Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,190 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help (22023 Views)

How Do I Eject This Tenant? / Our Landlord Is Torturing Us / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Dozie32(m): 7:47am On Jan 20, 2021
Okortor:
Diabolical? Well u r right as most landlords are known for that, back den while I was a tenant, I had issue with d landlord regarding d party I had one time and after that he fought me and threatened to kill me which he made public of which d whole landlords and cda in d area fears him so much..I just kept mute, went to God in prayers , informed my mum who was a prayer warrior, trust me , she prayed and fasted and gave him 7days, to God who made me, the landlord died on d 5th day, till I packed out, his wife n kids never came close to me..lol...because de knew d threat deir fada gave which bounced back .. except you don't know your God, that's when evil powers will succeed over you and make sure your hands are clean..

You're right my brother.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by myright: 7:54am On Jan 20, 2021
The house is not yours. So, pack!
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by mechanics(m): 7:55am On Jan 20, 2021
For you to bring visitors into your room should not be his business, but since he has shown his true colour, take your balance and look for a better place.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:56am On Jan 20, 2021
Did you sign tenancy agreement with him.
If you did, was it contained there that you should not bring a visitor or a particular number of visitors to come at a time?
You didn't tell us how many visitors you brought.
I had a grand Aunty who had the most funny tenancy agreement.
No generator, no family of more than 4kids.
If you have 2cars you will park one inside and let those who have one park their and if there's more space left, then you can park in if not, you will park on the road.
During dry season when the well goes down, there's time when everyone comes out to fetch a particular continue of water so that every family can have a little water to manage before going to buy more.
You must contribute money every month for cleaning of the compound.
You must not bang the doors.
You must not bring prayer warriors for all night.
You must not bring someone to squote without letting her know. If you are a single guy, you must not be the type that bring other friends to share flat with.
So when you read the agreement and you don't like it, then don't pay. She always tell you to go through the agreement before paying.
Yes she was among the landladies that never added money to her house rent till she died. While others were collecting 1k for 3bedroom flat, she was collecing 6k and 4k for the down floor. Her tenants no dey even commot.
Sometimes when looking for accommodation, it's not every house that you should settle for. People like me that like privacy, will not like a compoud with plenty tenants.
I can't sleep in a noisy environment so I won't like where I have a neighbor who puts gen all through the night. Can't even go to a house where there's a church that operates all night every day of the week.

However, if he didn't give you any tenancy agreement to sign and he didn't even mention how many visitors you are allowed to have, seek legal advice how to get all your money back including agency and lawyer fees and all those unncessary fees some landlords collect from people.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Goddy4all(m): 8:01am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:
I paid 12 months house rent to a landlord here in Anambra on the 18th of November with an agreement to pack into the house on December.

We packed into the house on the 10th of December only for the landlord to come back today and issued us a one month quit notice.

I visited him to know his reasons for the illegal eviction and he claimed that he saw more than me and my wife in the building.

I asked him for a refund and he said he will deduct the one month I have stayed and the extra one month that he gave me to look for another house.

Nigerians, is it a crime to have other visitors in a building you paid for all the rooms

This is Nigeria were anything goes undecided grin
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:03am On Jan 20, 2021
DeathToBEGGARS:
my issue with you nigerians is that you willnever say exactly what happened. e sure me say this particular visitor is the nuisance type. the type that will be making noise or smking or trying to Bleep tenents. you will never say that o. you will just say the side that makes u looks nice.
on the other hand, u might bring him to stay as a bro or a friend but u come here to paint it nice.
this is naija we know how things do.
Most Nigerians don't know what some landlords go through in the hands of tenants until they become one. Even some tenants park out because of some annoying fellow tenants. There use to be this guy staying on the first floor and we where right on the next floor above him. When he places music in his flat,the whole building will be vibrating. Such that if you are on the bed, it will sound as if his speakers are inside your body. I knock at his door every now and then to reduce his music.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:07am On Jan 20, 2021
holywind:
it depends the on agreement both of you have, maybe he told you that he don't want many people in his house and you adamantly agreed, when i want to rent the house where i corrently live, my landlord told me the same thing that he don't want many people in his house, i clearly told him that am not the only child of my parents, i have brothers and sisters though all married with family except the last born who was in school then, but any of them can come to visit at any time, especially the last one, that one might spend weeks or even months, depends, you know how nigeria system of education is, strike every now and then, therefore i cannot send any of them out when they come, that to live in his house is not a garantee to separate from your family members, and when you are in trouble, you will still call the same family members. we clearlify everything to each one then had our agreement.
And that's how it should be. One has to clearify everything before they start paying so that you don't start having issues with landlord. Some people will agree to everything and go ahead to pay and then come back to complain later.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Bosss73: 8:07am On Jan 20, 2021
U fight the landlord...??why the torn quit notice.?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:11am On Jan 20, 2021
scholes23:
Maka Why

Bro u have done nothing wrong. U even did the right thing by asking for a refund.. if he refuses, contact ur lawyer.

Do you know a reputable lawyer that can fight the case? I have gotten another place and I'm moving out today however, I want him to know that what he did illegal.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:12am On Jan 20, 2021
favour32:
Na wao.
You don't give a month notice to a tenant that pays a year's rent.

We have only stayed one month, yet he deducted 2 months rent and even 5k for NEPA bill, we started using NEPA there on 27th of December
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:13am On Jan 20, 2021
Kennyfancy:
Tell him to give u ur agent and caution fee as well as every little money you spend, then if he refused, you can sue him

He has refused to refund fully. How do I go about suing him? I wouldn't like this done to other tenants in the future.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2021
loosecanon50:
In most cases, living in the same compound with your landlord/landlady never ends well. They will see you as their last born child. On the other hand, if there is an agreement to the effect of having certain number of visitors for a certain period of time, then you're wrong. No be you go pack shit comot when soakaway Don full undecided

We don't live in the same place. I paid for all the rooms in the house
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by miniziter(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2021
wunmi590:

Forget the shit you wrote up there.

How has bringing in visitor to say hi or hello to you become a crime to eject him from the apartment.

So you mean his family member can't come and say hi or hello to him?

Can you accept such, stop defending what is not justifiable, this is 2021
If I tell you what my tenants has done to me in the past all in the name of bringing visitors eh, you won't believe it.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:15am On Jan 20, 2021
miniziter:
You have not told us how many visitors you came with o. Sometimes, it is good to be proactive and be painted a wicked landlord than allowing shit to happen. Nigerian are fond of telling the world about the bad their landlord is doing but hide theirs under the carpet. Biko its not easy to build o.

Oga, it was only 2 people that haven't even stayed up to 1 week.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:16am On Jan 20, 2021
livebyday:
You should take this to court. Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement? Does it state clearly you cant have visitors?

It was never stated.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by miniziter(m): 8:17am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:

Oga, it was only 2 people that haven't even stayed up to 1 week.
Hmmm.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:17am On Jan 20, 2021
Kobicove:
Maybe you sublet some of the rooms and the landlord is not having any of that... tell us the truth

Maybe you brought all your apprentices to come live with you undecided

I didn't sublet any of the room to anyone. If you pay for a house and you have families, they can't come to stay with you temporarily ?
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Tony142: 8:20am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:
I paid 12 months house rent to a landlord here in Anambra on the 18th of November with an agreement to pack into the house on December.

We packed into the house on the 10th of December only for the landlord to come back today and issued us a one month quit notice.

I visited him to know his reasons for the illegal eviction and he claimed that he saw more than me and my wife in the building.

I asked him for a refund and he said he will deduct the one month I have stayed and the extra one month that he gave me to look for another house.

Nigerians, is it a crime to have other visitors in a building you paid for all the rooms

The 1st rule of renting a house is that "Do not rent a house that the landlord is living there"

if u want to have peace of mind, go and rent a house where the landlord is not living there

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Liftkid(m): 8:22am On Jan 20, 2021
DeathToBEGGARS:
my issue with you nigerians is that you willnever say exactly what happened. e sure me say this particular visitor is the nuisance type. the type that will be making noise or smking or trying to Bleep tenents. you will never say that o. you will just say the side that makes u looks nice.
on the other hand, u might bring him to stay as a bro or a friend but u come here to paint it nice.
this is naija we know how things do.

oga, we are the only one living in the whole building and the vistors are not nuisance, we hardly stay at home.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by emi1000(f): 8:22am On Jan 20, 2021
Definitely I know that, but obviously the terms didn't state the op would be given a one month quit notice whenever he breaches the agreement, if not the op would have mentioned it, the terms I meant initially was bringing in visitors when the landlord stated in the agreement that he shouldn't
LagBlogger:

You are wrong. The terms of the agreement supercedes the tenancy law if there is a stated period for quit notice. The 6 months only applies where one is not stated.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by harmony75: 8:33am On Jan 20, 2021
this one too na landlord? pls collect your money look for more peaceful place
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Lastmankc(m): 8:39am On Jan 20, 2021
servicesales:
bad

check my post

Hi guys making money is not easy, imagine you can
Build a website(social media, ecommerce, blog etc)
SEO
Online marketing
Build a form for data entry
Extract or analyse data
All the above to do it by yourself , I want to teach people "Do it your self" you never know when this knowledge will help you
Teach me
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by bejeria101(m): 8:46am On Jan 20, 2021
Ekehwinz:
Get a competent lawyer to reply him back
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by AFONJACOW(m): 8:55am On Jan 20, 2021
Before I built mine, i don't like to live in a house the landlord, landlady, landsons , land-daughters, land-relatives or caretaker live , if I must deal, I deal directly with the lawyer, most especially when ur landlord is living abroad and live his property to lawyer and the lawyer come be guy man, u go enjoy that house tire
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Rexnegro(m): 9:19am On Jan 20, 2021
emi1000:
Giving you quit notice for breaching the tenancy agreement is one thing, and quitting you the right way is another, you are a yearly tenant, you deserve at least 6 months notice, and the 6 months notice has a particular time to be issued, however this is Nigeria, we barely follow laws here

When quoting or explaining tenancy laws do it fully except you don't know that even the 6months is not free. because most landlords or landlady don't bother to collect the rent for the 6months or 3months depending on the duration rented doesn't mean the tenant is entitled to free stay for that period. It's only a period given by tenancy laws of govt for you to look for another apartment and you have to pay for it as well.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Layomiexclusive: 9:21am On Jan 20, 2021
You cannot give a month notice for an yearly based rent. he can only give you 6 months notice starting from May to October.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by lipstick2(f): 9:26am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:

Some House owners are just devil in human skin.

My cousin's experience with her so-called landlady is worth doing a book on.

A landlady that will tell you
*Live with pple cos she doesn't want her facilities spoilt in a house you refurbished and still paid rent.

*Not to Play music,

*Not to pray loud or invite Prayer people to your house

*When she sees you talking to other tenants she
concludes you pple are talking about her.

*Goes around telling other tenants that she went somewhere and they told her you are a witch and she now begins to fight you.

For sometime,we greet the woman and she will not answer,so one of those days,we were removing things from the car and she came in,we choruses a greeting and she replied that we should stop greeting her...see me o,I no kuku like waste my greeting for bad people,so I am happy.

If she sees me entering the gate and she is coming,she will run back and when she eventually passes,she will bang the gate...see person.

Guy take ur landlord to your lawyer.Read the agreement he gave u well and see if there is anywhere it is written that you should not have pple live with u,than start ur own fight.

These wicked landlords/ladies needs to be taught a bad lesson.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by Maobichek: 9:28am On Jan 20, 2021
loosecanon50:
In most cases, living in the same compound with your landlord/landlady never ends well. They will see you as their last born child. On the other hand, if there is an agreement to the effect of having certain number of visitors for a certain period of time, then you're wrong. No be you go pack shit comot when soakaway Don full undecided

Some landlords are something else, after my service year, I joined my brother at First Artillery PHC, just two weeks with my brother, the landlord called me and told me that the receipt of the rent bore the name of my brother and not mine, that I should leave the house. I thought it was a joke but he was dead serious, thank God I later secured a house at Market junction, Rumumasi.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by favour32(m): 9:30am On Jan 20, 2021
Liftkid:

We have only stayed one month, yet he deducted 2 months rent and even 5k for NEPA bill, we started using NEPA there on 27th of December
Fight back through legal means.
A yearly tenant is entitled to six months notice.
Re: My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help by SeriouslySense(m): 9:35am On Jan 20, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy I learned from the comments, some very experienced comments, nice one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Land Title: Excision What Does It Mean(MR LAWYER HELP US B4 WE ARE BEEN DUPED) / CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN OF 4bedroom Duplex With 2bedroom 2flat Attach IN LAGOS / Enugu State Government Demolishes Properties Encroaching On Road Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.