Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. (6459 Views)

Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Before You Come To Ireland!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:16pm On Mar 05, 2021
Based on the first part of this topic (https://www.nairaland.com/4837933/before-come-ireland), I received a lot of PMs but unfortunately I could not respond to all of them, but I promised many people that I will create another thread on this with frequently asked questions and more updated information.

It took almost 3 years to create second part, wow life can be very busy and fast.

Note: This is written from study visa point of view and not for all immigration permission/visas

Unlike the first thread, I will be going into more specific and higher level information in this one, based on the questions Nairalanders ask me the most (frequently asked questions). If you want to have a general view of immigration to Ireland, I advise you to refer back to the first part of this topic.

2 Likes

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:17pm On Mar 05, 2021
What courses/program to study?

This is tricky question, because not everyone is eligible to do certain courses, or even have the interest or determination in undertaking certain courses/programs.

Though if you want to stand a better chance in getting a job and ultimately a visa sponsorship, I will strongly advise you go for IT related courses, Civil/Mechanical Engineering , and medical courses like Pharmacy, Medical Doctor, Nursing, Radiography, etc. not Public Health though.

As many of you may already know, only certain courses/Jobs are on the Critical skill occupation, see the list here: https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Employment-Permit-Eligibility/Highly-Skilled-Eligible-Occupations-List/.

The main advantage Critical skill offers is providing a faster and less stressful way to get your Stamp 4 (Permanent residency), once your critical skill visa is approved, you will be granted a Stamp 1 which you will renew on a yearly basis for 2 years, then after that you can apply for Support letter for a stamp 4, if granted by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, you can then go to the Immigration office/Garda station and apply for a stamp 4.

I am not here to argue or degrade anybody’s career choice, just giving what I think is the right information based on empirical evidence. I know many aspiring students just want to leave Nigeria by any means necessary and often times don’t do much research to know what the job market and immigration life holds for them. Coming to Ireland to do Courses like Human resource management, Project management, English, Literature studies, Journalism, Sociology, Zoology, Adult program etc, will present a serious challenge in getting a qualifying job for Critical skill or even any job at all related to what you studied.

Obviously, there are exceptions/outliers to this, you can study Literature studies and still get a job which can sponsor you for a general permit because Literature studies and jobs you will get with that degree is not on the Critical skill list.

I don’t think you want to pay €10000 or more for a course and you’re unable to get a job and sponsorship after such big investment.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:19pm On Mar 05, 2021
"The Curse of Stamp 1G":

Yeaaah, let’s dive into this topic.

Stamp 1G also known as Third Level Graduate Programme, this is one of the main “selling points” of the Irish dream, lol

“Just come you will get a Stamp 1G for 2 years if you graduate”. Yeah this is true but what these agents don’t tell you is the reality of life as a Stamp 1G visa holder. Most companies and recruiters solely request for a Stamp 4 and EU passport as a requirement for job application. When you don’t have either one of them, it’s mostly an automatic/immediate rejection.

Sure you will get “jobs” with your stamp 1G, jobs like a dishwasher/kitchen assistant, health care assistant, stock taker etc.

Once again this is not a blanket statement, I am not saying you can’t get a job in Novartis/Baxter/MSD/Eli Lilly with a Stamp 1G, just saying it is much harder, like real hard, you can ask people that are on stamp 1G currently in Ireland. I know my lovely Nigerian people know how to argue or be wilfully arrogant and religious, you will see them saying “it’s not my portion, my case is different” lmao. No wahala na. grin cheesy

Now there are companies that are very welcoming to sponsoring Non-EU citizens, companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook and the HSE (Health Service Executive: they are in charge of medical services in Ireland, they are the highest employer of Health professionals).

The caveat to Amazon, Google and Facebook is that you actually have to have the skills they are looking for, lol. And those skills are mostly core IT related. The interview process is intense and not for the faint hearted. You can get a referral from a Nigerian or someone already working this companies, so at least you may even get called for an interview. There are quite a few Nigerians working in Amazon (Dublin Branch) you can connect with them through LinkedIn.

Furthermore, I will also advise you to review this link:https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Statistics/. You will see the Employment Permits statistical tables and company listings, this is basically number of work permits granted to companies on a yearly basis.

The list may assist you in making targeted applications to these companies, as you will know that they have a history of sponsoring Non-EU citizens for a visa.

The 2 years granted for Stamp 1G (Graduates at an NFQ level 9), runs faster than Usain Bolt, before you know it you are thinking on the next step because you have not been able to get a work permit sponsorship to transition to a Stamp 1. This is when the depression, anxiety and stress kicks in, most people try to get into sham marriages, or another Master’s degree or program to extend their stay in the Country, some leave/relocate to Canada, USA or UK for better opportunities.

Just take a minute and think about doing a second master’s program or diploma, just because your stamp 1G is expiring, most of you reading this may not understand, I really advise you to engage more with Nigerians actually living as students in Ireland, let them tell you their lived experience.

I am very cautious of making blanket statements, as in life there are always exceptions or different realities for people, a quick example is Nigeria, there are many people suffering and struggling to eat or drink clean water, same Nigeria we have people like Davido and other ballers staying in Lekki phase 2 and Asoroko, lol. Do you think this “ballers” are experiencing Nigeria the same way as someone staying in Makoko/Surulere/Mushin or Diobi (lol, I am just joking).

What I am trying to say is that, some students come to Ireland and are employed even with Stamp 2 while still studying, and are sponsored for a critical skill, now this is an example of outliers, it is not a common occurrence. The vast majority of students usually struggle a bit harder to get a work permit.

There is also a Stamp 1G given to spouses of people who have Critical skill visa or Stamp 4, I did not dive into that, as this thread is solely from a student perspective.

2 Likes

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:20pm On Mar 05, 2021
RENT:

Rents in Dublin are the most expensive rents in Ireland, and Dublin actually ranks on top 15 most expensive cities to live in Europe: https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/1214/1184385-expensive-cities/#:~:text=Geneva%20is%20the%20most%20expensive,Scandinavian%20and%20other%20Swiss%20cities.

Average rent for a double ensuite room (self-contained) will be somewhere around €1200 -€2000, renting an apartment in Dublin city will be somewhere around €2500 -€3000 per month, to comfortably pay that amount of rent, you have to be earning like €80,000 per annum with no mortgages and no serious financial engagements. (https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/dublin, https://www.daft.ie/sharing/dublin) (the link may not be accessible with a Nigerian ISP/IP address, use a VPN or proxy server).

Most of the high paying jobs are in Dublin and the highest ranked school in Ireland (Trinity College Dublin) is also located in Dublin.
One of the upside of the Covid pandemic is that Companies are now allowing employees to work from home, and you may not have to be living in Dublin.

Cork is another county, it has quite a few companies, rent is cheaper, life is slower there, unlike Dublin that is like a mini Lagos with crowded buses/Luas, crowded shopping malls, so if you like city intense life, Dublin is the place for you.

Other nice counties are Galway, Limerick. They are multi-cultural to an extent.
If you go to Wexford, lol. You will probably be the 10th black person in the county. Get ready to be starred down on the street.

2 Likes

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:24pm On Mar 05, 2021
Racism

Well it’s better than Russia and Eastern European countries, the Government in power is a coalition government made up by 3 parties (Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Green Party).

They are not right wing parties, they have policies that are fair enough, I heard the are even planning on giving some form of amnesty to undocumented people who have been living in Ireland for some years now. Don’t get it twisted, there are many racists in Ireland, just like in Nigeria that has tribalist and religious extremists. But as I said in the first part of this topic, the whole country is not racist.

A good thing to note is that right wing and fascism has been raising across European and Ireland is not excluded, they have people like Gemma O’ Doherty, John Waters, political parties like Aontú, National Party and platforms like Liberal.ie, Gript.ie, Dublinlive doing their underground work.

As a Nigerian Immigrant you will be constantly labelled as a welfare recipient, and a scammer up to no good, lol

1 Like

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:25pm On Mar 05, 2021
Conclusion;

As I said at the beginning, this write up is more of a higher level information, not the basic information about immigration to Ireland as a student, I advise you to check the first part of the topic and other related topics for more information.

Useful links:
https://www.nairaland.com/4837933/before-come-ireland
https://www.nairaland.com/4630469/road-ireland
http://inis.gov.ie/
https://www.nairaland.com/4056995/general-irish-student-visa-work

5 Likes

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by niyogeol(m): 11:32am On Mar 06, 2021
Mcowubaba,

You have touched on many things that there is little to add. Kudos man.

But my one kobo is for people considering another study in Ireland after exhausting their time on 1G should shelve the thought. Because 1G can't be used beyond the 2 years it is granted for - meaning you won't be entitled to 1G again even if you study another course. Except if the Minister of Justice grant a discretionary extension. So for folks in this situation, don't go and spend your hard earned money again. Because you will likely be postponing your fears of not confronting the reality that lies ahead.

So people should instead go to UK for another study as they are bringing their own 2 years post study visa on stream. Canada express entry is another thing people should give a shot at. Or even further studies in Canada or USA. Or for people still interested in further studies, you can try PhD opportunities in other parts of Europe and Australia. All of these moves will require money. So endeavor to save up from the hustle you currently hold and not blowing the cash just to impress people on Instagram.

For people still in naija yet to make the move, please like Mcowubaba has stated above, consider the course you are going to Ireland to study. Don't go and burn over #6m just because you want to leave naija to go and face uncertainty of doing things not commensurate with the degree you will acquire.

1 Like

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 2:24pm On Mar 06, 2021
niyogeol:
Mcowubaba,

But my one kobo is for people considering another study in Ireland after exhausting their time on 1G should shelve the thought. Because 1G can't be used beyond the 2 years it is granted for - meaning you won't be entitled to 1G again even if you study another course. Except if the Minister of Justice grant a discretionary extension. So for folks in this situation, don't go and spend your hard earned money again. Because you will likely be postponing your fears of not confronting the reality that lies ahead.

So people should instead go to UK for another study as they are bringing their own 2 years post study visa on stream. Canada express entry is another thing people should give a shot at. Or even further studies in Canada or USA. Or for people still interested in further studies, you can try PhD opportunities in other parts of Europe and Australia. All of these moves will require money. So endeavor to save up from the hustle you currently hold and not blowing the cash just to impress people on Instagram.

For people still in naija yet to make the move, please like Mcowubaba has stated above, consider the course you are going to Ireland to study. Don't go and burn over #6m just because you want to leave naija to go and face uncertainty of doing things not commensurate with the degree you will acquire.
Thanks for the input, very brilliant comment
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Thermodynamics(m): 10:22pm On Mar 15, 2021
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Thermodynamics(m): 10:24pm On Mar 15, 2021
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Cyberknight: 6:50am On Mar 16, 2021
Mcowubaba:
Racism

Well it’s better than Russia and Eastern European countries, the Government in power is a coalition government made up by 3 parties (Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Green Party).

They are not right wing parties, they have policies that are fair enough, I heard the are even planning on giving some form of amnesty to undocumented people who have been living in Ireland for some years now. Don’t get it twisted, there are many racists in Ireland, just like in Nigeria that has tribalist and religious extremists. But as I said in the first part of this topic, the whole country is not racist.

A good thing to note is that right wing and fascism has been raising across European and Ireland is not excluded, they have people like Gemma O’ Doherty, John Water, political parties like Aontú, National Party and platforms like Liberal.ie doing their underground work.

As a Nigerian Immigrant you will be constantly labelled as a welfare recipient, and a scammer up to no good, lol

Any time I think of Ireland, I remember that remarkable phrase "reckonable residence" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Munamoqel: 10:00am On Oct 18, 2021
niyogeol:
Mcowubaba,

hello i got admission to study business analysis in Dublin bussiness school. This will cost me around 7m in tution .I read about the several visa type after graduation.especailly the stamp 1 which was designed to narrow oppurntiies for non e.u people .what is the chance of securing job with this course of study.

2 Likes

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by niyogeol(m): 3:58pm On Oct 18, 2021
Munamoqel:
hello i got admission to study business analysis in Dublin bussiness school. This will cost me around 7m in tution .I read about the several visa type after graduation.especailly the stamp 1 which was designed to narrow oppurntiies for non e.u people .what is the chance of securing job with this course of study.
Hello. First, I don’t know much about Business Analytics. But it will serve you well to check if it is on the critical skill list. That way you can know what you are getting into.

Again, the UK is a bigger market than Ireland given the population of UK at about 67 million and Ireland just about 5 million. This means the opportunities in the UK would be more than that of Ireland.

The catch for Ireland before was the post study they were offering. And now that UK is offering the same thing, I would wager on UK than Ireland.

As to the money you will be spending, it is up to you to decide if it will be worth it or otherwise. You know yourself than I can ever do. Check your circumstances and make the decision that would best serve you. I hope this helps. Cheers.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Fojwa: 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2021
Please sir, I had secure admission to study Masters of science in Financial Technology at Dublin Business School and tuition fees had been fully paid which is about 7million naira, my question is that does Financial Technology worth it? What is the probability of me getting a job while studying even unskilled jobs. I'm really curious about your eyes opener write up.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 6:51am On Oct 19, 2021
Fojwa:
Please sir, I had secure admission to study Masters of science in Financial Technology at Dublin Business School and tuition fees had been fully paid which is about 7million naira, my question is that does Financial Technology worth it? What is the probability of me getting a job while studying even unskilled jobs. I'm really curious about your eyes opener write up.

Ireland is big with financial related jobs, but you'll need work experience and industry certifications to go with it.

I won't call any job unskilled, but I get your point. Getting a job during your study has a high possibility, many jobs hire students on a part time basis, jobs like health care assistant, store/retail assistant, kitchen portal, stock taker and even office jobs are not totally out of the realm of possibility.

As I said in the write up, nothing is absolute, there are always outliers and life is individualistic. Meaning 2 people may study financial technology, one will get a good job with visa sponsorship while the other won't get such job or work sponsorship.

2 Likes

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Fojwa: 11:17am On Oct 19, 2021
Please when is your starting date?
Munamoqel:
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Munamoqel: 11:47am On Oct 19, 2021
Fojwa:
Please when is your starting date?
January.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Fojwa: 8:43am On Oct 20, 2021
Oh that's great! The same time with mine but please how far about Visa application and other traveling stuff
Munamoqel:
January.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Fojwa: 5:41am On Dec 28, 2021
Visa have been given to me but from the look of things I may not travel a again due to medical reasons, please do you have any idea on how to get my tuition fees back? Please help me
Fojwa:
Oh that's great! The same time with mine but please how far about Visa application and other traveling stuff
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by SireSommy69(m): 2:15am On Aug 04, 2022
Good morning guys.
Please, 1. I have a deadline of 30th of August to pay €8,000 of my tuition fee (NCI - Ireland) and I have applied for CBN's Form A (on the 3/8/2022 through Access Bank). Please, what should I do hasten it? So I can meet up?

2. My former and current employers never gave me payslips, but I am to provide a 6 Months payslip. I only received my salaries through my salary account, allowances as cash that's all nothing more. What do you advice?
I have approached my manager from the former work place, he has no idea what payslips are.

3. Seeing that I am aiming for January intake, what else should I be doing now with the time I have left?

I would really appreciate any help I can get from you guys here.

Mcowubaba:
"The Curse of Stamp 1G":

Yeaaah, let’s dive into this topic.

Stamp 1G also known as Third Level Graduate Programme, this is one of the main “selling points” of the Irish dream, lol

“Just come you will get a Stamp 1G for 2 years if you graduate”. Yeah this is true but what these agents don’t tell you is the reality of life as a Stamp 1G visa holder. Most companies and recruiters solely request for a Stamp 4 and EU passport as a requirement for job application. When you don’t have either one of them, it’s mostly an automatic/immediate rejection.

Sure you will get “jobs” with your stamp 1G, jobs like a dishwasher/kitchen assistant, health care assistant, stock taker etc.

Once again this is not a blanket statement, I am not saying you can’t get a job in Novartis/Baxter/MSD/Eli Lilly with a Stamp 1G, just saying it is much harder, like real hard, you can ask people that are on stamp 1G currently in Ireland. I know my lovely Nigerian people know how to argue or be wilfully arrogant and religious, you will see them saying “it’s not my portion, my case is different” lmao. No wahala na. grin cheesy

Now there are companies that are very welcoming to sponsoring Non-EU citizens, companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook and the HSE (Health Service Executive: they are in charge of medical services in Ireland, they are the highest employer of Health professionals).

The caveat to Amazon, Google and Facebook is that you actually have to have the skills they are looking for, lol. And those skills are mostly core IT related. The interview process is intense and not for the faint hearted. You can get a referral from a Nigerian or someone already working this companies, so at least you may even get called for an interview. There are quite a few Nigerians working in Amazon (Dublin Branch) you can connect with them through LinkedIn.

Furthermore, I will also advise you to review this link:https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Statistics/. You will see the Employment Permits statistical tables and company listings, this is basically number of work permits granted to companies on a yearly basis.

The list may assist you in making targeted applications to these companies, as you will know that they have a history of sponsoring Non-EU citizens for a visa.

The 2 years granted for Stamp 1G (Graduates at an NFQ level 9), runs faster than Usain Bolt, before you know it you are thinking on the next step because you have not been able to get a work permit sponsorship to transition to a Stamp 1. This is when the depression, anxiety and stress kicks in, most people try to get into sham marriages, or another Master’s degree or program to extend their stay in the Country, some leave/relocate to Canada, USA or UK for better opportunities.

Just take a minute and think about doing a second master’s program or diploma, just because your stamp 1G is expiring, most of you reading this may not understand, I really advise you to engage more with Nigerians actually living as students in Ireland, let them tell you their lived experience.

I am very cautious of making blanket statements, as in life there are always exceptions or different realities for people, a quick example is Nigeria, there are many people suffering and struggling to eat or drink clean water, same Nigeria we have people like Davido and other ballers staying in Lekki phase 2 and Asoroko, lol. Do you think this “ballers” are experiencing Nigeria the same way as someone staying in Makoko/Surulere/Mushin or Diobi (lol, I am just joking).

What I am trying to say is that, some students come to Ireland and are employed even with Stamp 2 while still studying, and are sponsored for a critical skill, now this is an example of outliers, it is not a common occurrence. The vast majority of students usually struggle a bit harder to get a work permit.

There is also a Stamp 1G given to spouses of people who have Critical skill visa or Stamp 4, I did not dive into that, as this thread is solely from a student perspective.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Mcowubaba: 5:33am On Aug 05, 2022
SireSommy69:
Good morning guys.
Please, 1. I have a deadline of 30th of August to pay €8,000 of my tuition fee (NCI - Ireland) and I have applied for CBN's Form A (on the 3/8/2022 through Access Bank). Please, what should I do hasten it? So I can meet up?

2. My former and current employers never gave me payslips, but I am to provide a 6 Months payslip. I only received my salaries through my salary account, allowances as cash that's all nothing more. What do you advice?
I have approached my manager from the former work place, he has no idea what payslips are.

3. Seeing that I am aiming for January intake, what else should I be doing now with the time I have left?

I would really appreciate any help I can get from you guys here.

cheesy
Your questions are more immigration based from Nigeria.
My best knowledge is centered around living in Ireland not how to come to Ireland, I hope that makes sense.

Analogy: I can tell you how to fasten your seat belt and sit properly in the plane, but not how to buy your plane tickets and get to the airport cheesy

I will try to answer some questions:

Firstly, I don't live in Nigeria, it's been a long time I left, And I don't know some of the things you're talking about. I have heard about form A, if you have a connection in the bank that can help out, or call your bank's head office number and inform them about the urgency, like call them every day, lol

If you don't have payslips, I suppose your employment letter, bank statement and email showing salary alert may suffice

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by SireSommy69(m): 8:34am On Aug 05, 2022
Thank you.
Seeing that I am Ireland bound, I'd love to have your personal contact. If that's okay by you.
Mcowubaba:

cheesy
Your questions are more immigration based from Nigeria.
My best knowledge is centered around living in Ireland not how to come to Ireland, I hope that makes sense.

Analogy: I can tell you how to fasten your seat belt and sit properly in the plane, but not how to buy your plane tickets and get to the airport cheesy

I will try to answer some questions:

Firstly, I don't live in Nigeria, it's been a long time I left, And I don't know some of the things you're talking about. I have heard about form A, if you have a connection in the bank that can help out, or call your bank's head office number and inform them about the urgency, like call them every day, lol

If you don't have payslips, I suppose your employment letter, bank statement and email showing salary alert may suffice

Best of luck.
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Rashreli: 3:03pm On Jul 14, 2023
SireSommy69:
Thank you.
Seeing that I am Ireland bound, I'd love to have your personal contact. If that's okay by you.

Hi Sirsommy, lets connect please
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by dayjeee(m): 9:03am On Jan 05
Does anyone here know about the ireland critical skill employment permit
Re: Before Coming To Ireland Part 2. by Eefy12288: 12:27pm On Jan 09
Hello... I've a 3rd class degree in BSc Physiology and I'm interested in applying for post graduate studies in medical field in Ireland. The issue now is that part of the requirements in many schools I've searched is a 2nd class upper degree. What other options do you think I can explore with the aim of getting a good paying job after graduation?

(1) (Reply)

Please Which Bank Gives PTA In Less Than 24hrs / I Need To Travel This Year / Nigerians In Malta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.