Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication (5193 Views)

The Empire of The Ibenu Chronicle / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. / The Fall And Rise Of The Benin Empire: A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 9:17pm On Jan 18, 2021
letu:
Enough of this people you're mentioning whom the White people used , by using them to destroy our culture and demonizing our culture including every thing about us, the even extended it to our skin colour .
Nna eh! what are you talking about white people? Educate yourself. John Christopher Taylors' Mother is from Arochukwu and his father is from Isuama. He was a rescued slave who grew up in Sierra Leone and just like Rev Crowther did for his Yoruba people, Rev. Taylor came back home and settled in Onitsha, and the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Act of Apostle.
We really need to bring back history in school.
Now, I am not saying that his proposition was the correct one, but don't ever mess up the names of the heroes that sold the beauty of our people to the world.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 6:27pm On Jan 19, 2021
I will move a bit further from the main book I am using for this thread and dig some more into other books. Captain Hugh Crow of Liverpool in 1830 (At this stage, the air of white supremacy is still on a high).
Here, he a narrated the relationship between the Igbos and others at Bonny

Besides the Eboes and Breches, we received at
Bonny negroes of several other nations, named
Quaws, Appas, Ottaras, and Brasses. The Quaws,
(or Moscoes of the West Indies) are an ill-disposed
people, whom the Eboes regard with great aversion,
as they consider them cannibals in their own coun-
try ; an assumption which their desperate and fero-
cious looks would seem to warrant. Their skins
are blacker than those of the Eboes, and their teeth
are sharpened with files, so as to resemble those of
a saw. These men were ever the foremost in any
mischief or insurrection amongst the slaves, and
from time to lime many whites fell victims to their
fury at Bonny. They are mortal enemies to the
Eboes, of whom, such is their masculine superiority,
and desperate courage, they would beat three times
their own number. The slave ships were always
obliged to provide separate rooms for these men be-
tween decks, and the captains were careful to have
as few of them as possible amongst their cargoes.
The females of this tribe are fully as ferocious and
vindictive as the men.

The Appas are a race of people so slothfully
inclined, that they trust for a subsistence to the
spontaneous productions of the earth, and rather
than betake themselves to cultivation, will even eat
grass and soil. The few of them whom our
author knew were extremely indolent in their habits ;
and probably owing- to this, and the coarseness of
their usual food, their flesh was loose and soft, and
their bodies feeble. They are however of a harm-
less disposition, and the Eboes take a great delight
in tantalizing them.

The Oltam tribe are stout and robust, and of a
deeper black than any of the other tribes at Bonny.
Their bodies and faces are carved and tatooed in a
frightful manner ; they seem nevertheless to be a
well-disposed good-tempered race, and are much
liked by the Eboes. Besides these we sometimes got
a few natives of Benin, which is about iGO or 170
miles from Bonny. These resemble the Eboes, and
it is probable were partly of the same nation.
They are the most orderly and well-behaved of all
the blacks. In their own country they are famous
for the manufacture of a beautiful sort of table-
cloth.

1 Like

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by letu(m): 6:50pm On Jan 19, 2021
Ekealterego:

Nna eh! what are you talking about white people? Educate yourself. John Christopher Taylors' Mother is from Arochukwu and his father is from Isuama. He was a rescued slave who grew up in Sierra Leone and just like Rev Crowther did for his Yoruba people, Rev. Taylor came back home and settled in Onitsha, and the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Act of Apostle.
We really need to bring back history in school.
Now, I am not saying that his proposition was the correct one, but don't ever mess up the names of the heroes that sold the beauty of our people to the world.
Enough of this people you are mentioning they were used by White people to promote white superiority inwhich an aspect/ purpose was to make sub Saharan Africans ignorant of who they are in spirit and in physical by using this Pastor's, Reverend, Father's and Bishop's etc to render our way of life/ philosophy inferior and also by demonize every positive/ good aspect of our culture embarassed embarassed.

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 7:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
letu:
Enough of this people you are mentioning they were used by White people to promote white superiority inwhich an aspect/ purpose was to make sub Saharan Africans ignorant of who they are in spirit and in physical by using this Pastor's, Reverend, Father's and Bishop's etc to render our way of life/ philosophy inferior and also by demonize every positive/ good aspect of our culture embarassed embarassed.
..but Taylor and Crowther did not come around to bring down our culture but to elevate it... Most of the works of these guys and people before him like Equiano was instrumental to the abolishment of slavery. They had to start somewhere.
The authors you mentioned built their ideas and populations from the works of these older guys.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by letu(m): 8:08am On Jan 20, 2021
Ekealterego:
I need your contributions and thoughts too.

Apart from Chukwu Okike (God the creator) Igbos also believed that there is "a fallen Angel", which is consistent with Judaistic beliefs. People who wanted to do evil or mischief went to him. In the bible, the "fallen angels" is Satan. In Igbo cultures in the past, they also believe the "fallen angels" to be Satan. They call it Kamallo or Igwikalla".

Read the excerpt below:
No need to contribute on such ridiculous article you posted Which is nothing but a from a devious historians/anthropologists.

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 11:39am On Jan 20, 2021
letu:
No need to contribute on such ridiculous article you posted Which is nothing but a from a devious historians/anthropologists.
Bruv! I do not know why you are throwing tantrums. What I presented was books from ethnologist who wrote what they witnessed with their eyes at that time in history and their deduction.
You are also free to present yours in a civil manner like someone who was raised well.

I presented a book from the 1800s and you resented one from the late 1990s or thereabout. I made it clear the books I was posting mine from are quite ancient. You are also free to post yours. I also made it clear that the things presented are not my opinion.
We are all here to learn, except you have other agendas.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by ijawcitizen(m): 2:52pm On Jan 20, 2021
Wow, such a barbaric people.

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 4:03pm On Jan 20, 2021
There are a lot of ethnologists who described the physical attributes of the Igbos. Many of them acknowledged that the Igbos were generally fairer in completion than their neighbours. I do not know the reason for this, but my theory is that the areas they occupied had more vegetative canopies or it could just be from their ancestors. The two accounts I uploaded are from James Prichard, 1837 and Dr Olfield around 1831 or earlier.

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2021
Igbos in Sierra Leone in the 1700s/1800s

Sierra-Leone, especially Freetown had a lot of African migrants and freed slaves or recent migrants who could still tell where they were from.

There were a lot of people from present-day Nigeria who were in Sierra Leone. Yorubas/Yoruba/Yobah (They were called Akoos in Freetown), Igbos, Hausas and others.

I will upload some accounts from different sources. of the Igbos in Sierra-Leone.

1. Robert Clarke in his book documentation for the ethnological Society of London.

Here, Clarke, represented the Igbos living in Sierra-leone with a group of Igbos in those days known as Ebreches/breches (I guess the practice to him was absurd). I think this is practised amongst the Isuama people and usually for the wealthy or royalty... (Baikie, talked about this practice and had more accurate information regarding the phenomena and people but he found that this is not a subgroup but a wealthy class of Igbos).

cc. Pazienza, Abgworo, ChinenyeN, what do you know about these group of Igbos? Breches? Ebreches? Clarke, had a portrait/drawing of an Ebretche/breche Igbo.

He noted that the Igbos were very wealthy and successful in Sierra-leone... No be today Igbo people start to dey business

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by pazienza(m): 4:58pm On Jan 20, 2021
Ekealterego:
Igbos in Sierra Leone in the 1700s/1800s

Sierra-Leone, especially Freetown had a lot of African migrants and freed slaves or recent migrants who could still tell where they were from.

There were a lot of people from present-day Nigeria who were in Sierra Leone. Yorubas/Yoruba/Yobah (They were called Akoos in Freetown), Igbos, Hausas and others.

I will upload some accounts from different sources. of the Igbos in Sierra-Leone.

1. Robert Clarke in his book documentation for the ethnological Society of London.

Here, Clarke, represented the Igbos living in Sierra-leone with a group of Igbos in those days known as Ebreches/breches (I guess the practice to him was absurd). I think this is practised amongst the Isuama people and usually for the wealthy or royalty... (Baikie, talked about this practice and had more accurate information regarding the phenomena and people but he found that this is not a subgroup but a wealthy class of Igbos).

cc. Pazienza, Abgworo, ChinenyeN, what do you know about these group of Igbos? Breches? Ebreches? Clarke, had a portrait/drawing of an Ebretche/breche Igbo.

He noted that the Igbos were very wealthy and successful in Sierra-leone... No be today Igbo people start to dey business

Its the Mgburuichi or Mgbirichi.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2021
In reference to the last post, on the Breches/Bretshi, I`'tshi or whichever variation of the spelling, you can find Baikie's account below.

"...I inquired particularly after a sup-

posed district or tribe, mentioned by Clarke and some

other writers, as I'tshi or Bretshi, but found that this

was a misapplication of the term. There is no place

of this name, but I'tshi, which means "cut-face,"

refers to certain individuals who are marked by

numerous cuttings on the forehead, which greatly

disfigure the countenance. I fell in with one of

these I'tshi, who confirmed all this, and told me that

this practice prevails chiefly in Isuama, and that it

is confined to the families of the wealthy. As far as I

could gather, it is only the males who are thus

hideously tatooed, though in I'gbo it is reckoned

becoming, and entitles the possessors to respect.

The word Bretshi is wrong, Mbrltshi being the

correct term, but I'tshi is more frequently employed.

To the northward and eastward of Ndoki is a large

district named Abanyim, where the I'gbos and people

from Old Kalabar meet for trade. Not far from this

stands the noted city of A'ro or A'no...."

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 5:53pm On Jan 20, 2021
pazienza:

Its the Mgburuichi or Mgbirichi.
Nice!! Your knowledge of your people is deep.....

1 Like

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by nsiba: 4:10am On Jan 21, 2021
ijawcitizen:
Wow, such a barbaric people.

I thought JEWs only worship Jehovah
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by nsiba: 5:03am On Jan 21, 2021
Ekealterego:
Those ethnologists and missionary really queried and studied the Igbos in West-Africa and were really stunned by the Hebrew similarities. From the records, the Igbos were also referred to as Heber, Eber (Hebrews) before they were called "Egbo" and then "Ebo".
You could also tell here that the Igalas and Igbos were kind of related too.
Read this below.

Igalas are kind of Hebrews then
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Yujin(m): 12:33pm On Jan 21, 2021
Ekealterego:
Now to the origins and link to Judaism. Note that the earlier works even link this more strongly than Beale did in this book.
Rev. James Frederick Schön the respected German missionary and linguist (he did most of his works on the Hausa language) was one of the people in the 1800s who believed in the Igbo-Hebrew links.

Read what is written below from Beale though.

We will look at the religion first and the Aro and a written record of a prayer made in Abo (now Agbor).

I strongly believe the Abo written is actually the original Aboh of Ndokwa East(Ukwuani) and not the Agbor of Ika North East.
Most European expeditions of from the mid 19th century backwards was centred along waterbodies viz Atlantic coast and Banks of River Niger. Aboh was very famous at that time as the greatest power on the lower Niger even above Idah. There are very few records from Agbor.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 1:51pm On Jan 21, 2021
Yujin:

I strongly believe the Abo written is actually the original Aboh of Ndokwa East(Ukwuani) and not the Agbor of Ika North East.
Most European expeditions of from the mid 19th century backwards was centred along waterbodies viz Atlantic coast and Banks of River Niger. Aboh was very famous at that time as the greatest power on the lower Niger even above Idah. There are very few records from Agbor.
Yeah! Sure!... They talked about their meeting with King Obie of Abo and how his power waned when he got older
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 12:06am On Jan 23, 2021
The Igbo-consciousness: Just like the Ikas and Ikwerres today, the evidence here suggests that all Igbo subgroups claimed to belong to their subgroup and denied or were not aware of the Igbo phenomena. So an Aro man would say, "What is Igbo? I am from Aro (or whatever subgroup they were from). It was stated here that the Akos (Yorubas) were like that too in Siera-Leone.

Whenever you attack an Ikwerre, or Ika man for denial, not that our ancestors were like that too.
CC: ChinenyeN, Pazienza, Logan, Abagworo.

Koell, compiled a list of Africans in Sierra Leone, interviewed them.

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Nobody: 12:42am On Jan 23, 2021
nsiba:

I thought JEWs only worship Jehovah

Fake news.

Igbos don't engage in such
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Ekealterego: 12:51pm On Mar 03, 2021
Here is a testimony of King Pepple to Samuel Crowther about his origin and the origin of Bonny people around 1841.

1 Like

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by afonjaheadhunts: 1:09pm On Apr 22, 2021
Ardar:

How the hell are igbo women respected in igbo culture please pray tell.

I just came across this thread reason you are getting the response today well I will give you some insight on the strength of Igbo women in Igbo cultural Setting till present day, if you are indeed willing to learn and not just asking for bigotry and tribalism sake.

Igbo's have a very strong women group, UmuAda, Nyom Di, Otu Umuagboho, Nwa Ada (Ada), Ezi NNE, Eze Nwanyi these are very strong female groups or Individuals in the Igbo Political, cultural, Socio-political setting. These groups or Individuals can even find a man guilty of a crime and issue purnishment or fine in Igboland.

I will not go further to explain in other to Keep this short and you might just be trolling or looking to show the usual inferiority complex usually seen on NL.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by afonjaheadhunts: 1:21pm On Apr 22, 2021
Ardar:

I don't care about what happened in the 1800s, am talking about the treatment of women in the igbo culture in this present day.

What treatment of women in Igboland?

Let me enlighten the usual misconceptions about treatment of women in Igboland.

1. Women Do not inherit property in Igboland?

False Women inherit property of their mother, and husband's, but don't necessarily inherit their fathers property because it is believed she will marry and leave her father's house for her husband's home where she will marry and inherit property.

However a woman that decides not to marry and stays back in her father's house gets a stake in her father's properties. However now most of this is changing because married or not married now inherit property of their fathers.

So would you mind clearifying the treatment you are referring too? I will gladly shed more light and educate you better as a bonafide Nwafor.
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by myview: 11:31pm On Feb 04, 2022
This is a very informative thread. Thank you poster. I stumbled into it online and this brought me back to Nairaland since like 10 years now. Do you have similiar posts like this?
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Jameseddi1: 9:56pm On Feb 05, 2022
Igbo never had an empire

Your small Nri was anabra only
Igbo known as Ebo before colony was under Benin kingdom

1 Like

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by Brek: 5:53pm On Mar 08, 2023
Jameseddi1:
Igbo never had an empire

Your small Nri was anabra only
Igbo known as Ebo before colony was under Benin kingdom
Yes they never had an empire
But only had Anambra?
Are you that illiterate?
Bro had the 5 southeastern states of Nigeria
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by isan(m): 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2023
I didn't see Lagos in the write up

1 Like

Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by akigbemaru: 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2023
Ekealterego:
Location of the Empire of the Egboes1

SITUATED between the Rivers Niger and Old Calabar and bounded on the north by the left or Binnue branch of the first river, on the south by the Atlantic, on the east by Old Calabar and the Dwalla Countries, and on the west by the River Niger, Benin, and Igara, is the extensive and well-watered tract of the territory included in the Empire of the Egboes. According to Dr. Baikie, Egboe extends east and west from the Old Calabar River to the banks of the Niger, or Kwora and possesses also some territory at Abo, in the westward of the stream on the north it borders on Igara and Akpoto, and is separated from the sea only by petty tribes all of which trace their origin from the great race.

It is divided into several districts or counties, each speaking different dialects, although derived from one root. The principal counties are Isuama, Elugu, Isielu, Isiago, Abaga, _Mitshie, and Djuku, all of which are situated on the north; in the middle are Abo, Abazim, Aro, and Amazunie, and in the south are Brass, Nimbe, Okrika, Ebane or Bonny, and Adony. Very little is known of these districts their histories are shrouded in impenetrable darkness; expeditions have been made through the great water course into the interior; but no cross expedition, starting from the eastern banks of the Niger to the Old Calabar River has as yet been attempted.

In the south the districts are intersected by numerous streams and rivulets, which enter to form the delta of the Niger; mangrove swamps are abundant in various places except between Bonny and Old Calabar, the soil is rich and fertile Further up, the country is more open and elevated, and numerously populated. In Isuama most of the towns are built on rising grounds, dry, and well selected; so that Isuama, Elugu, and Isiago, are far healthier and dryer than the seacoast towns

But there are yet several large and important countries in the interior of Egboe of which nothing is known, as the country has not received that attention among civilized settlers that other parts of the Coast have. After the great failure of the expedition of 1841, no adequate attempt was made to open the River Niger until 1854 when a new impetus was given by the complete success of that year, but which, unfortunately, has been followed by tardy operations.

Note
Egba, Igbo, Ebo, and Ibo are the various spellings met with in books describing the race inhabiting this part of the Coast. Among the soft Isuama and Elugu, the soft Ebo and Ibo is used; but among the inhabitants on the coast, such as Bonny and Okrika the harsher name Egbo is prevalent In the interior north of the Territory, the nations are called Igbo, which approaches more to the original name of the inhabitants. 1
Re: Empire Of The Eboes (hackbous Igbos Iboes Igboes Egboes) 1868 Publication by VEHINTOLAR: 1:54am On Aug 06, 2023
Lol,Eboe "empire " indeed ! This is quite funny. Mtchew,how can the people without any known account or verifiable records of any war of conquest and or territorial expansion be claiming to have whatever yeye "empire" ?! That's truly laughable ! The only "brave"man that existed in their entire tasteless history was one OKONKWO,a fictional character in a play - "Things fall apart" ! Empire my foot,arrant gibberish ! Even those people whose real EMPIRE extended beyond the shores of Nigeria are not beating their chest like these inconsequential descendants of Ijaw slaves !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This / Typical Afro-centric Ways / Does A Person Die When A Star Falls From The Sky?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.