Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices (7823 Views)

Polaris Bank Contract Staff Threaten Strike Over Salary Disparity / Maritime Workers Threaten Strike Over Arrest Of 20 Dockworkers In Rivers / N-power Beneficiaries Threaten To Go On Strike Over Non-Payment Of Allowances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Officialhorlah(m): 10:33am On Feb 26, 2021
Private Telecommunications and Communications Senior Staff Association of Nigeria has threatened to disrupt the activities of Huawei Technologies Nigeria if they kept denying workers the right to unionise.

The labour union on Thursday issued a 14-day ultimatum to the management of the company to meet its demands, adding that failure would lead to disruption of telecommunications services across the country.

Speaking at a press conference in Lagos, the General Secretary, PTECSSAN, Okonu Abdulahi, alleged that the companies had resorted to intimidation and harassment of workers for attempting to organise themselves into a labour union.

He accused the management of issuing some workers warning letters to discourage them from exercising their rights to freedom of association, saying the company threatened to sack them.

According to him, it had become the hallmark of the company to make workers perform their duties under duress, adding that the use of foul language on the workers was also prevalent in the organisation.

Abdullahi said, “All our efforts in the past to address all the labour related issues confronting the workers in the company have been rebuffed by its management.

“Ultimate of which is gross disregard and denial of the workers their fundamental right to Freedom of Association as enshrined in Section 40 of the Constitution of the Federal republic of Nigeria as well as Section 12(4) of the Trade Union Act LFN 2004 and ILO Conventions 87 and 98.

“We are reiterating that if our demands are not fully and appropriately complied with by Huawei Technologies Nigeria Limited on or before March 12, 2021, we shall withdraw every guarantee of industrial peace within the company. Sadly, services may be disrupted across the nation throughout networks that Huawei is associated with from midnight of Friday, March 12, 2021.”

Some of the demands of the union, according to the general secretary, are for the company to respect the right of workers to freely join the union and the immediate withdrawal of warning letters and threats issued to the leaders of the workers that tried to form a union.

The association also demanded the employment regularisation of all Huawei causal workers, a stop to continued abuse of expatriate quota policy, provision of personal protective equipment for field engineers and ensuring occupational health and safety measures were in place.

Abdullahi asked for the immediate commencement of discussion and negotiation of Procedural Agreement and Collective Bargaining Agreement with the union of the workers.
https://punchng.com/telecom-workers-threaten-services-disruption-over-anti-labour-practices/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Veiilaa(f): 11:04am On Feb 26, 2021
Na wa ooo
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by olaolulazio(m): 11:04am On Feb 26, 2021
Make them strike if them like.
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by inoki247: 11:04am On Feb 26, 2021
Sha no off network when going...

6 Likes

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by LoudLord(m): 11:05am On Feb 26, 2021
angry

As I dey like this I dey vex gan for NL
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by lemon10(m): 11:05am On Feb 26, 2021
d
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by RichDad1(m): 11:06am On Feb 26, 2021
Telecoms and the Banking sectors are beehive of these inhuman practices.

9 Likes

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Commonguy(m): 11:06am On Feb 26, 2021
nah Dem Sabi
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by osamz007: 11:06am On Feb 26, 2021
WHY ALWAYS HUAWEI

9 Likes

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by NrwCrown0217(m): 11:06am On Feb 26, 2021
Waitine Concern Signboard with who dey sell Kpo.
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by merits(m): 11:07am On Feb 26, 2021
grin
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by tillaman(m): 11:07am On Feb 26, 2021
Way to go good people
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Perfectsouth(m): 11:08am On Feb 26, 2021
AS if we've not had enough in this country
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Womanizer(m): 11:09am On Feb 26, 2021
Jjj
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Kobicove(m): 11:09am On Feb 26, 2021
Confusion everywhere sad

But let's be honest if the owners of the company say they don't want any labour unions in their organisation I see no reason why you should want to force them undecided

1 Like

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Reex12(m): 11:11am On Feb 26, 2021
even in our country were still victims

it is well

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Queenlovely(f): 11:11am On Feb 26, 2021
These workers are all contract staffs,

when I went to MTN office at maitaima, see how all these contract staff behaves, as if they own MTN
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by merits(m): 11:11am On Feb 26, 2021
wink

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Iglord: 11:12am On Feb 26, 2021
These people dont see us as human, why allow them into the country at first?

What we cant produce we dont need it
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Seniorwriter(m): 11:13am On Feb 26, 2021
Wahala be like bicycle
(Nigeria)
Deep Quote
One step is needed to start a journey ...most times that is the step that sees to a successful journey!

Cheers
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Simili44(m): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2021
The most worst part of the whole issue is that the Nigerians that are at the helm of the affairs will be the one issuing the threatening letters to there fellow country men... Na we dey do ourself... Na them tell all this telecommunications company to reduce customer care agent pay..

1 Like

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by bremo(m): 11:18am On Feb 26, 2021
This has been going on for too long. It's long overdue to stop this attitude of Huawei Chinese managers from maltreating their Nigerian colleagues. Almost all their Nigerian staff are on contract with no salary increase and if you try talking, it's termination of appointment. Nigeria will get better by God's grace.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Dre555: 11:24am On Feb 26, 2021
Man born of a woman have little days filled with trouble.
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by obyrich(m): 11:26am On Feb 26, 2021
Queenlovely:
These workers are all contract staffs,

when I went to MTN office at maitaima, see how all these contract staff behaves,

contract staff especially banks are worst, It's been almost ten years I entered a bank in Nigeria, my account officer does all of my transaction,

There was this day I was at the field, and decided to go into first Bank branch at Escavos. These women can form high and mighty with nothing in their account.

After printing out my financial statement, they became loyal.
How does all what you wrote up there relate to the topic In discourse, madam super rich?

Do you mean that a contract worker doesn't have a right to agitate for a better working condition?

In one fell swoop you jumped from MTN to FBN to your account officer without addressing this issue raised. Please be humble, it pays.

2 Likes

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by Ate247(m): 11:34am On Feb 26, 2021
obyrich:
How does all what you wrote up there relate to the topic In discourse, madam super rich?

Do you mean that a contract worker doesn't have a right to agitate for a better working condition?

In one fell swoop you jumped from MTN to FBN to your account officer without addressing this issue raised. Please be humble, it pays.
The working conditions might be poor. But that left for the workers to go report to NLC. If u want a union go own your company. Not in another man's company. All this unionism is rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by dawahlarry: 11:38am On Feb 26, 2021
osamz007:

WHY ALWAYS HUAWEI
They are evil. These are what people working with them and their subcontractors have been facing since. The word "f*ck you" was used 3 times for me few days ago by one of the Chinese at Huawei. Nokia and Ericsson are not like this.

2 Likes

Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by captainamiedi1: 11:40am On Feb 26, 2021
Make una nor try am. remote workers might lose their Jobs as well. make i go buy fuel incase. i go dey flex my router
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by obyrich(m): 11:43am On Feb 26, 2021
Ate247:
The working conditions might be poor. But that left for the workers to go report to NLC. If u want a union go own your company. Not in another man's company. All this unionism is rubbish.
Really? grin
Re: Telecom Workers Threaten Services Disruption Over Anti-Labour Practices by manikspears: 11:44am On Feb 26, 2021
Ate247:

Na you first speak sense. Plus,who told them the condition of service would get better becauseoftheunion. The so called union are only there for their pockets.once the company settles them, they are free to break coconut with staff's head. See our own nlc .it will shock them that the union will join the management to torture their staff.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me / How To Work With A Difficult Boss / Discussion: Follow Your Talents And Passion Or Follow The Bag?!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.