Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,588 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (25012 Views)

Fayose Better Than Other Nigerian Politician - Photos Speak / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / Igbo Women Visit Iara Oshiomole In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Jenifa1: 7:12am On Apr 08, 2011
Some kwarans are all mixed up with yoruba and hausa aren't they. where would those fit.

Pweety4me:

What's that drink that hausa people sell?it's like ribena or something

lol i used to buy ribena from a mallam

but they sell zobo too hahaha
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 08, 2011
generally speaking, level of education is inversely proportional to number of children had.

meaning a less educated woman is likely to have more children than an educated one.

as for problems in future- na bigger pool of available wives nah.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by ektbear: 7:15am On Apr 08, 2011
tpiah!:

generally speaking, level of education is inversely proportional to number of children had.

meaning a less educated woman is likely to have more children than an educated one.

as for problems in future- na bigger pool of available wives nah.

Bigger pool of almajiris, suicide bombers, radicals, etc. More mouths to feed. Etc, etc. More votes to screw over southern Nigeria politically
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

The fertility rate in the NW and NE are really high though. 7.3 in the NW versus 5.7 nationally. Only 4.5 in the SW. That is going to create a lot of problems in the future . . .  Federal Republic of Hausaland undecided

Isnt it part of their religion? Condom or any sort of contraception is forbidden by Allah?
Religion and culture plays a role. Don't want to sound ignorant, but I doubt most of them understand contraceptive/preventative methods.
Lil children being forced into marriage at age 12, most of them barely matured/uneducated, how can they prevent pregnancy from their domineering grandpapa aka husband?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Pweety4me(f): 7:16am On Apr 08, 2011
Jenifa_:

lol i used to buy ribena from a mallam

but they sell zobo too hahaha

yea it's inside a plastic tin like dis, it's sweet innit tongue
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 08, 2011
Some kwarans are all mixed up with yoruba and hausa aren't they. where would those fit.

whatever is the father's tribe.

with the occasional exception.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Jenifa1: 7:20am On Apr 08, 2011
^ that's true. so two kwarans may be related to each other but one is yoruba and the other will be hausa. lol it gets all complicated after a while

Pweety4me:

yea it's inside a plastic tin like dis, it's sweet innit tongue

ribena? The one I know comes in a paper carton thing. the big size comes in a glass bottle.
I don't know about nowadays though. I guess they sell them in plastic containers now. lol
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Isnt it part of their religion? Condom or any sort of contraception is forbidden by Allah?
Religion and culture plays a role. Don't want to sound ignorant, but I doubt most of them understand contraceptive/preventative methods.
Lil children being forced into marriage at age 12, most of them barely matured/uneducated, how can they prevent pregnancy from their domineering grandpapa aka husband?

If you were born in the north, you'll probably be having your 5th child by now. Women in this part of Nigeria are caught in a very oppressive system which does not encourage them to get any formal education. It is a vicious circle.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Pweety4me(f): 7:33am On Apr 08, 2011
Jenifa_:

ribena? The one I know comes in a paper carton thing. the big size comes in a glass bottle.
I don't know about nowadays though. I guess they sell them in plastic containers now. lol
Not ribena the zobo stuff
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Pweety4me(f): 7:34am On Apr 08, 2011
Yoruba's r the besttt!! cool tongue
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

If you were born in the north, you'll probably be having your 5th child by now. Women in this part of Nigeria are caught in a very oppressive system which does not encourage them to get any formal education. It is a vicious circle.

That's why I thank my heavenly father that I was born to an Ekiti mother into Ekitiland.  cool
Who wants to oppress us? Na who craze reach?

Anywaz, religion is the worst bundle one could carry.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 7:47am On Apr 08, 2011
put all of them together and they still have not achieved what nana asma'u has
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by onyengbu: 7:48am On Apr 08, 2011
Somehow it appears this tribal discussions are better than all this GEJ/BUHARI war.

Probably because it isnt getting ugly yet.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 8:10am On Apr 08, 2011
[b]Yeah, Igbo women excel more than  women in other ethnic groups. It's a fact that does not in anyway downgrade  women in other ethnic groups.
fStranger is a born tribalist. That it why it is so hard for him to swallow. I now believe that he is a either kid or a pre-matured adult.

I think it has something to do with culture. In Igbo tradition, I think women gat more right when compared to the supremacy of men over women in Yoruba and Hausa ethnic groups. Remember the Aba Women's riot? I think it was not an unusual event to the colonialists. That was why they dint really like the audacious attitude of Igbo men and women. They would have been flabbergasted if the riot was carried out by Yoruba or Hausa Women.

Divorce rate differential is another way to measure the differences in gender influence and respect across the ethnic groups. Yoruba and Hausa men will never take bullshit from their wives. They simply send their wives away if they give them problems.
The skyrocketing divorce rate in Yoruba land is because Yoruba ladies are becoming very very bold. Their men aint ready to take that. On the other hand,  Hausa Women are still humble. I bet if they do anyhow, they will receive some "short sleeve cuts" from the sharia court. Naturally, Igbo men are aware that their wives can give them bullshit, and they will bear it because Igbo women are known to be outspoken. It is also shameful to divorce in Igboland. It is a real big issue.

Like I said before, the post is true. However, it doesn't mean that Yoruba and Hausa Women are irrelevant and inferior. There are several hausa women with political appointments e.g head of EFFC. We all saw how influential Yar'adua's wife was.  There are also very influential Yoruba Women. One of the chairmen of ACN in one of the Western states is a Lady.  There is also an outspoken lady like OBJ's daughter from Yorubaland too[/b]
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 8:18am On Apr 08, 2011
In Yorubaland, I see only one model of a woman to rival Igbo women.

Her name is Chief Mrs Bola Kuforiji-Olubi. cool

Are you sure that babe ain't Igbo. grin runs away before Ileke bites off my head.

@topic,

Culture, Culture, Culture,

Been there even before the white man showed up in naija.

Just God's design.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 8:22am On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

Was that what you were told in your Almajiri higher Education college? Sigh.
Anyway thanks for exposing her. I'll add her to the list of the people that I'll use to showcase Nigeria and Africa to people that thinks that Africans are monkeys and cavemen * No thanks to the gods must be crazy*.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 8:38am On Apr 08, 2011
this is why igbos will never get their desire of biafra, nana asma'u was the sister of khalifa and yet she inspired many women inside and outside, she still remains one of the most highly esteemed muslim woman in the world used across the world as an example, how about chimamanda, when will her people achieve something under their wish (biafra)?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 10:39am On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

this is why igbos will never get their desire of biafra, nana asma'u was the sister of khalifa and yet she inspired many women inside and outside, she still remains one of the most highly esteemed muslim woman in the world used across the world as an example, how about chimamanda, when will her people achieve something under their wish (biafra)?

Haba, wetin carry Biafra enter the tok now?
Okay, Asma'u is the bestest. Can you drop the Biafra tok now? *Before you start talking about blowing yo'self up*
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 11:43am On Apr 08, 2011
Justcash:

Haba, wetin carry Biafra enter the tok now?
Okay, Asma'u is the bestest. Can you drop the Biafra tok now? *Before you start talking about blowing yo'self up*

please, you igbos obsess over biafra since when is it wrong to talk about your greatest failure?

i am 120% sure even igbos don't know most of those womens cry
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Justcash(m): 12:26pm On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

please, you igbos obsess over biafra since when is it wrong to talk about your greatest failure?

i am 120% sure even igbos don't know most of those womens  cry

Hahahahahahahhahaahahahhahahaha! Greatest failure? Biafra seems to be your biggest Nightmare. You don't want Nigerian Easterners to leave you abi? Anuofia!
Wetin concern the topic and Biafra anyway? This topic is about successful Igbo women. Let's keep it that way. Aturu hausa. SMH
LWKMD!
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 12:33pm On Apr 08, 2011
Justcash:

Hahahahahahahhahaahahahhahahaha! Greatest failure? Biafra seems to be your biggest Nightmare. You don't want Nigerian Easterners to leave you abi? Anuofia!
Wetin concern the topic and Biafra anyway? This topic is about successful Igbo women. Let's keep it that way. Aturu hausa. SMH
LWKMD!

as i said, put those women together and they would not have achieved what nana asama'u has achieved, none of those women will be known 50 years from now, this is what they say about nana today, 200 years on

Nana Asma’u continued legacy rests not just on her literary work and role in defining the values of the Sokoto state. Today in Northern Nigeria, Islamic women's organisation, schools, and meeting halls are commonly named for her. She re-entered the debate on the role of women in Islam in the 20th century, as her legacy has been carried by Islamic scholars and immigrants to Europe and its academic debates. The republishing and translation of her works has brought added attention to the purely literary value of her prose and poems.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by jason123: 12:39pm On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

as i said, put those women together and they would not have achieved what nana asama'u has achieved, none of those women will be known 50 years from now, this is what they say about nana today, 200 years on

Navfam, I was actually enjoying this topic before you brought Biafra into it! angry angry angry
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 1:15pm On Apr 08, 2011
jason123:

Navfam, I was actually enjoying this topic before you brought Biafra into it! angry angry angry

this topic was created to put igbo women ontop of other women, which is a fallacy and unfair
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
dont mind that fani kayode and his multiple mistresses.

they've started now.

i for answer the guy properly if not that his daughters sometimes defend him on the web.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 08, 2011
also, the head of EFCC is Tiv, @ the person calling her hausa.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by 2muchlogic(m): 1:38pm On Apr 08, 2011
Is this Fani being cynical to undermine Igbo men? or maybe hes head over heels in love with his Mistress Chioma Anasoh, well whatever the case some nice solid statistics and references would be nice to support his notions

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUx18nPiNo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQlL5lkf_jM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyqEeSBSAs?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVCTsY7un14?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqQiLXOo8U?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 2:37pm On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

this topic was created to put igbo women ontop of other women, which is a fallacy and unfair

Stop crying and learn to respect women. We all know the men up North have a hard time respecting women. It seems like you all are either insecure or intimidated by women.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by libby77: 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2011
I believe the man was only emphasizing the last twelve years, He acknowledged the dominance of the Yorubas in the last eighty years and asked what factor has been responsible for the emergence of the Igbo woman in the  sociocultural and economic life of Nigeria since then.

Fani Kayode did not try to compare the general economic and educational superiority of the two groups and we should not try to ascribe to him  what he did not intend in his write up.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by namfav(m): 2:41pm On Apr 08, 2011
EzeUche:

Stop crying and learn to respect women. We all know the men up North have a hard time respecting women. It seems like you all are either insecure or intimidated by women.

im actually happy for successful women

you're a dumb igbo
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 2:43pm On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

im actually happy for successful women

you're a dumb igbo

This is coming from a backwards Northerner. You are one audacious individual I must say in order for you to say that to your betters.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 08, 2011
Onlytruth:

In Yorubaland, I see only one model of a woman to rival Igbo women.

Her name is Chief Mrs Bola Kuforiji-Olubi. cool

Are you sure that babe ain't Igbo. grin runs away before Ileke bites off my head.

@topic,

Culture, Culture, Culture,

Been there even before the white man showed up in naija.

Just God's design.

LOL she's not. But we're willing to give you guys OBJ wink
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Dede1(m): 4:17pm On Apr 08, 2011
namfav:

The thought of bringing the name of Nana Asam'u in discussion about cadre of women mentioned by Femi Fani Kayode is culpable insult. It is a shocking matter that certain people could not differentiate a token memorial from real individual achievement. If shouting “Allah Akbar” to induce headache is regarded as one of the epic achievements of Nana Asam'u as one delusional namfav would want us to believe, it is definitely not out of vogue that suicidal undertakings such as Jihad was and continues to be an accepted trend in the northern region of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Kayode Ogundamisi Mocks Ezekwesili For Withdrawing From Presidential Race / Police Deployed To Guard Hausa Settlement In Imo / BREAKING: Suicide Bomber Strikes In Gombe State On New Year’s Eve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.