Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Slavery In Our Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Slavery In Our Labour Market (35939 Views)

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? / Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Focusmind: 11:03am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

You are making sense but not all company will give the offer till you leave your former work place. Some will ask for confirmation of your resignation
Also for the minimum wage thing, I quite disagree. Look at shell, chevron, agip are you saying they use the Nigerian minimum wage structure.

My brother it is our own fellow Nigerians that are killing us. The country head of my previous company earns about 3m monthly and does not care about the staff.

Nawao! But even shell and other oil companies do not pay same across countries. People in Aberdeen receives something different from Nigeria. A guy that was once in Norway, working for Statoil Hydro of Norway put in transfer to come to Nigeria. His pay in Nigeria is still good but lower than the pay in Norway. So, countries peculiarities are also considered in staff emoluments for multinationals.

Someone is also with Reckitt benkiser in Nigeria but when he went to Greece on transfer, his pay in Greece was higher than in Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Twelfthman: 11:05am On Feb 15, 2021
Floxytran:

Okay, I feel led to comment on this topic and give my advice. My advice is very simple and could help the next person that might make this same mistake. Here is my suggestion.
1. Get the offer letter from the new job and make sure you understand it very well, ask questions at every point if you are not clear then ask them to give you time to resign from your present job. Don't be desperate.
2. Since most of them will not be entiely open as in this case, don't resign from your current job rather take a leave from your annual leave, casual leave or any leave available, call in sick for 2 days if you like.
3. Use those days to resume and try out the new job and watch for the red flags. Usually within the first week of your resumption you would have known if you will stay or not.
4. If it's good, go back to resign properly even if it means you might forfeit some things, otherwise go back to your old job peacefully without notifying them.

I have a lot to say and I know there are different cases. I will be glad to help if anyone has further questions.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Kapilta(m): 11:06am On Feb 15, 2021
Man said he nearly slapped the guy grin That anger fit boil eba water that very moment. I only tried searching for job one year like dat, those few months wey i take waka small meeting nonsense useless interviewer na den i know wetin job seekers dey go through. And some people go go through dat kain tin for years before dem finally secure one mumu job. God forbid evil. Make d hunger kuku kee me, if d hunger don dey unbearable i go return home to my papa cocoa farm. Nonsense

7 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Lamanii22(f): 11:06am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
Hello guys I will like to advise us on job change
because I was so frustrated with my recent job, after going for interview with another it took them time to reach back and told me to resign from my current job to process my new job.
After resigning, 3days before I went to the new company I was called that I will be trained for 2yrs which was the second red flag.

The first red flag is that all the top officers of the company were women which I was uncomfortable with.

I got there yesterday to pick up work tool and all I saw was a turn off
1. IT guy asked me to turn on my data to set up the laptop they will give me
2. We will be working from home till Corona clears out. No power (Gen) support, I asked for data and the hr guy said I will reach out to Admin.
3. No pension, hmo, housing scheme, transportation, I was already boiling inside of me
4. He said I am resuming as a contract staff and they will make me full staff at their convenient time. That I just heard that day.
4. I will work one year before I am entitled to leave. I will be under supervision for 2yrs and cannot leave the company within that period
5. Most annoying part is that he said it is a Christian company I nearly slap the guy.

These and many other red flags I saw.

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes.

That's way too extra
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by femi4: 11:07am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:
because I was so frustrated with my recent job, after going for interview with another it took them time to reach back and told me to resign from my current job to process my new job.
After resigning, 3days before I went to the new company I was called that I will be trained for 2yrs which was the second red flag.

The first red flag is that all the top officers of the company were women which I was uncomfortable with.

2. We will be working from home till Corona clears out. No power (Gen) support, I asked for data and the hr guy said I will reach out to Admin.
3. No pension, hmo, housing scheme, transportation, I was already boiling inside of me
4. He said I am resuming as a contract staff and they will make me full staff at their convenient time. That I just heard that day.
4. I will work one year before I am entitled to leave. I will be under supervision for 2yrs and cannot leave the company within that period
5. Most annoying part is that he said it is a Christian company I nearly slap the guy.

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes.

You don't throw away your old shoes until you ve tested the new ones.

You allowed experience to teach you a lesson of life. A bitter experience, I must say

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Coldie(m): 11:07am On Feb 15, 2021
SoBright101:
It's too much, they are taking advantage of joblessness. You would see a road side business looking for 22 years old graduate with five years experience.
Meanwhile, Nigerian government has no plan to eradicate this modern day slavery
It's heart broken being a Nigerian
I love Nigeria but after tasting abroad. My advise just take style move.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by SKYHIGHfx: 11:07am On Feb 15, 2021
Pay the price and learn FOREX
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by 400billionman: 11:08am On Feb 15, 2021
Nawa o.

Is it gateman they want to employ ?
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Brunicekid(m): 11:08am On Feb 15, 2021
BuySweetOrange:
Although you have resigned from your previous place of employment... Try to find a way to go back and beg the management/ management. They might take you back
Someone that has resigned should go back to the company?
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by africandollar: 11:08am On Feb 15, 2021
fg
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by AlfaB: 11:10am On Feb 15, 2021
So you didn't sign contract before resigning?

You showed your foolishness and the company is just taking advantage of it.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by eliok(m): 11:11am On Feb 15, 2021
No need to be sad about Nigeria.

Create job for yourself.

Ensure it is a success

Spend 5 years doing this and you will smile.

God bless you all

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by beehivedata(m): 11:12am On Feb 15, 2021
Thanks for the advice.

You don enter one chance like this.

Wish you all the best.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by CodeTemplar: 11:12am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

Even if they will take me in my previous place, I won't go back. The slavery there is depressing. Imagine an international company that is supposed to be paying 20 dollar an hour paying 1.3dollar an hour in Nigeria. Meanwhile its fellow competitors pay the normal money
Life doesn't always work out this way. What they pay in Nigeria cannot be same with what they pay in advanced countries.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Ventura1: 11:12am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

Don't be surprised they'll have biblical verses to justify the inhumane treatment.

3 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by bluefilm: 11:13am On Feb 15, 2021
Chai
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by freetheking: 11:13am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

So guys do not resign from your previous job before taking another offer. If the new offer is not good enough turn it down and continue with the old job till a better one comes. It's very annoying, mostly this so call local content. I have been battling with number 3 for two years now with the ministry.

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 15, 2021
Always sign a contract of employment before you resign from your job.

4 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by freetheking: 11:17am On Feb 15, 2021
BuySweetOrange:
Although you have resigned from your previous place of employment... Try to find a way to go back and beg the management/ management. They might take you back
If you mistakingly try this to any black man company your slavery will have no remedy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by harjay1986: 11:17am On Feb 15, 2021
onward4life:

What I normally do is that I avoid brands and or services of such slave mentality companies...

Yu will see some asking for 5 years experience with masters as an added advantage. Not more 28yrs as at the time of applying with 2nd class upper from a reputable institution...

Just to receive 65k a month....

Nawa ooh even my company housekeeper that work on rotation of one week on and a week off go home with 70 and ssce be the requirement

2 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by jospepper(m): 11:17am On Feb 15, 2021
Frip:
It's the same everywhere o. Everywhere

When I tell youths to come join my establishment to build a company, get respectable treatment and good Remuneration they refuse to hear word. How much would one say from let's say 60k a month doing all of this

Monthly expense alone 30k
please I want to join your establishment.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by MansoryMX(m): 11:17am On Feb 15, 2021
tstx:
Immediately I finished my service I capitalized on my IT skills and started my own business... So i can't relate. And i hope it stays that way. But If I'm ever going to work for someone it won't be a Nigerian. The stories I hear are something else.

Am telling you bro! Working for a firm in Nigeria, especially all those family size company and multinational is a death trap. Even a lot multinational companies are so corrupt now! This country is long overdue for break up. Corruption has eaten away the future of Nigeria!

3 Likes

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by tot(f): 11:20am On Feb 15, 2021
Focusmind:

Nawao! But even shell and other oil companies do not pay same across countries. People in Aberdeen receives something different from Nigeria. A guy that was once in Norway, working for Statoil Hydro of Norway put in transfer to come to Nigeria. His pay in Nigeria is still good but lower than the pay in Norway. So, countries peculiarities are also considered in staff emoluments for multinationals.

Someone is also with Reckitt benkiser in Nigeria but when he went to Greece on transfer, his pay in Greece was higher than in Nigeria.

That is mainly because of country tax regulations and local market level salaries, not necessarily minimum pay like someone else mentioned.
For example, those in London do not earn the same as those in a different city in the UK, for the same company.

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Sterope(f): 11:21am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5

Lmao.Your fault for not checking them out.

It sounds like a shitty company but you are also a shitty person.

How can all top officers are women be a red flag? We don't see your likes whining when all men bring the world to its knees over and over again.
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by jospepper(m): 11:22am On Feb 15, 2021
harjay1986:

Nawa ooh even my company housekeeper that work on rotation of one week on and a week off go home with 70 and ssce be the requirement
please what's the name of your company?

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by fortune1968: 11:24am On Feb 15, 2021
onward4life:

What I normally do is that I avoid brands and or services of such slave mentality companies...

Yu will see some asking for 5 years experience with masters as an added advantage. Not more 28yrs as at the time of applying with 2nd class upper from a reputable institution...

Just to receive 65k a month....
65k ? Sometimes , less than 50k . Haven't you heard of 45 k ?

1 Like

Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by obonujoker(m): 11:26am On Feb 15, 2021
Ventura1:

Don't be surprised they'll have biblical verses to justify the inhumane treatment.

Lol... grin
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Ahasco(m): 11:26am On Feb 15, 2021
it just got worse, so sad
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Josywhyte: 11:27am On Feb 15, 2021
I cant work in that kind of company cos we'll be having problems everyday
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by Ahasco(m): 11:28am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

Even if they will take me in my previous place, I won't go back. The slavery there is depressing. Imagine an international company that is supposed to be paying 20 dollar an hour paying 1.3dollar an hour in Nigeria. Meanwhile its fellow competitors pay the normal money

what company is that or where is it located
Re: Slavery In Our Labour Market by FrankLampard: 11:31am On Feb 15, 2021
slimjohn2k5:

You are actually the one at fault for not doing proper research on the company, plus all the things you listed like HMO, pension should be on your offer letter. If not that alone is a red flag.

IT IS FULLY YOUR FAULT, LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Technical Aid Corps 2012/2014 Recruitment Interview / Man Meets His Boss At Job Interview He Attended After Taking A Sick Leave / BBM Group For Unadvertised Job Vacancies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.