Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,786 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Why Programmers Don't USE IFF Statements - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Programmers Don't USE IFF Statements (334 Views)

Why Programmers Are Single / Dear Programmers - Don't Fall For This Scam [pictures] / Is It True That Programmers Don't Have Time For Themselves Or Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Programmers Don't USE IFF Statements by AkandeJoseph99(m): 1:43am On Jan 29, 2021
Somebody asked this question, I just thought I should post the answer on NL

Why don't programmers use IFF statements?
The easy answer is we do

We just spell it “IF.”

The more complex answer:

IFF is a mathematical term used in theorem proving. It’s not a “flow control” construct.

So if a mathematician writes:

“x = y iff a = b”, they mean…

if a = b, then x = y, AND,
if a != b, then x != y
If a programmer writes:

“IF (a == b) { x = y}” then they mean something very different.

They mean:

If a = b, then set the value of x to the value of y
If a != b, then do nothing, leave the value of x unchanged
In terms of IF vs IFF, that’s basically the same logic as the IFF version… which is why I wrote the “easy answer” they way I did.

The most complex answer:

There are a tiny number of languages in which you can use IFF.

They are languages like OBJ3, which is used for theorem proving.

Unless you are a mathematician you are unlikely ever to come across them.
Re: Why Programmers Don't USE IFF Statements by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 29, 2021
Eh? It's not just part of the syntax for god's sake.

(1) (Reply)

Java Developers Wanted / Full Time Remote Job For Senior Developers / What To Do When Your Business Is Hacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.