Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,527 members, 7,861,526 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:55 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (970922 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
tucurj:
[color=#990000][/color][i][/i]
pls help me out,my isa brown layers of 150 are now 16wks,i was planning on giving them eds vaccine before when they are 18wks but looking at things now,i cant aford it,can i use komarov instead?i heard it can be given at 8wks and 16wks but i did not give them at wk8,pls what should i do.pls i need ur advice.
If it means borrowing money to complete the vaccination plan, do so. Taking short cuts may work sometimes, but not for long. And make sure that the person buying the vaccine for you is not cheating u. Better buy it urself from reputable places like animal care.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:32pm On Apr 23, 2015
AkayTopsy:

To God be the glory the output has improved by 2%. tnx 4 d follow up bro. how r u coping with the demand pressure from customers?

good to hear that bro.

The demand is high. How I wish I have more birds.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tucurj(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2015
FarmTech:

If it means borrowing money to complete the vaccination plan, do so. Taking short cuts may work sometimes, but not for long. And make sure that the person buying the vaccine for you is not cheating u. Better buy it urself from reputable places like animal care.
thanks farmtech
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bishiie(m): 1:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
Livestock business is a good and profitable business that can transform you from grass to grace. As good as the business is, it can also transform you from grace to grass if care is not taken. From experience, one of the major problem with farmers is they always want to take shout-cut, which is wrong. Negative use of information is another killer in the industry. In as much as there is difference between credentials and certificate, investors and professionals are not also the same thing. In livestock business, the way an economist, accountant or any other professional will think will be far more different from a professional in livestock management. You might have been in the business for years, yet it does not make you a professional, because the fact that you have become a caring mother for decades does not mean you can know more than a medical professional. While most investors will want to gain much, yet they will not want to spend much on those animals in their custody. Personally I don't encourage diagnosing diseases online especially group forum, because instead of people to learn, they will just copy and paste what's online to their farm or begin to carry wrong interpretation of the information and when they have problem, they will begin to blame everybody forgetting that even all things been equal, Aco Black and Isa Brown birds will not perform the same way not to talk of when you don't even know the strain of your birds. I guess the main purpose of social network this is to meet both investors and professionals who are willing to improve the industry not compound the existing problem(s).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 1:17pm On Apr 24, 2015
a little online reading and i saw this....VACCINE REPLACING HERBS....

http://www.naturalnews.com/038682_oregano_chickens_healthy.html .....OREGANO
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol3Iss2/MWALE.pdf ..........AOE VERA,ALOE SPICATA

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 2:46pm On Apr 24, 2015
Bishiie. I saw a similar submission to this today on FB. I assume it is from the same person. Your piece has some valid points. However, I must say that there have been people here who have acknowledged benefits derived from diagnosis/prescriptions made here. To that effect, we won't throw away the baby with the bath water on the say-so of someone who I suspect is a well-meaning Vet.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nonny1234: 3:13pm On Apr 24, 2015
FarmTech:

U can get a sample feed plan here: http://www.farmersjoint.com/blog/livestock-farming/poultry/feed-consumption-plan-body-weight-target-laying-hens/

Thanks.. Pls like how much wld it take to build a coop that can contain about 1200 birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Bishiie(m): 3:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
Eggcelent:
Bishiie. I saw a similar submission to this today on FB. I assume it is from the same person. Your piece has some valid points. However, I must say that there have been people here who have acknowledged benefits derived from diagnosis/prescriptions made here. To that effect, we won't throw away the baby with the bath water on the say-so of someone who I suspect is a well-meaning Vet.
Please don't get it wrong, we are all here to learn, not that you just send the treatments to your farm just because someone has said that online, even when its not applicable to your farm. How can someone be saying she must debeak birds that have been laying and over a year. Just because someone said to avoid cannibalism, its good to debeak. And it really cause problem for the farm manager. Or how can someone say online that the probably cause of death in poultry is anthrax.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigiyaro(m): 6:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
@basiie, u have not reallly said anything, however this forum is da bomb as far as am concern, am raisin 114 broiler chicks rite from docs for d very first time n i lost jst 6, d birds r six wks today. I got all my infos from dis forum, thanks to great guys like eggcellent, davisfarm,kevin n d oda members.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 7:37pm On Apr 24, 2015
good day house, some of my 2wks 4days old broilers are weakened and cannot stand on their legs, always lying down not moving around. I ve isolated them. what may be d problem and d way out.. its urgent
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 7:43pm On Apr 24, 2015
pathology:
good day house, some of my 2wks 4days old broilers are weakened and cannot stand on their legs, always lying down not moving around. I ve isolated them. what may be d problem and d way out.. its urgent
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 7:51pm On Apr 24, 2015
pathology:

Is it the legs that is weak or what?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 7:52pm On Apr 24, 2015
Bishiie. Ok. I get your point. It is important that individual farmers adapt any info gotten on online forum to the peculiarities of their farms.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 8:47pm On Apr 24, 2015
pathology:
PLS CHECK FOR OTHER SIGNS & SYMPTOMS. THEIR FEACES, FEATHER APPEARANCE, FACIAL SWELLING.
EQUALLY LETS KNOW UR MEDICATION AND VACCINATION HISTORY.
WISHING YOU THE VERY BEST.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 8:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
bigiyaro:
@basiie, u have not reallly said anything, however this forum is da bomb as far as am concern, am raisin 114 broiler chicks rite from docs for d very first time n i lost jst 6, d birds r six wks today. I got all my infos from dis forum, thanks to great guys like eggcellent, davisfarm,kevin n d oda members.

Well said brother.
some of us have really grown our farms using information from this forum and others
I have about 3 vets consulting for me and they are always amazed with the quality of information at my disposal.
Pls let's keep the good work and avoid unnecessarily distraction.
People on this forum are practicing farmers who are more than willing to share their day to day experiences, successes and challenges. You can study from the Best university in the world , however, when it comes to poultry farming. experience IS ALL THAT COUNTS.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:39pm On Apr 24, 2015
Nonny1234:

Thanks.. Pls like how much wld it take to build a coop that can contain about 1200 birds
Depends on ur area. Mine for about 400 birds (5birds/m2) or so goes for 200k.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigiyaro(m): 6:59am On Apr 25, 2015
pls my ogas in d farm, my broilers r six weeks +, all d vaccs have been done, pls i need a good antibiotic for maintainin dia health n preventing sickness or out break. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sugarsoul(m): 7:03am On Apr 25, 2015
Pls house, anyone with the idea how much a bag of layer's feed costs and how long can it last a 100 birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sugarsoul(m): 7:04am On Apr 25, 2015
bigiyaro:
pls my ogas in d farm, my broilers r six weeks +, all d vaccs have been done, pls i need a good antibiotic for maintainin dia health n preventing sickness or out break. Thanks
Six weeks? Hope you're considering selling them off
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 7:26am On Apr 25, 2015
sugarsoul:
Pls house, anyone with the idea how much a bag of layer's feed costs and how long can it last a 100 birds

How old are the birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 7:27am On Apr 25, 2015
bigiyaro:

Keproceryl will do the job

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sugarsoul(m): 7:39am On Apr 25, 2015
grownaira:

How old are the birds.
I'm a student and I wanna purchase P.O.L pullet birds for a start
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obstead200(m): 8:13am On Apr 25, 2015
My under construction.

Criticisms and comments are welcome
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigiyaro(m): 8:51am On Apr 25, 2015
sugarsoul:

Six weeks? Hope you're considering selling them off
dat should have been d case but, as a first timer,d birds had performance issues which were taken cared of,( thanks to d house.) i hope to dispose dem @ 8 weeks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bigiyaro(m): 8:53am On Apr 25, 2015
grownaira:

Keproceryl will do the job
thanks alot, bt is there oda alternative? Jst incase i culdnt get d keproceryl.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 10:28am On Apr 25, 2015
sugarsoul:

I'm a student and I wanna purchase P.O.L pullet birds for a start

Two bags will last for about 5days.
Note that if they start laying, a bag won't go more than 2days.

A bag costs btw 2,200 to 2,400 depending on the brand and location.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 10:33am On Apr 25, 2015
bigiyaro:
thanks alot, bt is there oda alternative? Jst incase i culdnt get d keproceryl.

Neoceryl. Although I personally prefer kepro

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 10:48am On Apr 25, 2015
davidzfarm18:

PLS CHECK FOR OTHER SIGNS & SYMPTOMS. THEIR FEACES, FEATHER APPEARANCE, FACIAL SWELLING.
EQUALLY LETS KNOW UR MEDICATION AND VACCINATION HISTORY.
WISHING YOU THE VERY BEST.

they re apparently healthy though had issues when they were delivered, lost about 200 of them ,contacted a vet and prescribed some drugs which I gave them all these treatment postponed dr 1st vaccine till 11th day and after 3rd day of gumboro mortality set in again and the chick was taken for pm and d vet said heat stress and mild sign of bursiditis, he prescribed a virucidal, floricol for 3 days, this treatment has also delayed giving them lasota. while on treatment regiment I discovered some with weak legs or paralysis. dy re eating well and faeces, feathers are normal. see attached picture

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 11:08am On Apr 25, 2015
pathology:

they re apparently healthy though had issues when they were delivered, lost about 200 of them ,contacted a vet and prescribed some drugs which I gave them all these treatment postponed dr 1st vaccine till 11th day and after 3rd day of gumboro mortality set in again and the chick was taken for pm and d vet said heat stress and mild sign of bursiditis, he prescribed a virucidal, floricol for 3 days, this treatment has also delayed giving them lasota. while on treatment regiment I discovered some with weak legs or paralysis. dy re eating well and faeces, feathers are normal. see attached picture

As for the general health condition of the birds, continue with the treatment(s) as advised by your vet.

As for the leg paralysis, it's most likely to be calcium/vitamin deficiency. Get them ultracal or calciplus
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Cleoo(f): 12:44pm On Apr 25, 2015
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Cleoo(f): 12:45pm On Apr 25, 2015
Hi farmers with swag and good heart, I really appreciate our efforts in helping each other grow. I ve been feeding my broilers starter (amo feed ), they will be 6 weeks on Tuesday next week, I didn't administer gumboro on the 10th day, lasota once, but no motarlity or stunted growth. Most of it are weighing upto 2kg already(they can barely walk) . As I was complaining to my feed vendor about how they consume feed and the expenses incured, she advised me to add corn, pkc, to the starter feed in other to save cost .. I started giving them the mixture dis morning, but got scared when I went to check on them 2 hours later, I noticed some of it were making weird noises, as if something is choking them. Am scared o! Did I make a mistake by adding pkc to its feed Should I ve waited till its seven weeks? Cuz I wanna sell it off at 8weeks... Please help a sister cuz these birds has been growing just fine no sickness (Even though I add drugs to their water on daily basis). Am so confused, cuz I heard pple add pkc to their feed, abi my own go different?

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.