Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,287 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Is Holiness Same As Perfection? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Holiness Same As Perfection? (332 Views)

Love Is Holiness / What Is Holiness?and How Can I Be Holy? / What Is Holiness? ( It's Better Than You Think ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Holiness Same As Perfection? by Omokowa(m): 4:04pm On Jan 25, 2021
Holiness is the quality or state of been holy. In other words, it is also called sanctity, divinity, godliness, saintliness, sacredness...

According to the Bible, in 1 Peter 1:16 we read, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." What is holiness? How can we be holy?

The word translated "holiness" in the New Testament means to be "set apart." In the Old Testament, holiness was generally connected with God's perfection. How can we be set apart and perfect?

All people have sinned (Romans 3:23 ) and are imperfect. Our only option to be set apart is through the salvation offered through Jesus Christ ( John 3:16 ; Romans 10:9 ; Ephesians 2:8-9 ).

Perfection on the other hand is the state or quality of been perfect.

Perfection from the Cambridge English dictionary says perfection is the state of been complete and correct in every way.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 ESV:
Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.

Matthew 5:48 ESV:
You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Philippians 3:12-15 ESV:
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.

James 1:4 ESV:
And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

James 3:2 ESV:
For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

Philippians 2:15 ESV:
That you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.

1 John 5:18 ESV:
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

Hebrews 10:14 ESV:
For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

James 1:25 ESV:
But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

Matthew 19:21 ESV:
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Colossians 1:22 ESV:
He has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,

2 Corinthians 7:1 ESV:
Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.

Matthew 7:1-2 ESV:
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

The question is, "is holiness same as perfection?"
Re: Is Holiness Same As Perfection? by enilove(m): 5:51pm On Jan 25, 2021
Omokowa:
Holiness is the quality or state of been holy. In other words, it is also called sanctity, divinity, godliness, saintliness, sacredness...

According to the Bible, in 1 Peter 1:16 we read, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." What is holiness? How can we be holy?

The word translated "holiness" in the New Testament means to be "set apart." In the Old Testament, holiness was generally connected with God's perfection. How can we be set apart and perfect?

All people have sinned (Romans 3:23 ) and are imperfect. Our only option to be set apart is through the salvation offered through Jesus Christ ( John 3:16 ; Romans 10:9 ; Ephesians 2:8-9 ).

Perfection on the other hand is the state or quality of been perfect.

Perfection from the Cambridge English dictionary says perfection is the state of been complete and correct in every way.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 ESV:
Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.

Matthew 5:48 ESV:
You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Philippians 3:12-15 ESV:
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.

James 1:4 ESV:
And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

James 3:2 ESV:
For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

Philippians 2:15 ESV:
That you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.

1 John 5:18 ESV:
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

Hebrews 10:14 ESV:
For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

James 1:25 ESV:
But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.

Matthew 19:21 ESV:
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Colossians 1:22 ESV:
He has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,

2 Corinthians 7:1 ESV:
Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.

Matthew 7:1-2 ESV:
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

The question is, "is holiness same as perfection?"

Yes

(1) (Reply)

Is Mother Mary In The Book Of Revelation? / If You Die The Next Minute, Hell Fire Or Paradise / Hijab Crisis In Kwara: Chief Imam Of Ilorin's View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.