Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West (54364 Views)

Igbo Traders Petition CBN On Multiple Charges, Deductions By Banks / You Can Now Buy And Sell Your Products Online Using Cryptocurrencies / CBN On Fire - No Fire Scare At Central Bank Of Nigeria - Confirmed Reports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by CSTRR: 8:48pm On Feb 07, 2021
When you see the way countries like India assert their economic independence, you just have to admire it.

They don't take bull from anybody. Not from china, UK or america.

Narendra Modi is not older than buhari.
But he is infinitely more wiser.

Modi is using his dictatorial style for indian independence and progress while buhari is using his to fight his enemies.

And yet buhari supporters will tell you Nigeria is sovereign.

We are only sovereign when it comes to oppressing the citizens.

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 8:49pm On Feb 07, 2021
IMAliyu:

A
Any institution that doesn't have a REGULATORY BODY is a fraud. Kudos to CBN. Many clowns commenting on social media doesn't even have idea how it works. Their only hatred is Buhari, but their ignorance didn't remind them that the CBN is an independent institution that has his own governor.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. The topic is not about A.B.C....
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
So because of activities of Yahoo boys and kidnappers the world Bank told the CBN to ban crypto currency undecided and like a fool too the CBN agreed angry

If not that the Nigerian government is foolish aren't they suppose to weigh the pros and cons before enforcing the directive.

What can't dey ask the same United States why they haven't banned crypto currency in their own country undecided

As in ehn!!! Push and start Government
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Spidermon: 8:53pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:
Any institution that doesn't have a REGULATORY BODY is a fraud. Kudos to CBN. Many clowns commenting on social media doesn't even have idea how it works. Their only hatred is Buhari, but their ignorance didn't remind them that the CBN is an independent institution that has his own governor.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions.

I have to let you go.
You are not even alive. You are just an algorithm.

2 Likes

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by CSTRR: 8:54pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

The US has a lot of regulatory agencies. Much stronger than Nigeria's.

And as at today, Bitcoin has risen to number 4 in the most popular american citrizen investments.

If they didn't ban it, why should you?

You and your buhari and emefiele are not alright.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. This is not about NASS and budget small boy. The topic is about CBN.
Na everybody you dey tell to go read waec.Which one you read?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by CSTRR: 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2021
In the 2019 debate, Peter Obi was talking about don't close your shop while chasing rats, while osinbajo want you to close your shop.

That debate was a clear indicator of the buhari govt and it has played out in every way.

Even people that needed an open market system to survive, were not smart enough to vote for peter obi.

I pray he runs in 2023. Maybe as a second chance from God for Nigeria.

If una like, don't take it.

2 Likes

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Ugandatales: 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2021
joey150:
Truth be told, cryptocurrency, with its "anonymity', have given several unscrupulous scamming elements the propensity to scam unabated and without fear.

Having an unregulated and largely anonymous global currency might sound cool, but when you think of all the harm that 10% of the world population can and will do with it, it would greatly outnumber the benefits for the other 90%.

I know yahoo boys that have made a killing through scamming people, getting the funds converted into crypto and using one of the multiple exchanges here to withdraw their funds. A regular banking system would leave a paper trail that's easy to follow. Blockchain can be traced, but it's a very complex process that can be made even harder for those that can get around it.

We know some people are genuine crypto traders and have positive use for crypto. But the fear is, in a country like Nigeria, scammers will do the worst with it.

The government should rightfully be worried that millions of dollars that they cannot regulate, trace or control, is being syphoned in and out of this country via cryptocurrency.

Point of correction, cryptocurrency wasn't banned. The government cannot ban cryptocurrency because it's a digital currency. The government has only told exchanges that we cannot continue to allow you to exchange and covert naira to a digital coin that we have no direct control over.

It's a controversial decision, but given that politicians can launder money with it in seconds, yahoo boys can dupe with it in minutes and kidnappers can demand untraceable ransoms, you'll see why this extreme step may have been taken.

If your first response to this is afterall the politicians are already stealing, then you should seriously question your education. If one man gets away with murder, must we then use the excuse to pardon all murderers?

God bless you.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by planetx: 9:03pm On Feb 07, 2021
Bouz:
Crypto na scam
How is cryptocurrency a scam with all the mad money people are making.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rubbiish(m): 9:04pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

https://news.bitcoin.com/report-bitcoin-overtakes-gold-in-the-u-s-as-the-4th-most-popular-investment-vehicle/

Bitcoin has overtaken Gold as the fourth most popular investment in america.

Nigeria dey form ban?
I pity this country
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by doxijaw: 9:06pm On Feb 07, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:
There were questionable transactions long before cryptocurrency, and there will still be questionable transactions if they ban it. The issue is not about fraud or questionable transactions, it's about the fear that fiat currency with zero intrinsic value (like the US dollar) will lose its market value as well and bring the global economy crashing down like the baseless pack of cards that it is. The only thing keeping those currencies propped up, is the demand that people have for them; now even businesses are going crypto and alarm bells are ringing in the minds of Central Banks everywhere. What will the World Bank and IMF do when the dollar denominated debts that countries owe them become completely valueless?

Meanwhile, I think it's high time that the Nigerian youth who are tech savvy consider setting up one or more organisations like Anonymous to fight cyber fraud and other forms of cybercrime emanating from Nigeria. It is causing a lot of damage to our collective reputation, foreign opportunities and now, E-Trade.

Exactly, it's more about blocking the transfer of wealth built on the fraudulent global economy, the issue of fraud is just a cook up.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if you've heard Brussels are considering a digital currency for Europe, yeah do as I say not do as i do grin

In the end , what matters is protecting your self interest as a country, not just taking instructions like some empty brained amoeba grin.

If the Nigerian government deems it a threat and goes ahead with the ban/restrictions, i won't call them backwards, i can only hope they've thought it through properly .

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rubbiish(m): 9:09pm On Feb 07, 2021
pfadom:
Where are Kemi Olunloyo, Pastor Godman Akinlabi and other Yeyebrities who blindly criticize the CBN's decision to regulate cryptocurrencies.
https://news.bitcoin.com/report-bitcoin-overtakes-gold-in-the-u-s-as-the-4th-most-popular-investment-vehicle/

Our leaders are killing d future of this country & u people don't know?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Simpubozz(m): 9:11pm On Feb 07, 2021
Felabrity:

PayPal blocked
Western union, Tight
Bitcoin transaction, blocked

They will always find another way
None of those payment modes you mentioned is blocked. Dm me if you need to transact in any of those
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rickylambert: 9:12pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

Thanks for reminding me pls.You clearly do not understand how Digital exchange works.As always,you won’t see beyond the Nigeria political vendetta of subjecting it’s citizens to abject poverty.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rubbiish(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2021
Koolyarn:
The day I understood how this bitcoin gain traction was the day I made up my mind not to engage cos it is a matter of time when the whole western world will gang up against it.

Have you heard of the Dark Web and what fuels it activity? It is scàry and not for the faint hearted.

Bitcoin is the currency that operates within the Dark Web

Why una no get sense for this country??
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2021
Rickylambert:
Thanks for reminding me pls.You clearly do not understand how Digital exchange works.As always,you won’t see beyond the Nigeria political vendetta of subjecting it’s citizens to abject poverty.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. This is about CBN and digital PS.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rubbiish(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2021
catice:
Crypto currency is illegal in the United States. Please do the research.

Why una no get sense for this country??
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:15pm On Feb 07, 2021
Rubbiish:

Nigeria dey form ban?
I pity this country

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. The is about CBN and Nigeria interest and not gold medal.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:16pm On Feb 07, 2021
Joysticks:
Na everybody you dey tell to go read waec.Which one you read?

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. Or better still watch Tom and Jerry which is good to people that bear joystick.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:17pm On Feb 07, 2021
CSTRR:

The US has a lot of regulatory agencies. Much stronger than Nigeria's.

And as at today, Bitcoin has risen to number 4 in the most popular american citrizen investments.

If they didn't ban it, why should you?

You and your buhari and emefiele are not alright.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. This is about CBN and Nigeria interest and not USA.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2021
Spidermon:

I have to let you go.
You are not even alive. You are just an algorithm.

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions and don't wail for accepting defeat.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by juniorstar(m): 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2021
there is always a way around these things.the inventors of cryptocurrenncy had already envisaged a time like this intact the final point is when all central banks of the world gang up against crypto as a whole. all these is happening becos the use of crypto isn't yet widespread as it should be.when we start buying groceries with crypto the banks becomes useless and their would be no bank cos the banks would become virtual. Elon wasn't stupid when he invented bitcoin.

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rickylambert: 9:25pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. This is about CBN and digital PS.
CBN Governor,I greet you.Such a pained soul.Do not rejoice,The ban has no effect.Conversions and exchanges firmly intact

2 Likes

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by bizhop01: 9:28pm On Feb 07, 2021
blamingthedevil:
Long over due....

Anybody not supporting the ban is a criminal.

What is the underlying commodity are you trading on?
Why are you still blind in 2021?
Not only criminals make used of bitcoins, i invested in bitcoin on early 2014 i made it big through this.

1 Like

Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:34pm On Feb 07, 2021
Rickylambert:
CBN Governor,I greet you.Such a pained soul.Do not rejoice,The ban has no effect.Conversions and exchanges firmly intact

Sorry I don't have solution to how the new CBN policy affected your life but I don't feel for fraudster.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by ermias11: 9:46pm On Feb 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
So because of activities of Yahoo boys and kidnappers the world Bank told the CBN to ban crypto currency undecided and like a fool too the CBN agreed angry

If not that the Nigerian government is foolish aren't they suppose to weigh the pros and cons before enforcing the directive.

What can't dey ask the same United States why they haven't banned crypto currency in their own country undecided

Abeg where you read say World bank/US tell dem make dem ban am? If na the same thing me and you read, nowhere wey dem talk say na world bank/us tell dem make dem ban am. Dem simply talk say dem yan them say people dey use am thief money. CBN con do wetin dem fit do
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rickylambert: 9:50pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

Sorry I don't have solution to how the new CBN policy affected your life but I don't feel for fraudster.
Open ur brain to get in touch with reality and start to participate in existence.Obviously,Issues outside the territory of ur CBN will plug u into an awe of darkness and uninformed.
Reason you call many ppl Fraudstars.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Fcwilly: 9:54pm On Feb 07, 2021
Now that am about to make money from pi network and innovative Q na im criminals wan spoil my show, chukwu aju.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Rickylambert: 9:54pm On Feb 07, 2021
bizhop01:

Why are you still blind in 2021?
Not only criminals make used of bitcoins, i invested in bitcoin on early 2014 i made it big through this.
There are too many of them with 16th century mentality in 2021.They are everywere polluting media space.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by SaintLucia: 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2021
Rickylambert:
Open ur brain to get in touch with reality and start to participate in existence.Obviously,Issues outside the territory of ur CBN will plug u into an awe of darkness and uninformed.
Reason you call many ppl Fraudstars.

Sorry I don't have solution to how the new CBN policy affected your life but I don't feel for fraudster. Look for another legitimate work.
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Cutiekatty: 10:00pm On Feb 07, 2021
joey150:
Truth be told, cryptocurrency, with its "anonymity', have given several unscrupulous scamming elements the propensity to scam unabated and without fear.

Having an unregulated and largely anonymous global currency might sound cool, but when you think of all the harm that 10% of the world population can and will do with it, it would greatly outnumber the benefits for the other 90%.

I know yahoo boys that have made a killing through scamming people, getting the funds converted into crypto and using one of the multiple exchanges here to withdraw their funds. A regular banking system would leave a paper trail that's easy to follow. Blockchain can be traced, but it's a very complex process that can be made even harder for those that can get around it.

We know some people are genuine crypto traders and have positive use for crypto. But the fear is, in a country like Nigeria, scammers will do the worst with it.

The government should rightfully be worried that millions of dollars that they cannot regulate, trace or control, is being syphoned in and out of this country via cryptocurrency.

Point of correction, cryptocurrency wasn't banned. The government cannot ban cryptocurrency because it's a digital currency. The government has only told exchanges that we cannot continue to allow you to exchange and covert naira to a digital coin that we have no direct control over.

It's a controversial decision, but given that politicians can launder money with it in seconds, yahoo boys can dupe with it in minutes and kidnappers can demand untraceable ransoms, you'll see why this extreme step may have been taken.

If your first response to this is afterall the politicians are already stealing, then you should seriously question your education. If one man gets away with murder, must we then use the excuse to pardon all murderers?

What about the kidnappers collecting cash who is checkmating them?
See, truth be told,it won't affect yahoo boys as they thought it would, most of these guys have a working bank account in other Africa countries linked with active ATM. These boys will still cash out. What the government should do is to use EFCC to employ some of the good hackers among them to fight them. Not this systematic bully we see everywhere. When it come to fraud Nigeria dey learn, America, north Korea and Russia are the world headquarters of fraud. Imaging people that will become jobless because of this action. You don't want fraud, these jobless people will do what now? Yahoo, kidnapping or ritual. Are we making things better or worse?
Re: How FBI Warned FG, CBN On Scammers Using Cryptocurrencies To Defraud The West by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 07, 2021
SaintLucia:

Sorry go and read your WAEC past questions. Or better still watch Tom and Jerry which is good to people that bear joystick.
Ole politician.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Graduate Who Sells Irish Potatoes In Jos Becomes Online Sensation / Aliko Dangote's 60th Birthday Cake Is Quite Creative (Photo) / First Bank Confirms Merger, Acquisition Talks With Heritage And Polaris Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.