Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,245 members, 7,829,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts (96219 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Resurgent2016: 2:14pm On Feb 05, 2021
Vistra40:

What has EndSARS got to do with cryptocurrency oga? Do you have sense at all?

Both NIN and this policy are likely measures by this government to check dissent within the country. NIN is to be able to identify people (hence the rush), crypo was used to side-step CBN in funding groups like the feminist coalition.

It just the response of a typical backward government, rather than give the people good governance they will rather squeeze them further to ensure no one can hold them to account.

Nigeria can never make progress with someone like Buhari in power. A very brain-dead somebody

9 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nerro042: 2:17pm On Feb 05, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Yes, but then again fraud.

This type of deal, i can never do that with a Nigerian.

On the contrary p2p is the biggest platform we use to sell or buy our bitcoin. Patricia and other registered companies are only a tip of a giant iceberg in the end governments can't really do much to stop crypto. Oh and btw this news seems fake

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Puojebo: 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2021
If you want to sell am available at your service..08066745266

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Awoo88: 2:19pm On Feb 05, 2021
SeunAdeniyi1:
People like Patricia go cry this year o. grin

It was high time the government ban crypto exchanges. It is one of the things killing our useless naira. People would rather store their funds in bitcoin and co. than to store it in naira.
And why would anybody with sens store naira that losses it value every day?

4 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by douchesnozzle(m): 2:22pm On Feb 05, 2021
evil1:
Nigeria is the worst place to be in in these modern times.
Yes we have a banking system and that banking system regulates financial flow and economy.
Most countries that are saying crypto is illegal are going behind it and backing it up. even up to the extent of it been on world exchange market.
Crypto currency I believe even though its an easier approach to hidding criminal activites is still a major economic relief to Nigerians and especialy Small busineses.

Banks extrort from investors and its customers with the whole BVN stuff, NIN, SMS charges, VAT, etc....
Banks know that the moment they allow full fledged ditigal currencies and a system like Crypto that nobody regulates, it will cripple the banking system and they will no longer thrive because people like myself will rather collect payment through bitcoin and withdraw via same instead of using a banking system that will charge me for every transaction and even want to put me in a mortage situation.

I sincerely support crypto for SME's and other startups.
The charges in crypto currency transactions is far higher than what d bank will charge. The major selling point for crypto currency is the volatility and anonymous nature of the transactions.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by manyr4luv: 2:23pm On Feb 05, 2021
softset:
I have always said it that this government is run by insane people. How could you just wake up and make such a decision?

I won't blame them, next election, if you like collect 5000 you will get worse treatment.

Look at NIN, some idiot just woke up and made a decision without putting lots of things into consideration, so I arrive Nigeria now with no way to get a phone number. Many government decisions are never thought through.

We deserve better than what we are getting, Nigerians are smart people, we should never settle for less , mediocrity should not be an option when choosing leaders.

I apologize for being part of those that encouraged people to vote for Buhari during the first election, I encouraged over 80 of my employees in Lagos to vote for him, I thought he was the messiah. I later realized that this man really has nothing much to offer. Someone that thinks today is Monday

My dear, if you are from the south you better stop supporting evil nigeria. They dont want to empower you so that you can be easily controlled. The cows want to turn all the youths to beggers. That is their master plan.

6 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Murketeer: 2:23pm On Feb 05, 2021
Macgyver1:

Nice suggestion. Peer to Peer for me!
Okay ...so it doesn't affect peer to peer
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Collinsanele: 2:26pm On Feb 05, 2021
softset:
I have always said it that this government is run by insane people. How could you just wake up and make such a decision?

I won't blame them, next election, if you like collect 5000 you will get worse treatment.

Look at NIN, some idiot just woke up and made a decision without putting lots of things into consideration, so I arrive Nigeria now with no way to get a phone number. Many government decisions are never thought through.

We deserve better than what we are getting, Nigerians are smart people, we should never settle for less , mediocrity should not be an option when choosing leaders.

I apologize for being part of those that encouraged people to vote for Buhari during the first election, I encouraged over 80 of my employees in Lagos to vote for him, I thought he was the messiah. I later realized that this man really has nothing much to offer. Someone that thinks today is Monday

I think it's expedient for you to ask God for forgiveness.
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Puojebo: 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2021
08066745266. Write me for a good rate if u have BTC to sell
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2021
the most profitable currency to trade in Nigeria are cows - Mallams continue to infest every institution and cause it to rot to the roots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by MrSamsung(m): 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2021
Icumsa45:
Godwin E is a pig!

You leave the master and blame the servant. Are you ok sad
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 2:28pm On Feb 05, 2021
Nerro042:

On the contrary p2p is the biggest platform we use to sell or buy our bitcoin. Patricia and other registered companies are only a tip of a giant iceberg in the end governments can't really do much to stop crypto. Oh and btw this news seems fake

Stop the hype.

Those platforms will not be able to trade with this new law.
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by poweredcom(m): 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2021
Na now I know this country is finished

Imagine what are these foolish people in CBN doing
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Yoighaman(m): 2:30pm On Feb 05, 2021
Inkling:

As in.... F9 on Economy...

....and F15 on Security.
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by ibkayee(f): 2:30pm On Feb 05, 2021
They don’t want a decentralised system, they hated the fact that they couldn’t control crypto accounts during EndSars. But if it wasn’t EndSars it would’ve been something else to trigger this action from them. It’s also a threat to the useless naira but they won’t address the root cause of its fall and do what they need to do to strengthen the currency long term. Nigeria and knee jerk senseless actions strikes again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Enneecy(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2021
Divay22:

I just got credited from luno now also ...
The panic is from next week we might find it hard to withdraw from luno going by this notice.
can not deposits or transfer from bank naria to ur luno wallet
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2021
How exactly would this stop crypto? Peer to Peer guys, use Localbitcoins, Finance Peer to Peer etc. Get a Crypto card for making ATM withdrawals, you can get one from Revolut, Bitpay, Cryptodotcom, Binance crypto card. Infact pretty much any debit card with Visa or Mastercard should work.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2021
Rikidony:
guys pls hold on, what does this mean, is it that all my money i invest in Luno, Roqqu, Binance and Abitrader is gone and i cant withdraw back my money, because I'm not understanding..
No your Crypto is safe with you, what this means is you can't use exchanges to withdraw back to your Naira. So to sell your crypto you have to go through someone who will buy from you and give you Naira. Not going through Luno or Patricia because they are banned from today. I suggest you get a Crypto card from Binance and you can withdraw directly with an ATM anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Murketeer: 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2021
privaldo:

Also, once again this can be bypassed that's why crypto is like the proverbial cockroach that can't be killed easily, governments like China and Iran tried it and failed. This new policy will only make people result to P2P lending which will even be worse for the CBN as they won't see any trace of the USD/FX coming into the country from crypto.
P2P?... that's selling to a vendor and getting your money I guess?
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Mummymahdi(f): 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2021
I weep for my country
Going backward
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2021
opalu:
Akon is building a City solely on Cryptocurrency
Physical or imaginary City?
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by gud4vvvvv: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2021
does it mean one cannot sale the ones one has?
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Dearlord(m): 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2021
No matter how learned you are, living Nigeria will make you loose your sanity

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by relicng: 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2021
Are we moving forward or backward?
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by richmanrichard: 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2021
after d 2015 presidential elections; d 5% wailed for a month and after that, the 95% has been wailing till now.what an irony! I am sorry for the whole south
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Bimpe29: 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2021
Nigeria grin
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by IMASTEX: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2021
softset:
I later realized that this man really has nothing much to offer. Someone that thinks today is Monday
I supported during his first tenure but I had to ask God for forgiveness for supporting such a disaster. Isn't that bolded a mistake?!

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by fof1: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2021
lalasticlala:
CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts

"February 5, 2021

LETTER TO ALL DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS, NON-BANK FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND OTHER FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

The Central of Bank of Nigeria's (CBN) circular of January 12, 2017 ref FPR/DIR/GEN/C1R,06/010 which cautioned Deposit Money Banks (DMBs), Non-Bank Financial Institutions (NBFIs), Other Financial Institutions (OFIs) and members of the pubic so the risk associated with transactions In crypto currency refers.

Father to earlier regulatory directives on the subject, the Bank hereby wishes to remind regulated institutions that dealing in crypto curencies or facilitating payments for cryptocurrency exchanges is prohibited. Accordingly, all DMBs.

NBFIs and OFIs are directed to identify persons and/or entities transacting in or operating crypto currency exchanges within tier systemsand ensure that such accounts are closed immediately. Please note that breaches of this directive will attract severe regulatory sanctions. This letter is with immediate effect."

Osaretin Victor Asemota @asemota shared it on Twitter and wrote:

https://twitter.com/asemota/status/1357647685801676802

A Twitter user, Futurist @nathaniel_luz, reacted:

https://twitter.com/nathaniel_luz/status/1357648314016096256?s=19

PLS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS BUHARI NIGERIA GOVERNMENT...HABA...WHAT CAN THEY DO STILL!
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by samson1019: 2:49pm On Feb 05, 2021
Nigerian government with their useless policy,
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nerro042: 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Stop the hype.

Those platforms will not be able to trade with this new law.

Seems like you know absolutely nothing about crypto man wow. About thirty to forty minutes ago i sold 57k worth of bitcoin to my guy Jack who is a vendor the rate was 477 per dollar. Now he sent me the money from his bank account to mine via a simple transfer. Now cbn can't stop bank transfers or know what the transfer was for that's simply p2p in a nutshell. So long as crypto wallets are still here only God in heaven can stop the trade

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by LordIsaac(m): 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2021
The result of having a quota system CBN governor grin

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by SavageResponse(m): 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2021
I'm indifferent to this move by the CBN

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply)

Forex Trade Alerts - Season 12 / Football Betting Season 4 / Who Are The Top Ten Richest People In Nigeria Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.