Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,035 members, 7,814,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West (54356 Views)

Igbo Traders Petition CBN On Multiple Charges, Deductions By Banks / You Can Now Buy And Sell Your Products Online Using Cryptocurrencies / CBN On Fire - No Fire Scare At Central Bank Of Nigeria - Confirmed Reports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by ibietela2(m): 7:15pm On Feb 07, 2021
PAID PR
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by ibietela2(m): 7:17pm On Feb 07, 2021
dre11:
•Christine Lagarde: Bitcoin facilitates questionable transactions

•Nigeria surged to second highest crypto destination in the world raking $200 to $300million a week without underlining economic activity, alarming the CBN

•FG alarmed kidnappers had switched to bitcoin for ransom payments

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/02/07/how-fbi-warned-fg-cbn-on-scammers-using-cryptocurrencies-to-defraud-the-west/

Is it the same America that told them to BAN FX to naira?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Crayfish09: 7:17pm On Feb 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
So because of activities of Yahoo boys and kidnappers the world Bank told the CBN to ban crypto currency undecided and like a fool too the CBN agreed angry

If not that the Nigerian government is foolish aren't they suppose to weigh the pros and cons before enforcing the directive.

What can't dey ask the same United States why they haven't banned crypto currency in their own country undecided

That's the problem with you guys. Instead of you to call on youths to shun yahoo, you are criticizing the government; meanwhile we have paypal, draft2digital, 4chan, eBay, etc banning us for the same reasons.

2 Likes

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by KaptainAfrika: 7:17pm On Feb 07, 2021
Looool they are now looking for justification. Germany, Holland, Spain, Japan, and the UK that have favorable and meaningful approach towards crypto, don't know what they are doing abi. Analogue government.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by signz: 7:17pm On Feb 07, 2021
goody2019:

CBN must be dumb to wait this long to do the needful. And it is doing it halfhazardly. Ponzi schemes are still scamming people daily. Peoples accounts are being cleared.

Someone made over $1bn in the dark net selling drugs using Bitcoin as payment in the US. The guy was later arrested and jailed but the US didn't stop their banks from dealing with customers that use Bitcoin even though Bitcoin is seen as the only major threat to the US $$$.

Infact i dare say that most Ponzi's are not using Bitcoin.

Was MMM ponzi only in Bitcoin?

Are Forex Ponzi's in Bitcoin too?

To the truly naive people here, Bitcoin transactions can be easily traced by our security guys. Few years ago there was a Kidnap syndicate in Abuja that demand bitcoin from their victims, they were easily caught by the DSS.

Do not believe the lies from the pit of hell that Bitcoin transactions can't be traced.

2 Likes

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by spinna: 7:18pm On Feb 07, 2021
omoadeleye:
All these kidnappers and fraudsters, God should help us real hustlers.

Amen oo.. my goal is $5000 legit internet biz this month..im already on my way with about 21cents
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by signz: 7:18pm On Feb 07, 2021
ibietela2:
PAID PR

Exactly!!!

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Mkmoney(m): 7:19pm On Feb 07, 2021
Thinkfree:
Please help me out.
I deposited 476,391naira into my 1xBet account from my tron(crypto) wallet, then i tried to transfer the money to my first bank account but it was rejected, that i have to stake the whole money on at least (1.1) odds before i could make any withdrawals. I used the whole money to play Greuther Furth (4 - 1 )Wurzburger Kickers over 1.5 goals with 1.20 odds which gave me 571.669 naira but still can't withdraw.
Please i need help anybody with idea.
U have to cash out the same way it came in meaning it must go to your crypto account. I'll suggest u use a third party
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by thatigboman: 7:20pm On Feb 07, 2021
bestower:
I was just duped... You guys wouldn't believe me... Those guys are smart, upgraded their professionalism by joining hands with some bank officials... My brothers if you hear cryptocurrency.... Runnnnn like if Usain Bolt is pursuing you with Igbo cutlass... My little piece of advice..
thats the danger of crypto. No regulation. U money can simply disappear without a trace and u cant go to police, you cant go to CBN. Sorry.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by alphaNomega: 7:21pm On Feb 07, 2021
b3llo:
The ban on cryptocurrency is targeted at fraudsters based here. the cybercrimes and atrocities committed by these unfortunate set of people have affected hard working and sincere individuals.

The day I fear cryptocurrency was the day some kidnappers requested for ransom through "Bitcoin"
Those kidnappers can be traced!
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by alphaNomega: 7:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
signz:

Someone made over $1bn in the dark net selling drugs using Bitcoin as payment in the US. The guy was later arrested and jailed but the US didn't stop their banks from dealing with customers that use Bitcoin even though Bitcoin is seen as the only major threat to the US $$$.

Infact i dare say that most Ponzi's are not using Bitcoin.

Was MMM ponzi only in Bitcoin?

Are Forex Ponzi's in Bitcoin too?

To the truly naive people here, Bitcoin transactions can be easily traced by our security guys. Few years ago there was a Kidnap syndicate in Abuja that demand bitcoin from their victims, they were easily caught by the DSS.

Do not believe the lies from the pit of hell that Bitcoin transactions can't be traced.

The commercial banks and CBN are behind this cryptocurrency restrictions
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by femifemi1(m): 7:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
b3llo:
The ban on cryptocurrency is targeted at fraudsters based here. the cybercrimes and atrocities committed by these unfortunate set of people have affected hard working and sincere individuals.

The day I fear cryptocurrency was the day some kidnappers requested for ransom through "Bitcoin"

And you weren't afraid the day you heard that some governors were paying some bandits in cash.

Note that if there wasn't cash or cryptocurrency ,criminals would ask for payments in gold, diamonds and even cows.

Treat the wound and not the symptoms.

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by deavicky(m): 7:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
Yahoo activities will now be shifted to Neighbouring Africa countries. They really cannot stop these fraudsters with this their new policy.

Nigeria of late gives me concern, they don't even do any proper analysis or even small analysis before jumping in something(they did it board close only to realise the negative impact later).How can someone in his country tell you something about ur economy on Wednesday, and on Friday u have already taken decision against your country.
I'm sure those men on top has not yet realized that the white men does not have any good plan for us. If you look at this properly it may just affecting their country alone.(my though anyway)
As for kiddnappers, the only set of kidnappers disturbing the peace of the country right now are the fulani herdsmen and and bandits and they only take cash.
The set that demands for ransom in bitcoin are still few and police should try and catch them in the act of kidnapping not at the stage of collecting ransom because at the ransom stage their work is already over 70% completed.

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Bunsenbun(m): 7:24pm On Feb 07, 2021
Sailor1:
This is a post from another thread

Have you ever heard of cold wallets and wallet mixing?.
Do you know there are cryptocurrencies that are totally inert to tracing?

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by QueTeddy: 7:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
This is actually very wrong. For better understanding, why won't the US direct her banks to do the same, thereby blocking channels that transfers money back?

About the kidnappers, isn't its ironical that it is under a former military personnel that the nation is undergoing its worst security crises till date?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by ejanla077: 7:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
b3llo:

Shut up which day..

They have given u guys line to lie wit...
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by alphaNomega: 7:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
Maxymilliano:
So you mean Nigeria had to be ban something that brings the country 200 - 300m every week because Nigeria has no economic underlining basis for having such money in cryptocurrency?

This is how oyibo help us to destroy our country by deceiving and enforcing stoopid policies on us.

This doesn’t even make sense and I know it’s a cover up story by the government
Same way they deceived our forefathers in the past and took away their kinsmen as slaves across the Atlantic. More than 4 centuries later, the same script is being played .. Black people are daft
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by thatigboman: 7:26pm On Feb 07, 2021
doxijaw:

What did abacha sell to Switzerland that allowed him to move millions of dollars into swizz banks?

Think! You seriously believe in the efficient market theory grin, it will take another three thousand years for you people to wake up. cheesy
why is Switzerland repertrating the money back to Nigeria if the money is legit?

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by BarrElChapo(m): 7:27pm On Feb 07, 2021
Kaduna1stson:
FBI might mean many different things.

Fulani
Brothers
Information

Lmaooo grin with its international headquarters @ in the deep bushes of the Abuja - Zaria highway
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Bunsenbun(m): 7:27pm On Feb 07, 2021
Timi1990:

grin You must be high on Egusi !!!!! . Crypto is 100% legal in the USA and North America
Crypto is not legal in the usa,it is even banned in some places in the usa.Know what you say,crypto is pseudolegal
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Bunsenbun(m): 7:28pm On Feb 07, 2021
Thinkfree:
Please help me out.
I deposited 476,391naira into my 1xBet account from my tron(crypto) wallet, then i tried to transfer the money to my first bank account but it was rejected, that i have to stake the whole money on at least (1.1) odds before i could make any withdrawals. I used the whole money to play Greuther Furth (4 - 1 )Wurzburger Kickers over 1.5 goals with 1.20 odds which gave me 571.669 naira but still can't withdraw.
Please i need help anybody with idea.
You can only withdraw through the medium you sed in depositing.Sorry

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by doxijaw: 7:29pm On Feb 07, 2021
thatigboman:
why is Switzerland repertrating the money back to Nigeria if the money is legit?

Why did they accept it initially?
How much interest did they collect and how much have they paid back?

My brother make i keep quiet, na small small dose of truths Nigerians need.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Bunsenbun(m): 7:29pm On Feb 07, 2021
MyOpinion1:
And the CBN foolishly follow the directive not minding the economic implications..
When will total slavery end for God sake
It actually has no economic implications, since cryptotransactions were not remitting anything to the coffers of the govt

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Bunsenbun(m): 7:30pm On Feb 07, 2021
LofP:
Where is the proof that scammers moved money from the USA to Nigeria using Bitcoin?

Any FBI statement or investigation to back this up?

If this tip is from America, surely there must be a percentage of funds reported in the US media as missing funds. Any news? Because the US congress has yet to approve stimulus since November 2020, so what stimulus funds are they talking about?
You no hear say simple bank dey close? grin
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by michoim(m): 7:30pm On Feb 07, 2021
And Atiku was pleading with the FG to reverse the ban.. .this man sha
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by IMAliyu(m): 7:32pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:
Any institution that doesn't have a REGULATORY BODY is a fraud. Kudos to CBN. Many clowns commenting on social media doesn't even have idea how it works. Their only hatred is Buhari, but their ignorance didn't remind them that the CBN is an independent institution that has his own governor.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions.
No, ideally a central bank should be an independent body, but is Nigeria's central bank really independent, or do they just perform the binding of the FG?

And the CBN governor is appointed through which means again?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SenecaTheYonger: 7:33pm On Feb 07, 2021
blingxx:

you naive as fvck ..what yahooboys steal are just tip of the iceberg compared to what the west have stolen from us before we learnt how to speak their language ,go and watch this movies "blood diamond,hacker,wolf of wallstreet" these movies are based on real life undecided yahoo boys are learners compared to what India,russian and Chinese hackers are doing

I understand that the west has stolen from Africa and still continue to, but doesn’t mean you should retaliate in a hoodlum fashion. What yahoo boys are doing is not making Nigerian better in anyway. Two wrong don’t make a right. You should be afraid of the future of your children if you are ever to give birth here. No amount of yahoo will ever make this country a better place. But of course that not what you’re after, you just needed an excuse to steal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by CSTRR: 7:33pm On Feb 07, 2021
joey150:
Truth be told, cryptocurrency, with its "anonymity', have given several unscrupulous scamming elements the propensity to scam unabated and without fear.

Having an unregulated and largely anonymous global currency might sound cool, but when you think of all the harm that 10% of the world population can and will do with it, it would greatly outnumber the benefits for the other 90%.

I know yahoo boys that have made a killing through scamming people, getting the funds converted into crypto and using one of the multiple exchanges here to withdraw their funds. A regular banking system would leave a paper trail that's easy to follow. Blockchain can be traced, but it's a very complex process that can be made even harder for those that can get around it.

We know some people are genuine crypto traders and have positive use for crypto. But the fear is, in a country like Nigeria, scammers will do the worst with it.

The government should rightfully be worried that millions of dollars that they cannot regulate, trace or control, is being syphoned in and out of this country via cryptocurrency.

Point of correction, cryptocurrency wasn't banned. The government cannot ban cryptocurrency because it's a digital currency. The government has only told exchanges that we cannot continue to allow you to exchange and covert naira to a digital coin that we have no direct control over.

It's a controversial decision, but given that politicians can launder money with it in seconds, yahoo boys can dupe with it in minutes and kidnappers can demand untraceable ransoms, you'll see why this extreme step may have been taken.

If your first response to this is afterall the politicians are already stealing, then you should seriously question your education. If one man gets away with murder, must we then use the excuse to pardon all murderers?

Regulate it, don't block it.
That is foolish.

The US is still the largest bitcoin market in the world.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by tit(f): 7:34pm On Feb 07, 2021
So why are cows that have caused the deaths of millions of Nigerians is not yet banned?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Spidermon: 7:34pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:
Any institution that doesn't have a REGULATORY BODY is a fraud. Kudos to CBN. Many clowns commenting on social media doesn't even have idea how it works. Their only hatred is Buhari, but their ignorance didn't remind them that the CBN is an independent institution that has his own governor.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions.

Son, I wrote WAEC a very long time ago. The fact that you are even thinking of WAEC in 2021 shows I am quoting a neophyte.

My inference is that you are just a multi-cellular organism, you are not yet a fully formed human being with elaborate mental faculties.

What do you even know about cryptocurrency? Or even the f**king CBN ??

I was talking of the CBN as an institution far from being Independent
Does this cut the picture of an Independent decision maker?

This was me being nice.
If you quote me again, 'amma dice you up.

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by CSTRR: 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2021
michoim:
And Atiku was pleading with the FG to reverse the ban.. .this man sha
Yes, because he is smart and progressive.
Internet fraudsters use the internet.

Why have your govt not blocked the internet?

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by zedegit: 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
So because of activities of Yahoo boys and kidnappers the world Bank told the CBN to ban crypto currency undecided and like a fool too the CBN agreed angry

If not that the Nigerian government is foolish aren't they suppose to weigh the pros and cons before enforcing the directive.

What can't dey ask the same United States why they haven't banned crypto currency in their own country undecided

They even suggested regulation but FG. chose ban.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Shoprite Confirms Exit From Nigeria / Graduate Who Sells Irish Potatoes In Jos Becomes Online Sensation / Aliko Dangote's 60th Birthday Cake Is Quite Creative (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.