Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

My Fame Almost Destroyed Me,but The Almighty God Saved Me. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Fame Almost Destroyed Me,but The Almighty God Saved Me. (319 Views)

My Fame Almost Destroyed Me,but The Almighty God Saved Me. / I Lost my job, my girlfriend dumped me and nairalanders saved me from suicide / “I Almost Lost My Life 3 Days Ago But My Boobs Saved Me” - Lady Recounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Fame Almost Destroyed Me,but The Almighty God Saved Me. by Real666: 12:49pm On Jan 16, 2021
A testimony of God's love for a celebrity with wrong choices.

BY MR CHARLES I. OKAFOR
Veteran Nollywood Actor.

STRUCK DUMP

Life,in Ajegunle,was a potpourri of sweet,sour experiences.Whilst there was evident absence of minimum comforts,parents and siblings compensated with love and profound family bonding. Each one looked out for the other.And so it was,that,during holidays, I dutifully helped my mother out,in her "Abada" trade (abada is name for a piece of Textile, popular among women of southeast and South-south Nigeria),in the ever busy Alayabiagba (Boundary) Market".

On this fateful day,after displaying our stock on the bamboo rack that was our shop, I walked over to "Mama Rita's" shop,
to play with a little baby,whose mother had come to patronise my mother's neighbour. I lifted this tiny little thing and watched as he laughed through his toothless gums. I had barely spent three minutes with this child, when suddenly I began to feel an electrifying sensation running through my body. I quickly dropped the child and ran out of Mama Rita's shop.Thankfully, at this time, my mother had come to the market. I made efforts to speak to my mother, but could not. Instantly, my mother got down to praying as much as her tongue could carry her, but nothing happened. My tongue had left my mouth, deeply ensconced in my belly.

In the ensuing pandemonium, my mother walked me through the large market to "Nosamu Street", to the humble ( boy's quarter) room of " Sister Rose", a devout Church worker. Together, they engaged in several rounds of prayer. As if divinely prompted, Sister Rose reached for a bottle of anointing oil, forced my mouth open, poured a handful into me. Instantly, I felt a huge rumbling in my stomach; I felt pressed to easy myself, and hastily dashed to the toilet. As I crouched and began to ease myself, my tongue returned to my mouth.

Journey To Television

Upon graduation from the University of Port Harcourt in Theatre Arts, I served out the mandatory one year National Youth Service Programme, at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), in Lagos. In that year, two milestone events took place in my life. I secured admission to the University of Lagos to commence a Master of Science (Political Science) degree (with bias in International Relations).

Secondly, while performing an official assignment at the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) headquarters (then in Lagos) I met a man, Last Eguavoen, who in his professional judgement, felt that I fitted the character for a national soap Opera titled 'Memorial Hospital'. Mr. Eguavoen was the director of the Television Soap Opera.With initial reluctance, I accepted the invitation. My journey into television, and film , started thereon. I became a national celebrity in less than a year. I could hardly walk the streets unnoticed anymore. I got torrents of unsolicited favours. I became a 'star'. Not long after, in 1993, Bollywood was born,with the success of 'Living in Bondage' produced by Mr Ken Nnebue.

The Birth of Nollywood

Predictably, a few notable actors on television at the time- Richard More Damijo,Liz Benson, Kanayo O. Kanayo, Ramsey Noah, myself,etc,got automatic conscription into the new born " Home Video" industry. My fame and stardom soared . It was indeed like opium. The gains of stardom started flowing . Women,designer couture, lavish social indulgence, etc.Formication, lying and pride became an unmitigated addiction. Sadly, I forgot where I was coming from. I forgot what the grace of God had done for me.

The current home video compartment of the Nigerian creative industry, owes its global visibility and acceptance to the unforgettable year of the release of 'Living in Bondage'- 1993. Hitherto, pockets of locally made contents, in local languages, dotted the Nigerian entertainment landscape. However, a few well- crafted TV Soap Operas stood out. I had starred ,as a major character, on one of those.Consequently, I found myself ,along with some names like Richard More Damijo,Liz Benson,Saint Obi,Kanayo O.Kanayo, Bob Manuel Udokwu,Ndidi Obi,Sandra Achums,Regina Askia, Ejike Asiegbu,Segun Arinze, Victoria Iyama,Ronnie Dikko,Jumai Joseph effortlessly ushered into the Industry.

With this pleasant vocational foray,my appetite for carnality grew. There were Lavish Parties always, enough female admirers, easy money and flight tickets, at our disposal.

I recall that my first "alter- call" response was at the University of Port Harcourt, where during a Campus-wide crusade ,precisely at the Convocation Arena, I had stepped forward, in response to an "alter-call", after a deep cutting ministration, and yielded my life to Christ. Alas, my public confession, and acceptance of Christ at the crusade ,lasted for just a few days,as I only succeeded in securing the attention, and eventual 'relationship' of a very beautiful 'born-again' damsel,who had persistently turned down my overtures,until the strategy of presenting myself as a 'born-again' brother,finally broke her defence. How sad. It is instructive to remark ,however ,that she is today,a genuine Christian, Married with a happy family.

My second to fifth alter-call experiences were,unlike the first, intended at various times,to be for real.But ,I was too much of a " Nollywood star", to contend ,and resist, the allure of 'celebrity perks' as they presented themselves, in shades of deliberate seductions, irresistible gifts, exposure to people and places of power in Nigeria and elsewhere.

The Time was 2.30 am.

Stardom is more destructive than cocain, it consumes faster than Opium.Bitten by the bug,I lost every modicum of propriety.

Continue Reading

http://endtimethings..com/2021/01/my-fame-almost-destroyed-mebut-almighty.html

(1) (Reply)

9 Things You Should Never Post On Any Social Media At All / Please Help With Your Feedback / You Must Open This Page By Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.