Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Am I Righteous? Am I Just? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Am I Righteous? Am I Just? (103 Views)

Are Believers Righteous? / Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? / Am I Righteous? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Am I Righteous? Am I Just? by sweetmusictv: 2:55pm On Feb 07, 2021
An Emoji Devotions for SUN 7th February, 2021

Topic: Am I righteous? Am I just?

By H.U. Wenger

The steaks for being righteous are high and most of us would probably answer very reluctantly and prudently to the question. We know too well about our biases, about our likes and dislikes and the small or sometimes big injustices that result from them. Normally I consider myself as a non-discriminating guy against others, but recently I have woken to a horrible truth about me that gave me the shivers. I sat in a preaching and it struck me as boring and without deep thoughts. I felt how my anger was stirred and I came to the conclusion that the guy is unfit for preaching. I reasoned that I could say much more even with absolutely no preparation. Right then he began to talk about our tendency for haughtiness, pride and self-conceit and he confessed, that he struggles with the very facts mostly in traffic, when he feels surrounded foremost by morons and people, who are totally unfit for driving. I was immediately convicted by the spirit of the Lord. A multitude of instances flooded my mind, in which my internal attitude was totally arrogant and self-satisfied. Sure, I did not utter words, but the Lord sees our heart our heart determines everything we are doing.

“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” (Proverbs 4, 23) After the sermon I had to repent immediately. I was crushed by the fact that under scrutiny, my behavior was not even just, let alone righteous.

In his sermon on the mount, Jesus says to his disciples: “For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5, 20) If we want to know, who we really are and what we really want, we need to have a close look into what we are doing on a daily bases.

To enter the kingdom of heaven we need to be righteous. It is not enough to be civil, decent and self-respecting. We need to be loving and merciful towards others as Jesus was, while walking the earth. The problem is that our fallen nature is unable to do all of that. Jesus gives therefore his own righteousness to everybody who wants to earnestly walk with him. Even more, he makes our hearts and souls to the temple of his Holy Spirit. We are made holy, not in our deeds, but in our estate before the Father in heaven. Jesus righteousness becomes my righteousness and this enables me to live already in the kingdom of heaven in the spirit.
But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. (Romans 3, 21-24)

As the preachers and my example show, the worldly spirit tries always to ensnare and to deceive us. We can fall into the trap of complacency and egomania without being alarmed by it. We can even consider ourselves as well balanced with the sins of pride, haughtiness and self-deceit, but we have lost the dynamics of being salt and light for the world. People around us are only drawn to God by encountering the liberating character of Jesus Christ. How should they encounter it, if I do not live it out wholeheartedly?

Prayer: Thank you Jesus for your mercy and grace. You have given to me, your righteousness for free. Please help me live out your character and be salt and light for the people around me. Thank you for your forgiveness for my pride and arrogance. Without you, I cannot do anything of value. Amen.

(1) (Reply)

Your Soul Is Priceless / Our Life As Born-again Individuals In Christ Jesus Crucified / Meditate On This Tonight.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.