Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,193 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (25017 Views)

Fayose Better Than Other Nigerian Politician - Photos Speak / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / Igbo Women Visit Iara Oshiomole In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Obiagu1(m): 9:26am On Apr 09, 2011
Quote from PhysicsMHD
You say you are a "business man" with 2 (you edited it to 3, did you forget one?) degrees who's "been to" (whatever that means) "many" (however many that is) of these schools.

@ PhysicMHD,
Shame on you! When you’re defeated in an argument, you go around attacking someone’s grammar to score a cheap point. There are few things some of you that grew up in the US or UK don’t know.

It’s hard to see a well educated Nigerian that grew up in Nigeria and had his/her first degree in Nigeria that speaks/writes impeccable English. The reason is because the foundation was poor; the English teachers weren’t good enough. That does not diminish someone’s IQ or intelligence or education or achievement. They will still travel abroad and excel in their field of study with their “poor English”. Bring Math, Physic etc, they will beat you hands down, so what were you trying to achieve?

If everyone should be flawless in English to underscore their intelligence, education, IQ, smartness, I wonder why there are proofreaders.

You claimed to have an IQ of 140 or there about but you did not know the meaning of compromise So why where you attacking someone because of few errors here or there and try to diminish his/her status? If others tell you their own IQ, all you’ll end up doing is find where they made one or two mistakes and attack them as if IQ is equivalent to English.

Moreover, this is a forum and not a committee that scrutinizes posters’ English.

I’ll say you and your likes should go screw yourselves!
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 9:37am On Apr 09, 2011
Justcash:

Imagine the cow of a dude called Namfav naming a jihard novelist as being influential. Worst of all is that he is a Hausa/fulani man whose wives are still locked up in harems and are meant to bear the consequences of the crimes of their men. Was it not in the north that a woman was almost stoned because a man made her pregnant. what happened to the man? Anuofia!

none of those women pay your schoolfees, why are you acting like they have achieved for you are so low in worth that you are crying for someone mothers and sister, does their food make you shyt? give them 50 years and no one will know them, that is the problem with igbos, you think you are so great but even in history there is not a single igbo woman who is worth mention
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by londoner: 10:15am On Apr 09, 2011
Lol, ,.wow, people here really get upset anytime Igbo's are given any type of compliment, lol

If the list provided in the article is an example of the effort of Igbo women in Nigeria in a relatively short space of time, then no wonder he is impressed.

It seems he is saying they almost emerged out of nowhere, if so, then they deserve the kudos.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 10:16am On Apr 09, 2011
namfav:

none of those women pay your schoolfees, why are you acting like they have achieved for you are so low in worth that you are crying for someone mothers and sister, does their food make you shyt?  give them 50 years and no one will know them, that is the problem with igbos, you think you are so great but even in history there is not a single igbo woman who is worth mention

[b]Yes, I'd agree if you said that In the past they were not worth mentioning.

1. We know that being the world bank's VP and a former minister of finance that salvaged Nigeria from its enormous debt profile cannot be forgotten.
2. We also know who comes to mind when NAFDAC is mentioned.
3. We know that the first ever athlete to win a Gold medal for Nigeria in the Olympic games can never be forgotten.
4. We also know that the first female Nigerian Security Exchange Commission  DG can never be forgotten.
I have not mentioned their names, but still, I bet you know them. Those Igbo ladies are more popular in Nigeria and internationally than any Hausa woman can ever be. They have contributed more to Nigeria, and have touched millions of lives than any hausa woman can ever do in the next 100 years. They don't just go around documenting Jihad wars, they added value to Nigeria's pride. Stop talking crap.

I just have a problem with you trying to shout down the idea that Igbo ladies are way ahead of their peers. You are not even arguing about Yoruba women being close to Igbo ladies. You are trying to equate them with Hausa women. Hausa women are inactive. Too over ridden by Hausa men. Can a Hausa man make a lady his deputy? No! Even if that happens, the woman would be dormant and scared to talk.  That is what I mean.You are definitely sad or angry about that. Go and jump into a kunu river and drown.
Those Igbo women don't need to give me money for me to be proud of them. I am proud of them. If there were hausa women like them, I'd be proud of them too. But, there are none! So what's your problem dude?! Love them or hate them, they are worth being very proud of. If you don't like it, go and do your duty, eat some grass. Ewu Hausa!

[/b]
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by londoner: 10:22am On Apr 09, 2011
"Namfav, you are actually agreeing with the article. His point was that historically Igbo women did not make this impact, but in a short space of time they have emerged.

These women he is mentioning in his article have ENSURED that as we go forward history will remember these numerous Igbo ladies who ARE worth a mention.

It may upset you that Igbo women are doing well, but it will not change the facts going forward.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 10:31am On Apr 09, 2011
londoner:

"Namfav, you are actually agreeing with the article. His point was that historically Igbo women did not make this impact, but in a short space of time they have emerged.

These women he is mentioning in his article have ENSURED that as we go forward history will remember these numerous Igbo ladies who ARE worth a mention.

It may upset you that Igbo women are doing well, but it will not change the facts going forward.

don't be mistaken, i am happy for them not at all upset but they are not the cream of the crop, igbo women are not out achieving any other womens, they are not now and never have

but you are free to believe that igbo women are the best in the continent
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 10:37am On Apr 09, 2011
Justcash:

[b]Yes, I'd agree if you said that In the past they were not worth mentioning.

1. We know that being the world bank's VP and a former minister of finance that salvaged Nigeria from its enormous debt profile cannot be forgotten.
2. We also know who comes to mind when NAFDAC is mentioned.
3. We know that the first ever athlete to win a Gold medal for Nigeria in the Olympic games can never be forgotten.
4. We also know that the first female Nigerian Security Exchange Commission  DG can never be forgotten.
I have not mentioned their names, but still, I bet you know them. Those Igbo ladies are more popular in Nigeria and internationally than any Hausa woman can ever be. They have contributed more to Nigeria, and have touched millions of lives than any hausa woman can ever do in the next 100 years. They don't just go around documenting Jihad wars, they added value to Nigeria's pride. Stop talking crap.

I just have a problem with you trying to shout down the idea that Igbo ladies are way ahead of their peers. You are not even arguing about Yoruba women being close to Igbo ladies. You are trying to equate them with Hausa women. Hausa women are inactive. Too over ridden by Hausa men. Can a Hausa man make a lady his deputy? No! Even if that happens, the woman would be dormant and scared to talk.  That is what I mean.You are definitely sad or angry about that. Go and jump into a kunu river and drown.
Those Igbo women don't need to give me money for me to be proud of them. I am proud of them. If there were hausa women like them, I'd be proud of them too. But, there are none! So what's your problem dude?! Love them or hate them, they are worth being very proud of. If you don't like it, go and do your duty, eat some grass. Ewu Hausa!

[/b]

i don't see how those 4 points impact us, they are worthless if you put them in a perspective, they are not example, if you take a igbo woman how has she impacted women the same way that the president of liberia or nana asama'u have? these women are used as examples unlike those jokes, and also they are not the first women to preside over anything, the advisor of the leader of the government is from the north do you think that has any impact if we speak of women in general in nigeria? i doubt it

igbo women are not ahead of anyone, never have and never will, you may think they are the best thing but you've also thought you will lead this nation, how many first ladies have been igbo? lol, im not proud of them because they don't pay my meal , you cant force us to be proud of people who will not exist in our memories in 50 years time
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by londoner: 10:50am On Apr 09, 2011
namfav:

don't be mistaken, i am happy for them not at all upset but they are not the cream of the crop, igbo women are not out achieving any other womens, they are not now and never have

but you are free to believe that igbo women are the best in the continent

Come on, it is quite obvious that you are not happy about there achievements being recognised at all. I would respect you more for admitting it actually.

No-one is saying that Igbo women are the only achieving women on the continent or in Nigeria, but judging on the list of recent achievers they do deserve the commendation being given, especially as they seem to have arisen in a relatively short space of time of 12 years, I think this is the main point of the article and observation.

To go from not being worth a mention as you put it to that formidable list in 12 years is an achievement IMO.

You may not agree, but is that because you have an issue with Igbo's or because you geneuinely dont see it?

Either way, the author of the article and countless many other people have made the same observation.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 11:04am On Apr 09, 2011
londoner:

Come on, it is quite obvious that you are not happy about there achievements being recognised at all. I would respect you more for admitting it actually.

No-one is saying that Igbo women are the only achieving women on the continent or in Nigeria, but judging on the list of recent achievers they do deserve the commendation being given, especially as they seem to have arisen in a relatively short space of time of 12 years, I think this is the main point of the article and observation.

To go from not being worth a mention as you put it to that formidable list in 12 years is an achievement IMO.

You may not agree, but is that because you have an issue with Igbo's or because you geneuinely dont see it?

Either way, the author of the article and countless many other people have made the same observation.

im happy for them, i don't know how else to put it in fact i have no problem with igbo, there are many igbos i respect and there are many that i don't respect that is the problem with many of you folks, if someone says something that you don't agree with then automatically that person has a issue with igbos

another problem, igbo women are far from formidable, or else we would not hear of igbo women selling themselves, or being big in drug trafifcking if anything the article is flawed on many levels, we don't have women in nigeria that are above other women, it is just a fact
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by londoner: 11:22am On Apr 09, 2011
Navfam, whether you want to smear the image of the Igbo woman with prostitution and drug smuggling, the list provided above and the positive impression confirmed by many of Igbo women achievers still stands.

To you, because the article does not focus on negatives of Igbo women, it is therefore flawed.

The article is very specific in subject matter and its assertion.

Trying to include a wider scope just in order to come out with a negative overall opinion of Igbo women is simply an attempt to make the observation of the OP irrelevant.

The reason you seek to have it neutralised is because you are uncomfortable with the positive stance of the opinion.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 11:37am On Apr 09, 2011
londoner:

Navfam, whether you want to smear the image of the Igbo woman with prostitution and drug smuggling, the list provided above and the positive impression confirmed by many of Igbo women achievers still stands.

To you, because the article does not focus on negatives of Igbo women, it is therefore flawed.

The article is very specific in subject matter and its assertion.

Trying to include a wider scope just in order to come out with a negative overall opinion of Igbo women is simply an attempt to make the observation of the OP irrelevant.

The reason you seek to have it neutralised is because you are uncomfortable with the positive stance of the opinion.

my igbo brother, you are making things up there, i am not trying to create negative impressions i know there are good and bad in all of us, im just saying if igbo women were as great as ezeuche, justcash etc. were making them to be then why is mentioning those aspects of igbo women (which is also true) wrong, by many i would have thought that we are talking about 60% of igbo women being highly successful lol

it is always good to balance things out, when i mentioned nana asama'u your brother here was calling her all kinds of names, t his is one of the most respected muslim woman in recent history, do you see? i am not even making things up, in that article there are only 8 igbo women being mentioned, are you saying that those 8 women represent millions of igbo women in this world? or because there are 8 igbo women mentioned then it is either a scenario of being with you or against you?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 12:03pm On Apr 09, 2011
namfav:

i don't see how those 4 points impact us, they are worthless if you put them in a perspective, they are not example, if you take a igbo woman how has she impacted women the same way that the president of liberia or nana asama'u have? these women are used as examples unlike those jokes, and also they are not the first women to preside over anything, the advisor of the leader of the government is from the north do you think that has any impact if we speak of women in general in nigeria? i doubt it

igbo women are not ahead of anyone, never have and never will, you may think they are the best thing but you've also thought you will lead this nation, how many first ladies have been igbo? lol, im not proud of them because they don't pay my meal , you cant force us to be proud of people who will not exist in our memories  in 50 years time

[b] I aint forcing you, rather you are eating yourself up. Believe it or not, you will always remember them. No matter how you try to wish away their achievements, you will always remember them. The reason is that, they showed that women could do what men do!
What those women gave were the types of representation that Nigerian Women wish for. It is the same hard lines taken by Akunyili, Ezekwesili etc that even made Nigerians to believe that women were more hardened and capable than we thought. Their performances gave way for the appointment of a woman like Farida Waziri as the EFCC boss .  It is such representations that reinforces the belief of Nigerians in women.
there are  Nigerian women that can be categorized with the president of Liberia. They can only be found mostly among the Easterners and recently Westerners.  It is Women like Akunyili, Ezekwesili etc that has the guts to challenge men in Nigerian politics. Look at how the EFCC boss have become so dormant! Because she is threading with care. Can you see what pressure from men has done to her?
I am not saying that Igbo women are more SUPERIOR than other women (As your bigoted and tribalistic brain put it). I am saying that Igbo women are way ahead in terms of national influence, political contribution, radical attitude and fearlessness to compete in the field where women dread to go.
Even Chimamanda Adichie, with her little laurels is more Nationally recognized than your Asama'u. Na who sabi Asama'u? you seem to forget that the Ottoman empire's achievements and stories are now obsolete. Can you tell me how she added value to women? Maybe the same way Queen Amina added value right? My friend wake up! you must be sleeping.[/b]
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by mbatuku1: 12:06pm On Apr 09, 2011
Anyone man enough should bring the stats that shows Igbo women being the most prostit.tutes.

Otherwise, stop peddling lies.

You think all women from East of the Niger, Edo and Delta are Igbo?

The knowledge of geography by some NLders here is really worrying.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2011
Justcash:

[b] I aint forcing you, rather you are eating yourself up. Believe it or not, you will always remember them. No matter how you try to wish away their achievements, you will always remember them. The reason is that, they showed that women could do what men do!
What those women gave were the types of representation that Nigerian Women wish for. It is the same hard lines taken by Akunyili, Ezekwesili etc that even made Nigerians to believe that women were more hardened and capable than we thought. Their performances gave way for the appointment of a woman like Farida Waziri as the EFCC boss .  It is such representations that reinforces the belief of Nigerians in women.
there are  Nigerian women that can be categorized with the president of Liberia. They can only be found mostly among the Easterners and recently Westerners.  It is Women like Akunyili, Ezekwesili etc that has the guts to challenge men in Nigerian politics. Look at how the EFCC boss have become so dormant! Because she is threading with care. Can you see what pressure from men has done to her?
I am not saying that Igbo women are more SUPERIOR than other women (As your bigoted and tribalistic brain put it). I am saying that Igbo women are way ahead in terms of national influence, political contribution, radical attitude and fearlessness to compete in the field where women dread to go.
Even Chimamanda Adichie, with her little laurels is more Nationally recognized than your Asama'u. Na who sabi Asama'u? you seem to forget that the Ottoman empire's achievements and stories are now obsolete. Can you tell me how she added value to women? Maybe the same way Queen Amina added value right? My friend wake up! you must be sleeping.[/b]

well, if you haven't noticed nana asama'u was in fact the most influential woman to emerge out of the 19th century in west africa by a great mile, so it is by all means accurate to mention her name, women like ezekwesili  have nothing on her, not today nor tomorrow, and anyway where does the national influence, political contribution, radical attitude and fearlessness come from? where was it 100 years ago and what did it achieve? just name me 1 igbo woman who is influential, who is refered in many quarters, i beg you to come up with 1 igbo woman who is as influential as nana asama'u, your logic is like comparing george bush to musa, haha comparing chimanada and her sad biafra story to nana, hahahaha, dude, you need a history lesson better just get your facts right, when we talk about women in islam and west africa in general in a historical perspective you can look no further than nana asama'u, you may not know her but that is because you are ignorant, on every islamic forum or community of muslims which has topics on females in muslim society you will most probably hear her name, you hear pakistanis, indonesians talking about her, what about your ezekwesili of this world hehe apart from when igbo men are beating their chests
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Dede1(m): 1:56pm On Apr 09, 2011
namfav:

igbo women are not ahead of anyone, never have and never will, you may think they are the best thing but you've also thought you will lead this nation, how many first ladies have been igbo? lol, im not proud of them because they don't pay my meal , you cant force us to be proud of people who will not exist in our memories in 50 years time

If you tend to be dubious in your posts, I suggest you standup the facts to withstand the scrutiny of time and relevance. The two women you cited in your post were memorial artifacts and had absolutely no relevance to the making of a substantive woman.

Any well-groomed goat can easily become president in Africa talk less of the person installed by powers that received exclusive services from her. Nana Asama’u other than being a daughter of ruler of a caliphate would have amounted to nobody. The act of shouting “Allah Akbar” to the point of inflicting headache does not constitute achievement in my book. In addition, if learning how to read Quran constitutes achievement in northern region of Nigeria, I shall partition Femi Fani-Kayode to re-visit his article.

If Nana was so influential in the development of women in northern region of Nigeria, I shall say her influence was limited to moonlight gathering. Even men from the northern region of Nigeria did not secure admission to higher educational institutions until 1948.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Dede1(m): 2:01pm On Apr 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I never aspired to please you.

Their posts were both rubbish. . . . as my previous posts suggested.

I seriously doubt if you will ever please me in any way or manner. grin grin grin
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 4:15pm On Apr 09, 2011
Obiagu1:

Quote from PhysicsMHD

@ PhysicMHD,
Shame on you! When you’re defeated in an argument, you go around attacking someone’s grammar to score a cheap point. There are few things some of you that grew up in the US or UK don’t know.

It’s hard to see a well educated Nigerian that grew up in Nigeria and had his/her first degree in Nigeria that speaks/writes impeccable English. The reason is because the foundation was poor; the English teachers weren’t good enough. That does not diminish someone’s IQ or intelligence or education or achievement. They will still travel abroad and excel in their field of study with their “poor English”. Bring Math, Physic etc, they will beat you hands down, so what were you trying to achieve?

If everyone should be flawless in English to underscore their intelligence, education, IQ, smartness, I wonder why there are proofreaders.

You claimed to have an IQ of 140 or there about but you did not know the meaning of compromise So why where you attacking someone because of few errors here or there and try to diminish his/her status? If others tell you their own IQ, all you’ll end up doing is find where they made one or two mistakes and attack them as if IQ is equivalent to English.

Moreover, this is a forum and not a committee that scrutinizes posters’ English.

I’ll say you and your likes should go screw yourselves!

I could not have said that better myself. The young man walks around thinking he has a superior intellect, because he can copy and paste sources on the internet better than most, but that does not show his true intelligence. Thank you for shedding light on his behavior.

I can see that I am not the only one who has noticed that from his post.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 09, 2011
he thinks he has a superior intellect because he was told he has a superior intellect.

however, he never stopped to ask himself if the actual facts on ground show him as possessing a superior intellect.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 4:20pm On Apr 09, 2011
I hope other Nigerians observe the thinking style of namfav and relate it with Nigeria's failed leadership since after the war.
We are talking about women who have influenced the nation's development in the late 20th and earlier 21st century, and a supposed young northern Nigerian is busy trying to shove down a 19th century jihadist author down our collective throats.  undecided
And if we dare to hesitate to accept his own pick, he then mocks the achievements of great Nigerian women who actually achieved things that impacted him socio-economically and politically.   undecided

Pray, wouldn't such a character do his darnedest to thwart any rising Nigerian female star?
Do we stand a chance of having a Nigerian female president when we have characters in northern Nigeria still fixated on 19th century? Of course not.

Wonder why some of us are apprehensive about a Buhari presidency. Buhari rejected a woman FAR MORE COMPETENT than himself as a VP candidate. If anyone still don't understand why, read and follow namfagv on nairaland.  cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 4:46pm On Apr 09, 2011
This article captures some of my thoughts about why a character from the north like namfav struggles with modernity.

THE recently concluded Northern Economic Summit in Kaduna provided another opportunity for soul-searching over failed dreams in the northern part of Nigeria. For me, it was an opportunity to ponder the failed dreams of Nigeria as a nation.

I am not hereby placing the blame for Nigeria’s under-performance solely on the doorstep of our leaders from the North. Everybody has a slice of the blame just as everybody has a role, duty and responsibility to turn the situation around. I am singling out Northern leaders because “to whom much is given, much is expected”.

In our 50 years of independence, Northerners led the country for a total of 37 years. The British colonial masters manipulated the system and handed over power to the North as the new overlords of the emergent entity. Northern politicians could win federal elections without bothering to campaign in the South. It was, therefore, not necessary for the new masters to draw up a plan to build a nation of proud citizens who truly belonged.

Rather, Northern leaders came to Lagos, the then capital of Nigeria, like conquerors, to dominate an imperial booty. The Northern leaders’ parochial blueprint turned Nigeria into a country where subsisting sharp differences in ethnic, religious, sectional, indigene/settler, cultural and linguistic relationships blunted the imperative of common citizenship.

There is no gainsaying the fact that the leaders of the Northern Region also had a visionary agenda for economic and political development of their region, just as did their peers in the Eastern, Western and Midwestern regions.

Even with its educational disadvantage, the North as a region never lagged behind in growth, especially in the areas of agriculture and industrialisation. When some people talk about Northerners as “parasites”, it has nothing to do with the ordinary people. The evidence of the sheer industry of the people of the North is there for all to see.

Even after the nation had long been brought down to its knees by bad leadership with Northern leaders at the commanding heights, it is the ordinary people of the North who now feed the nation through, largely, subsistence agriculture.

If you come down to many cities in the South, the bulk of the daily paid labourers waiting at street corners to be hired for the most menial of jobs are people from the Northern part of the country. If these people are given the necessary encouragement and assistance, they will constitute a major part of the growth engine of a new Nigeria in terms of human capacity.

The alleged “parasitism”, however, resides at the top echelon of the Northern leadership. Sadly enough (and true to the nature of parasites), the malaise has spread to the elite from all sections of the country. It is no longer a preserve of people from a section, but we will not forget who introduced it and why.

If Nigeria was seen as booty of Northern leaders at independence, it became doubly so after 1970, when the North successfully led a coalition of all other Nigerian nationalities, with the full technical assistance of some world powers, to prevent the secession of Biafra, which was chiefly championed by the Igbo people.

The military, under the leadership of the North with their coalition partners, the West, saw Nigeria’s economic and political commonwealth as their well-deserved plunder of conquest. In the euphoric scramble for this oil-fired commonwealth, the military leaders failed to carry the ordinary people of the North along as Sardauna Ahmadu Bello and his disciples had done.

Where the Sardauna spent sleepless nights thinking of how to uplift the quality of lives of the Northern people to the extent of neglecting to enrich himself and family, the reverse was the case for the successor military buccaneers and their civilian cronies. The new class became so engrossed in the “grabfest” that they forgot the common people.

Consequently, as Nigeria crumbled the North crumbled even faster since its common people had not yet been capacitated enough to compete with their peers from the South in a modern world. Northern leaders allowed the imperial mentality maliciously implanted in their psyche by the British colonialists to take them too far away from the orbit of reality.

As a result, Nigeria as a nation could not be built and the North as a former region could no longer move forward. Even the parasitic elite can now no longer count on their imperial privileges because the scientific mechanisms of democracy and constitutionalism have reduced the imperial powers which only colonialism and militarism can maintain.

What is the way forward for the North? The answer is simple. The way forward for Nigeria is the way forward for the North, not the other way round. In other words, the North must no longer see itself in the old light of an imperial power over Nigeria. For 50 years, it was tried, tested and it failed.

Nobody can bring it back. Northerners must begin to see themselves as part and parcel of a Nigerian nation that belongs to everyone, where there are neither special privileges nor special impediments for any citizen based on tribe, religion, language and what have you. Because of its remaining geopolitical advantages, the North has a duty to lead the way in the search for a new Nigeria based on brotherhood, justice and equal rights.

When Nigerians are ready to choose a Northerner as president of Nigeria, we will not look for the Atikus, Babangidas, Ciromas, Kaitas and Yakassais who still live under the delusion of regional superiority complex.

We will look for the El Rufais, Nuhu Ribadus, Buba Marwas, Shamsideen Usmans and especially the Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s: men of vision, decision and action; patriots who are not slaves to their religious and regional circumstance, but people who have demonstrated their capacity to work for Nigeria and all Nigerians.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 4:48pm On Apr 09, 2011
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 5:04pm On Apr 09, 2011
EzeUche:

I could not have said that better myself. The young man walks around thinking he has a superior intellect, because he can copy and paste sources on the internet better than most, but that does not show his true intelligence. Thank you for shedding light on his behavior.

I can see that I am not the only one who has noticed that from his post.

Obviously, he has no rival on NL, at least, you, Ezeuche, arent any where close to him. As a matter of fact, you are not fit to iron his shirt. BTW, I dont see him walking around like he has superior intellect. And if you think he has superior intellect, it is because he oozes superior intellect, not because he talks about it.

He obviously doesnt go around acting like he knows everything. he argues with fact and sense, and any one can do that.
He is not a loud mouth like you Ibos.

He wasnt the one who boasted about attending an Ivy League neither did he boast about his group being superior to others.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2011
tpiah!:

he thinks he has a superior intellect because he was told he has a superior intellect.

however, he never stopped to ask himself if the actual facts on ground show him as possessing a superior intellect.

The guy bested you on the other thread. Let it go already. No one remembers, and what happened on that thread is definitely not enough reason to follow him around, acting like a cheerleader to those who have issues with him.

Eni to ba ju ni lo, le so eni nuuuu.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2011
namfav:

well, if you haven't noticed nana asama'u was in fact the most influential woman to emerge out of the 19th century in west africa by a great mile, so it is by all means accurate to mention her name, women like ezekwesili  have nothing on her, not today nor tomorrow, and anyway where does the national influence, political contribution, radical attitude and fearlessness come from? where was it 100 years ago and what did it achieve? just name me 1 igbo woman who is influential, who is refered in many quarters, i beg you to come up with 1 igbo woman who is as influential as nana asama'u, your logic is like comparing george bush to musa, haha comparing chimanada and her sad biafra story to nana, hahahaha, dude, you need a history lesson better just get your facts right, when we talk about women in islam and west africa in general in a historical perspective you can look no further than nana asama'u, you may not know her but that is because you are ignorant, on every islamic forum or community of muslims which has topics on females in muslim society you will most probably hear her name, you hear pakistanis, indonesians talking about her, what about your ezekwesili of this world hehe apart from when igbo men are beating their chests

[b]You still have not told me how Asama'u helped womanhood or influenced Nigeria and the world. You are yet to tell me how she contributed to the wellbeing of Nigeria and Nigerians. Nigeria is also made up of christians o!
I can confidently tell you that an Igbo daughter called Dora Akunyili saved lots of Nigerian lives (Christians and Muslims) through her persistent fight against fake drugs.
I can also tell you that Chioma Ajunwa made every Nigerian proud, irrespective of religious background and ethnic affiliation, by winning Nigeria's first ever gold in the Olympics.
I can tell you that Oby Ezekwesili influences World bank's actions that has notable financial impact on Nigeria, Africa and the world.
I can tell you that when Okereke-Onyiuke was in the SEC, if she coughs, the Nigerian Financial sector shakes. i guess you know the impact that SEC has on Nigeria's attractiveness to foreign investors. Even Dangote found it difficult to stand her.
I can also tell you that Chimamanda Adichie used her influence to create a positive image for Nigeria by exhibiting the beauty of Nigeria to the world (you are here calling her a loser).
Ok, please outline how your Asama'u made an impact on the lives of Nigerians? I hope you know that Nigeria is not Ottoman's empire, because I don't know what you were taught in your Almajiri School.
It is people like you that makes me wonder how I ended up being a Nigerian. You would have been rearing cows and strapping bombs if you weren't fortunate enough to have Igbos and Southern Nigerians around you.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 5:12pm On Apr 09, 2011
Onlytruth:

I hope other Nigerians observe the thinking style of namfav and relate it with Nigeria's failed leadership since after the war.
We are talking about women who have influenced the nation's development in the late 20th and earlier 21st century, and a supposed young northern Nigerian is busy trying to shove down a 19th century jihadist author down our collective throats.  undecided
And if we dare to hesitate to accept his own pick, he then mocks the achievements of great Nigerian women who actually achieved things that impacted him socio-economically and politically.   undecided

Pray, wouldn't such a character do his darnedest to thwart any rising Nigerian female star?
Do we stand a chance of having a Nigerian female president when we have characters in northern Nigeria still fixated on 19th century? Of course not.

Wonder why some of us are apprehensive about a Buhari presidency. Buhari rejected a woman FAR MORE COMPETENT than himself as a VP candidate. If anyone still don't understand why, read and follow namfagv on nairaland.  cool

dude you are too emotional, where did i say that women cannot have an education? i'd like atleast to have 1 wife who is educated, you are using me to generalize the whole north that's low, i guess that you have not even been to the north the reason why i used nana is because she is respected figure who was an advocate for education amongst female, and used that to validate using the qu'ran, if i were against women getting an education i would not have used her as an example and yes she is a great woman, try going onto your engine and look for her name, even 200 years on she is still being used as an example all across the world , those women are out of our memory in 50 years time, not your children or my children will talk about them
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2011
Justcash:

[b]You still have not told me how Asama'u helped womanhood or influenced Nigeria and the world. You are yet to tell me how she contributed to the wellbeing of Nigeria and Nigerians. Nigeria is also made up of christians o!
I can confidently tell you that an Igbo daughter called Dora Akunyili saved lots of Nigerian lives (Christians and Muslims) through her persistent fight against fake drugs.
I can also tell you that Chioma Ajunwa made every Nigerian proud, irrespective of religious background and ethnic affiliation, by winning Nigeria's first ever gold in the Olympics.
I can tell you that Oby Ezekwesili influences World bank's actions that has notable financial impact on Nigeria, Africa and the world.
I can tell you that when Okereke-Onyiuke was in the SEC, if she coughs, the Nigerian Financial sector shakes. i guess you know the impact that SEC has on Nigeria's attractiveness to foreign investors. Even Dangote found it difficult to stand her.
I can also tell you that Chimamanda Adichie used her influence to create a positive image for Nigeria by exhibiting the beauty of Nigeria to the world (you are here calling her a loser).
Ok, please outline how your Asama'u made an impact on the lives of Nigerians? I hope you know that Nigeria is not Ottoman's empire, because I don't know what you were taught in your Almajiri School.
It is people like you that makes me wonder how I ended up being a Nigerian. You would have been rearing cows and strapping bombs if you weren't fortunate enough to have Igbos and Southern Nigerians around you.
[/b]

speak for yourself, i don't know a single person who was saved by dora akunyili, i don't care about ajunwa she has not impacted my life, ezekwesili has not impacted my life, onyuike does not impact our lives there are many people that will take an honour to take that position, chimandanda and her biafra book has no impact on us, it's probably stuff that white people will like but it's not a book i will read, i am 100% certain you don't even have that book nor do most igbos

that is where you get lazy, try reading what nana has contributed to the world instead of asking me question, there are many books written (by people from outside) on this great woman, how she has not impacted the world (muslim world) is the question, when we talk about gender in recent history her name is one of those that comes up, you're pathetic
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 5:31pm On Apr 09, 2011
namfav:

speak for yourself, i don't know a single person who was saved by dora akunyili, i don't care about ajunwa she has not impacted my life, ezekwesili has not impacted my life, onyuike does not impact our lives there are many people that will take an honour to take that position, chimandanda and her biafra book has no impact on us, it's probably stuff that white people will like but it's not a book i will read, i am 100% certain you don't even have that book nor do most igbos

that is where you get lazy, try reading what nana has contributed to the world instead of asking me question, there are many books written (by people from outside) on this great woman, how she has not impacted the world (muslim world) is the question, when we talk about gender in recent history her name is one of those that comes up,  you're pathetic

Oh, you don't want to read about Biafra, but you want me to read about Allah, and his daughter who advocated for a Boko Haram type of education? Anuofia!
You call a woman that wrote about ottoman empire's bloody conquests a heroine, when She dint even fight or tell Ottoman and his blood suckers to stop killing and forcing captured women to be their slaves and wives. I bet queen Amina should be worshipped by you. The numb nature of your brain will change nothing though.
Nana Asama'u is popular my backside. I wonder why I just heard of her even though I mix with Muslims well.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 5:33pm On Apr 09, 2011
fstranger3:

Obviously, he has no rival on NL, at least, you, Ezeuche, arent any where close to him. As a matter of fact, you are not fit to iron his shirt. BTW, I dont see him walking around like he has superior intellect. And if you think he has superior intellect, it is because he oozes superior intellect, not because he talks about it.

He obviously doesnt go around acting like he knows everything. he argues with fact and sense, and any one can do that.
He is not a loud mouth like you Ibos.

He wasnt the one who boasted about attending an Ivy League neither did he boast about his group being superior to others.

This post is quite funny. grin I wont even dignify you with an insult. It is just sad when a man has to be a cheerleader of another man. That speaks volumes about your character.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 5:34pm On Apr 09, 2011
@namfav

Dude where did I say anything about education?
Have you been smoking hashish again? Please reread my post. undecided

As for your other reasons for not recognizing modern Nigerian women achievers, well, it is unfortunate, isn't it?

You typically capture why Nigeria will never be one, because, there is no way you can convince me that a 19th century Islamic author is more relevant to Nigeria than a 21st century technocrat who shaved billions off Nigeria's debt.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 09, 2011
^^your statement is contradictory.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 5:41pm On Apr 09, 2011
^^
Pray, how?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 09, 2011
there is no way you can convince me that a 19th century Islamic author is more relevant to Nigeria than a 21st century technocrat who shaved billions off Nigeria's debt.

are you forgetting usman dan fodio?

the statement was too general.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Boko Haram Willing To Discuss Surrender And Release Of Chibok Girls / The Politics Of Ika And Ndigbo : Unearthing Facts / Amaechi Swears-in 22 New Elected Council Chairmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.