Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965953 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 8:41pm On May 08, 2015
My local turkey just hatched its eggs yesterday. Any tips? This is my 1st time with local turkey. My turkey trampled on its chick. Some of its eggs are yet to hatch, is this normal?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:27pm On May 08, 2015
Obnelly,though the harsh heat do result in small sized egg. But with the sneezing you observed in some of them,your birds may be having complex CRD(most of them may not sneeze at all) which may also cause the low output,you can ask your vet about administering FLORFENICOL (hope i got d spelling) based drugs,from my read ups,its good for complex CRD,there is one marketed by zygosis. Also,check for lice,that is another culprit for low output,delouse if need be using pour on. Just my opinion.
obnelly:
Anybody using top feed for the past few months?
Kindly share you experience....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:01am On May 09, 2015
Eggcelent:
Annabechick. Your pen won't do for the number you are looking at. You need to increase the width to at least 26 feet. segun1976. 85g/day for 18 weeks old pullets in cages is OK (according to ISA Brown Management Guide). However, I'll suggest you pick several of them at random (especially, the smaller ones), weigh them to see if they are up to 1.5kg. If yes, stick with the 85g/bird/day for the week; if no, increase it to the 95g suggested. Success.
Just to make him know that if he is to rely on natural ventilation (ie no fans), the width shud not exceed 9m. 26ft is still within good range.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:02am On May 09, 2015
noblefarm:

ok sir. pls u any of any poultry farm in Ilorin I can visit?
.. No, I don't stay that side.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 7:07am On May 09, 2015
tabontabon:
Obnelly,though the harsh heat do result in small sized egg. But with the sneezing you observed in some of them,your birds may be having complex CRD(most of them may not sneeze at all) which may also cause the low output,you can ask your vet about administering FLORFENICOL (hope i got d spelling) based drugs,from my read ups,its good for complex CRD,there is one marketed by zygosis. Also,check for lice,that is another culprit for low output,delouse if need be using pour on. Just my opinion.
pls what and what are the effects of birds having lice and how can it be treated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:13am On May 09, 2015
tabontabon:

Tabontabon thanks for that useful and educative info.I will do as directed.Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:51am On May 09, 2015
Lice infestation results in low output and possible small sized eggs because the lice apart from feeding off d birds also cause irritation.
If you/your staff notice your body itching while close to/handling d birds,you need to watch it.
endy247:
pls what and what are the effects of birds having lice and how can it be treated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 11:58am On May 09, 2015
The Haugh unit is a measure of egg protein quality based on the height of its egg white (albumen).[1][2] The test was introduced by Raymond Haugh in 1937 [2] and is an important industry measure of egg quality next to other measures such as shell thickness and strength.[1]

An egg is weighed, then broken onto a flat surface (breakout method), and a micrometer used to determine the height of the thick albumen (egg white) that immediately surrounds the yolk. The height, correlated with the weight, determines the Haugh unit, or HU, rating. The higher the number, the better the quality of the egg (fresher, higher quality eggs have thicker whites). Although the measurement determines the protein content and freshness of the egg, it does not measure other important nutrient contents such as the micronutrient or vitamins present in the egg.
Formula

The formula for calculating the Haugh unit is:[1]

HU = 100 * log(h-1.7w^{0.37} + 7.6)

Where:

HU = Haugh unit
h = observed height of the albumen in millimeters
w = weight of egg in grams
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 12:37pm On May 09, 2015
Eggcelent:
TheShootist. There are some peculiar challenges with Deep Litter system. The major among these is infestation with lice. Also, increased manpower required to get a good result. Lastly, birds on Deep Lifter are required to eat more (about 10g/day/bird) than those in cages to attain equal level of production. Consequently, whatever savings you make on cages are lost on feeds in the long-term.

Hmm. Spot on sir. You're right there. I'll just stick to my cage plan.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Juliana7: 11:58pm On May 09, 2015
@grownaira, thanks, for d info and answer to my question
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 7:03am On May 10, 2015
tabontabon:
Lice infestation results in low output and possible small sized eggs because the lice apart from feeding off d birds also cause irritation.
If you/your staff notice your body itching while close to/handling d birds,you need to watch it.
ok thanks, bt how can it be treated? cos i've noticed it in my birds and i'm suspecting dat it might be d reason they haven't started laying @21 weeks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tucurj(m): 11:14am On May 10, 2015
am very happy to inform the house that my brown layers lay their first egg today @18wks 1day,and also thanks to everybody that helped me,@kelvin96,@davidsfarm,@farmtech,@jamp,@everybody, God will bless you all.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:18am On May 10, 2015
endy247:
ok thanks, bt how can it be treated? cos i've noticed it in my birds and i'm suspecting dat it might be d reason they haven't started laying @21 weeks.
U can give them ivermectin. They normally start laying between 18 and 24 weeks.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adetoyesem: 12:54pm On May 10, 2015
fresh noon to you all.
pls I need an assistance on how to treat fowl pox,
I have four month Turkey that have it and I have use some medication but not yet go.
eg L.A injection
medi dox
pous care
enrol sole
fowl pox.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 10, 2015
@tucurj, congrats oooo.
Am so happy for u. They started early. I hope they also reach 95% to 99 % soon.
It is possible.

Plz where did u buy d layers?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:05pm On May 10, 2015
Eggcelent:
jamp. It has been awhile since you last made a contribution here. Hope you are good.
my oga thanks for the care.i took my leave and travelled with my family to my vila and the network there is bad (lol). U are doing great keeping the forum alive. I miss u guys an ur wonderful contributions. Am on my way to d farm to see how things are going. Wil report situation when am back.

While in the vila I helped my dad with little farm work but my mum was angry that I didnt look her side.....

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:06pm On May 10, 2015
The birds are ok. They are 88wks and d production is 68%

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:17pm On May 10, 2015
I have 17wks birds. I checked their weight today.
They weigh 1.4kg 1.3kg 1.5kg 1.3kg 1.2kg 1.4kg 1.1kg 1.3kg

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:28pm On May 10, 2015
I ve another set. They are 7wks. I weighed them too.

0.5kg 0.3kg 0.5kg 0.5kg 0.4kg 0.5kg 0.4kg 0.4kg

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tucurj(m): 2:49pm On May 10, 2015
mercylicious:
@tucurj, congrats oooo.
Am so happy for u. They started early. I hope they also reach 95% to 99 % soon.
It is possible.

Plz where did u buy d layers?
thanks @mercy,i pray they reach 90% upward o.bought them @ obj farm.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adetoyesem: 4:16pm On May 10, 2015
Good evening every body.
I just want to inform you that I have four weeks old broilers and four month old female turkey for sales.
I am located at ilorin, Amoyo kwara state.
you can call text or whatsapp on this number((08053505077))
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 5:18pm On May 10, 2015
FarmTech:

U can give them ivermectin. They normally start laying between 18 and 24 weeks.
i gave them ivermectin wen i first noticed it last wk bt it's still there, maybe i'll try it again, i'm getting tired of dis birds sef.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nonny1234: 5:41pm On May 10, 2015
Annabechick:
Hello house please am constructing a poultry house for 2000 birds but am not around to supervise the construction. Please this is the picture for the house its 20ft by 90 ft. I want to knw if it will house 2000 birds to maturity? pls i need ur opinion

Pls how much did it cost you to build.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:21pm On May 10, 2015
tucurj:
am very happy to inform the house that my brown layers lay their first egg today @18wks 1day,and also thanks to everybody that helped me,@kelvin96,@davidsfarm,@farmtech,@jamp,@everybody, God will bless you all.
Praise God. He indeed is worthy of our praise.
You may consider giving a Pre-lay mash as soon as you have 2% production
equally you need to take steps to increase the feed intake.
Regards.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2015
endy247:
i gave them ivermectin wen i first noticed it last wk bt it's still there, maybe i'll try it again, i'm getting tired of dis birds sef.

You need to change the litters the 3rd day after administering Ivermectin. if it's not done. you may consider repeating the dose.
Pls don't give up and never be tired.
the Testimony of Tucurj shd spur you and reassure you that indeed, there is light ahead.
Very very soon, you will not only smile , but shout the shout of joy.
Winners don't quit.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 7:28pm On May 10, 2015
@Jamp welcome back, I believe ur mum must be very proud of u within her, seeing u helpin d oldman. smiley.

As per d birds nice job on farm. Nice to know u have several batches. I need to come around urside with my lecture note again for some schooling.

@obnelly how r ur birds now? hope u've started treatment and they r responding? pls share with d house d medication they r taking for future reference.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 8:25pm On May 10, 2015
jamp. The weights of your birds is testimony that your staff have done a great job during your absence. Welcome Bro. endy247. Are your birds on deep litter? If yes, kindly take note of what davidzfarm18 suggested in addition to that of FarmTech. You may also wish to spray ashes in sufficient quantity on the litter. Success.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:28pm On May 10, 2015
endy247:
Don't get tired oo, when they start giving u money now will u get tired? Is the lice too much? I too had the same problem but it wasn't much.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:30pm On May 10, 2015
Eggcelent:
jamp. The weights of your birds is testimony that your staff have done a great job during your absence. Welcome Bro. endy247. Are your birds on deep litter? If yes, kindly take note of what davidzfarm18 suggested in addition to that of FarmTech. You may also wish to spray ashes in sufficient quantity on the litter. Success.
True.
I once tried mixing ash with sand and let them dust bath in it. But they ate up the sand. They can be very stupid.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:08pm On May 10, 2015
Eggcelent:

Thanks brother. I appreciate. I want to allow the birds to get to 20weeks before adding light. I hope they will lay early.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:11pm On May 10, 2015
AkayTopsy:
@Jamp welcome back, I believe ur mum must be very proud of u within her, seeing u helpin d oldman. smiley.

As per d birds nice job on farm. Nice to know u have several batches. I need to come around urside with my lecture note again for some schooling.

@obnelly how r ur birds now? hope u've started treatment and they r responding? pls share with d house d medication they r taking for future reference.

Bro I want to visit ur farm dis period but dis fuel scarcity in abj is too much. Pls give me a day to come from now to thursday.

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.