Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,454 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Different Types Of Land Documents - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Different Types Of Land Documents (32643 Views)

Important Land Documents For Property Transactions In Nigeria / 7 Land Documents In Nigeria You Must Know Before Buying Land. / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
OasisT:
Which one is global C of O
Global c of o is c of o issued to large portion of land. Whomever buying from the said land has to do consent instead of certificate of occupancy. Two c of o cannot come out on same land so if you buy from the portion you have to seek Governors consent. This consent term of years will depnd on the years the previous owners has. 99yrs is term of years for every c of o. But the residue is given to consent people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Debbydelma(f): 8:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
Very educative

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:36pm On Jan 30, 2021
chloride6:

Survey no be title.

Title starts from Governors consent
Survey is entirely different from c of o. It is part of requirement for c of o process. It has limit of guiding against land grabbers. If you have provisional survey and the person land grabbers sold your land to you has registered to you, he has outsmarted you. He might secretly do c of o and have it while you just have fence on the land. Dont forget govt recognises the person that has document with them not those that just built on it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:37pm On Jan 30, 2021
paulemmy19:
what about the one that village chief signs?
That is just land agreemrnt for you to process your c of o now.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by OlujobaSamuel: 8:38pm On Jan 30, 2021
Op, you are into lands and you can't differentiate between a CofO and RofO.
Certificate of Occupancy is issued by the governor while Right of Occupancy is issued by the LGA Chairman for lands within rural areas of the state, such lands are mostly used for agriculture.
Also, not all states requires governor's consent as to lease, mortgage or sale as you stated in your write-up.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:40pm On Jan 30, 2021
Joshcoli:
Most estate developer will say excision in progress...

W
What doest it really mean
That government has carved the area out for them to own. But most important thing is for your to do proper search by yourself before buying. Take for instance in Ogun State there is committed acquisition, this status of land you will be unable to have c of o and approval. That means the land is needed by government for a certain thing which might not be quick one. If purchased by you government might come after 10years or below to demolish. Ensure you do proper search. Government policies affects land a lot

2 Likes

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2021
[quote author=Engineerpee post=98589638][/quote] government consent has to do with land with existing c of i. Be it global c of o or the one for small portion.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:44pm On Jan 30, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:
Op, you are into lands and you can't differentiate between a CofO and RofO.
Certificate of Occupancy is issued by the governor while Right of Occupancy is issued by the LGA Chairman for lands within rural areas of the state, such lands are mostly used for agriculture.
Also, not all states requires governor's consent as to lease, mortgage or sale as you stated in your write-up.
The c of o from Governor is different from Local Govt Chairman. The Statutory is from the Governor while the Customary is from Chairman. Both are right of occupancy. In Ogun State we have Direct c of o, Ratification C of o, Consent, Accommodation, Allocation. Mortgage is allow too
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by OlujobaSamuel: 8:48pm On Jan 30, 2021
momove4real25:
The c of o from Governor is different from Local Govt Chairman. The Statutory is from the Governor while the Customary is from Chairman. Both are right of occupancy
We have Statutory Right of Occupancy otherwise known as Certificate of Occupancy, and Customary Right of Occupancy known as Right of Occupancy.
Check the Op post, he defined it CofO using RofO
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 8:57pm On Jan 30, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

We have Statutory Right of Occupancy otherwise known as Certificate of Occupancy, and Customary Right of Occupancy known as Right of Occupancy.
Check the Op post, he defined it CofO using RofO
I know am just trying to shed more light. We have Statutroy right of Occupancy and Customary right of Occupancy. Some status dont permit the Local government to handle that of rural area. So they issue it by themselvs

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by professore(m): 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
Very nice
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by donjazet(m): 9:07pm On Jan 30, 2021
CotenantNIG:
Happy Sunday

Ok so i want to upload images of how land documents look like, but its necessary you verify each documents before purchase and after purchase

Certificate of Occupancy
A certificate of occupancy is a proof of land ownership given to a land owner by the Government. A certificate of occupancy is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building’s compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy.

Deed of Assignment
The Deed of Assignment acts a main document between the buyer and seller to show proof of ownership in favour of the seller. A Deed of Assignment is an instrument of transfer used in real estate transactions to transfer legal title or the ownership in a land or building from the title holder (called the assignor) to another called the assignee usually for a consideration (money or money’s worth).

Gazette
The Gazette is an Official Government Record book of all URBAN land within a state. Gazette provides a permanent official public record of important statutory and non-statutory notices that can be used to support legal and other processes, and act as a means of advertising public notices. This is a document that records and expresses the areas the government has given to the family and community to acquire and that the government won’t secure it for any reason with the exception of an appropriate information.

Survey Plan
A Survey Plan is a document that measures the boundary of a parcel of land to give an accurate measurement and description of that land. The people that handle survey issues are Surveyors and they are regulated by the office of the Surveyor general in Lagos as it relates to survey issues in Lagos.

Governor’s Consent
A land transaction is only deemed legal in the eyes of the law when the buyer obtains Governor’s Consent i.e. if the buyer is not the first owner of the land. The Governor’s Consent is the approval that must be given by a governor of a state or his delegate in any transaction that has to do with the transfer of ownership or other interests over land or landed property in order to make the transaction valid at law.

Thanks for reading.
https://pwanmax.com/2021/01/28/know-your-land-documents/
Very good information
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by onward4life(m): 9:07pm On Jan 30, 2021
CotenantNIG:
Happy Sunday

Ok so i want to upload images of how land documents look like, but its necessary you verify each documents before purchase and after purchase

Certificate of Occupancy
A certificate of occupancy is a proof of land ownership given to a land owner by the Government. A certificate of occupancy is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building’s compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy.

Deed of Assignment
The Deed of Assignment acts a main document between the buyer and seller to show proof of ownership in favour of the seller. A Deed of Assignment is an instrument of transfer used in real estate transactions to transfer legal title or the ownership in a land or building from the title holder (called the assignor) to another called the assignee usually for a consideration (money or money’s worth).

Gazette
The Gazette is an Official Government Record book of all URBAN land within a state. Gazette provides a permanent official public record of important statutory and non-statutory notices that can be used to support legal and other processes, and act as a means of advertising public notices. This is a document that records and expresses the areas the government has given to the family and community to acquire and that the government won’t secure it for any reason with the exception of an appropriate information.

Survey Plan
A Survey Plan is a document that measures the boundary of a parcel of land to give an accurate measurement and description of that land. The people that handle survey issues are Surveyors and they are regulated by the office of the Surveyor general in Lagos as it relates to survey issues in Lagos.

Governor’s Consent
A land transaction is only deemed legal in the eyes of the law when the buyer obtains Governor’s Consent i.e. if the buyer is not the first owner of the land. The Governor’s Consent is the approval that must be given by a governor of a state or his delegate in any transaction that has to do with the transfer of ownership or other interests over land or landed property in order to make the transaction valid at law.

Thanks for reading.

Op thanks first of all

If Yu don't mind i wud like to ask some questions please..

Now must I have all this documents on a particular property to be on a safe side

Or aleast how many of those should I have to be the legal owner of the property, just incase!

Because I recently learnt of a landed property tussle that has existed for more than 80yrs.. and still counting...

Both parties are recruiting fresh bloods from within their families to ensure this goes on forever... I felt really scared because 80yrs is alot bro...

I don't want dis to happen to my enemies...

I noticed the judiciary is so helpless on stuffs like this, even when it went almost bloody and confrontational 6yrs ago...

Can yu help me out bro!! I wait here!

Thanks
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by kunleham(m): 9:19pm On Jan 30, 2021
CotenantNIG:
Happy Sunday

Certificate of Occupancy

Deed of Assignment

Gazette

Survey Plan

Governor’s Consent

Thanks for reading.
Thanks so much!
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Tripleoluwa(m): 9:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
We are surveyors of the Elegushi royal family in Lekki. If you need any property within the Lekki axis, call: 0.8.0.6.7.1.7.4.3.1.0
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 9:43pm On Jan 30, 2021
onward4life:

Op thanks first of all

If Yu don't mind i wud like to ask some questions please..

Now must I have all this documents on a particular property to be on a safe side

Or aleast how many of those should I have to be the legal owner of the property, just incase!

Because I recently learnt of a landed property tussle that has existed for more than 80yrs.. and still counting...

Both parties are recruiting fresh bloods from within their families to ensure this goes on forever... I felt really scared because 80yrs is alot bro...

I don't want dis to happen to my enemies...

I noticed the judiciary is so helpless on stuffs like this, even when it went almost bloody and confrontational 6yrs ago...

Can yu help me out bro!! I wait here!

Thanks
I can be your guide in Ogun State mail me
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by trilacos: 9:53pm On Jan 30, 2021
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Albright1(m): 10:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
Nice piece from the op
However, your survey plan is very important.
It clearly spells out your landed property.
Preparing a legal document before the survey plan is almost tantamount to rubbish.
Your document cant specify the actual position of your land.. the survey plan does.

Someone said something about “power of attorney” not being legal
Yet still being used in litigation and dispute survey cases....
It is commonly used in the east .. the south southerners also have their distinct title... that doesn’t make it less legal .

I base in Abia
You can as well contact me for your surveying jobs and engineering surveying services all over Nigeria.
Albright
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by onward4life(m): 10:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
momove4real25:
I can be your guide in Ogun State mail me

Ok thanks

But incase I am not based in Ogun state ooo..

Opanam Delta state
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by duality(m): 10:20pm On Jan 30, 2021
What about contract of sale.

Community levy

Payment receipt
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by gungab(m): 10:23pm On Jan 30, 2021
Nice
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 10:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
onward4life:

Ok thanks

But incase I am not based in Ogun state ooo..

Opanam Delta state
nope. I don't know how they do their documentation. Its because i am into it in Ogun State thats why. Even Lagos i can only link with my colleague in Lagos Min of Lands
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Venerable612(m): 10:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
Albright1:
Nice piece from the op
However, your survey plan is very important.
It clearly spells out your landed property.
Preparing a legal document before the survey plan is almost tantamount to rubbish.
Your document cant specify the actual position of your land.. the survey plan does.

Someone said something about “power of attorney” not being legal
Yet still being used in litigation and dispute survey cases....
It is commonly used in the east .. the south southerners also have their distinct title... that doesn’t make it less legal .

I base in Abia
You can as well contact me for your surveying jobs and engineering surveying services all over Nigeria.
Albright

It makes it ILLEGAL.

Please don't mislead people about what you are not an authority on.

If you are reading this message now or anytime in the future - A Power of Attorney is not a document to show Title over land.

Its just you granting someone an authority to deal (sell, lease or manage) a property on YOUR behalf.

If you are purchasing a land anywhere in Nigeria, please ensure you have at least a properly drafted and executed Deed of Assignment. You may also have a contract of sale of land (aka Sale of a Land Agreement) and Survey: but that's not overly necessary TO SHOW TITLE.

The DoA shows transfer of legal title/ownership.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Venerable612(m): 10:43pm On Jan 30, 2021
momove4real25:
That government has carved the area out for them to own. But most important thing is for your to do proper search by yourself before buying. Take for instance in Ogun State there is committed acquisition, this status of land you will be unable to have c of o and approval. That means the land is needed by government for a certain thing which might not be quick one. If purchased by you government might come after 10years or below to demolish. Ensure you do proper search. Government policies affects land a lot

Apt.

My only reservations with the comments on this thread is that most land are unregistered - so your search at the Lands Registry should be considered insufficient.

Ideally, please advise your clients to carry out informal DD - particularly with respect to family ownerships.

Most of the cases in court linger because several members of the same family sell the same land to different people. No land registry has those information.

If you are reading this and you are planning on buying a land - you may want to conduct DD at the Court, Probate and Family history.

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by oaugraduate1234(m): 11:00pm On Jan 30, 2021
I have lands for sale at Ibeju-lekki Ikorodu and Ogudu GRA.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by KBARBIE(f): 11:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
Wish to invest and you do not know what to do? Oxford International Group offers you a great deal. Invest in our mortgage investment where you get your ROI upfront and your capital after the stipulated time. For more details call 08174269585

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Emeka71(m): 11:38pm On Jan 30, 2021
I need a land somewhere in Sango-otta.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 30, 2021
momove4real25:
That is just land agreemrnt for you to process your c of o now.
is it valid under the law?
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by calcal: 2:24am On Jan 31, 2021
theFilmtric:
all these wan na grammer
If you like collect UN secretary general consent

Omo onile go still collect $

theFilmtricsay

Good if Fulani no chase you out to the Lagoon.
Be ready to defend your land by the use of force otherwise, forget it
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by codemaster2much: 2:54am On Jan 31, 2021
momove4real25:
nope. I don't know how they do their documentation. Its because i am into it in Ogun State thats why. Even Lagos i can only link with my colleague in Lagos Min of Lands

How can someone avoid falling a victim in land sales in Ogun state. Help me
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by codemaster2much: 2:57am On Jan 31, 2021
Venerable612:

It makes it ILLEGAL.

Please don't mislead people about what you are not an authority on.

If you are reading this message now or anytime in the future - A Power of Attorney is not a document to show Title over land.

Its just you granting someone an authority to deal (sell, lease or manage) a property on YOUR behalf.

If you are purchasing a land anywhere in Nigeria, please ensure you have at least a properly drafted and executed Deed of Assignment. You may also have a contract of sale of land (aka Sale of a Land Agreement) and Survey: but that's not overly necessary TO SHOW TITLE.

The DoA shows transfer of legal title/ownership.

Please, I have a family in ogun that wants to sell land, all they have to give me is family receipt and Deed of assignment they typed, I am on the right path?
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by victorazy(m): 5:08am On Jan 31, 2021
potent5:
Right of Occupancy is not a document.

OK.

But u for explain small

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Molding Or Buying Blocks. Which Is Better? / Lagos State Government Removes Illegal Street Gates In Lekki Phase 1 / Construction Diary Of A Semi Detached Bungalow At Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.