Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,649 members, 7,820,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? (28966 Views)

Your Funny Experience Teaching Someone How To Drive / In 2040, You May Drive A Car That Looks Like This (Photos) / Thomas Jones: Who Is The First Nigerian To Drive A Car? (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by smallsmall: 12:50am On Apr 08, 2021
chival:
Years ago when I learnt to drive, I went to a driving school where I ended up learning absolutely nothing. The instructor would yell at the students so much, and then to top it all, all we did was drive down a road in an estate and then execute a U-turn. After doing this for two weeks straight, he would present you with a certificate and wish you well. After learning, I bought my car, and realized I still had a long way to go. Finally, my mum taught me. I should have just given her the money I wasted on the driving school. One of my neighbors who went to another driving school at about the same time I did, also had the same complaint.

The best person to teach one how to drive is somebody who loves you dearly.
Because it takes a lot of Patience nd understanding, to not react to some stupid things that learners do and no matter what, they know the danger you will face, if not properly taught. It may even mean death.

I mean, imagine you have told someone no less than ten times in the last ten minutes: When you reach a junctions, slow down or stop, look an dif it is safe, Proceed.
Then she reaches a Junction and just fly through, with other road users blaring their horns and almost killing both of you!
If you dont love that person, you may be tempted to just get down right at that junction.
But Love is Patient

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by eenai(m): 5:05am On Apr 08, 2021
I was lucky, my wife was driving her own car before we got married.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Ishilove: 9:17am On Apr 08, 2021
sharpwriter:

Then you have no problem. It is just accelerate and brake. Once you know the road. Be courageous to try it again with your instructor to teach you the basics. Once he stays beside you frequently. After a month or less, you should be able to drive it confidently.

Me just dey learn manual again after many years of abandoning it. My instructors already approved me to drive automatic without any problem. However, I still got some issues with the manual but I'm ok averagely. But I must confess, manual is frustrating and hard work.

It is good to know for all that mastering driving entails having access to readily available vehicle (yours or any vehicle that is free) for frequent practice if not you will learn today and forget tomorrow.

Some driving schools are even scams because of low driving time and the learner won't still master it with them if he has no car to practise with.
Thanks. My only challenge is keeping the steering straight and turning into curves. I have the rest pretty much covered.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by angelfallz(m): 9:18am On Apr 08, 2021
blesoh:

We must quarrel last last, last week i was trying to greet someone and he got angry that I'm still a learner, i should focus smiley

Lol. You should be focused. He is afraid of losing you.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by idahme(m): 9:35am On Apr 08, 2021
Ahmerdibnz:
Wahala oti poju.. when i was teaching my sister i shouted match break when we were facing one big wall but she just kept on accelerating, i was like God! Which kind wahala be this one u wan kill me ontop say you wan sabi car.. but my mom said it was because i shouted.

Your mum is right, once you shout at a learner the learner tends to take decision in frightened mode thereby affecting accurate decision. It's always advisable to avoid built up areas at the first week of the session. It's advisable d to send learners to professionals who know how to avoid these issues because of the experience they have gotten over the years.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by staymore: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2021
Wow! Very interesting thread. I have issues with my wife right now because I asked her not to drive my only car again for now. I started teaching her November last year and it was hell for her to improve, after a while she managebly pick up and was able to drop and pick my daughter from school daily. All of a sudden last month I noticed she has removed her learners sign, I cautioned her to always put it but she refused About two weeks ago when she left to drop my daughter in the morning, after a while I got her call from her, I was very scared if she has had an accident and I was right she collided face to face with a Honda Accord "08. She admitted it was her fault. I had to fix the other car and mine, I spent over 150k fixing both as the damages were huge. Hmmm! Since then i am very scared for her to drive again. Worse of it is her attitude now because I told her that she expects me to pay all the Bill's and still do school runs, that she is not helping me. Long story short. I now drop my daughter, pick her, pay Bill's and endure her attitude. God help me.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by idahme(m): 9:52am On Apr 08, 2021
DavidKajo94:
One of the most important thing when teaching anyone how to drive, is always make sure the car has a very good hand brake. As an instructor ur left hand is supposed to be on the hand brake thoughtout the teaching as long as the learner is the one handling the steering. That's my own secret for teaching how to drive, nd it really worked for me even for the 1st time I tot a lady how to drive. She almost smashed her brand new car to the goal post the football field we used, but thanks to the very effective hand brake. Don't ever make the mistake of depending on the learner to match brake when he or she is in panic.

Apt
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Princealoba(m): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2021
chiommy123:
Someone should teach me na so you can share your experience

If you are based in Lagos, no problem
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by vhuqnl(m): 12:41pm On Apr 08, 2021
Ishilove:

You and all these your women cheesy
iyawo nylon bag,,, very ridiculous title. disgusting too. what does it mean. ewww
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by pocohantas(f): 3:26pm On Apr 08, 2021
Ishilove:

Thanks. My only challenge is keeping the steering straight and turning into curves. I have the rest pretty much covered.

Let me get it. You gave up on your lessons? Haha!
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Ishilove: 3:31pm On Apr 08, 2021
pocohantas:

Let me get it. You gave up on your lessons? Haha!
My sister, na time dey hold me jare, and weekends are always my resting days.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Kfed4ril(m): 7:52pm On Apr 08, 2021
chiommy123:
Someone should teach me na so you can share your experience

Come and register in my driving school
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 5:26am On Apr 09, 2021
RIDOO:
My Mum once told me years back when 504 was in vougue,my dad was the one teaching her n that on this faithful day there was a serious argument/fight right on the field when teaching was going on.... that she left him with the car in annoyance.They got home seprately.
Fast forward to my own time...I shouted on the instructor of the driving school taking me and told him I'm not interested again ..on the first day when he wanted to remove breath out of my life"o fe yo lle aye kuro lemi mi"Me wey be say na my hubby pay n forced me to d driving school.. That will be d 2nd driving school l'm attending o...But people calmed me down..
God's willing na so l endured for 2wks o ..but that manual no easy@all.Now if them dash me trailer l fit drive.
I get trailer.. come drive make I see. lol
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by derbykol(f): 8:38am On Apr 09, 2021
femi4:
The use of side mirror when reversing seems difficult for them
Generally,almost all learners have that challenge.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by derbykol(f): 8:40am On Apr 09, 2021
Raxxye:
My neighbour in Port Harcourt drove her married boyfriend into an oncoming trailer in the process of him teaching her how to drive. The man died, but Priscilla survived. It was a huge loss to the man's family. He was a dtaff of Shell in Port Harcourt.
Kai
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by derbykol(f): 9:14am On Apr 09, 2021
angelfallz:

Why would you be teaching someone on a road where trailers are passing? Don't you[b][/b] bake your life and that of the person you're teaching?[b][/b]
grin cheesy
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by femi4: 9:52am On Apr 09, 2021
derbykol:
Generally,almost all learners have that challenge.
I do shout several times "use your mirror" else you ll find the vehicle in the gutters or hit another one
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by lebete3000: 11:24pm On Apr 09, 2021
EaglesEyes1:
I was with my ex-girlfriend in the car on a lonely road, she was in the driver seat and I was in the passenger seat. She was holding the steering wheel as if it will come off if she turn the steering wheel. The car started heading towards a parked damage trailer by the left hand side of the road, I told her to turn the steering wheel away from the direction of the trailer, but her hands were shaking on the steering wheel and her eyes opened wide as if she was looking at a scary ghost and she stepped her foot on the gas pedal, the car started going faster. I was there shouting brake! brake!!

I had just had to quickly switch the car off and raise the hand brake.

She quickly rushed out of the car and started shouting at me and saying 'it is not a force to know how to drive a car and not every women knows how to drive, that I shouldn't urge her to drive a car anymore'. I started laughing ooooo. she hissed and sat down in the passenger seat.

So guys, I guess yours might be more hilarious than mine.

You should have taught her what each basic component of a car interior is, and what they do, before handing over the steering wheel to her.

You're a horrible teacher, sorry. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by lebete3000: 11:30pm On Apr 09, 2021
sonnie10:
Back then I was teaching my landlord's daughter how to drive. She just had a new job and bought a car. We went to a quite open field a couple of times and she did so well. After a few days we decided it was time to hit the roads, not knowing that she did not know how to return the wheels after making a turn. So while on the road, she made a U turn but staying in lane was a problem because she kept the wheels at the same position. Consequently, the car continued in a circular motion in the middle of the very busy road and we landed on the center grass curb in a twinkle of an eye. Na God safe us! We were lucky everything was fine, we jejely switched places and headed home.

This just goes on to show how terrible most Nigerians are in teaching. When teaching anything in life, always assume the worst and start from the scratch. This way you'll better anticipate the person's deficiency and know how to fill that void.

Unfortunately in Naija, people teach whatever they like...

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:56pm On Apr 24, 2021
Ikwerelastborn:

Why is she ex wife? Did she die?
Died ke, i jappa. U right, Died in my heart.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:50am On Apr 25, 2021
EaglesEyes1:
I was with my ex-girlfriend in the car on a lonely road, she was in the driver seat and I was in the passenger seat. She was holding the steering wheel as if it will come off if she turn the steering wheel. The car started heading towards a parked damage trailer by the left hand side of the road, I told her to turn the steering wheel away from the direction of the trailer, but her hands were shaking on the steering wheel and her eyes opened wide as if she was looking at a scary ghost and she stepped her foot on the gas pedal, the car started going faster. I was there shouting brake! brake!!

I had just had to quickly switch the car off and raise the hand brake.

She quickly rushed out of the car and started shouting at me and saying 'it is not a force to know how to drive a car and not every women knows how to drive, that I shouldn't urge her to drive a car anymore'. I started laughing ooooo. she hissed and sat down in the passenger seat.

So guys, I guess yours might be more hilarious than mine.
Mine was even more funny.
My wife, we have been talking about her learning how to drive for ages. I keep encouraging her that its easy.
We started slowly with a manual car but she was complaining that manual is too complicated. So we decided to use my dream car that I just bought. Acura TL 2012, na so we enter road oo, with the little experience she has and me sitting beside her monitoring everything, she was able to move the car from our house to a Junction.
On getting to the Junction, I said brake down, let me turn the car around so we can go back. Instead of pressing brake. She marched the throttle hard and we started flying! 40km/hr down the street!.
I shouted brake brake! Madam just slammed her leg on the brake and our heads jerked so hard that they almost fell off!
She jumped out and said that's it! She's not doing again!
It took me 1 month to persuade her to take the wheel again and when she did, some stupid boys playing with a bike fell right in front of the car and she didn't march brake fast enough so the car ran over the bike. Thank God the boys were safe cuz the fell some distance away from the bike. Honestly it was not in anyway her fault but she won't drive again ever since that incident. I'm still trying to make her summon the courage to do it again.
The truth is she has tried so many times that I'm pretty convinced that she knows how to drive already but she has no courage to do it.
I recently told her that may God not let her see an emergency that will force her to pick up the car and drive!

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by CaptainAyub: 10:19am On Apr 26, 2021
Ishilove:

Its fluid movement, like you're carrying a bucket filled with water on your head so you gotta wriggle your trunk and tiny waist cheesy constantly to prevent d water filled bucket from tipping over.
Same way you gotta make small small left-right and right -left movt with d steering even on a straight road.
Watch other drivers closely and you'll learn.
Most conductors of public transport vehicles, nobody teaches them,they just learn by observation.
Another thing you gotta remember about the curves is,you turn and return d steering.If you turn and maintain it means you wanna go round in a circle.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Ishilove: 10:22am On Apr 26, 2021
CaptainAyub:

Its fluid movement, like you're carrying a bucket filled with water on your head so you gotta wriggle your trunk and tiny waist cheesy constantly to prevent d water filled bucket from tipping over.
Same way you gotta make small small left-right and right -left movt with d steering even on a straight road.
Watch other drivers closely and you'll learn.
Most conductors of public transport vehicles, nobody teaches them,they just learn by observation.
Another thing you gotta remember about the curves is,you turn and return d steering.If you turn and maintain it means you wanna go round in a circle.
Thanks a lot. How do you calculate the turns when you're passing by a gutter? I have this phobia of ending up in a gutter.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by CaptainAyub: 10:24am On Apr 26, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Mine was even more funny.
My wife, we have been talking about her learning how to drive for ages. I keep encouraging her that its easy.
We started slowly with a manual car but she was complaining that manual is too complicated. So we decided to use my dream car that I just bought. Acura TL 2012, na so we enter road oo, with the little experience she has and me sitting beside her monitoring everything, she was able to move the car from our house to a Junction.
On getting to the Junction, I said brake down, let me turn the car around so we can go back. Instead of pressing brake. She marched the throttle hard and we started flying! 40km/hr down the street!.
I shouted brake brake! Madam just slammed her leg on the brake and our heads jerked so hard that they almost fell off!
She jumped out and said that's it! She's not doing again!
It took me 1 month to persuade her to take the wheel again and when she did, some stupid boys playing with a bike fell right in front of the car and she didn't march brake fast enough so the car ran over the bike. Thank God the boys were safe cuz the fell some distance away from the bike. Honestly it was not in anyway her fault but she won't drive again ever since that incident. I'm still trying to make her summon the courage to do it again.
The truth is she has tried so many times that I'm pretty convinced that she knows how to drive already but she has no courage to do it.
I recently told her that may God not let her see an emergency that will force her to pick up the car and drive!
Buy her an old automatic pathfinder or 4runner make she use learn.
At least,if yawa gas na she fit wound person,not d other way.
After she learn finish,una go sell wetin she batter remain for the car as scrap grin
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by CaptainAyub: 10:32am On Apr 26, 2021
Ishilove:

Thanks a lot. How do you calculate the turns when you're passing by a gutter? I have this phobia of ending up in a gutter.
It's just a mental calculation and practice will make you perfect.I know its worse on your right hand side cos you're afraid d right rear tire will fall into d gutter esp if you are also turning right after exiting the gutter but if you leave just a little space on d right while you are exiting,nothing go happen
At worst just go very slowly and use d right side mirror to monitor that back.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by CaptainAyub: 10:50am On Apr 26, 2021
chival:
Years ago when I learnt to drive, I went to a driving school where I ended up learning absolutely nothing. The instructor would yell at the students so much, and then to top it all, all we did was drive down a road in an estate and then execute a U-turn. After doing this for two weeks straight, he would present you with a certificate and wish you well. After learning, I bought my car, and realized I still had a long way to go. Finally, my mum taught me. I should have just given her the money I wasted on the driving school. One of my neighbors who went to another driving school at about the same time I did, also had the same complaint.
Same thing I told my madam.
Driving school is a scam.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Ishilove: 12:03pm On Apr 26, 2021
CaptainAyub:

It's just a mental calculation and practice will make you perfect.I know its worse on your right hand side cos you're afraid d right rear tire will fall into d gutter esp if you are also turning right after exiting the gutter but if you leave just a little space on d right while you are exiting,nothing go happen
At worst just go very slowly and use d right side mirror to monitor that back.
You will make a very good teacher. Do you have a driving school?
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by CaptainAyub: 12:12pm On Apr 26, 2021
Ishilove:

You will make a very good teacher. Do you have a driving school?
Lol.
No.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by Ishilove: 1:10pm On Apr 26, 2021
CaptainAyub:

Lol.
No.
I de give injection
Ha, you be chemist? grin
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by CaptainAyub: 1:18pm On Apr 26, 2021
Ishilove:

Ha, you be chemist? grin
Lol,No.
Re: What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car? by pocohantas(f): 1:44pm On Apr 26, 2021
Ishilove:

If you ask, I will say don’t stress it. My girl is learning and everyday naso she dey send voice note full my WhatsApp. I told her, use all the space you want. As long as the coast is clear and you can see the oncoming lane, take bends from your safest point grin.

Everything gets better with time, the only thing that won’t get better if you shy away from it, is your reverse skills. Every other will fall into place. There is nothing special experts do, they just know their cars and routes. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Was Involved In An Accident Along Suleja-minna road. Viewer discretion advised / Man Almost Crushed His Young Son To Death With His Car / Is Driving A Power Bike Really A Suicide Mission.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.