Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Who Was Joyce Carol Vincent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Was Joyce Carol Vincent (554 Views)

2greidz Efejene With His Second Cousin Brother Know As Vincent Erivwode (photos) / Joyce West Pens Down Emotional Birthday Message To Her Father, Pa Elder David... / How Joyce Vincent Died And Her Body Was Unnoticed For 3years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Was Joyce Carol Vincent by IME1: 12:49pm On Feb 04, 2021
Are you like me who likes to be by self most of the time to reflect, read, refresh and rest?
I met someone recently who stayed near me in the late 90s. He said he used to refer to me as the one who walks alone on the road!

Inasmuch as people can't define who you,
"Man know thyself!"

Are you gradually drifting into isolation?
It doesn't necessarily mean depression or suicidal tendencies.
It doesn't necessarily make you a snub or one with inferiority complex.

For me, my faith in Jesus Christ keeps me going in whatever situation.
In many occasions I've fallen in my flat with no one to help.
In one occasion I'd to send a text to my brother who stayed closest to me among my family members. Do you know it was the following day I saw "message delivered."
In another occasion I'd a domestic accident that was near fatal. Lying on the floor, I started discussing with my God, my Creator. I first thought of my mother then I told God that I've legion of family and friends who'd be willing to break my metal door and come to my rescue, BUT AS I LIE HERE, THEY DON'T KNOW.
I prayed to God to give me the enablement to rise, open my door, get my phone and call, the rest is history.

Fast forward to today. I'm currently in a training and I was getting bored so I decided to just check my Facebook which I hardly do. Really who uses Facebook nowadays? Insecurity and interest are major reasons. Anyways, I came across a post from someone which made me go deeper and read about this story below. I'm in a multiple air conditioned space but the cold that went through me after reading this story was more than Russian winter and Canadian autumn.

Kindly take time out and read this TRUE LIFE story below and have a review of your life and sensitivity.
I urge us all to be sensible, sensitive and loving.
Just yesterday I called my neighbour cause I didn't see her in our Full Gospel fellowship. I know she stays alone, she's retired. I could sense that gratitude in her voice that I called. Last week I called an 81 year old widow who used to be in my parish, just to wish her happy birthday, she was surprised I remembered and was grateful.
And on and on.

We can be sensible and allow people help us.
We can be sensitive and reach out to people, even strangers.
We can be loving and care for those in need; they may have money and lots of friends and families, but many are in need of real love, care and attention (remember that a thread that graced front page on Nairaland was about a man who willed his money and company to his maid and not his wife, because that maid 'saw him' 'cared for him' 'loved him purely' 'was there for him till the end in bad and good times'

Prior to her death, Vincent had cut off nearly all contact with those who knew her. She resigned from her job in 2001, and moved into a shelter for victims of domestic abuse. Around the same time, she began to reduce contact with friends and family. She died in her bedsit 21 December 2003 with neither family, co-workers, nor neighbours taking notice. Her remains were discovered on 25 January 2006, with the cause of death believed to be either an asthma attack or complications from a recent peptic ulcer.

She was in a relationship and there was a history of domestic violence.

Neighbours had assumed the flat was unoccupied, and the odour of decomposing body tissue was attributed to nearby waste bins. The flat's windows did not allow direct sight into the accommodation. It was a noisy building which may explain why no one questioned the constant noise from the television, which remained turned on until she was discovered. 

Half of her rent was being automatically paid to Metropolitan Housing Trust by benefits agencies, leading officials to believe that she was still alive. However, over two years, £2,400 in unpaid rent accrued, and housing officials decided to repossess the property.

Her corpse was discovered on 25 January 2006 when bailiffs had forced entry into the flat. The television and heating were still running due to her bills being continually paid for by automatic debit payments and debt forgiveness.

The Trust also said that no concerns were raised by neighbours or visitors at any time during the two years between her death and discovery of the body. Vincent's remains were too badly decomposed to conduct a full post-mortem, and she had to be identified from dental records.

Police ruled death by natural causes as there was nothing to suggest foul play: the front door was double locked and there was no sign of a break-in.

At the time of her death she had a boyfriend, but the police were unable to trace him. Her sisters had hired a private detective to look for her and contacted the Salvation Army, but these attempts proved unsuccessful. The detective found the house where Vincent was living, and the family wrote letters to her. But as she was already dead by this time, they received no response, and the family assumed that she had deliberately broken ties with them.

The Glasgow Herald reported,

"...her friends noted her as someone who fled at signs of trouble, who walked out of jobs if she clashed with a colleague, and who moved from one flat to the next all over London. She didn't answer the phone to her sister and didn't appear to have her own circle of friends, instead relying on the company of relative strangers who came with the package of a new boyfriend, a colleague, or flatmate."
Interviewed people who had known Vincent described her as a beautiful, intelligent, socially active woman, "upwardly mobile" and "a high flyer", whom they assumed "was off somewhere having a better life than they were". 

During her life, she met figures such as Nelson Mandela, Ben E. King, Gil Scott-Heron, and Betty Wright, and had also been to dinner with Stevie Wonder.

If only Seun and his mods can create a way to check on the over 1 million Nairalanders!

In memory of Hungerbad and other Nairalanders who have gone.
Also in memory of Nairalanders we have not heard from in a long time, may they be alive and fine.

Stay well
Stay safe

IME1

Read more from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent?fbclid=IwAR1xrg2QCcYFtipl5T9VRrA6rLbCVzPAlt7akE4TdpUM8doJU7Pz0S8ta4E

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Was Joyce Carol Vincent by Yusufisraelj(m): 2:45pm On Feb 04, 2021
I read her story yesterday, so painful. keeping a healthy network of friends is key.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Joyce Carol Vincent by Businext: 9:00pm On Feb 05, 2021
cry

(1) (Reply)

I Need 50k Loan Paying Back 60k In 14days, I Have A 300k Collateral / What Should I Do Please, Your Advise / My Ex-husband Says He Can’t Feed 6 Of Our 9 Children – Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.