-evidently true. So if you take this statement as an axiom "X is even" you don't worry yourself over whether X can be odd at times, you just go ahead and work with the assumption that "X is even" must be true.

So with that out of the way, I think it's time to introduce some of the algebraic structures we have in abstract algebra. These are just 3 of them: Groups, Rings, Fields. I don't know if there are others cause I'm not a mathematics student. But the algebraic structure of concern for today is Groups.

Now, what is a Group? A group, just like every other algebraic structure, is an algebraic structures with some well-defined axioms. Aha, now what makes a Group different from a Ring and a Field, it's the axioms that define these groups. These axioms are somewhat different for the different algebraic structures. That's exactly what makes them different. So a Group is essentially an algebraic structure that contains a set (just the usual notion of set you've learnt), say G, and an operation, let's call this operation *, with some specific axioms. Now what are those axioms.

1.) Closure
2.) Associativity
3.) Existence of identity element that's always unique.
4.) Existence of an inverse, that's also unique for each element in G.

So a Group contains: a defined Set, say G, a single operation, say *, and some axioms that shows how these operations are carried out. Everything outside of these is meaningless to a group. It's from these concept that we'll build everything we know about a Group.

First, what does a set have to do with this? and what is even an operation to begin with? A set is just a fancy name for a collection of stuffs, I'm sure you have an idea of what set is and have probably carried out some "operations on set". So we introduced a set to contain some stuffs, these are called elements of the set, and it's these elements that'll carry out these operations self, so it's really important. Now, what's an operation, an operation can be something like "addition", where you just add up two things together, "multiplication" where you're required to just multiply things, and so on. Now, the question is, what's the definition of addition and/or multiplication in the first place. Are there axioms for these two things, now that's exactly what this axioms will describe completely. So you see why it's important we do all these?

Let's say our set G contains three elements, "a" and "b" and "c". To write this mathematically, we say:

G = {a, b, c} and the operation on this group is called , *. Don't be bothered about what this operation is at all.

Ohh, and mathematically, to write that a, b belongs in G, we say: a ∈ G and b ∈ G. Simple right? Now let's continue and explain what this axioms mean.

The first Axiom is closure:

Closure means that, when you take any two elements in the set G, an operation under those two elements will produce another element, and this new element belongs in this same group. Mathematically you write it this way:

if a ∈ G and b ∈ G, then a * b is another element, that belongs in G, simple right? So that basically means "a" and "b" can't just be the only members in G, it keeps expanding as we take up more axioms. But this is basically what the axiom of closure is all about.

Now moving to the second axiom, associativity. This particularly axiom involves three elements. Hence why I started out with three elements in G. So let's see what this axiom states. It goes like this.

if a, b and c belongs in G, then: a * (b * c) = (a * b) * c.

So what does this statement literary mean? It means that if I take two elements in a group for example, b and c, and I do an operation, *, under them, the closure axiom guarantees us that b * c, belongs in the group. Now, don't forget that b * c is just one single element in G, so if I do another operation with "a" under *, it'll give me another element in the group called a * (b * c) since we assumed that closure is true. Now, consider the other way, if I operate "a" and "b" first, then I combine this result with "c" it'll give me (a * b) * c, so the axiom is telling us that both these results are equal and the same. It's as simple as that, no more no less, trying to relate this with our five senses and physical reality just doesn't work. That's what the axiom says and that's what we must work with.

Now for the third axiom, first in mathematics, when they say something is unique, it means there's one and only one of that thing. So identity element being unique means there can only be a single identity element in a group. Usually the identity element is symbolically written as "e". So we just agree with this convention and move on. Now what does being an "identity element" even mean. That's what the statement of this axiom is. We know that "a" belongs in G, also our new element, e, belongs in G, an identity element is something that goes this like this:

a * e = e * a = a For all "a" that belongs in G

What does this even mean, it simply states that when you operate any element in G, let's say element "a" for example, with the identity element "e" in whatever way, whether a * e or e * a, at the end of the day, it preserves "a", that is, "a" doesn't change at all. So if I operate element "b" with the identity element, the output is "b" if I operate "c" with the identity element, the output is still "c".

You'll like to ask, have I seen something similar to this before, yes you have. Think of it, if the operation, *, is "addition", what's the identity element? It's 0 of course.. because when you add 0 to any number, it doesn't change that number. Lol, now the thing is, 0 was chosen to play this role in mathematics. It could've been given any other symbol but that symbol and name was just chosen.

How about if that operation, *, is multiplication, what's the inverse of multiplication, it's 1 of course. Because when you multiply 1 by any number, the output is still that number. Aha, now let's not just stop here, there is one more axiom remaining.

Now for the 4th axiom. This one is about another element again that's in G. Lets symbolise that inverse element with M. Now, here's what it means to be an inverse element under operation, *.

a * M = M * a = e.

Aha, what this means is that our set G contains an inverse element, M, which when operated with "a" gives the identity element. Now each element in its own inverse ohh, it's different from identity element where the whole set G share the same identity element. So "a" has its own inverse and is unique (which means "a" has a single inverse), "b" has its own unique inverse, "c" has its own too and so on.

Now this may already look too abstract to you, is there something I can relate this with? Of course this is, now let's say the operation, *, we're talking about is addition operation. What's the inverse? That is? What's that element which when added to "a" will give the identity element for addition (which is zero) that element is simply (–a). And that's because we know that: a + (–a) = 0. So the inverse of 5 is –5, the inverse of 2 is –2. And so on.

How about multiplication, does it have an inverse too? Yes it does, the inverse under the operation of multiplication is "1/a" for "a" and that's because when you multiply "a" and "1/a" it'll give you 1, which is the identity element under multiplication. Although if you assume that 0 belongs in this group G, under the operation of multiplication, it has no inverse. The reason is not farfetched. 1/0 is meaningless in mathematics and that's because division of any number by 0 is not allowed in mathematics.

Now we are armed to the teeth and we can tackle your question more properly. Now that we know what a group is all about, to restate it so as to be sure, a group is a structure with a set G and a single operation, say *, that obeys all those axioms we stated.

We can now ignore those flimsy pictures we were trying to paint with the "2 things in zero place OR zero in three places". Let's work with this algebraic structure at out disposal and figure it out once and for all.

Let's say we have a group called (G, *), actually this is how groups are represented in mathematics. G is the set, and * is the operation under G. Now let's start with operation of addition, which is represented by +.

So what is 1 + 0? Remember we said 0 is the identity element under +, and we said (identity element axiom) that:

a * e = a,

so 1 + 0 = 1.

It's easy now to see that: 0 + 0 = 0.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by ThatFairGuy1: 3:24pm On Jan 14, 2021
proxitaly:
Buhari (something) x Buhari brain (empty or nothing) = nothing
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?
Nigeria of your own you meant not ours.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 3:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
koning:

Can you please explain the concept of "BREAKING EVEN" in business. I am not an accountant, but Op is a thinking man. I would not say a genius, but he posed a thinking man's question. Many companies are happy to break even for years. Which practically means that they added 0 to the 1000 they invested, but they still have the 1000.
Hence the question by Op. Why can't 1000 x 0 = 1000.

You are still thinking like the Op, there is a particular part of your brain you have not activated, and it is the reason why we can't achieve much here as far as productivity is concerned.
You break even because you have added nothing to the existing, so you still have the existing.
1000 + 0 = 1000
While your productivity or negativity which is your profit or loss equal 0
1000 * 0 = 0.

We need to think better than this, I see lots of Chinese and I don't know why they are doing better than us. It's annoying
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by francotunsco: 3:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

mind you
0 * 3 and
3 * 0 are two different statement.

0 (nothing) * 3 (something) = 0 (nothing)

3 (something) * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

why isnt it
3 * 0 = 3
0 * 3 = 0
Hmnnn...
Why isn't 3*0=3?

When one potent person meets with an impotent, what will happen?
The answer is zero!

Even if the potency of the potent person is raise to power 10!
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by koning: 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:

Brilliant analysis. That is the crux of the matter. You multiplied it by nothing. And now they say " You lost everything"

Galileo(not sure about the spelling) was beheaded because he said the Earth was round, NOT flat. Centuries later everybody agrees that the Earth is actually round. It takes one man.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Stubborn82: 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2021
Bolingua1:

He isn't any genius,
He just couldn't think right.
Use your brain properly. Nobody is talking about what you have, but the product of what you have.
You have #100, and you didn't do anything to it, you still have #100, but the product is 0, because nothing has been added to it. People can't just think smart.

You see, genius are not normal people, the irony is that normal people can not tell if someone is genius, in fact normal people see genius as stupid people.

The question of the op might sound stupid to ordinary mind, but it is a question that can spark unexpected idea.

This is how Isaac Newton come up with the law of motion, haven't you read about the Newton law of motion?

Newton was questioning the fall of an apple and felt why must the apple fall, why not stay or hung on the air, with this question in the mind of a man like newton, what happens next.......boom......aha! The law of motion was born, which has help to improve scientific research and technological development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by AiooAi: 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2021
If you multiply any number by BUhaRi= 0
E.g. 100,000 *BUhaRi = 0
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Codes151(m): 3:34pm On Jan 14, 2021
How do you determine 0 in real life?
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by ericmor: 3:36pm On Jan 14, 2021
mu2sa2:
Your example is logical: 3×7 is the same as 7×3 i.e seven multiplied by three is exactly three multiplied by seven. But 7×0 and 0x7 which in mathematics yield the same result are illogical e.g 0 naira x 7 is still 0 naira, but 7 naira x 0 naira still leaves 7 naira intact, therefore the maths defies logic.

Is the result it yielded not the numbers you have used to multiply.
Ok, after which you multiply 7*0 wat those it give? Nothing result. But when you say 7*1 you still have the 7 result. U can't have 7naira and multiply it with 0 and get anything, is not possible.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:37pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mathematicians in houz i hail o
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Najdorf: 3:37pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:
Why is any any number multiply by zero is equal to zero?

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
mathematicians in the house please gather.
This is product of poor math teachers who just teach rules instead of showing the logic behind them

Multiplication is just repeated addition. Think of it like this:
2x3=3+3
3x3=3+3+3
4x3=3+3+3+3
5x3=3+3+3+3+3

Now what is 4x0? From the examples
4x0=0+0+0+0=0
5x0=0+0+0+0+0=0

Simple.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Stubborn82: 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
Gabbriell:

There is nothing mind bobbling about the question. You guys simply don't know the difference and relationship between Addition and Multiplication.

Rule of multiplication
5×0 = 0×5= 0 - - - - - (1)

Meaning:
Group zeros into five places and add them together.

1.e (0) + (0) + (0) + (0) + (0) = 0

Multiplication means "addition in repeated groups". So if zero is involved, everything becomes zero because regardless of the number of times you group and add zero the answers become zero. Remember the rules of multiplication in equation (1).

Am not talking about mathematics here, am concerned about what led to the question of op.

Multiplication might be your interest, but for me, is the disruptive thinking. The disruptive thinking is what bring new idea, every modern business need a position of entrepreneurs just like the way we have the position for HR, GM, MD, CEO. That is the position that really matter to bring about improving productivity and gaining competitive advantage in the market place.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Najdorf: 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

mind you
0 * 3 and
3 * 0 are two different statement.

0 (nothing) * 3 (something) = 0 (nothing)

3 (something) * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

why isnt it
3 * 0 = 3
0 * 3 = 0
Multiplication is commutative. a*b=b*a
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by studentofTruth: 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:
Why is any any number multiply by zero is equal to zero?

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
mathematicians in the house please gather.

It's a disruptive question like this that led Einstein to the Relativity Theory. While abstract thinking is a sign of intelligence, it is seen as a taboo in this part of the world (Africa and Nigieria in particular) — they will soon call you mad, crazy, etc.

You may have to tone it down if you're living in this part of the world. "The only thing an African man thinks of is how to put money in his pocket and get a woman to produce children. Thoughts like creating solutions to problems in the world and how to build a better society is beyond his mental capacity." I have come accept this painful reality!

Back to your question, I will attempt to explain it using Einstein's general relativity theory. "Everything is relative to something else." In the case of anything multiplied by zero giving a product of zero, that "zero" product is relative to the action and not the entities multiplied — the product being zero doesn't mean that the non-zero entity vanished.

Let me explain with your oranges example:

First scenario (10x0 = 0): You have 10 oranges to give out. The action here is "to give out 10 oranges." To complete this action, there must be 10 oranges to give out and someone or something to give them to. In this case, you have the 10 oranges, but there's nobody/nothing to give the oranges. Relative to the intended action — giving out 10 oranges — you have given out zero oranges. However, it does not mean that the entity (10 oranges) vanished. In other words, the fact that the second entity needed to complete the action is not there (value: 0) doesn't mean that the first entity (10 oranges) has vanished. It only means that the action cannot be carried out (value: 0).

To put it as an equation:

Entity1(Present) x Entity2(Absent) = Action(Absent)

Second scenario (0x10 = 0): You want to give out oranges to 10 persons. The action is "to give out oranges to 10 persons." To complete the action, you must have both entities — the oranges to give out and the 10 persons you will give the oranges. But you have no (zero) oranges, so the action cannot be carried out. Relative to the action — giving out oranges — you have done nothing (zero oranges given out). However, this doesn't mean that the 10 persons vanished because there were no oranges. In other words, the fact that the other entity needed to complete the action is not there (value: 0) doesn't mean that the second entity (10 persons) has vanished. It only means that the action cannot be carried out (value: 0).

To put it as an equation:

Entity1(Absent) x Entity2(Present) = Action(Absent)

The point I'm making is that, using general relativity theory, the product of any multiplication with zero relative to the action and not the entities in the multiplication. The absence of any of the entities means that the action cannot be carried out, but the other entities don't cease to exit.

So, even in cases of 10x2x0 = 0, you can extend this logic to explain it.

An example of everyday application of this can be seen in anything. If there's no patient to be operated, the surgeon carries out no surgery (zero action), but it doesn't mean that the doctor or his surgical skills have vanished.

If a fund manager sees no good opportunity to invest in, no investment happens (zero action), but that doesn't mean that the fund manager or the cash has vanished. This is why cash is a component of any portfolio — it stays there waiting for the right opportunity to go make you more money.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by koning: 3:40pm On Jan 14, 2021
[quote author=Codes151 post=98054700]How do you determine 0 in real life?

[/quo

In my opinion 0 is emptiness, vacuum, nothing, zilch. Does not exist. That's why that traditional way of multiplication is giving the Op and Me something to ponder about.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by studentofTruth: 3:41pm On Jan 14, 2021
Stubborn82:

You see, genius are not normal people, the irony is that normal people can not tell if someone is genius, in fact normal people see genius as stupid people.

The question of the op might sound stupid to ordinary mind, but it is a question that can spark unexpected idea.

This is how Isaac Newton come up with the law of motion, haven't you read about the Newton law of motion?

Newton was questioning the fall of an apple and felt why must the apple fall, why not stay or hung on the air, with this question in the mind of a man like newton, what happens next.......boom......aha! The law of motion was born, which has help to improve scientific research and technological development.

You are right, but in Africa, disruptive questions are tagged crazy!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by koning: 3:43pm On Jan 14, 2021
Codes151:
How do you determine 0 in real life?

In my opinion 0 is emptiness, vacuum, nothing, zilch. Does not exist. That's why that traditional way of multiplication is giving the Op and Me something to ponder about.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2021
pquaver:

Are you stupid or you did not go to school? All this ariaria boys who no finish primary school with China phone everywhere. So you don't know what a testimonial or recommendation is? So if I give you a recommendation it means I pushed you? As you are so you want to tell me nobody has recommended you for anything in your life? That is why you are a nobody and busy causing nuisance here on Nairaland? OK come for recommendations make we see if your life fit change. You can't give what you don't have.
Abuses does not give you credence or rep.
The fact is that Buhari was pushed a lot

Even the military rule he made a mess of was handed to him on a platter. Other people carried out the coup. When it was over, he was luckily the one selected to rule. Not earned.

You can abuse from today until tomorrow but the truth won't change. tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Bolingua1: 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2021
Stubborn82:

Well said. They made you want to think why things are the way there are. The ability to reason logically and come up with reasonable explanations, but the comments that to follow and the inability of some to not still get why, and couldn't understand why, is appalling. This is not what we should be discussing.
So many inventions are still waiting for us, not just how to make money and feed family.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Iconstar: 4:05pm On Jan 14, 2021
STINOS:
First the commonsense explanation:

Say you are giving away free apples. An infinitely big apple tree has sprouted in your garden (it's hypothetical) and you have decided to give away apples to each person who comes by. You have decided that you'll give 1 apple to each person that comes by. If one person comes by, you have given away one apple. If two people come by, you have given away two apples. If seventy-five people come by you have given away seventy-five apples. This is multiplication by 1. If there are n people that come by, 1*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Say you are giving away 2 apples per person. If one person comes by, you have given away two apples. If two people come by you have given away four apples. If thirty people come by you have given away sixty apples. This is multiplication by 2. So if 'n' is how many people came by, 2*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Similarly, if you are giving away 100 apples per person, 100*n tells you how many apples you have given away in total where 'n' is how many people came by to collect their apples (everyone loves apples).

If you are giving away 0 apples per person, then regardless of how many people come by, how many apples would you have given out by the end of the day? Logically? None, of course! Hence, 0*n = 0.

This also works the other way around, because of the commutative law for multiplication. So lets say no people come by, i.e., n = 0. Regardless of how many apples you want to give away, the total number of apples you have given away will always be 0. Cause no one comes by to take the apples! So a*0 = 0 where a is how many apples you give away per person, which doesn't matter.

Now for an explanation hinging slightly more on mathematical notation:

Multiplication is basically addition, done over and over again. Multiplying a number n by 2 means adding n twice --> n + n

Multiplying a number by 7 means adding it seven times --> n + n + n + n + n + n + n

Multiplying a number a gazillion times means n + n + n ... (a gazillion n's)

So what you multiply 'n' by tells you the number of n you have to add together. If you multiply n by 0, then there are no n's in the picture. Since you are not adding anything, you are left with nothing, aka 0. So:

2*n = n + n (two n's on this side)
7*n = n + n + n + n + n + n + n (seven n's on this side)
0*n = (how many n's do you see on this side? None.

You forgot to add "copied from quora"
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Codes151(m): 4:09pm On Jan 14, 2021
koning:

You(1) Pick up (3) onions: That is 3 x 1?

You(1) Pick up (2) onions: That is 2 x 1?

You(1) Pick up (1) onions: That is 3 x 1?

You Pick up NOTHING: What is 1 x 0?

If you have NOTHING, then NO onions is the same as ZERO Onions

If you have nothing,

45 didn’t disappear, it just picked nothing

Same thing applies in reverse!

1 bag to put 3 onions, 1 x 3 = 3 onions inside
1 bag to put 2 onions, 1 x 2 = 2 onions inside
1 bag to put 1 onions, 1 x 1 = 1 onions inside
1 bag to put 0 onions, 1 x 0 = 0 onions inside

Nothing.
QED

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

2015/2016 IMSU Admission On Official JAMB Cut Off Mark And Departmental Marks / Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? / SS1 Student Brutally Beaten By His Teacher In Yobe State (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.