Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,190 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers (51191 Views)

Sex In A Car In A Public Place Is Not A Crime In Nigeria – Police Acp / Missing Lady Escaped from Kidnappers/Ritualist After Some Days / Teenage Girls Rescued From Kidnappers In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by olapeju39759: 10:22pm On Jan 18, 2021
Life imprisonments for buying stolen car? The Judge must have channel his domestic Frustration to the case

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by TOPENSY: 11:55pm On Jan 18, 2021
No media house posted his picture
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Eagban(m): 12:07am On Jan 19, 2021
Life imprisonment for buying a stolen car is a miscarriage of justice... They should give him the punishment that is commensurate with his crime and not this injustice they are perpetrating.

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Bigpat: 2:49am On Jan 19, 2021
Malicious judgement, majority of stolen car buyers in Nigeria have never been given life imprisonment,why the Policeman?the real kidnappers just five years? to encourage kidnapping. The hatred for Police but he is a Nigerian. Human rights activist will turn their face away now. We all know majority of Judges are corrupt and they don't discharge their duties well even a kindergarten will see the flaws in the judgement. Somebody should come to his aid,it can't be that sentence. The Judge was settling a score rather, the Judge must be made to face the law for using his office wrongly, there must be more to it. Something he bought with his money or was it because he was a Police Officer? Very unfortunate for this country, many are suffering same fate in this kind of judgement from this kind of Judges

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by abdsamad(m): 3:36am On Jan 19, 2021
Madness!
Let's imprison this person for life for buying a stolen vehicle

If you support this kind of stupid law then you truly deserve all the other things the government does to oppress you.

You can't take away a man's freedom permanently for buying a stolen property. You might as well go into his house in the middle of the night and Rob him blind.

Yes he should be punished. No this isn't right

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Godstime234: 7:11am On Jan 19, 2021
Bigpat:
Malicious judgement, majority of stolen car buyers in Nigeria have never been given life imprisonment,why the Policeman?the real kidnappers just five years? to encourage kidnapping. The hatred for Police but he is a Nigerian. Human rights activist will turn their face away now. We all know majority of Judges are corrupt and they don't discharge their duties well even a kindergarten will see the flaws in the judgement. Somebody should come to his aid,it can't be that sentence. The Judge was settling a score rather, the Judge must be made to face the law for using his office wrongly, there must be more to it. Something he bought with his money or was it because he was a Police Officer? Very unfortunate for this country, many are suffering same fate in this kind of judgement from this kind of Judges

Like I said in my previous post , it was a case of beefing . From the beginning to the end. Imagine, it was his junior subordinate that went to arrest him without even hinting him. I believe police should cover cover themselves in this type of case. The man was totally innocent of this charge. It can happen to anyone. It was his mechanic that brought the Hilux to him to buy . God will see him Tru. It was just some months to his retirement when the case happen.it can also be spiritual

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Godstime234: 7:14am On Jan 19, 2021
BestOsai:

He was aware the car was stolen.The car wasnt just stolen, it was stolen during a kidnapping operation.By buying the car ,he was encouraging (aiding ) kidnapping.I know of somebody who connived with armed robbers to rob the filing station where he was working.He too hot death penalty alongside the armed robbers.The judge said that for him to know how to contract armed robbers ,he too was a robber as well.Its the same thing in this case.

Oga get your facts well, he wasn't aware. It was his mechanic that called him to ask him if he will buy a Hilux. Though it was bought at a low price but this judgement is unfair . Imagine just 3 months away to his retirement

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by CHARLOE(m): 8:13am On Jan 19, 2021
michoim:
I don't understand. The real kidnappers were sent to 5 years imprisonment while the person that just bought a stolen vehicle from the kidnappers is being sentenced to life imprisonment. How fair is that judgement?
U spoke my mind! How can d main criminals/kidnappers get just 5yrs sentence, why not give all life or even to d hang man? How can d scourge of kidnapping come to an end when d law pampers them? No stiff penalties for kidnapping and armed robbery, travelling on nigerian road is akin to walking on a mine field, with prayers n fasting. If u arrive successfully without accident due to bad road and escape kidnappers/arm robbers, u go and give testimony in church, is this normal?

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by oluwakorewale(m): 8:54am On Jan 19, 2021
Nice 1
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:04am On Jan 19, 2021
longetivity:
He should be killed instead
he should be killed while the kidnappers were given 5years imprisonment.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:06am On Jan 19, 2021
Hndrrxxx:
Live imprisonment fr wettin na??
Nigeria go just dy flex muscle wrongly

If na rape case now na just 5years the flat head go collect undecided
even the said kidnappers got 5years imprisonment. Not in support of buying stolen properties but the judgement nor make sense

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:07am On Jan 19, 2021
HenryThegreat1:
You sentenced someone to life imprisonment because he bought a stolen car?
The judgment is not OK jor.
there is something else they are not saying
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:08am On Jan 19, 2021
udemzyudex:
person wey dem go release later.
pls shut up. That how you guys said police don't investigate their officers, who investigate this case now? Now you have brought a new one, he will be released soon my ass
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:09am On Jan 19, 2021
lozanni:

The Police man deserves a heavy punishment because as an enforcer of the law, he should not be seen or heard to be aiding and abetting criminals; but life imprisonment is unfair. I think 20 years imprisonment would have been okay.
However, the kidnappers should have received more heavy sentences too, like 15 to 20 years imprisonment, to act as a deterrent to other criminally minded people.
exactly

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:12am On Jan 19, 2021
Karleb:

That makes two of us. The law even stated that if one buys a stolen vehicle it means they are aware that the vehicle is stolen.

How just is such law?
there are points to prove the case.
1. How much was the vehicle bought for? If it is way too less than it is suppose to be, you don enter be that.
2. Were you issued receipt from the original owner of the property? Or any written note to that effect? Where are the original receipts of the property?

With this two points, the case have been proven already. But the sentence nor just match at all
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:14am On Jan 19, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

Learn to read. He got life (which is fitting for an officer of the law so others will sit up) because he knew it was stolen vehicle.

Police should not get soft Judgement. Stop defending your opppressors
this is not a matter of defending oppressors, you are allowing emotions to cloud your judgement here. If you are a judge, all the people you don't like for don die finish for jail. You must give a sentence that is fitting to the crime commited
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Karleb(m): 9:15am On Jan 19, 2021
Ryan03:
there are points to prove the case.
1. How much was the vehicle bought for? If it is way too less than it is suppose to be, you don enter be that.
2. Were you issued receipt from the original owner of the property? Or any written note to that effect? Where are the original receipts of the property?

With this two points, the case have been proven already. But the sentence nor just match at all

This is exactly the issue I have with the judgement.

If we are sending buyers of stolen cars to life improvement, how would we judge a kidnapper or homicide cases?

2 Likes

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:19am On Jan 19, 2021
mansakhalifa:

I agree. The kidnappers should have gotten heavier sentences. But the other guy was a police officer.

The law ought to be heavier on the errant custodian of the law and it has rightly so been served. A deterrent is always welcome.
heavier means life in prisonment? What happens to 15 or 20yrs? Why give the actual kidnappers 5yrs? What about the mechanic that actually bought the car from the kidnappers and sold to him? The sentence too bend joor
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:19am On Jan 19, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

I don’t know about other states but Lagos states punishment for kidnappers is death, as it should be in every other state.
the kidnappers were given just 5yrs angry
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:20am On Jan 19, 2021
billyG:
This one na abortion of justice...kuku kill am...so a police prosecutor can prosecute his superior in court of law without fear or favour.
before nko
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:21am On Jan 19, 2021
BestOsai:

He was aware the car was stolen.The car wasnt just stolen, it was stolen during a kidnapping operation.By buying the car ,he was encouraging (aiding ) kidnapping.I know of somebody who connived with armed robbers to rob the filing station where he was working.He too hot death penalty alongside the armed robbers.The judge said that for him to know how to contract armed robbers ,he too was a robber as well.Its the same thing in this case.
why then were the kidnappers not given same judgement going by your narrative?
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:21am On Jan 19, 2021
glink2015:

Ha! For what now!

Even Boko Haram repentance were granted amnesty...evil politics were given a plea bargain...

Justice Onnaghen was advised to resign despite all the weighty allegations leveled against him
it's their hate for the force that keeps clouding their sense of reasoning
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:22am On Jan 19, 2021
Karleb:

This is exactly the issue I have with the judgement.

If we are sending buyers of stolen cars to life improvement, how would we judge a kidnapper or homicide cases?
there is something the judge Is not saying

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:25am On Jan 19, 2021
SenecaTheYonger:

The laws were written by man and isn't set in stone therefore can be changed. The audacity you have to quote law nonsense for me when the police often disregard the law 99% of the time. How many people are in prison without fair trial across the country? How many have died there? How many police officers have been brought to book for all the extrajudicial killings? I prefer if every erring officer gets hanged. So this judge was merciful in my book
going by what you type, it means the statement that everyone is equal before the law is not applicable to the police. That means their excesses should also be condone because they are not bounded by the law
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:27am On Jan 19, 2021
Fembleez1:

The law fix you with the knowledge that once you buy it, you know everything about it before paying for it. That is, you paid for it after carrying out due investigation into how the owner came about the property.

There's nothing unjust in that law sir.

However, there are defences if the owner so conceal his fraud, that prevents you from finding out his fraudulent act.

It must be noted sir, this is a case with extraordinary circumstance. This case involves an officer of the law. He has all the resources to know how the vehicle came into being, but he ignored it.

Plus sir, it was stated he knew it was stolen.

On the issue of unfair or imbalance sentence of the court. I can't comment fully on that, I haven't commit to reading about sentencing in general. But there is what is called Plea Bargaining, it is enshrined in Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015. Where a criminal can "cooperate" with the court in investigation for a lesser sentence. I believe this is what played out here with the Sentence.

NB:- My long essay is somewhat focused on this Plea Bargaining. I don't like the concept. Though there's argument it helps the court or judiciary to easily and timely dispense a case.

If you want to buy a land from me, won't you care whether I have the right to sell? Which other of my family might be entitled to the land? How I came about the land? Is it family property or individual ownership or community owned? Who was the first occupier of the land? Family descent? Is it a virgin land? ETC

I'm open to corrections Sir! smiley
you are very correct. My argument is with the sentence. Yes he should receive higher punishment but life imprisonment? Ah!

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:32am On Jan 19, 2021
Bigpat:
judgement based on sentiment, no other word to describe it. All those human rights activists will not see this one now, BECAUSE HE IS A POLICE OFFICER! I pity any officer when they carry police work for head, working for those who don't like you.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:33am On Jan 19, 2021
Godstime234:

Like I said in my previous post , it was a case of beefing . From the beginning to the end. Imagine, it was his junior subordinate that went to arrest him without even hinting him. I believe police should cover cover themselves in this type of case. The man was totally innocent of this charge. It can happen to anyone. It was his mechanic that brought the Hilux to him to buy . God will see him Tru. It was just some months to his retirement when the case happen.it can also be spiritual
when police cover up their selves, it make others to indulge in the same act. I like the fact that he was punished but this is a completely unfair judgement
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by alloy123: 9:35am On Jan 19, 2021
set-up a Police-man of the law? NO NO NO
KAHBOOM:
Set up
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Fembleez1(m): 9:41am On Jan 19, 2021
Ryan03:
you are very correct. My argument is with the sentence. Yes he should receive higher punishment but life imprisonment? Ah!

Good morning Sir. Thank you sir.

Only reading the full case and getting to know the Reason for the Decision of the court can make us understand why such a Sentence.

The case will probably go on Appeal, if the Officer's lawyer knows his job.
Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by Ryan03(f): 9:44am On Jan 19, 2021
Fembleez1:

Good morning Sir. Thank you sir.

Only reading the full case and getting to know the Reason for the Decision of the court can make us understand why such a Sentence.

The case will probably go on Appeal, if the Officer's lawyer knows his job.
he better appeal o, cause I am not understanding this kind judgement

1 Like

Re: ACP Okubo Aboye Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Buying A Car From Kidnappers by nurain150(m): 10:46am On Jan 19, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of The Police Officers Sentenced To Death Over Apo Six Killings / Man To Die By Hanging After Killing His Girlfriend In Yobe (Graphic Photos) / Woman's Husband Poured Hot Water Into Her Private Parts In Kenya (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.