Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,030 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (72170 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Evicsholar(f): 5:38pm On Jan 31, 2021
studentofTruth:

The latest results cannot be trusted. The principle of "when you know what you are looking for, that's what you will find" was most likely at play there. It's a very important principle in medicine, which is why in clinical trials to ascertain the effectiveness of a drug, researchers do a double blind randomized study — both the doctor and the patients don't know who's receiving the real drug and who's receiving the placebo so as to remove the effects of biases.

My point is, the lab scientist who did the last test (which was after the child tested positive for sickled hemoglobin) was already biased. S/he knew what they're looking for and that's what s/he gave as the result. I would rather trust the previous 7 tests than trust that last test. To clear the doubt, a new test (possibly HB electrophoresis) must be done by a new lab without prior knowledge of the situation!
I'd rather trust the latest results because it provides a reason the child is sickly and the mother being AS is a simple explanation to the second source of the sickle-shaped RBC.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 6:34pm On Jan 31, 2021
mariahAngel:

There's one interesting comment I read on that thread.
The guy and his wife (formerly girlfriend) took a huge risk and got married, despite knowing they were both AS.
I know a renowned surgeon who is As and married AS...
I huru love, o siri ike o....
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by baralatie(m): 6:44pm On Jan 31, 2021
pragmatistm:
Oga calm down. Your wife may have the same case as we are having here which is beta thalasemia. So, don't just conclude and wreck your family yourself. Take her to a very standard hospital/laboratory preferably teaching hospital and get her tested for beta thalasemia. Then you will know what really happened.

Forget all the negative talks of myopic nairaland people. My strong advice.
true talk before these agbako put people into trouble
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 6:44pm On Jan 31, 2021
Jibsonified:
Hmm... what you said here is a huge fallacy. AS are the ones not prone to having Malaria, since the morphology of their Red Blood Cell does not support thriving of malaria parasite. The actual reason for the existence of the Sickle Cell trait is that african body system developed the trait in order to adapt to the perenial Malaria diseases. Hence, for her not have fallen sick all this while when her siblings do is a huge indication that she is AS .

You are just saying the same thing that she felt. That she doubted her AA results because she does not often fall sick of malaria. That's why she kept repeating the tests. But all came as AA.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Evicsholar(f): 6:59pm On Jan 31, 2021
studentofTruth:

I'm a doctor; I understand what you are trying to say. Neither you nor your brother is down with thalassemia but can pass it on to some of your kids.

I created this thread to explain the case. https://www.nairaland.com/6391907/hemoglobin-issues#98598813

Regarding your explanation, you are getting it mixed up already. Of course, it's expected since you are not a medical person. But I'm glad your brother is smart enough not to accuse his wife of paternity fraud, given that he's the one with AA while the wife is AS.

Coming to the condition itself: Beta thalassemia and SCD are 2 distinct blood hereditary (recessive) diseases that are inherited independently. For SCD, there can be AA, AS (a carrier), and SS (manifests SCA). For beta thalassemia, one can be a non-carrier (no beta thalassemia gene), a carrier (one beta thalassemia gene, like you and your brother), diseased (2 beta thalassemia genes and manifesting moderate or severe disease)

Thus, for each to manifest, the person must have both copies of the bad gene for that disease. But in some situations, a carrier of both diseases can manifest SCA — as it's the case with the child in this index case and your brother's child too — because the beta thalassemia gene stops the production of hemoglobin.

Let me explain:
The child is AS but, at the same time, has a beta thalassemia gene on one allele (gene copy). Unfortunately, it's the same allele that contribute the A component of the HbAS combination of hemoglobin. So, the normal hemoglobin A is not adequately produced. The other allele that is not inactivated by the beta thalassemia gene produces hemoglobin S, which sickles. So, the child's blood will be full of sickled hemoglobins, and the labs would erroneously tag it SS. The problem here is using a phenotypic test to make a genotype conclusion!

Coming back to what you said about AA vs. AA knocking out beta thalassemia: As I explained earlier, the AA thing is about SCD and not about beta thalassemia. Of course, AA vs. AA can prevent an AS offspring, which invariably takes away the possibility of having the beta thalassemia gene causing an AS to manifest as an SS. However, AA vs. AA can still have a child with beta thalassemia if each of those AA individuals is a beta thalassemia carrier (each has a beta thalassemia gene) because the beta thalassemia gene is inherited independently of the SCD's A/S genes!

I hope you understand it now!

Thank you for taking time to explain the issue of thalassemia.

However, these are just possibilities and assumptions. Going by the information available, the child is SS, until different tests counter that.
Secondly, except the instances were coincidental like doing medical tests for work, travel or school, why would someone deliberately do a test five times because you are about getting married to a man with AS genotype.
Till further tests are carried out to confirm the child's genotype, this story does not add up.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 7:00pm On Jan 31, 2021
Munzy14:

I know a renowned surgeon who is As and married AS...
I huru love, o siri ike o....

Ha nwere umu?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 7:07pm On Jan 31, 2021
ensamy:
The story is not complete, running genotype 7 times from one lab and hospital to the other and all came out AA , and she was still confirming. No I don't think so. Maybe some of the test came up as AS and other AA (mistake) , that must have made her to repeat and repeat. The only thing she could have done was to go to one of the ISO accredited labs in town and confirm it. These genotype and blood group errors are not perculiar to Nigeria, even in the U.S it happens.
Of course I have handled a case a client came with an AA genotype result from the Atalanta, U.S, Eventually we confirmed it to be AS at one of the ISO Lab here in Lagos, she couldn't believe it. Sample was sent to South Africa on her request and came back AS. So it's not perculiar to Nigeria alone.
Always check ISO accredited Diagnostic Labs for confirmations. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Thank you too for this post.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Fearcom(m): 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2021
JovialJune:

Then tell us what you feel is jittery that made her do the test 7 times na, doing multiple tests is not out of place, abi don't you know how some stupid labs dish out wrong test results at will? Tell us what you feel, let Op inform abi question the lady, then give you feedback, abi?

I got this inspiration about life one day:

When trying to get to the ROOT of an issue, NEVER RULE ANYTHING OUT! NEVER!

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 8:11pm On Jan 31, 2021
mariahAngel:

Ha nwere umu?
Ehe nu na... 5boys and a daughter.

Two boys are ss,but av grown and already married, except one of the ss guy.

Their only daughter eeeh, magidere mma

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Aderr: 8:17pm On Jan 31, 2021
Reelmii:
I love wat u just said,, the kind of defense he has for the woman makes me want to believe she is his wife and not neighbor, and they are both swear they were As before they got married.... simple
The woman is the OP's wife. He is living in denial due to his love for her.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Aderr: 8:39pm On Jan 31, 2021
[quote author=kapelvej post=98603110][/quote]Don't mind him.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 8:39pm On Jan 31, 2021
Munzy14:

Ehe nu na... 5boys and a daughter.

Two boys are ss,but av grown and already married, except one of the ss guy.

Their only daughter eeeh, magidere mma

Mmmmhhhmm!

O dikwanu mma otu ahu eh? undecided
Nne na nna ha ha ma ihe ha na gabige?
I ma na being SS is mostly tougher on guys than ladies?
There's one condition some of them suffer from that causes impotency.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2021
mariahAngel:

Mmmmhhhmm!

O dikwanu mma otu ahu eh? undecided
Nne na nna ha ha ma ihe ha na gabige?
I ma na being SS is mostly tougher on guys than ladies?
There's one condition some of them suffer from that causes impotency.
Ha nwere ego, so they lived up to the task financially and otherwise.

Impotency? Really...Maybe the stress, drugs and others contributed to that.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 9:17pm On Jan 31, 2021
author=Munzy14 post=98617583]
Ha nwere ego, so they lived up to the task financially and otherwise.

Mbanu naaaaaaaa.
There are just some situations that money simply can't help someone out.

Impotency? Really...Maybe the stress, drugs and others contributed to that.

Read about it:

https://www.medicinenet.com/priapism_penis_disorder/article.htm
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 9:33pm On Jan 31, 2021
mariahAngel:

Mbanu naaaaaaaa.
There are just some situations that money simply can't help someone out.

Read about it:

https://www.medicinenet.com/priapism_penis_disorder/article.htm
Nawa o, more of erectile dysfunction..

Any healthy human, should thank God any day he/she wakes up.
Some people are suffering for real.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 31, 2021
Oga gerout and keep quiet undecided. You have a powerful tongue to curse but you don't have one to pray and see instant miracle to change Nigeria from bad to good, mtcheew. Even quoting bible to curse. Ignorant is a sickness. Nonsense
Be disgracing yourself
LongNipple:

I came here to enlighten people on what most of them are ignorant about and also provide hope to Sickle Cell Patients through first hand experience I have had with them and to God be the glory ...their Genotype have Changed after being on our Therapy....Yes...I said it and will continue to announce it to the World and you mentioned me with that rubbish up them.

Today being Sunday, the 31st day of January 2021, I use your hand written statement as a point of contact and I place you on a CURSE. May the CURSES of my GOD from His word in the book of Deuteronomy 28 from verse 16-68 rest upon you head NOW for that utterance you made in JESUS mighty name I have prophesied (AMEN).

That will teach you a big lesson that it's not everyone you make such allegations to.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Yoighaman(m): 2:52am On Feb 01, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

Exactly my thoughts....
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 10:00am On Feb 01, 2021
Munzy14:

Nawa o, more of erectile dysfunction..

Any healthy human, should thank God any day he/she wakes up.
Some people are suffering for real.

Yeah. And you'll never know what they go through until they tell you.
The first time I read/heard about was on nairaland from the guy who suffered from it.

Yes.

Happy new month.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 2:43pm On Feb 01, 2021
mariahAngel:

Yeah. And you'll never know what they go through until they tell you.
The first time I read/heard about was on nairaland from the guy who suffered from it.

Yes.

Happy new month.
In all love conquers... Strong lovers that are AS will still marry..cheesy
Ihe putara na ya, ha were ya ka cross ha.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by rosalieene(f): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
EmmaOgbu:
I
Genotype test is not a test you can just do within few minutes and zoom, the result is out.
you're wrong.
I have done mine recently about 5 times and the results were given to me in less than an hour
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 6:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
Munzy14:

In all love conquers... Strong lovers that are AS will still marry..cheesy

Love is not always enough biko. cheesy

Ihe putara na ya, ha were ya ka cross ha.

Owu ha k'owu umuaka ha gaje a ta ahuhu ya?
Do you know that most of them become resentful towards their parents because they feel they're to blame for their pains? Especially when they suffer crisis
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 8:09pm On Feb 01, 2021
mariahAngel:

Love is not always enough biko. cheesy

Owu ha k'owu umuaka ha gaje a ta ahuhu ya?
Do you know that most of them become resentful towards their parents because they feel they're to blame for their pains? Especially when they suffer crisis
Lol, if love is not enough,na wahala be that o..cheesy

They shouldn't blame the parents, what if them abort the person kwanu.

Is there a case where AS exhibit symptoms of SS?
With this genotype case , A male or female who is AA buzi hot cake o...grin
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 9:00pm On Feb 01, 2021
Munzy14:

Lol, if love is not enough,na wahala be that o..cheesy

They shouldn't blame the parents, what if them abort the person kwanu.

You know how life is na...
Nothing is ever perfect, we have to create our own perfection.

Is there a case where AS exhibit symptoms of SS?
I don't think so.

With this genotype case , A male or female who is AA buzi hot cake o...grin

Hot cake awudikwa ke nta o cheesy
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Munzy14(m): 9:12pm On Feb 01, 2021
mariahAngel:

You know how life is na...
Nothing is ever perfect, we have to create our own perfection.

I don't think so.

Hot cake awudikwa ke nta o cheesy
True talk @bolded.

Seriously the genotype buzi ihe a na aju on the first date stylishly...grin

Onye o wula choro safer side.hahaha
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mariahAngel(f): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2021
Munzy14:

True talk @bolded.

Seriously the genotype buzi ihe a na aju on the first date stylishly...grin

Onye o wula choro safer side.hahaha

You don't even need to wait until the first date sef...once you fancy the person, you ask as soon as you get talking. Not even stylishly, but straightforwardly.

Owu otu owu o. cheesy
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Cocolatti(m): 3:23pm On Feb 02, 2021
pragmatistm:
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?
May be she was fathered by another man
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Jibsonified(m): 4:59pm On Feb 02, 2021
pragmatistm:

You are just saying the same thing that she felt. That she doubted her AA results because she does not often fall sick of malaria. That's why she kept repeating the tests. But all came as AA.

You're right.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 10:14pm On Feb 02, 2021
Evicsholar:
Thank you for taking time to explain the issue of thalassemia.

However, these are just possibilities and assumptions. Going by the information available, the child is SS, until different tests counter that.
Secondly, except the instances were coincidental like doing medical tests for work, travel or school, why would someone deliberately do a test five times because you are about getting married to a man with AS genotype.
Till further tests are carried out to confirm the child's genotype, this story does not add up.

I will excuse you because you may not know how Nigerian labs test for SS. They test for the manifestation of the genotype and not the genotype itself. The problem is that they don't know that beta thalassemia can manipulate the manifestation of AS genotype by rendering the A component of the HbAS gene inactive. What you get is that only the HbS component will be producing hemoglobins, and those are S-hemoglobins, which get sickled as usual. So, the child manifests as an SS but his genotype is AS.

So, knowing what lab scientists test for and the confusion that arises from it, it's the duty of the attending doctor to interpret the situation with knowledge of the genetics behind it. It's unfortunate that the only thing Nigerians do is test and results, without knowing what the test is about, and funny enough, they don't take it to a doctor to interpret! Nobody passes through medical school without encountering this case in hematology — it's kind of mandatory, knowing that our labs can only make do with the equipment at their disposal. They can only do the type of test they can do. It's left for the doctor to know the limit of the lab test and interpret it correctly, drawing from his knowledge and experience!

Follow that link and read the full explanation that answer all the valid questions, including why she repeated her genotype tests. SCD is not the only hereditary recessive blood disorder. Beta thalassemia runs in her family, but she thought it was SCD. Even the Op later confirmed that!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by EmmaOgbu(m): 6:42pm On Feb 24, 2021
rosalieene:

you're wrong.
I have done mine recently about 5 times and the results were given to me in less than an hour
That is the issue with stripe method. Result is ready b4 1hour.
Electrophoresis method is the best method for genotype test.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

I Am Cancelling All Marriage Plans Because Of What My Girlfriend Did To My Niece / Gay Couple Wins Custody Battle Over Surrogate Mother, Jubilation In Hell. / I Fainted When My Wife Said Our Former Neighbor Is The Father Of Our Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.