Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Different Types Of Land Documents - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Different Types Of Land Documents (32640 Views)

Important Land Documents For Property Transactions In Nigeria / 7 Land Documents In Nigeria You Must Know Before Buying Land. / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by TemmyT002(m): 6:15am On Jan 31, 2021
And many bought land and collected just receipt from the land seller.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Ogan79(m): 7:07am On Jan 31, 2021
Thanks so much, you never suffer power failure in duty.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Venerable612(m): 7:09am On Jan 31, 2021
codemaster2much:

Please, I have a family in ogun that wants to sell land, all they have to give me is family receipt and Deed of assignment they typed, I am on the right path?

Please Get a good lawyer to help you investigate the title of whoever is selling to you and to assist with reviewing the documentation, including possibly perfecting the documents for you at the Lands Registry - to ensure the land is registered in your name.

This include payment of stamp duties, registration fees etc.

Please read this article for more info on the TYPICAL complete process for a valid land acquisition anywhere in Nigeria (NOTE: this may only vary slightly according to the relevant state law).

https://www.mondaq.com/nigeria/real-estate/974958/overview-of-land-registration-process-in-nigeria.

Please don't accept Land receipt and half-harzardly drafted Deed of Assignment without your lawyer investigating valid title and suitability of the documents for any future registration in your name (in case, you are not financially bouyant to register now).

You can get a lawyer to do these things for as a low as 50k barring administrative costs. Trust me, you are saving yourself future unnecessary depression!

Hope that helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by otukpoyam(m): 7:27am On Jan 31, 2021
sammysmiles:
shocked
Some parts of the country,,, some people always sell and resell a land to various people even with their acclaimed original papers,, because of high profile greed and desertation by the so called buyers .....
That's why it's advisable to fence a land after buying it...
But when the owner is not financially buoyant uncor

You don't have to fence it round. U can fence the four corners first there is a way they do it
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by potent5(m): 8:11am On Jan 31, 2021
Right of Occupancy is what enables a person with a term of years to occupy a land. For instance, if you registered your deed of assignment in Lands after getting governor's consent on it, then you have a right of Occupancy. If you have C of O over a land, then you have a right of Occupancy over that land... There 2 types of right of Occupancy: statutory right of Occupancy or customary right of Occupancy...
victorazy:

OK.

But u for explain small
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 9:34am On Jan 31, 2021
otukpoyam:

You don't have to fence it round. U can fence the four corners first there is a way they do it
If you have c of o and somebody invades your and by encroaching it..if he likes let him build Aso villa on it the property automatically belongs to you. He who owns the land owns what is above and beneath it
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 9:36am On Jan 31, 2021
codemaster2much:

Please, I have a family in ogun that wants to sell land, all they have to give me is family receipt and Deed of assignment they typed, I am on the right path?
Let me do a search for you. 08161375559. A search will tell if the land belongs to smbdody else or it has encroached another persons plot or if there is existing c of o that is entirely different from yours
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 9:39am On Jan 31, 2021
Emeka71:
I need a land somewhere in Sango-otta.
make diligent search on any property you are buying in ota. I have a client i assisted in getting c of o years after smbdy claimed his land had c of o that part of it was sold to my client. Of which ours shows it doesn't encroach that gave us power
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 9:44am On Jan 31, 2021
paulemmy19:
is it valid under the law?
Yes concerning Ogun State. Requirement for c of o be it Ratification or Direct c of o are
1. Survey plan
2. All Payment Receipt
3. Oath on forms
4. Stamp duty on land agreement, Deed of assignment or family receipt
5. 9 copies of registered survey for direct c of o but if ratification 2 provisional copies of survey
6. 4 white background passport photographs
7. Memorandum of understanding from the company if commercial use process of c of o and CAC certificate.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Engineerpee(m): 9:51am On Jan 31, 2021
momove4real25:
government consent has to do with land with existing c of i. Be it global c of o or the one for small portion.
small portion of land own by individual
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by otukpoyam(m): 10:16am On Jan 31, 2021
momove4real25:
If you have c of o and somebody invades your and by encroaching it..if he likes let him build Aso villa on it the property automatically belongs to you. He who owns the land owns what is above and beneath it
Abi ohhhh
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Gudiza(m): 11:23am On Jan 31, 2021
Venerable612:
....My only reservations with the comments on this thread is that most land are unregistered - so your search at the Lands Registry should be considered insufficient. Ideally, please advise your clients to carry out informal DD - particularly with respect to family ownerships.
What is DD sir?
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by victorazy(m): 12:56pm On Jan 31, 2021
potent5:
Right of Occupancy is what enables a person with a term of years to occupy a land. For instance, if you registered your deed of assignment in Lands after getting governor's consent on it, then you have a right of Occupancy. If you have C of O over a land, then you have a right of Occupancy over that land... There 2 types of right of Occupancy: statutory right of Occupancy or customary right of Occupancy...

As an Architect, these are vital info I need. Thanks bro!
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Albright1(m): 1:19pm On Jan 31, 2021
Venerable612:

It makes it ILLEGAL.

Please don't mislead people about what you are not an authority on.

If you are reading this message now or anytime in the future - A Power of Attorney is not a document to show Title over land.

Its just you granting someone an authority to deal (sell, lease or manage) a property on YOUR behalf.

If you are purchasing a land anywhere in Nigeria, please ensure you have at least a properly drafted and executed Deed of Assignment. You may also have a contract of sale of land (aka Sale of a Land Agreement) and Survey: but that's not overly necessary TO SHOW TITLE.

The DoA shows transfer of legal title/ownership.

Is power of attorney used in litigation and dispute survey cases in the east??
If so, why’s it still illegal??
Pls educate me.
What about the deed of conveyance used in rivers state?? Is that also illegal?
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by potent5(m): 3:07pm On Jan 31, 2021
You are welcome, bro.
victorazy:

As an Architect, these are vital info I need. Thanks bro!
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Venerable612(m): 4:06pm On Jan 31, 2021
Gudiza:
What is DD sir?

Apologies, it means Due Diligence.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Venerable612(m): 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2021
Albright1:

Pls educate me.

I am not sure what you mean. But, Power of Attorney can be used to give someone a right to defend a legal interest in land in a court.

In other words, if A is the owner of White House. A can grant B a Power of Attorney to Represent him in court - in order to defend A's ownership right over White House. This doesn't however make B the owner of White House.

I hope that clarifies the use of PoA.

The word Conveyance generally means the process of transfering a legal interest in property - and legal interest could be lease, title, mortgage, sublease, etc.

Accordingly, Deed of Conveyance is used usually to transfer any kind of legal interest - ideally, except, for title. A Deed of Assignment is the valid and legally acceptable means of transfering Title/ownership in land.

It will be improper to use a Deed of Conveyance to transfer legal title.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 5:53pm On Jan 31, 2021
TemmyT002:
And many bought land and collected just receipt from the land seller.
Yeah thats is the appropriate doc to be given excpt they have c of o already
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by branhampaul: 7:30pm On Jan 31, 2021
Thank You, for the information.

Appreciated.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Albright1(m): 10:55pm On Jan 31, 2021
Venerable612:

I am not sure what you mean. But, Power of Attorney can be used to give someone a right to defend a legal interest in land in a court.

In other words, if A is the owner of White House. A can grant B a Power of Attorney to Represent him in court - in order to defend A's ownership right over White House. This doesn't however make B the owner of White House.

I hope that clarifies the use of PoA.

The word Conveyance generally means the process of transfering a legal interest in property - and legal interest could be lease, title, mortgage, sublease, etc.

Accordingly, Deed of Conveyance is used usually to transfer any kind of legal interest - ideally, except, for title. A Deed of Assignment is the valid and legally acceptable means of transfering Title/ownership in land.

It will be improper to use a Deed of Conveyance to transfer legal title.
But it’s used in Rivers state
Why
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by MonogramMaster(m): 7:05am On Feb 01, 2021
Good job.
Check CofO, it's not issued by a local government but by the state government.
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 12:16am On Feb 02, 2021
codemaster2much:

How can someone avoid falling a victim in land sales in Ogun state. Help me
chat me on whatsapp 08161375559. I dont know if you have land already that you want to do document for or you have not gotten. Which ever way just chat lets talk about that. Happy new month
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 12:17am On Feb 02, 2021
paulemmy19:
is it valid under the law?
Yes if all family member signed it or represented by family head. Just ensure you bought from the main family or a reputable family

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 12:23am On Feb 02, 2021
Venerable612:

Apt.

My only reservations with the comments on this thread is that most land are unregistered - so your search at the Lands Registry should be considered insufficient.

Ideally, please advise your clients to carry out informal DD - particularly with respect to family ownerships.

Most of the cases in court linger because several members of the same family sell the same land to different people. No land registry has those information.

If you are reading this and you are planning on buying a land - you may want to conduct DD at the Court, Probate and Family history.

All the best.
If one is buying land one cant just drop the money without due search. Ensure you buy from all appropriate people. Before paying do charting that will reveal if the land has existing title or it is under government committed acquisition. Note that if you have genuine receipt or family agreement and you process your c of o it automatically become yours. The Land Use Act of 1978 gives power to the sitting governor of the state and that owns every land. You only own what you put on it. That same power made gvt to recognise whomever that committed itself to him by doing proper documentation of his or her land. No one thing you need is by from appropriate groups or individual then do registered survey in the case of free land or run PROVISIONAL SURVEY in the case of acquisition that is ratifiable
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Joshcoli(m): 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2021
momove4real25:
That government has carved the area out for them to own. But most important thing is for your to do proper search by yourself before buying. Take for instance in Ogun State there is committed acquisition, this status of land you will be unable to have c of o and approval. That means the land is needed by government for a certain thing which might not be quick one. If purchased by you government might come after 10years or below to demolish. Ensure you do proper search. Government policies affects land a lot

so is it safe to buy land at Ibeju Lekki from a reputable real estate company with excision in progress
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Canada2021: 4:37pm On Feb 04, 2021
Joshcoli:

so is it safe to buy land at Ibeju Lekki from a reputable real estate company with excision in progress
It depends some of these real estate companies can be funny, they will tell you excision in progress and for an excision to be valid it must be published in the Gazette.

It is still imperative to carry out your due diligence at the lands registry in order to ascertain the tru state of things.

I can assist you here in lagos , kindly reach me on 08124890654
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 9:58pm On Feb 04, 2021
Joshcoli:

That is if government has gazette it and papers from gvt to that effect
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Joshcoli(m): 10:24pm On Feb 04, 2021
momove4real25:
That is if government has gazette it and papers from gvt to that effect

What about those with Title Excision in process number like KL11288

Are they gazetted
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by momove4real25(f): 12:29pm On Feb 05, 2021
Joshcoli:

Are they gazetted
if its lagos go and do search
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Canada2021: 6:28am On Feb 06, 2021
Joshcoli:

Are they gazetted
I can help you with the search to ascertain the genuineness of the land. Kindly contact me on 08124890654
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by codemaster2much: 11:59am On Feb 14, 2021
momove4real25:
chat me on whatsapp 08161375559. I dont know if you have land already that you want to do document for or you have not gotten. Which ever way just chat lets talk about that. Happy new month

Ok
Re: Different Types Of Land Documents by Olusharp(m): 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2022
momove4real25:
nope. I don't know how they do their documentation. Its because i am into it in Ogun State thats why. Even Lagos i can only link with my colleague in Lagos Min of Lands
what about transfer of ownership? Does it count in ogun??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Molding Or Buying Blocks. Which Is Better? / Lagos State Government Removes Illegal Street Gates In Lekki Phase 1 / Construction Diary Of A Semi Detached Bungalow At Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.