Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns (32945 Views)

Enugu: Ette Community Endorses Ugwuanyi For Senate, Peter Mbah, PDP Candidates / Election Campaigns: INEC Lists Guidelines For Conduct Of Rallies / Enugu Community Charging Station In Nkanu East LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Rodwave: 5:55pm On Feb 09, 2021
Babaibe:

I will never stoop so low to your level. It is a free world. If you need a coherent story for publication, you can consult your elders in Ette. Your choice of words is very insulting and I doubt it if you have manners at all.
Your first and the last statement is hilariously unfortunate. By mere looking at your reply, even a blind man can easily decipher how irresponsible you are with your comments. Anyway it's okay sha
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Coolgent(m): 11:04am On Feb 10, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
Politicians are useless sha

Use your sense of reasoning before commenting
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Stanleyq: 11:24am On Feb 10, 2021
simhosting:
Fill in the blank space
Ok
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Revolva(m): 4:21pm On Feb 10, 2021
pazienza:

Stop writing nonsense.
Ette belongs to Ezike people. That their ancestors were grateful enough to harbour Igala refugees and Idoma migrants who now outnumber few of the Igbos there, does not give you right to start claiming people land.

Ette has always been part of Eastern region from the very beginning because the aboriginal Igbos there despite now being outnumbered by Idomas and Igala migrants remains proud Igbos and ensured the land stays in Igbo land.

The Idoma migrants who constitute the majority in Ette understand the situation and are grateful to their Igbo hosts, but you Igalas keep causing trouble. You will all soon be deported to Idah where your hapless ancestors came from l, if you continue on this part.

There are no Igala speakers in Nzam. Nzam speak Igala as second language for easy trade and interactions with their Igala neighbors.
Nzam is fully an Igbo speaking community.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nzam

This is how some of you Igalas went about editing Nzam Wikipedia page months ago to reflect your Igala agenda.

you are funny , that there are no igala in nzam.....hahaha very funny....then how come the villages are named in igala... nzam are from igala and they migrated there as well ok

why would igbos speak igala as a second language for trade with who.....
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by pazienza(m): 10:39pm On Feb 10, 2021
Revolva:

you are funny , that there are no igala in nzam.....hahaha very funny....then how come the villages are named in igala... nzam are from igala and they migrated there as well ok

why would igbos speak igala as a second language for trade with who.....

Villages are named in Igala because there was an Igala invasion of Nzam led by general Ajida. The Igbo indigenes had to vacate the land. The Igalas settled there for a while. But the Igbos went and regrouped and recruited more fighters, came back and retook Nzam from Igala invaders, killed many of them in battle, sent many back to Idah. The few obedient ones were assimilated as Igbos.
That's the story of Nzam. It has always been an Igbo land.

They speak Igala as second language because they in the past use to trade with the Igalas who are not far away from them in Kogi.
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Revolva(m): 7:12am On Feb 11, 2021
pazienza:

Villages are named in Igala because there was an Igala invasion of Nzam led by general Ajida. The Igbo indigenes had to vacate the land. The Igalas settled there for a while. But the Igbos went and regrouped and recruited more fighters, came back and retook Nzam from Igala invaders, killed many of them in battle, sent many back to Idah. The few obedient ones were assimilated as Igbos.
That's the story of Nzam. It has always been an Igbo land.

They speak Igala as a second language because they in the past use to trade with the Igalas who are not far away from them in Kogi.

True history you talked there, then the remaining igalas that settled there that are being assimilated are the igalas that multiplied more in Nzam till date

am not saying there are no indigenous igbos there, and if truly general Ajida men were chased out and retook Nzam from igalas invader then why did the villages still bear igala name...

Oga you self make you de reason well na...again there may be secondary migration later on from ibaji which is close by within time...to settle in Nzam and all other areas like Ebu, Illah in present day Delta state
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by osuofia2(m): 10:22am On Feb 11, 2021
Ette is a good place, the people are hospitable but the community lack basic amenities like hospital, road,water etc. i have been there severally as a Fulani man,
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by kpompey: 10:33am On Feb 11, 2021
Rodwave:

Your first and the last statement is hilariously unfortunate. By mere looking at your reply, even a blind man can easily decipher how irresponsible you are with your comments. Anyway it's okay sha

You must be a mad man and should be in isolation in a thick forest. You started this nonsense and this compelled the guy to send you back home. Tell me, is it a crime to serve in ette or what do you mean by incoherence. You want him to take side with you and start writing rubbish. It is better you go back to school yourself cos to me your cranium seems empty. Idiot.

1 Like

Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Rodwave: 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2021
kpompey:

You must be a mad man and should be in isolation in a thick forest. You started this nonsense and this compelled the guy to send you back home. Tell me, is it a crime to serve in ette or what do you mean by incoherence. You want him to take side with you and start writing rubbish. It is better you go back to school yourself cos to me your cranium seems empty. Idiot.

You need total brain overhaul. Your people deserve better than this unfortunate being.
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by kpompey: 2:00pm On Feb 11, 2021
Rodwave:

You need total brain overhaul. Your people deserve better than this unfortunate being.

You are a disgrace to Ette community and it seems you are frustrated with life. It is better you commit suicide rather than fighting people like rabies infected dog
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Rodwave: 7:28pm On Feb 11, 2021
kpompey:

You are a disgrace to Ette community and it seems you are frustrated with life. It is better you commit suicide rather than fighting people like rabies infected dog

You should have been swapped with a baby monkey.
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by kpompey: 2:26pm On Feb 12, 2021
Rodwave:

You should have been swapped with a baby monkey.

I think a baby monkey is more prudent than you. Fool
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by bigfrancis21: 9:07pm On Feb 18, 2021
Revolva:

True history you talked there, then the remaining igalas that settled there that are being assimilated are the igalas that multiplied more in Nzam till date

am not saying there are no indigenous igbos there, and if truly general Ajida men were chased out and retook Nzam from igalas invader then why did the villages still bear igala name...

Oga you self make you de reason well na...again there may be secondary migration later on from ibaji which is close by within time...to settle in Nzam and all other areas like Ebu, Illah in present day Delta state

An Igala community far away from Igala land and surrounded by Igbo speaking areas is considered Igala land? If for example, somewhere deep in Kogi state near Idah, we have an Igbo speaking village named Umuchukwu where the people speak Igbo but their land is far disconnected from the Igbo hinterland. Would you consider Umuchukwu, located deep inside Igala territory, Igboland?

In fact, I’ve come across several towns in Igala land with obviously Igbo names such as Akunuba, Aniocha, Echenwa, Obele, Anambra, Amaka etc which point to possible Igbo ancestors in Igala land who got assimilated into Igala culture over time, thus making the people there Igbo by ancestry (if we go by similar argument used to foreign settlers in Igboland). I wouldn’t quickly assume these names were Igbo especially if they have a native Igala meaning.
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by Revolva(m): 9:17pm On Feb 18, 2021
bigfrancis21:

An Igala community far away from Igala land and surrounded by Igbo speaking areas is considered Igala land? If for example, somewhere deep in Kogi state near Idah, we have an Igbo speaking village named Umuchukwu where the people speak Igbo but their land is far disconnected from the Igbo hinterland. Would you consider Umuchukwu, located deep inside Igala territory, Igboland?

In fact, I’ve come across several towns in Igala land with obviously Igbo names such as Akunuba, Anambra, Amaka etc which point to possible Igbo ancestors in Igala land who got assimilated into Igala culture over time, thus making the people there Igbo by ancestry (if we go by similar argument used to foreign settlers in Igboland). I wouldn’t quickly assume these names were Igbo especially if they have a native Igala meaning.

Oga even in ibaji there is a village name nwajala but we know that these people maybe settlers who became very gala witin time but that is not to say that the ibaji original igalas are not the more of the population

Let me be frank � you nzam are from idah who cross to the other side of the room very when migrating via ibaji ok it's simple and clear

That one they even know about it ....many anamnbra north villages were Igalans

I have a family friend from nteje he told my dad such that his village nteje is igala by ancestry that they came from.idah to settle there looking ago that they don't speak igala again but Igbo because of that he sees us as his brothers and he even sleep in our home when he comes to Lagos for business if he can't afford a hotel

So oga relax how much more of an anambra that speak igala ... Bonaventure enemali is part of Anambra state governors administration he is from those igala speaking areas to handle the igalas minorities in anambra

Make u self de reason
Re: Ette Enugu Community Where Politicians Visit Only During Election Campaigns by bigfrancis21: 9:34pm On Feb 18, 2021
Revolva:

Oga even in ibaji there is a village name nwajala but we know that these people maybe settlers who became very gala witin time but that is not to say that the ibaji original igalas are not the more of the population

Let me be frank � you nzam are from idah who cross to the other side of the room very when migrating via ibaji ok it's simple and clear

That one they even know about it ....many anamnbra north villages were Igalans

I have a family friend from nteje he told my dad such that his village nteje is igala by ancestry that they came from.idah to settle there looking ago that they don't speak igala again but Igbo because of that he sees us as his brothers and he even sleep in our home when he comes to Lagos for business if he can't afford a hotel

So oga relax how much more of an anambra that speak igala ... Bonaventure enemali is part of Anambra state governors administration he is from those igala speaking areas to handle the igalas minorities in anambra

Make u self de reason

@bold...is it hard to apply this same line of reasoning to Nzam?

Nzam and Ebu are right next to each other. Igalas were known travellers, travelling to foreign lands to settle. They were highly feared in the past by many Northern Igbo villages due to their powerful Attah. Nzam and Ebu are located in Anambra and Delta states and have histories of Igala invasion/settlers in both areas respectively, however, they met native Igbo speakers there and assimilated into the greater Igbo culture. No doubt, plenty Igalas settled in present day Northern Igbo land but it would be far-to-fetch to claim an entire village such as Nteje or any other as 100% Igala origin. Groups of smaller numbers always get assimilated into the larger community and never vice versa. Igala settlers, being men most of the time, would have had to marry females from their local communities to procreate and have children who most likely will grow up speaking the language of their mother/host communities (and maybe understand or speak their father's language- Igala) but by the third generation, they would all be Igbo in culture and tradition.

It is very obvious that Igbo land was sort of a refugee land in the past for many fleeing settlers - be it from Bini, Ondo, Igala land. The absence of a general king system - which often meant tyrant kings once in a while, made Igbo land attractive to refugees who sought to settle in an area free from tyrant kingship and unfavorable rules. Arable lands suitable for agriculture was another attractive feature. Igbo communities, being republican in nature with affairs in the hands of the people/elders, were very accommodating. Ethnic group/tribe as we know it today did not exist and what people knew were their villages where they came from or migrated to. Thus, people easily crossed language borders into new communities and adopted new villages as their own, with little or no tribal identification as we know it today. Thus, many northern Igbo areas accommodated refugees within, and vice versa. Igbo speakers spread equally into the Igala areas of Ibaji and co. A white expeditionist wrote in his book that 'I find that knowledge of Igbo(Nsukka Igbo) was valuable after crossing the Nsukka area and 2 days deep into the Igala hinterland by foot', and that 'I did not find the reverse to be true when making a journey from Igala to Igbo land', 'which indicates the more powerful influence of the Igbo language'. Clearly he was referring to the Ibaji-Igala Mela/Odolu areas and surroundings where Igbo is often spoken as a native and second language.

As regards your friend's postulation, I would take that with an inch of salt. Igboland as we know it is politically divided. The civil war dealt a huge blow to our general confidence. A lot of us find it exotic to claim ancestry from other areas EXCEPT Igboland, be it Bini, Igala etc., even when it is clearly untrue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos State Government Commissions Rehabilitayed Adeniji Adele And Tapa Street / Amotekun Is Unconstitutional - Maigari Dingyadi, Police Affairs Minister / Obadiah Mailafia: Bandits Sponsored By Those Who Wanted Jonathan Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.