Stats: 3,194,423 members, 7,954,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:05 AM

Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega (11141 Views)

Biafra: Kanu’s Trial Postponed Till April 5 / Buhari Postpones Emergency FEC Meeting Till Monday / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele (2) (3) (4)

Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Tolexander: 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2011
NASS election postponed or not, all we want and plead for is a credible, free and fair election. 'Jega jo lo mo oun ti oun se o'!
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by dayokanu(m): 6:24pm On Apr 02, 2011
APRIL 2,2011

The National Chairman,
Independent National Electoral Commission,
Headquarters Office,
Abuja

Dear Sir,
MASSIVE DISENFRANCHISEMENT OF CPC VOTERS

I want to draw to your attention the information we have received from all over the country that in many constituencies, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) logo is not on the Ballot paper! This information has come to us from places as far apart as Ogun, Jigawa, Gombe, Anambra, Imo and Rivers States where voting seemed to have started before the announcement putting off the election was made.

2.We believe that free and fair elections include providing the opportunity for all those who have been registered to vote to do so. The absence of the CPC logo from the ballot papers means to us, a premeditated attempt to prevent our numerous supporters from voting for those they believe can bring the change they demand to their lives.

3.The embarrassing thing about this absence is that it is not national. It is selective. Why would there be the CPC logo on some ballot papers for, say, the House of Representatives election in some constituencies and it is absent in some other constituencies, even in the same state! The same story is being told of what is happening in some states with the election to the Senate.

4.Mr. Chairman, we are grateful to God that for some other reasons, the National Assembly elections were put off today. I wonder what would have happened if the elections had taken place and our supporters had complained of the exclusion of the logo of their party from the ballot papers and the security agencies had pounced on them for disturbing the peace! In our view there cannot be greater provocation and proof of an open denial of a people’s right than deliberately preventing them from exercising a right the Constitution and the laws of the land grant.

5.If this lapse is discovered now, we wonder what awaits us in other elections. As one of the fastest growing political parties in the country, obviously because of the image of its presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, it is unthinkable that if a party is left out from the ballot papers you printed for the various elections, it would be that of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) whose logo is the PEN.

6.Our appeal is that you ensure that in the elections you conduct and which you have promised the whole world would be free, fair and transparent, the CPC is not denied full participation. We believe elections should be won through the ballot, not in courts which have proved to have problems of their own.

7We suggest that you conduct the presidential and national assembly elections on April 9. After all, the gubernatorial and state assembly elections will be held on the same day, April 16. Why can’t the presidential and national assembly elections be held on the same day too, for obvious reasons, including the fact that you can sort out the problem caused by the exclusion of some political parties from the ballot papers which MUST necessitate your ordering a reprint, and the fact that the banks would not have opened for stakeholders to collect money to meet their commitments to agents.

8.Failure to take to heart the suggestion of preventing chaos rather than curing it may lead to problems the rush to conduct the election on Monday April 4 may cause.

9. Please remain fully assured of our continued respect for your office and the commission you head.

Yours truly
For: CONGRESS FOR PROGRESSIVE CHANGE (CPC)

Prince Tony Momoh
NATIONAL CHAIRMAN
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by BetaThings: 6:32pm On Apr 02, 2011
Kristaz:

Let us not crucify Prof Jega,There is still hope as there is light at the end of every dark tunnel,Let  us exercise a little patience and do a little sacrifice for this country,Vote GEJ next Saturday,

Abomination!
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by wiseman2011(m): 6:46pm On Apr 02, 2011
coolIt is important to note that we are Nigerians and at the sametime we are part of the societies as well as Prof. Jaga and the INEC, it all happened because the societies are corrupt, if the Nigeria environment is save this materials can be print right in our corridor. So let us not give up on Prof. Jaga.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by BetaThings: 6:52pm On Apr 02, 2011
Ozin:

Even poor civil servants,traders and common people are building houses in Abuja! This shows how dumb and inactive this Dictator Buhari is all through.All he wants is just to be in charge of the presidency without anything to contribute.A man whose life is full of inactivity can not rule me, God forbid!!!
Very poor and smart really. Your yahoo-yahoo compatriots are sharp, smart and creative.
Your chameleon celebrating the return of convict from jail is smart and creative - he had N268m in assets which he cannot explain
at least it carry go to corruption

EFCC filed charges in a suit number FHC/ABJ/M/340/06 filed on August 21, 2007 at the Federal High Court, Abuja. In the suit,  Mrs. Patience Jonathan, was named as an accomplice in the N104million-money laundering case involving Mrs. Nancy Ebere Nwosu. The said money as revealed by EFCC then was on the order of Mrs Patience Goodluck, laundered into a First Bank of Nigeria account number 3292010060711 held in the name of Nansolyvan Public Relations Limited by one Hanner Offor. As a result, the EFCC’s affidavit used in supporting the suit’s originating summons, filed by the EFCC prosecuting counsel, Ofem Uket declared that:

“Our investigations revealed that Mrs. Patience Jonathan, wife of the Governor of Bayelsa State, was the person who instructed one Hanner Offor to launder the said sum of N104, 000, 000 into the account of Nansolyvan Public Relations Limited with First Bank of Nigeria Plc (FBN), Niger House, Marina, Lagos.”
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by ademolad: 6:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
This is quite unfortunate, my concern now is what happens to the vote already casted in Lagos, Kano and some other areas where materials were already distributed and voting started.

Is there any announcement, these will be destroyed and not smuggle or compromise Monday election.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by kobikwelu(m): 7:00pm On Apr 02, 2011
lemme leave out the issue of attacking jega

but certain issues worries me,

1)   is 48 hrs enough to sort out the logistic problems that caused this postponement??

2)  were there instances when election material (ballot papers) were disbursed to PU?? if so, were these same papers returned??
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by mafioso2(m): 7:07pm On Apr 02, 2011
[size=22pt]So elections in Nigeria was April fool?,,,,,,,looolllllzzzz,,,,,,,, grin grin grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by akinolasam: 7:20pm On Apr 02, 2011
I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY PLAN FOR ELECTIONS
WHAT THE FEDERAL GOVT IS PLANNING IS SELECTION.
THERE WAS OPEN CONFRONTATION TODAY BETWEEN PARTY LEADERS IN SOME STATES.
HOWEVER, THIS TIME AROUND RIGGING IS LIKE CALLING FOR SIMILAR TROUBLES LIKE IT HAPPENED IN IVORY COAST
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by yomifoster: 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2011
This is a recipe for disaster. Billions gone down the drain and election process and remunerations for Monday elections not budgetted for. Its shameful to blame Japan and Libya for election in Nigeria.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by efisher(m): 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2011
The Japan blame is completely invalid. It would have been acceptable if the disaster happened yesterday. Besides, INEC had enough time to know if the disaster will affect the process and therefore should have informed Nigerians on time.

Why start the election if we are not ready. It is like soldiers going to war before the weapons arrive saying "they will send the weapons to us in the battle field". By the time the weapons arrive, half (if not all) of the soldiers are dead.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by andyanders: 8:04pm On Apr 02, 2011
JEGA HAS FAILED AND THIS HAS SHOWN THE INCOMPETENCE OF PEOPLE WE REPOSE TRUST ON. HOW COME AFTER HE GOT ALL THE FUND HE NEEDED, HE STILL WENT AHEAD TO MESS UP. JEGA HAS NO EXCUSS TO BUTRESS HIS POINT WHY THE ELECTION COULD NOT HOLD. IN THIS COUNTRY, WE GET AWAY WITH THINGS. LET JEGA BE PUT IN PRISON. ALSO HE SHOULD BE PROBED. THIS ELECTION WAS NOT PLANNED YESTERDAY, HE SHOULD NOT COME UP ON TV TO GIVE US GARBAGE. HE TALKED TOO MUCH RATHER THAN ACTION. IT IS TIME YOU STOP APPOINTING ALL THESE SO CALLED PROFESSORS AS INEC CHAIRMAN, AS THIER BRAIN HAS BEEN OVER USED IN THE CLASSROOM, POLLUTED AND IN TOTAL MESS.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Rotwale: 8:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
I only hope the postponement will address the issue of missing names of eligible voters, Was trying to be accredited today but cldnt find my names & dt of my wife's,

A whole lot of others cldnt find theirs too, The INEC officials were so clueless,
I hope this wouldn't eventually degenerate to violence,
I hope INEC get this right for all,

God bless Nigeria
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by dayokanu(m): 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2011
Naija blamed a 3 week old disaster for todays failure

GEJ is just clueless I swear
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by boycottam: 8:24pm On Apr 02, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by efisher(m): 8:25pm On Apr 02, 2011
[size=14pt]ACN rejects Monday date for poll, PDP shocked[/size]
By Agency reporter
Saturday, 2 Apr 2011

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2011040217335787

The Action Congress of Nigeria has rejected the postponement of the National Assembly election to Monday.

In a statement issued in Ilorin on Saturday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party also described the ‘bungling’ of the National Assembly poll as “a national calamity and an avoidable embarrassment, which will further expose Nigeria to ridicule in the comity of nations.”

It stated that the National Assembly election should be held on April 9 while the presidential poll be postponed to the middle of the upper week, and the governorship/state house of assembly election can still be held on April 16.

Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party’s Presidential Campaign Council has expressed ‘shock and consternation’ at the circumstances that led to the postponement of the election.

“Given the enormous resources and logistic preparations that INEC claimed to have put in place, we are at a loss as to why there were this kind of avoidable lapses at the last minute.“This act of negligence is capable of portraying INEC in bad light and many are likely to question its ability to conduct credible elections.”
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by kellybaba(m): 8:37pm On Apr 02, 2011
boycottam:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON NIGERIA NO MATTER WHAT THESE CLUELESS PEOPLE DO TO FRUSTRATE THE WIND OF CHANGE THAT IS ALREADY ON COURSE.LET THEM TRY ALL THE TRICKS IN THE BOOK,WE WILL VOTE OUR MEN AND RETIRE THESE BUNCH OF FAILURES
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by kellybaba(m): 8:46pm On Apr 02, 2011
kobikwelu:

lemme leave out the issue of attacking jega

but certain issues worries me,

1) is 48 hrs enough to sort out the logistic problems that caused this postponement??

2) were there instances when election material (ballot papers) were disbursed to PU?? if so, were these same papers returned??

Answers:
1) No.With what has happened now,the 'exam papers'(ballot papers) are already leaked out & yu cn b sure is in d firm grips of some politicians right now waiting to be used on election day.There is need to recall all the ballotpapers or cancel those already in circulation & issue new ones with special security codes and you will agree with me that you'll need at least one week to try to make some progress in this direction

2) Everything is circulation shld be cancelled cos they have leaked out already and are compromised.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Eziachi: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2011
What will really be funny is one of those people that sit down and write the result of the election the night before, coming out this evening to proclaim his win without knowing that the election did not hold.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Eziachi: 9:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
Ozin:

Even poor civil servants,traders and common people are building houses in Abuja! This shows how dumb and inactive this Dictator Buhari is all through.All he wants is just to be in charge of the presidency without anything to contribute.A man whose life is full of inactivity can not rule me, God forbid!!!

If your so called poor civil servants, trader and those you chose to refer as common people are building houses- why are they still poor and why do you till refer them as so?
You are the dumb one, I am sure your brain was left behind when the midwife did her job.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by mithel(m): 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2011
Eziachi:

If your so called poor civil servants, trader and those you chose to refer as common people are building houses- why are they still poor and why do you till refer them as so?
You are the dumb one, I am sure your brain was left behind when the midwife did her job.

OUCH grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by maasoap(m): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2011
Many Nigerians are sick, many Nairalanders are sick. Billions of naira have gone down the drain today, another economic loss on Monday. Yet, many are saying that the man at helm of affair shouldn't be held responsible. You're all sick. For failure of this magnitude, someone must be held responsible. I'm not suprised because, Nigerians are known for double standard. It's only in Nigeria that people accept excuse for failure. You have to learn from the developed countries where someone/people had to be held responsible for failure. Is it even normal in a sane society to tell citizens that everything is ready only for the people to learn at noon that some materials have not arrived? Shame to Nairalanders with rat brain!
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 02, 2011
34 votes were already casted at my polling station before the cancellation , the pdp agent told me they only had 3 votes and acn had 22

Beginning of good things to come i guess!
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 02, 2011
maasoap:

Many Nigerians are sick, many Nairalanders are sick. Billions of naira have gone down the drain today, another economic loss on Monday. Yet, many are saying that the man at helm of affair shouldn't be held responsible. You're all sick. For failure of this magnitude, someone must be held responsible. I'm not suprised because, Nigerians are known for double standard. It's only in Nigeria that people accept excuse for failure. You have to learn from the developed countries where someone/people had to be held responsible for failure. Is it even normal in a sane society to tell citizens that everything is ready only for the people to learn at noon that some materials have not arrived? Shame to Nairalanders with rat brain!

You can just tell us what you think the government should have done after today's cancellation. What do you think GEJ should have done?.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by hebro1: 9:53pm On Apr 02, 2011
Hey.yes jega failed us but a leader shld be judged by not how he falls but how he rises afta fallin.electn materials arivd late in iwu's tym and he carried on wit d election wit fake papers.jega has don d ryt tin by acknowledgin his errors and postponin it by 48 hrs. I ll rather its postpond 4 48 hrs and do d ryt tin dan do d wrong tin now and suffer for anoda 4 yrs!Jega is an exemplary leader joor
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by SkyBlue1: 10:52pm On Apr 02, 2011
he-bro:

Hey.yes jega failed us but a leader shld be judged by not how he falls but how he rises afta fallin.electn materials arivd late in iwu's tym and he carried on wit d election wit fake papers.jega has don d ryt tin by acknowledgin his errors and postponin it by 48 hrs. [b]I ll rather its postpond 4 48 hrs and do d ryt tin dan do d wrong tin now and suffer for anoda 4 yrs![/b]Jega is an exemplary leader joor

I completely agree. We can't keep saying "let us get elections right" and keep it on the list of things the nation is yet to achieve. Are we not tired of not progressing? Imagine four years down the line and leaders are still selling themselves on being able to give free elections?!! Let us get it right now. Not in years time, but right now! No excuses.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by hasyak(m): 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2011
“I am doing my best to ensure that all the mistakes of the past are not repeated. These include delays in the deployment of sensitive and non sensitive materials, a situation that often affects the starting and closing of polling on election dates, thereby creating room for politicians to manipulate the process in the past.

Consequently, the question is not whether INEC is ready, but whether the other stakeholders are ready. Our major concerns at this moment are politicians and lawyers.”

jega said this just about 2wks ago.

http://sites.google.com/site/nigerian2011election/today-s-election-news/2011electionsanyfuturefornigeria
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by jerryben12: 1:11am On Apr 03, 2011
May God help us. So all this time, INEC did not firm up their plans for a one day event? So what will a one day change enable them to do when they could not achieve success in the planning they started making almost a year ago. The chairman of INEC needs to be fired from office. shocked
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by MMM2(m): 7:07am On Apr 03, 2011
am not suprise.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by LoveKing(m): 7:26am On Apr 03, 2011
NIGERIA IS ONE HUGE JOKE. Lol
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by Nobody: 7:40am On Apr 03, 2011
A huge joke indeed. After all the noise made by JEGA, 87 billion naira later, a postponement is what we get.
Re: Breaking News: Entire NASS Election Postponed Till Monday April 4 - Jega by 1025: 8:27am On Apr 03, 2011
whatever excuse jega1 is giving must be a deciet. jega2(jonathan ebele goodluck azikiwe) must have been manipulating things from behind. one of the problems we have been crying over as a ppl is that of transperancy. what plans does jega1 have that nigerians are not aware of? this is a man that is always asking for more money. he is now using earthquake and tsunami is japan as an excuse for his failure in nigeria. pdp is coming up with new styles and ivory coast, libya, egypt, tunisia, algeria etc styles will be the last resort because jega1 is now a billionaire and the next announcement will be his resignation. again, jonathan and pdp must know that 29th of may is there last date in aso rock. nigerians are ready rock them out of the rock by any means possible.
we are watching. there is no traditional story in igboland without TORTOISE in it. pdp has never, is not and will never do without rigging.

President Vladimir Putin Rebukes U.S. For Abandoning God And Christian Value / Marriage Mayhem Of Nigeria’s Silver Spoon Kids …why Marriage Is Becoming A Bore / Christmas: Umahi Despatches Buses To Transport Ebonyians In Diaspora

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75