Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,979 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

He Wants To Dump Law For English Education - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Wants To Dump Law For English Education (15491 Views)

English Education Or English And Literary Studies, Which Is Preferable? / Whats The Difference Between Linguistic,English Education And English Studies / JAMB Recommended Books For English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics And Biology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by NwaIgboBoy(m): 12:10pm On Feb 01, 2021
Fuckkk the law
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by einsteine(m): 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2021
micflo28:
you think it's easy to practice law those countries as a non-citizen. I agree they are well paid but what is the possibility of practicing it with a Nigerian degree.

He would simply write a bar exam anywhere he goes.

Law, Medicine, Nursing and Accounting are actually the best courses for Nigerians who want to work abroad. As regulated professions, all you have to do is write the equivalent exams over there and you are qualified to work there unlike say Engineers where there is no easy way to prove you have sufficient knowledge and training so you have to rely on presenting your degree which may not be accepted in those foreign countries.

English education? What stupidity. Nobody is even going to employ someone not from the UK, US, AU or NZ as an English teacher. If you like get a first class, they won't believe you have a good command of the English language if you are not from the typical English speaking countries.

4 Likes

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by LegalWolf: 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
Bodyodour:
A friend just decided to change from law to English education. His reasons are:

-law will take most of his youthful age(considering ASUU and 1 year of law school)

-with English, he can be able to travel and teach abroad, asia precisely. And he can be able to explore the world.

- lawyers are not well paid here and it will be difficult to travel to Europe with it.

I hope he is not making a mistake?

Please move to frontpage.

I can tell you for sure that he is making a very big mistake. As a lawyer, the situation is not as gloomy as they paint it on social media. To demonstrate my point, and drawing from personal experience, there are lots of lawyers who have never been poorly paid. Some law firms pay as much as 170k for NYSC. Post NYSC, my salary was circa 250 and it goes up every damn fuck_n year. Again, take a look at the top lawyers in the field - Olanipekun, Asue Ighodalo, Oyebode, Yusuf Ali, Pinheiro, Kanyinsola Ajayi amongst others too numerous to mention. These guys are ballers. Look at their offices and cars. Kanyinsola Ajayi's office is in Banana Island. Do you understand that? These guys live the sweet and smooth life mehnnnn. Same cannot be said of English Language graduates that you know.

Indeed, I must emphasise that you must not limit yourself to practice. There is so much out there that you can make a killing from. Ibe Kachikwu made bastard money working in-house. The likes of joe abah carved a niche for themselves in governance and they are doing well. The minister of foreign affairs worked for an international organization and he made a killing for himself as well. So, please and please, don't restrict yourself to law practice as there are lots of opportunities out there waiting for you.

Even if my post is not useful to the OP, i hope it inspires someone out there to keep trying. The best decision i ever made was to study law.

5 Likes

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by IamDavid(m): 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2021
hilltop007:
The guy is smart and well informed. This is not the 70's where professions such as Law and Engineering are automatic tickets to financial freedom. It is really unfortunate that some people are pursuing Law because of the prestige associated with it. One of my Neighbour who studied Law for 7 years is currently working as a sales rep. earning 25k monthly. He graduated 5 years ago.

Parents should stop pressuring their children to study all these traditional courses. The world is progressing. Many of these traditional courses will soon become obselete.

Courses such as English, Chinese, Computer Science are more lucrative and has more prospects than many courses our parents force us to study.
I'll add french and music to the list. It's only medicine that's holding up well (financially) out of the traditional "prestigious" courses
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by addexx: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2021
MsAllison:
Sammy come to bed

My name is sammy

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by padi94(m): 1:14pm On Feb 01, 2021
For him to be able to teach English in Asia or China precisely he must know mandarin Chinese, hope he knows

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by Cousin9999: 1:33pm On Feb 01, 2021
The opportunity to study law doesn't disappear because he changed his major. He can always do that.

But ultimately, he should decide what he wants, not other people.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by adexpa(m): 1:44pm On Feb 01, 2021
He is seeing things from a microlensing, he needs to see from a magnifying lense. Life is not run base on 1+1 calculations. It is not about what you studied but how you arnest opportunities at the long run. Did he know that airpeace owner studied law n today he is a big success in airline, Olu oke studied medicine but a big success in building now. It is not all about what you studied but how you sees opportunities.
If he is convinced, let him go but those reasons he pointed out are not relevant.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by Bianda24: 1:48pm On Feb 01, 2021
Teachers are well paid now a days! It might be a smart move but not an intelligent decision. Many people will not buy such decision, it is apposite considering the state of the world and the trend and dimension Nigeria is tilting towards these days.

I took similar decision many years back to jettison Law for Philosophy. I wouldn't confidently say my decision was right but I will take such decision anew. Thinking about it now, I might possibly not be a good lawyer but presently, I am not a bad administrator.

So, the guy in question might have something off his sleeves, I pray it pays him at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by hardbody: 2:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
micflo28:
read properly to understand the write up, he said he will go abroad, Asia precisely that is a non-english speaking nation to teach the subject not here in Nigeria. Can you compare a teacher's pay in Japan, China and that of Korea with that of Nigeria? Studying law and going abroad to practice it is next to impossible. He made a wise choice if he has means to leave the country with that knowledge of English language.

I just did not want to contribute to this thread but reading the last part of your post i thought I should state categorically that I beg to differ. A number of my classmates are practicing outside the country, particularly in the UK and Canada. The ones in the UK did conversion exams.

On the topic, I am tired of suggesting what people should or should not do. Let the guy study whatever makes him happy.

I am only just wondering now, what happened to all those graduates of English/Linguistics? They do not know how to get to Asia, Korea, Japan, etc?

Last Last whatever makes anyone happy they should just do it and take responsibility for their decisions abeg.

I am proudly a lawyer and will only ensure in my next world I don't dilly-dally before opting to study law again.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by AntiFeminism(f): 2:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
hilltop007:
The guy is smart and well informed. This is not the 70's where professions such as Law and Engineering are automatic tickets to financial freedom. It is really unfortunate that some people are pursuing Law because of the prestige associated with it. One of my Neighbour who studied Law for 7 years is currently working as a sales rep. earning 25k monthly. He graduated 5 years ago.

Parents should stop pressuring their children to study all these traditional courses. The world is progressing. Many of these traditional courses will soon become obselete.

Courses such as English, Chinese, Computer Science are more lucrative and has more prospects than many courses our parents force us to study.
most lawyers I know ain't practising their profession.
I know lots that are now into fashion designing

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by weslay: 2:26pm On Feb 01, 2021
There is no perfect answer to the question. Your friend wears the shoe, he knows where it pinches.

Personally, I will not go to the university to study English or English education

2 Likes

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by omoburuku: 2:53pm On Feb 01, 2021
LegalWolf:

I can tell you for sure that he is making a very big mistake. As a lawyer, the situation is not as gloomy as they paint in on social media. To demonstrate my point, and drawing from personal experience, there are lots of lawyers who have never been poorly paid. Some law firms pay as much as 170k for NYSC. Post NYSC, my salary was circa 250 and it goes up every year. Again, take a look at the top lawyers in the field - Olanipekun, Asue Ighodalo, Oyebode, Yusuf Ali, Pinheiro, Kanyinsola Ajayi amongst others. These guys are ballers. Look at their offices and cars. They live the sweet and smooth life. Same cannot be said of English Language graduates that you know.

Again, i must emphasise that you must not limit yourself to practice. There is so much out there that you can make a killing from. Ibe Kachikwu made bastard money working in-house. The likes of joe abah have carved a niche for themselves in governance and they are doing well. The minister of foreign affairs worked for international organization and he made a killing for himself. So, please and please, dont restrict yourself to law practice as there is lots of opportunities out there.

Even if my post is not useful to the OP, i hope it inspires someone out there to keep trying. The best decision i ever made was to study law.

Exactly, I just wish I am studying law

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by femi4: 3:36pm On Feb 01, 2021
Bodyodour:

-law will take most of his youthful age(considering ASUU and 1 year of law school)

-with English, he can be able to travel and teach abroad, asia precisely. And he can be able to explore the world.

- lawyers are not well paid here and it will be difficult to travel to Europe with it.

Good move
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by markopaulo(m): 3:57pm On Feb 01, 2021
labelle123:
Il y a rien à dire

vous pouvez lui donner votre mots de conseils
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by babytoun: 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2021
Bodyodour:

Not a good decision ..with a law first degree he will have broader and better paid options in the labour market ..

His calculations are purely based on teaching options outsider's country which isn't so easy ..

My younger brother is regretting not heeding our advise to study law ..

2 Likes

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by Zeeknow3245(m): 4:35pm On Feb 01, 2021
If he is after money he should work hard and be a Master in phonetics then he will know Law is not what people sound it to be.
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by NaMe4: 5:05pm On Feb 01, 2021
Bodyodour:

The guy is thinking well.
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2021
labelle123:
Il y a rien à dire
Meaning
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by Omonuejegbo(m): 5:48pm On Feb 01, 2021
Heartbender:
����
Let him just say his head could not carry the heavy reading and assimilation needed for the study of law...
English is broader in scope than Law. Who no go no go know.
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by vioment: 5:50pm On Feb 01, 2021
He is not making a mistake at all.
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by generationz(f): 5:59pm On Feb 01, 2021
I think while studying English education he can still hustle on the side. I know ladies who went to law school put off their internet business and by the time they were done, the business has been over saturated.
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:56pm On Feb 01, 2021
Una no dey read well...na una problem be dat....where in that write-up did the guy plan on teachingbin Nigeria....ehn
ValCon888:
Leaving Law for English is like refusing to drink champagne because you like cheap beer.
If lawyers are not well paid, is it teachers that are well paid?
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by ValCon888: 9:11pm On Feb 01, 2021
OlufemiWhit:
Una no dey read well...na una problem be dat....where in that write-up did the guy plan on teachingbin Nigeria....ehn
Stfu. What I said is universally applicable anywhere.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by d33types: 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2021
quaintbloke:

I believe everyone should do what makes them happy. Many people go into courses like law, medicine, engineering etc for societal and family prestige, no clear career path and end up among the Jones.
Your friend is already thinking 10years ahead, he is wise. Indeed with English language, he could teach in Asia and Europe. He could even minor in a European language which would open many doors for him.

You don't need to study English to teach it except at university level.

A TESOL certification course can give you the opportunity
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by OlufemiWhit(m): 11:57pm On Feb 01, 2021
Dimwit
ValCon888:

Stfu. What I said is universally applicable anywhere.
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by Nobody: 5:31am On Feb 02, 2021
hilltop007:

Chinese? How is that lucrative?
Re: He Wants To Dump Law For English Education by clockwisereport: 7:38am On Feb 02, 2021
DennisEche:
Law don cast tey tey

Law don cast but no be to trade am with English Education

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Professional Course For Arts Student. / Imo State Needs 20 Universities –okorocha / ASUU Wants FG To Negotiate With Union To End Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.