Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,072 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega (11038 Views)

Biafra: Kanu’s Trial Postponed Till April 5 / Buhari Postpones Emergency FEC Meeting Till Monday / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele (2) (3) (4)

Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by abasifo(m): 2:55pm On Apr 02, 2011
The general elections for the National Assembly have been sensationally postponed across all the states in the Federation until Monday 4th April.

In a statement by the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) chairman, Attahiru Jega, an "unprecedented late arrival of result sheets" was the reason for the postponement.

Mr. Jega was quick to apologise to the millions of voters who had turned out as early as 6am and said he "deeply regrets" the shift in date.

He blamed unspecified vendors for the late arrival of the material which only reached Abuja at 9am on Saturday. According to Mr. Jega, the vendors equally blamed the situation in Japan for compelling them to divert the supply of result sheets.

The INEC chairman said that the lack of ballot papers was not really the issue but that it was the complete absence of results sheets in the 36 states that forced the postponement.

He could not comment on whether Monday 4th April would now be a public holiday but said that he expected the authorities would make an announcement imminently.

Mr. Jega expressed his confidence that there would be no further delays to the process because all electoral material had now arrived in the country.

Poor start

The elections had not started well as thousands of polling booths reported the late arrival of electoral material and INEC officials.

In Plateau, the Resident Electoral Commissioner, Habu Hinna Zarma, revealed that almost 2 and a half million ballot papers failed to arrive in the state.

In Gombe, an administrative error saw gubernatorial electoral material sent to the state instead of National Assembly ballot papers.

Many polling booths in Abuja only received ballot papers for the House of Assemble and not for the Senate.

SORCE: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5686997-146/elections_postponed_until_monday__.csp
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Limaoscar: 2:56pm On Apr 02, 2011
Now let the rigging begins!!!

You no easy o!! shocked shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Adeoladada: 3:01pm On Apr 02, 2011
@ OPALU, you said buhari has no single house in Abuja after controlling billions of Naira,AND U EXPECT ME TO VOTE FOR SUCH CANDIDATE? HE HAS NO PLAN FOR HIMSELF,HE HAS NO FUTURE,HE CANT BE OUR PRESIDENT.
NOW TELL ME, WHAT DID HE USE HIS MULTIMILLION SALARY TO DO?EVEN AN OIL WORKERS HAVE A HOUSE IN ABUJA NOT TO TALK OF PRESIDENT.
HE HAS NO FUTURE,NO GOAL,SO WASTFULL.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by efisher(m): 3:02pm On Apr 02, 2011
Can we think of any quick controls they come up with in 2 days?

Some ideas for starters.

1. They can make a special security bar code and attach / stamp it on each ballot paper. But 2 days will not be enough for this.
2. Modify the voting process by adopting a more open system. The ballot boxes will be displayed in the full glare of everybody and voting will be done in the open. Accreditation and voting should be done simultaneously. A clear radius could be created around the boxes and people can go one at a time (unaccompanied) to the box where they will thumb-print and drop the ballot paper in the box. No thumb-printing till you get to the ballot box. However, this will only be easily achieved in a very open space and with a lot of security.

Ultimately I guess if there are too many reports of missing or compromised ballot papers, the election may have to be moved further.

Please any more suggestions should be contributed. The country needs us to think now.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 02, 2011
This once again arouses my suspicion that corruption might not be our biggest problem as a country; our biggest problem might just be nothing more than INCOMPETENCE. Even where competent leaders are indeed corrupt, their competence makes things work at least and deflects attention from their corruption (e.g Lagos under Fashola and Cross River under Donald Duke). On the other hand, supposed incorruptibility without demonstrable competence leads to stagnation and outright failure (e.g. Nigeria under Shagari, Katsina state under Yar'Adua. . .and now, unfortunately, INEC under Jega!).

All the so-called professors and intellectuals - Aganga, Soludo, Okonjo-Iweala, Jega etc. are not exempted from this shameful national incompetence. All they do is 'blow' useless grammar that does not produce VISIBLE results that leads to EVIDENT progress and development for this sorry country. Now the elections are here, and despite all the billions spent, and all the time in the world they had to prepare for it, these fools are coming out to tell us about a cancellation and postponement!

When (if ever) shall we overcome this embarrassing national incompetence and start getting things right as a country? Sad.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by FLYBOY(m): 3:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
What a scam,
and my people are falling for it.  
Do you think you just go to an airport, hire a  cargo plane, OYA DROP!!!!!!

These are booked months in advance.

Ok, papers came in at 9am this morning, YET you let accreditation and voting go on!!!

I laugh, YES WE ARE FOOLS
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by aribisala0(m): 3:08pm On Apr 02, 2011
juman:

One Nigeria = Waste of time

How come a country election could be delayed by no plane to deliver the result sheat and some other election materials?

well, they used the money to buy a presidential jet.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by soochukwu(m): 3:11pm On Apr 02, 2011
This is a clear signal that the first phase of the National election is already a flop,obviously the election materials are already in the hands of people who will rig the election.Jega was the wrong choice for this election.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nsiman(m): 3:14pm On Apr 02, 2011
So inec can starve me rubbishly. Who planned the elections? For how long was it planned? Why the late arrival of materials? How prepared is inec in 2011 elections?
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by eghost247(m): 3:16pm On Apr 02, 2011
Only in Nigeria
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by aribisala0(m): 3:18pm On Apr 02, 2011
pro01:

This once again arouses my suspicion that corruption might not be our biggest problem as a country; our biggest problem might just be nothing more than INCOMPETENCE. Even where competent leaders are indeed corrupt, their competence makes things work at least and deflects attention from their corruption (e.g Lagos under Fashola and Cross River under Donald Duke). On the other hand, supposed incorruptibility without demonstrable competence leads to stagnation and outright failure (e.g. Nigeria under Shagari, Katsina state under Yar'Adua. . .and now, unfortunately, INEC under Jega!).

All the so-called professors and intellectuals - Aganga, Soludo, Okonjo-Iweala, Jega etc. are not exempted from this shameful national incompetence. All they do is 'blow' useless grammar that does not produce VISIBLE results that leads to EVIDENT progress and development for this sorry country. Now the elections are here, and despite all the billions spent, and all the time in the world they had to prepare for it, these fools are coming out to tell us about a cancellation and postponement!

When (if ever) shall we overcome this embarrassing national incompetence and start getting things right as a country? Sad.

well the incompetence thing is known to all. it is a culture that develops over generations. we saw it with the ikeja bomb blast. at gej  port harcourt campaign stampede to name a few examples. soon our christian and moslem brothers will appear and tell us it was not the will of god  for the election to hold today,who knows what would have happened if it had taken place etc. if a simple thing like a wedding has a rehearsal so i do not understand how any sensible person can expect such a huge operation to take place without a hitch and so not do a trial run.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by sowetto(m): 3:19pm On Apr 02, 2011
guys we have to remain optimistic because this is part of the sacrifice we are paying for our democracy to grow, one thing is certain and that is THIS ELECTION MUST BE DIFFERENT.
change is in the air.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Azedplus(m): 3:19pm On Apr 02, 2011
some analyst are calling on him to merge the national assembly with the pres. and gov. instead of the unrealistic monday. am in support of this since most electorate did not even to out for this en masse people are interested in pres. and gov. i just hope he has a plan B.anyways i never expect much from a People Destroxing Peoples party.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by manmustwac(m): 3:20pm On Apr 02, 2011
Would you guys believe that I sent a text yesterday saying as an April Fools day joke that the elections have been cancelled.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Allta(m): 3:21pm On Apr 02, 2011
9ice, just enough time to photocopy ballot papers and rig ballot boxes on various dinning tables.

A day will come when Nigeria will stage a free, fair and delay free election, perhaps not in this generation.

Allta
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by opalu: 3:22pm On Apr 02, 2011
;d ;d

Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Ejisz: 3:31pm On Apr 02, 2011
jega has failed nigerians,by not proving dat he is capable of making things right.but a man's success is sometimes measured by his failures.my people there is still hope,trust me.jega already knows he just entered one chance,and he will also want to show nigerians dat he is capable.watch out.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 02, 2011
jega has failed!. didn't he see this logistic problem yesterday? way would he postpone when the election is already going on
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by vwvw(m): 3:45pm On Apr 02, 2011
cheesy wink funny that i covered the republic of benin presidential election and when the poll was
postponed twice; i laughed and this is BANANA REPUBLIC, not knowing
that it will be mirrored in Nigeria, even a monday postponment will not handle this mess.
o ooo what a country
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by phoneworks: 3:46pm On Apr 02, 2011
Jega has been on media telling us that he is ready for the election. What is the meaning of this readiness? Is it being ready to disapoint Nigerians? He should mind his intergrity.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by ibadanchap: 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2011
What happens at the areas where voting /accreditation has already taken place? Are there extra results sheets or/and ballot papers for use on Monday? Jega said there is nowhere election had taken place. That is not correct. I hope we will not have stories on Monday again!
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Gayigaskia(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2011
I wonder oh,nothing has never worked in Nigeria why? So wait a minute,the ballot papers are not printed in Nigeria?Niger Republic print their ballot papers at home in Niamey and Niger doesn't have a AIR Force and Niger is bigger area wise than Nigeria WTF . So were the lessons from the last INEC? This is a joke I myself as junior project manager here in the US can do better than this, abeg a little software can plan organize the executables to guaranty success of this kind of projects, I'm really pissed at the level of backwardness this country called Nigeria is engulfed in. Really this is a failure and a shame for every Nigerian cause we keep proving our enemies right.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Rossikk(m): 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2011
eghost said:

Only in Nigeria

You should try Afghanistan, Libya, and Saudi Arabia where free and fair elections are held regularly and on time. Goat.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by mcgboye(m): 3:53pm On Apr 02, 2011
Well, I'm sick of making excuses for public office holders. A week ago, while addressing stakeholders at a forum, Jega emphatically declared that INEC was ready for the elections. I mean, this guy was appointed like 9 months ago, and unlike many of his predecessors, he's enjoyed d confidence of d opposition and every Nigerian. We all sensed somethin good could come out of dis elections. Well, if d shabby re-election in Delta didnt arouse our doubt, today's misnomer definitely has. It seems he's just realised d enormity of d task at hand. Honestly, I really hope, for d sake of Nigerians, than things improve. Jega has failed his first real BIG test. Let's pray n hope his team gets it right. We all need him to get it right. If he fails (again), we have all failed.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Kristaz(m): 3:55pm On Apr 02, 2011
Let us not crucify Prof Jega,There is still hope as there is light at the end of every dark tunnel,Let  us exercise a little patience and do a little sacrifice for this country,Vote GEJ next Saturday,
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by vwvw(m): 4:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
Let us not crucify Prof Jega,There is still hope as there is light at the end of every dark tunnel,Let us exercise a little patience and do a little sacrifice for this country,Vote GEJ next Saturday,

I beg your pardon; he represents the mediocrity that has shone up today
The bulk of this transgression lies o GEJs table
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by otokx(m): 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2011
You guys are not seeing the bigger picture; my director was meant to fly in from Lagos on Monday now we have re booked for Wednesday. Many of our international speakers simply shunned conferences in Nigeria for the months of April and May. Other people either flying out or in during this next 2 days will be in total confusion by now.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by carveafrik: 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2011
if only NATO and the coalition group will spear just 3weeks to help us monitor our elections. Its obvious we cant organize to elect ourselves out of this corrupt predicament PDP has engulfed us in.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by oderemo(m): 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2011
You should try Afghanistan, Libya, and Saudi Arabia where free and fair elections are held regularly and on time. Goat.
you never stopped to amaze, think you are uncle jega.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 02, 2011
The complexity and intricacies of organizing a nationwide election is definately nothing to be sneezed at. However, I wonder how the more developed countries seem to do it so seamlessly. There is never any talk of mobilization of the armed forces, restriction of movement of the general populace, rigorous voters registration process, etc.
Now I know each country has it's nuances and pecularities, and we must allow for these, but at least, there should be a standard that we should not fall below.
This occurrence is simply unacceptable and I'm sure has far reaching implications, probably worse than what any of us think.
Nigeria has deep-seated problems.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by otokx(m): 4:23pm On Apr 02, 2011
Nigeria's problem is square peg in round holes; most of the people selected are those who make the loudest noise without doing much of the work.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On Apr 02, 2011
No matter what they do, as long as they could prevent rigging, i am kool . . . Let it be postponed till the Kingdom comes, just no rigging . . .let the vote be counted and let the people's voice be heard

Lai Mohammed Turbaned Kakakin Kebbi / Osun Election: PDP Sets Up 128-Member Campaign Council / FG Hands Over TCN To MANITOBA