Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria (61116 Views)

Breaking: CBN Lists Reasons It Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria / Can We Stop The Ignorance? CBN Did Not Ban Cryptocurrency In Nigeria / Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by OROSUNBOLB(m): 8:07am On Feb 08, 2021
What won't we see in a country that's headed by a feather headed herdsman ! While the rest of the world is progressing and running on a fast lane,Nigeria on the other hand is going backward because those who believe they own the country ,the born to rule retards deem progress and development as haram !

The useless savages who pride themselves as the conquerors of Hausa people and their lands are the clogs in the wheel of Nigeria's progress. Whatever they touch becomes blood and pains. One of them is the current President and that's why nothing is working and will never work as long as the Daura man still calls the shots from aso rock.

Nigeria is doomed !

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Glorylynn: 8:08am On Feb 08, 2021
There is no single point in this long text undecided
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Euegene100001: 8:12am On Feb 08, 2021
Lol u try as u even take read am self
Thermodynamics:
you banned crypto currency because Buhari told you to, in a bid to prevent people from sponsoring any future protest against bad governance and oppression. CBN is corrupt, they should stop speaking English, we are not kids, we already know the truth.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by ronaldbecky(m): 8:37am On Feb 08, 2021
chukemmang:
Only a fool will believe that the Nigerian government will make any policy that will be in favour of the citizens of Nigeria.

This buhari government are thieves. They have embezzled all pension funds. The sweat of all Nigerian workers. They now came to our money in the banks. They are starting with dormant accounts. When they finish stealing that one, they will now come to our normal accounts.

They are angry that they cannot access our Cryptocurrency and can see a lot of Nigerians getting smart and converting their naira to crypto. So they now came with this deceit to deceive ignorant Nigerians to leave money in their bank accounts so that they can steal it.

Yeye government.
exactly

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by MrCodeSolo: 8:48am On Feb 08, 2021
You did not ban cryptocurrency aboki! You only banned its bank payment processing for anything crypto trade related, in as much as a nigeria citizen uses ATM cards that are owned and serviced by Nigerian banks....

Bunch of long useless generations of leadership since time immemorial with zero visionary policies. Going by history; they keep showcasing incompetencies and continue breasting corruption while the average citizen is denied full working economic infrastructures to maximize his/her potentials. It's high time I dusted my int'l passport and look for at least a country that doesnt treat people and immigrants like shit...

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Tonyblessed(m): 8:50am On Feb 08, 2021
Very good. Let them continue to ban. At least it would even affect the yorubas the most to give them sense. Abi, who voted this government in power. Let them enjoy their change.

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 08, 2021
While I don't like this particular government, I must say that the CBN made a lot of sense by this decision.

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by ronaldbecky(m): 8:53am On Feb 08, 2021
Dosoq:
Naija I hail thee.

Pls,who has heard about SAGE INVESTMENT??
It offers 50% interest after 3months .

Want to know how legit it is to avoid stories that touch the heart��

Pls,if you have an idea,pls share
he, who was has ears let him hear,life is all about risk..
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Goldbw122(m): 8:53am On Feb 08, 2021
Even if transaction is banned it can be transact through back door.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by OgeFather(m): 8:56am On Feb 08, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
mumu cbn.... perused through the article as I put on my intellectual cap to read between lines while blazing my weed....I must say this article is devoid and bereft of intellect and nous
We go dey do Ptpt
If you are a niggarrrr and you understand what I meant by ptpt then you must be a real niggarr...

Light up my last tie of weed for the night as i return back to my huzzle and bombing...whether Nigeria government like it or not ....there will always be light and fire at the end of my weed while I puff from the other end

All what this Nigeria government wants is for us to be young, dumb and broke.....we reject it...

Nah...my guy what the CBN is saying is right, nobody is issuing, nobody is regulating and no one to hold accountable for, this is MMM for the future

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Godfraey(m): 9:01am On Feb 08, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
mumu cbn.... perused through the article as I put on my intellectual cap to read between lines while blazing my weed....I must say this article is devoid and bereft of intellect and nous
We go dey do Ptpt
If you are a niggarrrr and you understand what I meant by ptpt then you must be a real niggarr...

Light up my last tie of weed for the night as i return back to my huzzle and bombing...whether Nigeria government like it or not ....there will always be light and fire at the end of my weed while I puff from the other end

All what this Nigeria government wants is for us to be young, dumb and broke.....we reject it...

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Growing(m): 9:16am On Feb 08, 2021
blackmaine:
Ogah we still dey buy btc we no gree for this one

How are you buying BTC now?
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by gheekhone: 9:33am On Feb 08, 2021
PrinceMajestic:
nothing is innovative about it. It is just another deadly ponzi scheme like mmm. You Nigerians love to learn the hardest way. I remember in 2017 when fg repeatedly warned Nigerians on mmm scam but it was people like you who felt you are too wise that refused to listen and encouraged others to fall for the scam. If you're reasonble you will attest that CBN is absolutely right on its submission.

I don't do Ponzi schemes bros. Also, do not compare an innovation on distributed computing to multilevel marketing. Please read up. Distributed ledger technology has use cases that will ensure it always has value. The CBN just wants those who have invested in cryptos to move their funds back to banks period.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by newisd75: 9:33am On Feb 08, 2021
does loan & looting by d fg not cause d value of d naira 2 fall?
this cbn & buhari madness 2 protect d naira at all cost, by the ban of some imported goods, money transfer services, crytocurrency, has not prevented d naira to fall to N493 for $1
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by timsucess(m): 9:36am On Feb 08, 2021
Dosoq:
Naija I hail thee.

Pls,who has heard about SAGE INVESTMENT??
It offers 50% interest after 3months .

Want to know how legit it is to avoid stories that touch the heart��

Pls,if you have an idea,pls share
Am interested to know too
Please notify me when you get good info about it
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by olaboy1: 9:49am On Feb 08, 2021
GeneralPula:

The only reason why FG banned crypto is simply cuz they’ve discovered some politicians are now using it as a means to store stolen funds..

I think it’s because the banks are complaining of low cash inflow. Customers are moving their money from the banks to crypto exchanges, this has affected lending power of the banks and thereby all that high interest rates are out of the window.
Before monkey they work gorilla they chop!!! The banks are fighting back so as to maintain their lavish lifestyles
The people vs the government
I see the people winning this one. The banks cannot force us to bring our money to them, and if they don’t join the movement they are going to be so left behind and obsolete. Nigerians will trade using stable coins as means of transactions p2p.
A lot of underground exchanges will spring up that are not taxable.
If they try to block isp using the telcos, many will switch to VPN forcing down the price of VPN.
The ease of cross border transfer of money to family and friends using crypto currencies cannot be over emphasized. We don’t have the time and energy to be on the phone with one bank account officer just to make a quick and emergency cross border transfer.

4 Likes

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by oluyomi71935: 9:51am On Feb 08, 2021
:Ogah we still dey buy btc we no gree for this oneHow are you buying BTC now?
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by ronaldbecky(m): 9:55am On Feb 08, 2021
sharone21:
The best thing this government has ever done. We have the stock market, Nigerians home and abroad can invest in it as this can be done online eg Meristem stock brokers( not marketing for them though). Let us build our market and restore confidence in it.
Many Nigerians have been defrauded through cryptocurrency. A company like Luno will even hoard your money even when you have NO business with bitcoin, Luno or ponzi schemes. CBN well done and swiftly investigate LUNO company including other alternative routes they may want to access the hard earned cash of many Nigerians.
CBN THANKS. A LOT.
ur mama toto

2 Likes

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 08, 2021
Wrong wrong wrong. Crypto is not any problem of this country. This is all fear based on politics and the ability of people to become strong opponents by election time- highly unlikely because crypto is not easily converted to cash especially within Nigeria.

This has always been the Nigerian problem. The whole country should suffer because some politicians want to hold unto what is not theirs. Very bad judgement here.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:59am On Feb 08, 2021
einsteine:
Silly arguments.

Have we banned 100 dollar bills even though that's the favourite way politicians store their loot?

If anyone thinks governments will allow an alternate means of payment completely outside their control to supplant fiat money is dreaming.

In the end governments will band together and send BTC to the fringes of the internet, if they can't completely regulate it.

If it's declared illegal, lots of law abiding citizens won't touch it with a long pole.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by rotile247(m): 10:19am On Feb 08, 2021
jedisco:
Seems they just regurgitated some overflogged and ignorant cons or crypt0 without equally examining the pros.

Lets examine the reasons

1. Banned in other countries- definitely not in Canada. Even with the ban in China, 70% of bitc0in is mined in China. As per the remaining countries- their names speak for themselves. How about the US, Canada, UK etc who aloow it to be traded freely even by their banks? You can buy crypt0 from the bank app of some Western banks

2. WB- hehe. See what a central bank is saying. Hope they also asked him what he thinks of multiple exchange rates, paying fuel subsidy and giving scarce forex at a discount to those going on pilgrimage to spend in other countries. Also, how about asking him what he thought of current internet giants like Amazon, google e.t.c.. and why its not banned in his country. We should also ask Lord Lugard since we're asking dinosaurs

3. Andrew Bailey's speech- Bank of England Gov. Folks pls spare a minute and read his view on the crypt0 space.
It critically examines it all, pros and cons and how they regulate the sector. No wonder they colonised Nigeria. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/speech/2020/andrew-bailey-speech-on-the-future-of-cryptocurrencies-and-stablecoins

4. 'Reports' on kidnapping, terrorism... This is so basic there is nothing to say. Lets hope the ban will stop herdsmen from kidnapping and pillaging the country.

5. Central bank backed digital currencies- the name variant means nothing. Whether its called crypt0 or central bank currency. The underlying tech is thesame.

6. Protect the youths- lol... This is the only time Nigeria wants to protect her youths more than the EU, UK, USA, Canada e.t.c... good protectors indeed.

7. Volatility- The volatility in the US stock market last year has made that of crypt0 look like a joke. Guess they should end their stock market to.

8. Legal tender- Bitc0in was never meant to replace fiat or be a legal tender. Countries can make fiat banking on thesame tech but bitc0in remains a store of value not a legal tender.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm ashamed of CBN and Nigeria.
Those in the sector know this does nothing. It only makes what is a simple process in other countries more complex here as usual.

Today, Asia (China) does the mining, the West own the exchanges, Africans are excluding themselves. Tomorrow, they'd say digital currencies were made to impoverish Africans.

It's February 2021. lets see how this decision will age.

Exquisite!
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by GOOOGLE504(m): 10:20am On Feb 08, 2021
These people just like dubbing China. As if we run same type of government. MFs
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Tye1: 10:23am On Feb 08, 2021
Officialhorlah:

https://dailypost.ng/2021/02/07/breaking-why-we-banned-cryptocurrency-in-nigeria-cbn/
Half truth... China banned it and developed China Central Bank Digitized currency. Later you and your Master will now go there to borrow Billions they made from being innovative and smart. Countries are taking advantage of the tide Nigerian leaders are running from responsibility. Then Later you will blame past administration for the current poverty you plunged Nigeria.... anyway BMC your silence is over, your Darling Daddy has spoken through his mouth piecessssss, continue your job.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by GeneralPula: 10:26am On Feb 08, 2021
olaboy1:

I think it’s because the banks are complaining of low cash inflow. Customers are moving their money from the banks to crypto exchanges, this has affected lending power of the banks and thereby all that high interest rates are out of the window.
Before monkey they work gorilla they chop!!! The banks are fighting back so as to maintain their lavish lifestyles
The people vs the government
I see the people winning this one. The banks cannot force us to bring our money to them, and if they don’t join the movement they are going to be so left behind and obsolete. Nigerians will trade using stable coins as means of transactions p2p.
A lot of underground exchanges will spring up that are not taxable.
If they try to block isp using the telcos, many will switch to VPN forcing down the price of VPN.
The ease of cross border transfer of money to family and friends using crypto currencies cannot be over emphasized. We don’t have the time and energy to be on the phone with one bank account officer just to make a quick and emergency cross border transfer.

Nothing but the truth !

1 Like

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by arcdone(m): 10:26am On Feb 08, 2021
Hello my fellow Nigerians, Great pioneers and future millionaires..

The banning of cryptocurrency dealings through banks by our CBN is a stepping stone for us in pi network, a blessing in disguise.
Wanna know how?
Yes..! It is true that Nekamoto Satoshi introduced a peer to peer payment system without the indulgence of the government but did he actually achieve it?
It is true he conceived the idea of a decentralised payment system but how come this banning is affecting us so much? Did he attain his supposed dream? Should what happened to we Nigerians and Indians happen to every country of the world, then sadly, the quest for cryptocurrency will gradually die. Yes. If we remember what Warren Buffet said about cryptocurrency.. That cryptocurrency has no value because it cannot buy anything except you selling it to another and another selling it to another.

Now tell me how many shops openly accept cryptocurrency? How many shops accept tron, ethereum, stellar, ripples? If not for exchanges, how do you think we would have succeeded even before this ban? Since we know that it is a fearful thing to involve in peer to peer buying and selling of cryptocurrency. What if they flee with our money after paying for the coin or what if they flee with our coin after transferring them the money? Unfortunately, we have gone back to the era that before you buy or sell crypto, you must look for a trustworthy buyer or seller who transfers you the money or coin since we can't withdraw or buy directly to and fro our debit and credit cards..

Pay attention..

Pi network is the only hope. It is now glaring that Dr. Nicolas is the actual innovator of modern day monetary system by creating an ecosystem where you don't need to convert your pi money to fiat currency before spending it which supersedes the model of Nekamoto Satoshi. Right here in pi network, we won't be needing exchanges to convert pi money. We can directly buy almost everything with our pi coin. This is why the core team is fighting tooth and nail for the creation of utilities all over the world.
This is also why mining didn't end at 10million engaged pioneers. This is also the reason we need billions of people in pi network because pi network will be a global crypto that won't derive its value only when you sell to another but you will use it to buy from almost every malls. Don't forget, we are trying to change the narrative of money. The government can't stop the people. They only had the power now because we are still attracted to their centralized fiat but now that medium has been blocked, the only way is PI NETWORK.

HOW?
The only reason we need money or raw cash is to be able to purchase our needs right?
Tell me what will happen when crypto dealers can't change their money to Fiat currency because of the ban but they can change it to pi because pi can buy almost everything? Let's be critical.. Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency may fall because they will be dumping it for pi coin that can buy anything and anywhere. More utilities and ecology will be created because many traders would want to own pi money by selling off their goods. This is another reason pi should continue mining because the coins we have right now won't be enough for everyone especially for people like me that wants to use just 30% of my total earnings and keep the rest for my generation as inheritance. �

Have you ever thought of this...?
Imagine if pi halves and halves to zero, imagine if 50 million people join pi network, they won't be able to mine up to a thousand pi coin. This will force many to buy. Now, imagine the scarcity of pi when 50million people are buying from 12M pioneers... Imagine the rush... Imagine when all the apps like all the apps you use and spend money in will be made available in pi network where you spend only pi?

For this reason, let's thank Dr. Nicolas and the hardworking core team for this insight and also thank our government for digging the early grave of Naira. Just sadly enough that pi network is not yet launched, we would have experience the massive influx of crypto dealers because Nigeria is the largest cryptocurrency market in Africa.

Fret not. Always think positive.
Happy Mining
If you want to join the train contact me, ��
https:///2348059247401

Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Tye1: 10:27am On Feb 08, 2021
GOOOGLE504:
These people just like dubbing China. As if we run same type of government. MFs
. They did not dub China o, China has developed a Digitized Central Bank and they are getting ready to be at the fore front of digital Currency. CBN banned it for the sake of following blindly.

Please Google China Central Bank Digitized currency. You will see that people are using there brain over there. While in Nigeria Leaders are just carrying Head up and down with zero usage
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Tye1: 10:29am On Feb 08, 2021
These people just like dubbing China. As if we run same type of government. MFs[/quote]. They did not dub China o, China has developed a Digitized Central Bank and they are getting ready to be at the fore front of digital Currency. CBN banned it for the sake of following blindly.

Please Google China Central Bank Digitized currency. You will see that people are using there brain over there. While in Nigeria Leaders are just carrying Head up and down with zero usage
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Yseone(m): 10:33am On Feb 08, 2021
They should come and ban Pool & other betting system too
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 08, 2021
CBN don too dey showma, Dem think say na only Dem Sabi make financial decisions abi...
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Tye1: 10:44am On Feb 08, 2021
Officialhorlah:

https://dailypost.ng/2021/02/07/breaking-why-we-banned-cryptocurrency-in-nigeria-cbn/
Half truth... China banned it and developed China Central Bank Digitized currency. Later you and your Master will now go there to borrow Billions they made from being innovative and smart. Countries are taking advantage of the tide Nigerian leaders are running from responsibility. Then Later you will blame past administration for the current poverty you plunged Nigeria.... anyway BMC your silence is over, your Darling Daddy has spoken through his mouth piecessssss, continue your job.
Re: CBN: Why We Banned Cryptocurrency In Nigeria by Lordpeckxy(m): 10:49am On Feb 08, 2021
bla bla bla Thats what he was just saying... couldn't even pick out a valid reason.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The 10 Most Expensive Alcoholic Drinks On Earth / What Bank Pays The Best Interest Rate For Savings Account In Nigeria? / Anthony Enukem Tonimas: Champion Of Think Home Philosophy In Igbo Land-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.