Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,593 members, 7,816,462 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help (22025 Views)

How Do I Eject This Tenant? / Our Landlord Is Torturing Us / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by SmartPolician: 5:34am On Jan 20, 2021
kunkelhanspeter:
All this heartless wicked igbo landlord

You Nairaland lots have completely lost it.

I think you should visit a town called Alagbole in Ogun State to find out how Baba Kazeem and Madam Olusola Beckley treat their various tenants. Even agents will discourage you from living in their houses.

Nigerian landlords are almost the same and have nothing to do with tribe.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Dozie32(m): 5:34am On Jan 20, 2021
chumakk:
It is a valid reason if you are having more than 5 to 10 visitors per week.
.it's none of his fucking business bro..if he likes let him have the whole if Anambra people in his flat. Nothing concern am, some landlords are wicked.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by gistray: 5:37am On Jan 20, 2021
Uzohendris:
If you pay Ur rent yearly, you are entitled to 6months! Don't act ignorant oh

You sold fake Netflix to me that lasted only 1 week and u claim is 1 year
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Africankel(m): 5:41am On Jan 20, 2021
Lol. Dem never born the landlord wey go try this with me.

The Notice of Quit is illegal, null and void. Ignore it. When it expires, let him go to court. Don't bother making the first move.

If he tries to evict you forcefully without first taking you to court and securing judgement. Arrest him and take him to court at this point.

Again, ignore this notice of quit. IT IS NULL AND VOID.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by BarrSly: 5:44am On Jan 20, 2021
Sue the bastard!!!! What are you waiting for?
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by WilliamsDeGreat: 5:47am On Jan 20, 2021
loosecanon50:
In most cases, living in the same compound with your landlord/landlady never ends well. They will see you as their last born child. On the other hand, if there is an agreement to the effect of having certain number of visitors for a certain period of time, then you're wrong. No be you go pack shit comot when soakaway Don full undecided

Not true. My landlord stays in same compound as us tenants and niggaa is super cool asf. Has never for one day bothered anyone. He is old though and very quiet

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by loosecanon50(m): 5:48am On Jan 20, 2021
WilliamsDeGreat:

Not true. My landlord stays in same compound as us tenants and niggaa is super cool asf. Has never for one day bothered anyone. He is old though and very quiet

Read up. I said "in most cases". Not all cases

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by redcliff: 5:52am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:
I paid 12 months house rent to a landlord here in Anambra on the 18th of November with an agreement to pack into the house on December.

We packed into the house on the 10th of December only for the landlord to come back today and issued us a one month quit notice.

I visited him to know his reasons for the illegal eviction and he claimed that he saw more than me and my wife in the building.

I asked him for a refund and he said he will deduct the one month I have stayed and the extra one month that he gave me to look for another house.

Nigerians, is it a crime to have other visitors in a building you paid for all the rooms

you have an existing contract, it can only be terminated when it expires or when you do not pay your rent. However, in the event that you landlord wants to boot you out within the period of your contract is illegal, that is one, he is also supposed to give you a notice to quit for 6 months. Just get a lawyer to reply him. Also, you did not tell us how many visitors you brought in and how long they stayed. What does your contract say about visitors?

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by bluefilm: 5:55am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:
I paid 12 months house rent to a landlord here in Anambra on the 18th of November with an agreement to pack into the house on December.

We packed into the house on the 10th of December only for the landlord to come back today and issued us a one month quit notice.

I visited him to know his reasons for the illegal eviction and he claimed that he saw more than me and my wife in the building.

I asked him for a refund and he said he will deduct the one month I have stayed and the extra one month that he gave me to look for another house.

Nigerians, is it a crime to have other visitors in a building you paid for all the rooms

Are you sure they are just ordinary visitors or are they squatting visitors?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by akindele214(m): 6:01am On Jan 20, 2021
We would like to invite you to be one of the early members to sign up on our online social platform. ForNow is the new Twitter for Africa and also allows you to earn money whilst using the platform through referrals, you can also upload your music for free instead of paying bloggers and monetizing your content which will be added soon. Please visit Fornow.me to get started. We look forward to having you on our platform
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Enyimbamercedes: 6:03am On Jan 20, 2021
Absorb your losses and move! You really do not want to stay in a property with such a landlord BUT surely you’ve got to pay him back some way and I will tell you.

Buy some fresh prawns and mackerel and put them in discrete locations; inside the curtail railings, tuck them behind the wardrobes and inside any cavities in the roof if you can manage that.

Let’s just say, no new tenant will not be moving in anytime soon

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by ugwumichael(m): 6:10am On Jan 20, 2021
Enyimbamercedes:
Absorb your losses and move! You really do not want to stay in a property with such a landlord BUT surely you’ve got to pay him back some way and I will tell you.

Buy some fresh prawns and mackerel and put them in discrete locations; inside the curtail railings, tuck them behind the wardrobes and inside any cavities in the roof if you can manage that.

Let’s just say, no new tenant will not be moving in anytime soon
shocked shocked shocked shocked[left][/left]

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by YorubaPrince: 6:31am On Jan 20, 2021
tongue
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by golddare: 6:34am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:

Get a lawyer, get acquainted with tenancy laws, print a copy for your landlord. A one-year (or above) tenancy will require at least a notice of 6 months.

He must give you 11 months refund and also give you till June to get another accommodation.

To pursue tenants for your house no dey easy especially if the tenants sabi law.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by goshen26: 6:37am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:

Get a lawyer, cos I don't see anything wrong in having visitors
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Qoko: 6:37am On Jan 20, 2021
Oga, don’t ask anyone rhetorical questions, it’s better for u to consult a good lawyer in your family and leave that house for peace to reign in future before u started loosing ur family and properties, short words is enough.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by wunmi590(m): 7:00am On Jan 20, 2021
miniziter:
You have not told us how many visitors you came with o. Sometimes, it is good to be proactive and be painted a wicked landlord than allowing shit to happen. Nigerian are fond of telling the world about the bad their landlord is doing but hide theirs under the carpet. Biko its not easy to build o.

Forget the shit you wrote up there.

How has bringing in visitor to say hi or hello to you become a crime to eject him from the apartment.

So you mean his family member can't come and say hi or hello to him?

Can you accept such, stop defending what is not justifiable, this is 2021

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by SenecaTheYonger: 7:01am On Jan 20, 2021
Let's hear the landlords part of the story.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by holywind(m): 7:08am On Jan 20, 2021
it depends the on agreement both of you have, maybe he told you that he don't want many people in his house and you adamantly agreed, when i want to rent the house where i corrently live, my landlord told me the same thing that he don't want many people in his house, i clearly told him that am not the only child of my parents, i have brothers and sisters though all married with family except the last born who was in school then, but any of them can come to visit at any time, especially the last one, that one might spend weeks or even months, depends, you know how nigeria system of education is, strike every now and then, therefore i cannot send any of them out when they come, that to live in his house is not a garantee to separate from your family members, and when you are in trouble, you will still call the same family members. we clearlify everything to each one then had our agreement.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by sammirano: 7:11am On Jan 20, 2021
Igbos hating igbos. No new thing here.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 20, 2021
He can't give you one month quite notice if you paid for 12 months. Is he mad? You should have a minimum of 6 months, please goto court.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Okortor: 7:22am On Jan 20, 2021
U need not to be afraid... Tell him to give a atleast 6month notice because you paid him a year rent. However he is also gonna refund u fully because he initiated d eviction untimely..and if he insist, just get a good lawyer and watch him come begging..bro u av got no case. Just relax. Gone are dose days when landlords eject tenant anyhow. Can't happen now if you know your right except u don't.
Have a great day
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Okortor: 7:25am On Jan 20, 2021
Dis has nothing to do with tribe...it happens very well also in d west. So stop making igbo look bad.
sammirano:
Igbos hating igbos. No new thing here.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by ubola: 7:27am On Jan 20, 2021
LagBlogger:

You are wrong. The terms of the agreement supercedes the tenancy law if there is a stated period for quit notice. The 6 months only applies where one is not stated.
From the write up, the op didn't state any written agreement with the Landlord, so verbal agreement does not hold water in the court of law. As a yearly tenant he is entitled to 6 months quit notice, after which he gets 7 days, then court summons. At the court he could still get 3 more months if he Insist before vacating. Av personally dealt with some ignorant landlords this way, even when they asked me to pay messon's profit for the period we spent in court, the magistrate asked them to get the property first before arguing for money. That's how I eloped.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Okortor: 7:30am On Jan 20, 2021
Diabolical? Well u r right as most landlords are known for that, back den while I was a tenant, I had issue with d landlord regarding d party I had one time and after that he fought me and threatened to kill me which he made public of which d whole landlords and cda in d area fears him so much..I just kept mute, went to God in prayers , informed my mum who was a prayer warrior, trust me , she prayed and fasted and gave him 7days, to God who made me, the landlord died on d 5th day, till I packed out, his wife n kids never came close to me..lol...because de knew d threat deir fada gave which bounced back .. except you don't know your God, that's when evil powers will succeed over you and make sure your hands are clean..
Dozie32:
Take him to Court. Bet me you will live there for 2 years without paying for house rent, but make sure your landlord is not diabolical, because he might go extra mile to eliminate your entire household. Because from what am seeing, this your landlord is an evil man. He doesn't want his tenants progress. Its better you pack out if am being asked. God will surely see you through baba.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Uzohendris: 7:31am On Jan 20, 2021
gistray:

You sold fake Netflix to me that lasted only 1 week and u claim is 1 year
Oga if I did, then pleas drop your evidence before you come here to start saying nonsense
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by ipobarethieves: 7:32am On Jan 20, 2021
Ipob mata sad. Leave his house in peace not piece b4 he cripple u diabolically
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Sachiopropty(m): 7:32am On Jan 20, 2021
Get a property Lawyer for advice

Sell your property with us now we will help you reach more people and sales.

Post now on www.sachiong.com
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Minjim: 7:35am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:

You may not even need a lawyer.

All you need is know your rights.

https://www.mondaq.com/nigeria/landlord-tenant--leases/664400/landlord39s-and-tenant39s-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=Half-yearly%20tenancy%20–%203%20months,6%20months'%20notice%20to%20quit.

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by olufadeke86267: 7:43am On Jan 20, 2021
Ipob mata . Leave his house in peace not piece b4 he cripple u diabolically
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by AlphaBeta130: 7:47am On Jan 20, 2021
please guys i lost 8k and i have been going crazy. please someone should help me with anything.
twozero9zero2783nine zero UBA. God bless the giver immensely.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Land Title: Excision What Does It Mean(MR LAWYER HELP US B4 WE ARE BEEN DUPED) / CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN OF 4bedroom Duplex With 2bedroom 2flat Attach IN LAGOS / Enugu State Government Demolishes Properties Encroaching On Road Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.