Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (208) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (967891 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by dadson2009(m): 7:54pm On Jun 25, 2016
nickdoc:
Pls gurus in house help me out with this problem, my birds' eyes are reddish and they are producing water. Wht could be cause of it? Few of them pass out green poo and i have treated them with colisultix but it didnt take care of the problem. Wht drug is most effective against the new castle disease?

My pullets are about 960 in number, They two months and three weeks now, is two bags of and half enough or small for them? I use Top feed. Pls i need urgent reply from experts in the house.
with pullet, u mean turkey abi?? or wat is the name of the birds called pullet? Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2016
Pullets Mean Young Birds That Are Yet To Start Laying (young Layers).
dadson2009:
with pullet, u mean turkey abi?? or wat is the name of the birds called pullet? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 3:54pm On Jun 26, 2016
Over 100acres of land suitable for poultry,fishery and pigery available for sale in Ogun state. N800 k per acre. Call :-
Sp2002 poultry & land consultancy
08137775986, 08171902802
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 10:32am On Jun 27, 2016
Babacele:
OK. how old is your flock? then wat is d source of d broilers? n wat about their water consumption? history of any disease?
they are 7 weeks old today,
i source them from Max broiler farm,
I feed them ad libitum both feed and water,
I have not record any disease outbreak
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 2:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
raphemmanuel:

Sorry for asking this question. Please what is the meaning of "deworm"? How do I go about it? Please explain it for me to understand. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 3:46pm On Jun 27, 2016
Deworm is when u give chicks drugs to remove their intestinal worms that is affecting them.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 4:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
raphemmanuel:
by the 6 th week, 80% of d broiler birds I raise on vital usually show positive changes. Max birds are good birds too. check d date of expiry of d feeds, the weight of the birds 1.2 kg or smth now. n see if nothing is wrong, u can decide. hope no history of worms in your farm? just saying . Cheers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Deksy: 5:34pm On Jun 27, 2016
omejeo:
Morning thread my 100doc agrited brolier arrived today but i o vaccine is not avaliale in my area even the pple i bought the bird did not have it .pls what else can i do.thanks
[b]

[/please can i have the contact details for agrited.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Deksy: 5:42pm On Jun 27, 2016
[quote author=Brineharry post=39993443][/quote]

Please do you have the contact for agrited?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
Babacele:
by the 6 th week, 80% of d broiler birds I raise on vital usually show positive changes. Max birds are good birds too. check d date of expiry of d feeds, the weight of the birds 1.2 kg or smth now. n see if nothing is wrong, u can decide. hope no history of worms in your farm? just saying . Cheers
do you mean their weight should be 1.2kg by now?
to indicate that the birds are doing well?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 6:19pm On Jun 27, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:

Sorry for asking this question. Please what is the meaning of "deworm"? How do I go about it? Please explain it for me to understand. Thanks.
deworming means given an antihelminthic drug to an animal to cure or prevent worm infestation in the animal.
OR
is just given a worm drug to cure worm or prevent worm in the bird or any animal
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olawale4725(m): 10:14am On Jun 28, 2016
hayor2014:
Please I need an advice..i want to do the concrete casting of my pen(layers pen with gutter) next week.... Do I need to cast with iron rod in the portion where the poo will drop.....

ђєll๐, we av d samr prob. Cn u pls share the pics after the casting has been done. I have 1k layers at my backyard so u cldnt dig a pit so as to prevent pollution to d neighborhood. Buh smtyms wen rain falls, it do wash out the poo under the cage which usually make my poultry dirty (i dnt knw if u do experience this) so i wnt to knw how the casting wld look like and the total cost. Plsssssszssszsssssssss
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2016
raphemmanuel:
do you mean their weight should be 1.2kg by now?
to indicate that the birds are doing well?
yes sir.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 1:26pm On Jun 28, 2016
Babacele:
yes sir.
no my dear it shouldn't be so. a broiler bird at 7 weeks should be more than that 1.2kg.
Have you forgotten that broiler are sold at 8 weeks with a weight that should not be less than 2.0kg.
now imagine 1.2kg at 7 weeks which means at 8 weeks they will be 1.7 to 1.8kg which is not up to market size.
For my birds they are 1.5kg at 7 weeks.
the reason while I said am not get a better results from vital feed was my birds attain 1.5kg at 6 weeks and I was expecting more from them, to my surprise they still maintain that same weight on 7th week and were eating more while some decline to 1.3kg.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 1:38pm On Jun 28, 2016
raphemmanuel:
no my dear it shouldn't be so. a broiler bird at 7 weeks should be more than that 1.2kg.
Have you forgotten that broiler are sold at 8 weeks with a weight that should not be less than 2.0kg.
now imagine 1.2kg at 7 weeks which means at 8 weeks they will be 1.7 to 1.8kg which is not up to market size.
the reason while I said am not get a better results from vital feed was my birds attain 1.5kg at 6 weeks and I was expecting more from them, to my surprise they still maintain that same weight on 7th week and were eating more while some decline to 1.3kg.
it is d minimum you should record among d remaining 20% of slow growers n runts i mean to say. and in worst case scenario ..... so u soo right. by d 8 th week any bird not on 2kg weight is a minus to the farmer. something is wrong ....check the feed label for expiry date.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bosaty2003(m): 3:44pm On Jun 28, 2016
Dear House,

My bird is 23 wks old and the laying capacity is just 11%. they started dropping at 20 wk but very scanty.

Kindly advise the right drug to use to get a better result.

I am a product of this trend. God bless you all.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 10:55pm On Jun 28, 2016
olawale4725:

ђєll๐, we av d samr prob. Cn u pls share the pics after the casting has been done. I have 1k layers at my backyard so u cldnt dig a pit so as to prevent pollution to d neighborhood. Buh smtyms wen rain falls, it do wash out the poo under the cage which usually make my poultry dirty (i dnt knw if u do experience this) so i wnt to knw how the casting wld look like and the total cost. Plsssssszssszsssssssss

I do not have the problem you do cos I don't have birds yet... The estimate I was given was

100 bags of cement
2 trailer load of 30 tonne sharp sand or stone dust
1 trailer lost of 3/4down granite and labour cost of 160k...

That's all...will send the pics before(hopefully) and after(certainly)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olawale4725(m): 6:03am On Jun 29, 2016
hayor2014:

I have not the problem you do cos I have birds yet... The estimate I was given was

100 bags of cement
2 trailer load of 30 tonne sharp sand or stone dust
1 trailer lost of 3/4down granite and labour cost of 160k...

That's all...will send the pics before(hopefully) and after(certainly)
Fnx, wld b xpcting d pic
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rex0105(m): 2:56am On Jul 02, 2016
Hello guys,

Please I need your advise because I'm thinking about starting my own poultry with POL of 1000 birds and I'd love if someone can point me in the right direction on where to get good breed of birds at a competitive price based on personal relationship/dealings with the seller.

Thanks a great deal.

Regards
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rex0105(m): 5:43am On Jul 02, 2016
@babacele,

Thanks for you input and contributions, I am really keen and motivated to go into the practice and I intend to give it all my best according to best available practice hence my inquiry from gurus with vast years of experience in the field.

Please can you point me in the right direction where to get a good breed of POL and at what price should I be considering so has to avoid unnecessary pitfalls in the long run. any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 6:27am On Jul 02, 2016
rex0105:
@babacele,

Thanks for you input and contributions, I am really keen and motivated to go into the practice and I intend to give it all my best according to best available practice hence my inquiry from gurus with vast years of experience in the field.

Please can you point me in the right direction where to get a good breed of POL and at what price should I be considering so has to avoid unnecessary pitfalls in the long run. any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

To get a good POL let the seller answer the following questions :
Source of pullet, schedule of vaccines given, species, Avg wt of the Bird ,Date hatched, % uniformity, one minute video of the flock and u should verify this physically on ur own.
18 wks POL shld wt 1500g-1600g

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 6:36am On Jul 02, 2016
raphemmanuel:

Perhaps you dont feed your birds very well, anything less than average of 2kg in 6 weeks is a lost and a waste of time in Broilers production. Vital feed is not that bad, feed them very well and you will see the result.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 7:52am On Jul 02, 2016
rex0105:
@babacele,

most POL now in Nigeria come from good parent stocks but the management practices of the breeding companies defer: some maintain very high standards as regards feeding, biosecurity, vaccination, staff welfare etc which reflect on the State of the POL. e.g Obj, Zartech, Amo, Animal care etc I ll pm you that we can chat better.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 7:57am On Jul 02, 2016
rex0105:
@babacele,

Regards.

most POL now in Nigeria come from good parent stocks but the management practices of the breeding companies differ: some maintain very high standards as regards feeding, biosecurity, vaccination, staff welfare etc which reflect on the State of the POL. e.g Obj, Zartech, Amo, Animal care etc

So watch out for 1. the physical attributes of the birds ie how agile they are
2. vaccination schedule n medical history
I ll pm you that we can chat better.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 10:12am On Jul 02, 2016
Are You Still Working With Farmers Giant(@farmafric) Or Are You Now Solo?
Babacele:
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 11:07am On Jul 02, 2016
tabontabon:
Are You Still Working With Farmers Giant(@farmafric) Or Are You Now Solo?

We still do business together but now my areas of operations have widened........ u have any business for us?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2016
House, sorry for disturbing you guys.

Please, help me out on this;

-how much is for doc (layer) now?

- what is the appropriate temperature for them (from day old to like 7 weeks)
-should I use charcoal as a means of heat source for them, if yes, like how many will be ok for 100 birds?

- i need a diagram of vaccination/medication from day old till laying period. Also for their feeding too.

- explain to me how to administer their vaccination, through their drinking water or what?

- should i spread newspaper on the floor for them day old till 5 weeks or use sawdust?

- when is the appropriate time to deworm them?

What is the cost of their feeding starting from chick-mash (1 to 6 weeks) to grower-mash ( 7 to 17weeks or so) to layer-mash (17 weeks upward) ?

Perhaps, the present price of their feeding will determined the total cost. Anyone here who got the knowledge of present price should please tell me.

- how many bags (chick-mash) of 25kg will be enough for 100 birds from day old to 6 weeks?

Cc: alakara, babacele, eggcelent and other great farmers please help a brother out.

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tomi247: 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2016
House pls I need your help I have only 100 pullets on deep litter and my pen is large n spacious. now my question is that is it very compulsory for me to debeak my birds still
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chriswu(m): 12:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hello guys. lovely topics on here. i wanted to ask if there were any farmers working on hybrid birds suitable for our climate. if they are for sale how much is the cost
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 12:46pm On Jul 02, 2016
Tomi247:
House pls I need your help I have only 100 pullets on deep litter and my pen is large n spacious. now my question is that is it very compulsory for me to debeak my birds still

Wait for gurus in the house to answer you.

Please I asked some questions above. How did you raise yours? Any mortality? Give me A-Z on how to raise 100 laying birds from day old.

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tomi247: 1:58pm On Jul 02, 2016
As for vaccination follow your vaccination chart programme and i dont have any mortality record yet.. I used cardboard paper for day one to 3 and change to wood shavings till now they at 4weeks old now..and I start them with with top feed super starter for 2 weeks then chick mash so far they are doing just great
IdisuleOurOwn:

Wait for gurus in the house to answer you.

Please I asked some questions above. How did you raise yours? Any mortality? Give me A-Z on how to raise 100 laying birds from day old.

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bolapfish(m): 2:51pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hello thread, I have learned a lot from here, God bless you all, please can any experienced farmer here advise me on what to do about a stubborn NC disease, I av used lasota and komorov and stuck to the vaccination schedule but it keeps coming back and affecting production. Please advice...

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.