Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? (19926 Views)

Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys / Few Tips For Husbands Of Pregnant Women. / What Are The Factors Influecing Marriage Instability In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Ivynwa(f): 4:41am On Apr 04, 2011
I am friendly with a certain couple that had a baby some weeks back only for the Baby to develop some complications from the unregulated/uncontrolled use of insulin by the mother. It saddened me greatly to learn this morning that the baby did not survive that complication. An acquintance also lost her pregnancy after making the long trip of travelling from Lagos to one of the Eastern states on a bus and probably being shaken all over when the vehicle drove over potholes and the likes. As a result of these mishaps I decided to get more views from other people on the factors, situations/things that poses danger to pregnant women, this is to enable me enlighten the young ones I have around as I do not want to see another baby die because of lack of knowledge on its mother's part.

I know that a woman planning to get pregnant should try as much as possible to have vitamin C beforehand by eating food that are good sources of Vitamin C like Spinach and taking Vit C tablets. I am also aware that some drugs like dewormers that contain albendazole should not be taken months before the time a woman intends to take in as their components are dangerous to a child. I have learnt from the experiences of women friends and colleagues that I have worked with who have lost babies after travelling with Okada/motorcycle and even buses(and being shaken up by drives over potholes and bumps), wearing high heels, taking alcoholic drinks, pounding food and stuffs on mortar so I have adviced young mothers I have come across to be careful with such things.

The above listed shows that a pregnant woman should avoid situations that should have her shaken up badly or incovenience/stress or cause her distress, it also shows that great care needs to be taken when taking drugs to avoid taking some that can harm the baby.  Are there other things or situations that such women should avoid? . You can share your views here and if there has been a thread that has addressed this issue in nairaland that you know of you can give me the link. Many young ones are really being careless out there and they need to be put right as it ends up affecting the babies. I will appreciate your contribution. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Nekai(f): 8:12pm On Apr 04, 2011
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Nekai(f): 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2011
-
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Nobody: 4:28am On Apr 05, 2011
Nice thread.
So some women have strength to be pounding food while pregnant?
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by sadboy: 5:14am On Apr 05, 2011
shaking bus cannot kill baby. i ve seen pregnant women pounding dancing even fall from up steps yet they deliver bouncing babies it make the babies more stronger and adventural
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Nekai(f): 5:31am On Apr 05, 2011
Insulin use for the diabetic mother does not cause a baby to have complications.
Not using insulin when you are diabetic can casue complications. The baby may grow very large, too large to pass safely into the birth canal. Either way, diabetes put a baby at higher risk of complications. There is a risk that the blood sugars of the baby may drop to dangerous levels, which is why they must measure the blood sugar of the baby at birth.
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by megletters: 3:40pm On Apr 05, 2011
@post
i think that your efforts at trying help younger ones/mothers is commendable, pls keep it up.

naturally a pregnant woman must do all that is within her power to avoid stress-triggers. Studies have shown that high levels of stress can have adverse effect on unborn babies.

Strenous exercises, very tiring long walks, standing on her feet for too long, lifting heavy objects and even doing the wrong kinds of exercise especially in her first trimester, are likely to cause many kinds of discomfort and distressing situations.

Even caffeine and antacid medicines should be avoided during pregnancy as it hinders the absorption of iron. If however, the pregnant mother does need to take any antacids (which she might need to during the third trimester due to heartburn), she should ensure she sticks to the recommended dosage.

Rest is especially important for expectant mothers whether in her first or third trimester.
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by ifyalways(f): 4:41pm On Apr 05, 2011
sadboy:

shaking bus cannot kill baby. i ve seen pregnant women pounding dancing even fall from up steps yet they deliver bouncing babies it make the babies more stronger and adventural
Not so true.
Some of us are fragile while others are khaki,made of sterner stuff.

@Topic,IMO,the first step to a healthy pregnancy and child birthing is a loving and caring husband.Some women have been able to do it alone . . .I respect such women but I cannot do without feet-massage,extra TLC,shoulder and body rub down,breakfast in bed,happy and loving atmosphere that comes with pregnancy.

Next is health personnel.Please,no advice,drug,mood or exercise [b]fits for all.[/b]Pick and use a tested and trusted Gyn/Obn and listen to him/her,be very open and truthful to him/her.Do not try drug without his/her knowledge and consent.It worked for Mrs A does not mean it wud work for you.

Don't under-estimate your ante-natal . . . .even if its your 9th baby.There is nothing like [i]experience [/i]in pregnancy. Most abnormalities can be easily detected and treated during ante-natal.

Diet and rest.
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Blazay(m): 10:10pm On Apr 05, 2011
Just wondering how our grand-mothers and great-grand-mothers coped with little or no education. Yet, they had the healthiest of children. Non-viable ones did not survive of course. They seemed to take much better care of themselves than these new-generation enlightened women.

Wonders!

P[b]o[/b]rson go go carry belle without knowing how to take care of herself and the pregnancy in this day and age?

With all the 'googleliscious' and 'wikipedious' resources out there?

Na wah!
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Isabella89: 4:28am On Apr 06, 2011
@Blazay
It's not all women that have internet access.
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Ivynwa(f): 4:32am On Apr 06, 2011
stillwater:

Nice thread.
So some women have strength to be pounding food while pregnant?
@Stillwater
It sounds hard to believe dear but trust African women and our inbred well domesticated upbringing that have some of us doing such stuffs they shouldn't do during pregnancy simply because they are very used to doing it without knowing that it may pose some dangers. I know somebody that lost her first baby after pounding food on mortar and that same somebody (you will not believe it but it's very true!) lost her second baby after taking an Okada ride in haste and anxious to reach her destination in time.

sadboy:

@sad/ grin happyboy
I agree with the part about a p. woman doing some not-too rigorous dance steps here and there but pounding is a no no when in such a condition. Exercises (that are not too exhausting and rigorous) are very good, I have read severally where it is advised especially in the last trimester.

@Megletters
Thanks for your contribution megletters, your comment has a good modicum of intelligence and proffessionalism.

@Ifyalways
You are right there, I don't believe that a p. woman should do such heavy task as pounding, in as much as some women are more fragile than others and our fore mothers pounded with pregnancy, I am of the opinion that women should be dissuaded from pounding when pregnant. Grinders should be used and in cases where such persons can't afford that their immediate family should help them perform such household tasks. Ante-natal is also indispensable as it affords women (among other things) the opportunity to be advised by their doctors/gynaecologist on the right and wrong drugs to use.

Blazay:

Just wondering how our grand-mothers and great-grand-mothers coped with little or no education. Yet, they had the healthiest of children. [/b]Non-viable ones did not survive of course. They seemed to take much better care of themselves than these new-generation enlightened women.

Wonders!
P[b]o[b]Porson go go carry belle without knowing how to take care of herself and the pregnancy in this day and age?
With all the 'googleliscious' and 'wikipedious' resources out there?

Na wah!

@Blazay
Aren't our old time mothers wonderful to have made it even with lack of information and knowledge in the olden days yet women are better equipped with info to avoid miscarriages and malformations.
It isn't every woman that knows to use search engines like google and wikipedia to empower themselves with knowledge, some are not fortunate enough to afford internet connections while some are just too happy-go-lucky and too taken with other things to bother googling and reading up such stuffs.
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 06, 2011
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger3(m): 9:03am On Apr 06, 2011
Up Blazay!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Blazay, care for a thr-e--e so-me that Mr. Blazay proposed the other time?
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Blazay(m): 9:04am On Apr 06, 2011
Screeeeeening for 'internet riff-raffs' before I respond. . . . I don't want to respond to NL godmothers and godfathers of the h-internet.angry

Ivynwa:

@Blazay
Aren't our old time mothers wonderful to have made it even with lack of information and knowledge in the olden days yet women are better equipped with info to avoid miscarriages and malformations.
It isn't every woman that knows to use search engines like google and wikipedia to empower themselves with knowledge, some are not fortunate enough to afford internet connections while some are just too happy-go-lucky and too taken with other things to bother googling and reading up such stuffs.

Isabella89:

@Blazay
It's not all women that have internet access.

Who told-j[b]ha'yaw[/b]l dat?
Ogboni and Okija oracles nor be internet access?
Errrn. . . .they should use that kind of 'local' access na.
Haba!
Must everything be 'oyinbo' access? cheesy
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger3(m): 10:00am On Apr 06, 2011
Reposted below!
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger9: 10:13am On Apr 06, 2011
Ivynwa:

I am friendly with a certain couple that had a baby some weeks back only for the Baby to develop some complications from the use of insulin by the mother. It saddened me greatly to learn this morning that the baby did not survive that complication.

I followed Blazay here but I coud not let this slide for any reason.

First of all what do you mean by bolded?

When you say the baby died from the complications of insulin use by the baby. is that what the doctor told the mother-to be? I wouldnt want you to unnecessarily scare undiscerning readers with baseless assertions like this. By and large, Insulin is a very safe drug, even to the unborn baby and many pregnant women are on it and have delivered safely with no complications whatsoever.

So first, why is the mother to be on Insulin? I make bold to say that she is most likely diabetic, No?
The next question is what kind of Diabetic is she? Type 1 or 2

Again, I make a guess that she is a type i and if she were type II, it is obviously a badly controlled Diabetes.

So the danger here is not the Insulin per se, the danger here lies in the fact that she woman has a poorly controlled Diabetes. I stand to be corrected. Approximately 2% of pregnancies are complicated by diabetes that either develops through pregnancy (gestational diabetes) or was antecedent to pregnancy (pregestational diabetes mellitus). In either case, diabetes has significant implications for mother and fetus during pregnancy, and conversely, pregnancy significantly affects diabetes.
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger8: 10:22am On Apr 06, 2011
Reposted Below. Spambot!
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by jaybee3(m): 10:27am On Apr 06, 2011
@fstranger
dude calm down, the spambot is banning you for posting spam-like posts.
I will forward the post to seun so you can be released

1 Like

Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger3(m): 11:05am On Apr 06, 2011
Ivynwa:

I am friendly with a certain couple that had a baby some weeks back only for the[b] Baby to develop some complications from the use of insulin by the mother[/b]. It saddened me greatly to learn this morning that the baby did not survive that complication.

I followed Blazay here but I coud not let this slide for any reason.

First of all what do you mean by the bolded?

When you say the baby died from the complications of insulin use by the mother. Is that what the doctor told the mother-to be? I wouldnt want you to unnecessarily scare undiscerning readers with baseless assertions like this. By and large, Insulin is a very safe drug, even to the unborn baby and many pregnant women are on it and have delivered safely with no complications whatsoever.

So first, why is the mother-to-be on Insulin? I make bold to say that she is most likely diabetic, No?
The next question is what kind of a diabetic is she? Type 1 or 2

Again, I make a guess that she is a type 1 diabetic and if she were type II, it is obviously a badly controlled Diabetes.

So the danger here is not the Insulin per se, the danger here lies in the fact that the woman has a poorly controlled diabetes. I stand to be corrected. Approximately 2% of pregnancies are complicated by diabetes that either develops through pregnancy (gestational diabetes) or was antecedent to pregnancy (pregestational diabetes mellitus). In either case, diabetes has significant implications for mother and fetus during pregnancy, and conversely, pregnancy significantly affects diabetes.

To be continued
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger3(m): 11:14am On Apr 06, 2011
Contd from the previous post:

Infants of diabetic mothers are at a a 6-fold increased risk of congenital anomalies over the baseline risk of 1.5% of all patients in developed world. Values may be higher in third world countries.

Fetal Mortality and morbidity in pregestational and gestational diabetes could result into any of the following:

Spontaneous abortion
Macrosomia ( Increased fetal weight from too much glucose flowing around)
Polyhydramnios ( too much baby water)
Neonatal Hypoglycemia

Amongst other complications.

So what may have happened in this case is that the baby may have suffered from the complications of Neonatal Hypoglycemia.  It results from the sudden change in maternal-fetal glucose balance, in which an increased maternal glucose crossing the placenta is countered by an increase in fetal production of insulin. However, when the maternal supply of glucose is removed, this higher level of insulin aka up-regulation of insulin can cause significant neonatal hypoglycemia post delivery. [size=15pt]Note, it has nothing to do with maternal insulin as maternal exogenous insulin do not cross the placenta and, therefore, does not directly affect the fetus[/size]. it is the maternal glucose that crosses the placenta, and that is what caused the up regulation of insulin in the baby.

The insulin we are talking of here, causing the neonatal hypoglycemia, is the baby's, not maternal insulin.

In addition, due to susceptibility arising from the mother's poor diabetes control, these new baby may have been subjected to hyperbilirubinemia, low calcium and polycythemia ( too much red blood cells aka very thick blood that could make delivery of oxygen to needed tissues difficult)

Also, common to infants of diabetic mothers is respiratory distress problem. And all of these, and who knows other problems the baby had, may have resulted in the death of the poor baby.

In summary, the insulin taken by the mother has nothing to do with the death of the baby. You can quote me on this. Please be careful what you type here. Some people actually take everything on NL seriously. Always, I repeat, Always talk to your doctor and ask them questions, dont just assume everything. PLEASE.

So why is the Diabetes poorly controlled, especially in a pregnant woman? So many reasons come to my mind, from the woman not following her doctors orders to her doctor being incompetent, either ways, someone isnt doing thier job, most likely, the woman isnt taking her medications as required/ordered. cool
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by fstranger3(m): 11:23am On Apr 06, 2011
Ivynwa:

An acquintance also lost her pregnancy after making the long trip of travelling from Lagos to one of the Eastern states on a bus and probably being shaken all over when the vehicle drove over potholes and the likes.
Of course it is better for pregnant woman to rest as much as possible but I doubt the veracity of your claim that she lost the pregnancy due to having "been shaken all over when the vehicle drove over potholes and the likes."  That is arrant balderdash!  Driving over long journeys with no rest is bad for everyone, and more especially bad for fragile people like pregnant women and older people.

Except, she had an accident while on the journey, it is very difficult and premature to come to a conclusion that she lost her pregnancy as a  result of the harsh road condition she traversed.

A case can be made for pregnancy lost secondary to traumatic injury though; Difficult, but not impossible to justify.

Kapish!
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Nekai(f): 11:45am On Apr 06, 2011
Nekai:

1. Insulin use for the diabetic mother does not cause a baby to have complications.
Not using insulin when you are diabetic can casue complications. The baby may grow very large, too large to pass safely into the birth canal. Either way, diabetes put a baby at higher risk of complications. There is a risk that the blood sugars of the baby may drop to dangerous levels, which is why they must measure the blood sugar of the baby at birth.
2. Vitamin C is important to everyone, and is not much more important to pregnant women.
The most important vitamin is folic acid, which is found in leafy green vegetables, so spinach as you stated is very helpful. Folic acid is especially helpful in the early stages, so it is important for women who are planning to get pregnant to start taking extra. 800 mg is recommended. This vitamin helps prevent neural tube defects, like spina bifida. The neural tube defects occur in the first 6-12 weeks of the pregnancy, sometimes before a woman realizes she is pregnant, so supplementation beforehand is necessary.
3. Travelling on a shaking bus
This is not harmful for the low risk pregnant woman, but for those suffering from an incompetent cervix, or a previous miscarriage or previous preterm delivery it would be best to avoid the extra jolting.
4.Wearing high heels isn't harmful to a baby.
It may be uncomfortable for the mother because many women suffer from swelling. It may also be a bit harder to walk since the center of gravity is shifted during pregnancy.
5. Alcoholic drinks is especially harmful to a developing baby.
Fetal alcohol syndrome is a preventable birth defect, caused by alcohol comsumption during pregnancy. It's best to avoid it altogether.
6. Pounding on a mortar
Not harmful. (See #3)

More. . .
Things that are not harmful: Sex (for low risk pregnancies), Going for a swim, light exercise.
Things that are harmful: x-rays, lying on your back too much in late pregnancy, drug use (ask your doctor for a list of approved drugs you can take.)

I hope this helps. smiley
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by Ivynwa(f): 4:31am On Apr 09, 2011
Nice contributions from Fstranger, Chaircover and Nekai

Nekai:

1. Insulin use for the diabetic mother does not cause a baby to have complications.
2. Vitamin C is important to everyone, and is not much more important to pregnant women.
The most important vitamin is folic acid, which is found in leafy green vegetables, so spinach as you stated is very helpful. Folic acid is especially helpful in the early stages, so it is important for women who are planning to get pregnant to start taking extra. 800 mg is recommended. This vitamin helps prevent neural tube defects, like spina bifida. The neural tube defects occur in the first 6-12 weeks of the pregnancy, sometimes before a woman realizes she is pregnant, so supplementation beforehand is necessary.
3. Travelling on a shaking bus
This is not harmful for the low risk pregnant woman, but for those suffering from an incompetent cervix, or a previous miscarriage or previous preterm delivery it would be best to avoid the extra jolting.
4.Wearing high heels isn't harmful to a baby.
It may be uncomfortable for the mother because many women suffer from swelling. It may also be a bit harder to walk since the center of gravity is shifted during pregnancy.
5. Alcoholic drinks is especially harmful to a developing baby.
Fetal alcohol syndrome is a preventable birth defect, caused by alcohol comsumption during pregnancy. It's best to avoid it altogether.
6. Pounding on a mortar
Not harmful. (See #3)

More. . .
Things that are not harmful: Sex (for low risk pregnancies), Going for a swim, light exercise.
Things that are harmful: x-rays, lying on your back too much in late pregnancy, drug
(ask your doctor for a list of approved drugs you can take.)

@Fstranger(FFriend/Fnwa) my friend
The insulin use I was talking about is the unregulated/uncontrolled use of it, you misunderstood me. Thanks for your powerful contribution, I am really amazed at you that this great piece came from you who is always busy having fun and playing serious pranks here in NL.

@Nekai
I didn't really mean shaking buses, the "being shaken all over when driven over potholes and bumps" I meant is for pregnant women especially those in the first trimester to avoid stuffs like being bumped all over on a pothole filled roads.
Your piece is a great one but me thinks that wearing high heels and pounding on a mortar should be avoided especially in the first trimester. I have come across "not one, not two, not even three" women that have had miscarriages that resulted from those.

@Chaircover
Yeah girl (whoops!, yeah madam----don't mind me Ojare!), for sure pregnancy is no illness. We ain't saying for ladies to pack up their feet and cozy up in bed all day without moving a finger and having their husbands on their toes and feet doing their biddings all in the name of being preggie.  grin kiss We are just talking and mentioning one or two things or situations that P. women must be careful with for their safety and the safety of their babies. Thanks
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by PnPBabyStore: 9:12am On May 19, 2013
Now Open!!!!!

Baby Planet Store[size=15pt]

- Hospital Packing Checklist for Expectant Mothers

- New Born wears and up-keeping accessories (0-5years)

- Diaper (Different makes), Baby Walker, Bouncer, Wardrobes and so on.

Visit us Today @
SUITE 2, PRESTIGE PLAZA, BESIDE IDERA PHARMACY/CHOPPERS RITE, ONIKOKO, ABEOKUTA, OGUN STATE.
Contact Number: 08066909404/08082824695
E-mail Address: babyplanet2013@yahoo.com
[/size]

Thank you in advance for your anticipated patronage!!!
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by jellea(m): 11:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
Hi. Check out this method, its been proof to be working and highly recommended. click on the link to read more http://conceive.cf/
Re: What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? by divanita(f): 2:31pm On Apr 03, 2020
I'm two months pregnant and already experiencing infection. I went to the hospital and was given these drugs: cikamox 500, greenzoral and another that doesn't have name but BPL written on the tablet. I hope this is safe? Pls I need an urgent reply, thank you

(1) (Reply)

Steps In Getting Married / Why Do Couples Tend To Look Alike? / Nairalander's Wedding Anniversary Is Today(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.